• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

‘The Walking Dead’ – Season 7, Part 1 – Sundays on AMC

Status
Not open for further replies.

JDHarbs

I love that rendition of Don't Think Twice, It's Alright from the second episode. I wish a recording of it would be released.

This has been the worst episode I've ever seen from TWD.. I think I might actually be done watching the show and I never thought I'd get to that point. Really stunned at some of the responses here.

Bizarre pacing, weird montage or whatever you wanna call it in the beginning of the episode. Completely out of place song choices. Clearly they've been trying to take a page out of Breaking Bad's approach with the happy song/sad situation type editing but it's been failing horribly. Dwight's character has been so goddamn weak and his acting was atrocious in this episode. The scene with him and the dude who was escaping could have been out of The Room.. it was that bad (I'm thinking Denny on the rooftop with the drug dealer bad). When he was yelling "SHUT UP" over and over my girlfriend and I were laughing a lot. Horrifically written and acted scene, through and through, even if the ending was a little better. You'd think the most watched show on television would have more consistent quality with its writing and acting. Also.. awesome music squandered on two people we don't care about doing things we aren't invested in.

The only positives here are Daryl and Negan.. and why Daryl doesn't want to give in. I do like the connection they made with Dwight's situation but for me it was too little too late because I checked out after the show started (and forced myself to finish it).

I get they were trying to show the tediousness/bleakness of Daryl's situation but my god it doesn't translate to a good episode. If I have to hear that song again I'm going to lose it (yeah yeah, "that's the point" but it's a stupid point to make considering its execution).

We go from the most violent and intense episode ever shown on TV to a lighter, more heartfelt/warm one, then return to torturing Daryl and in some ways a repeat of what was shown in episode one (ie Negan threatening and tormenting Rick's group).. with boring and annoying repetition in regard to Daryl's fate. There were a few good moments (the best were when Negan or Daryl were speaking), but that was a a complete waste of time.

I thought Alexandria would have been the low point in terms of filler, time wasted, horrid acting and writing.. but I was wrong.

Really starting to lose all of my interest. :/

Loved the first episode
Hated with a passion the second episode - worst of the entire show to date
Loved the third episode

I actually thought the acting was amazing. It's nice you get to see the back story of Dwight. He actually appears likeable, you can empathise with him. He's as much a prisoner as Daryl is.

The soundtrack was brilliant. They used songs that were so catchy it would be torture on a loop. Also the soundtrack where Dwight was aiming his gun at that man..... wow.

I think it advanced the story loads. My hatred for the tiger and Ezekiel was well documented last week but my god they pulled it back.

Loved the first episode
Hated with a passion the second episode - worst of the entire show to date
Loved the third episode

I actually thought the acting was amazing. It's nice you get to see the back story of Dwight. He actually appears likeable, you can empathise with him. He's as much a prisoner as Daryl is.

The soundtrack was brilliant. They used songs that were so catchy it would be torture on a loop. Also the soundtrack where Dwight was aiming his gun at that man..... wow.

I think it advanced the story loads. My hatred for the tiger and Ezekiel was well documented last week but my god they pulled it back.

I agree about this episode. Thought it was brilliant.

Sorry about getting so uppity about your tiger spoilers a few weeks back! Thought it was a Negan thing, not some dopey new community. I didn't like that episode at all.

I agree about this episode. Thought it was brilliant.

Sorry about getting so uppity about your tiger spoilers a few weeks back! Thought it was a Negan thing, not some dopey new community. I didn't like that episode at all.

That's ok man it was my bad. I didn't understand the rules properly but now I do.

Yeah I seriously stopped reading the comics once the tiger came in. Just nope.

On one hand it makes the TV show completely new to me now with the stuff that will be coming but on the other hand... there is a tiger on TV now

Grizzlyjin

Supersonic, idiotic, disconnecting, not respecting, who would really ever wanna go and top that
Worst episodes ever? Did some of y'all just skip Season 2 entirely? Lol

C

Contica

Unconfirmed Member
Yeah I seriously stopped reading the comics once the tiger came in. Just nope.

On one hand it makes the TV show completely new to me now with the stuff that will be coming but on the other hand... there is a tiger on TV now

Why is the tiger such a no no? There are actually people out there in the world who have large cats as pets. Are they still dangerous? Hell yeah! But it does happen, so I don't really find this, among all the weird stuff in The Walking Dead, to be far fetched at all.

Why is the tiger such a no no? There are actually people out there in the world who have large cats as pets. Are they still dangerous? Hell yeah! But it does happen, so I don't really find this, among all the weird stuff in The Walking Dead, to be far fetched at all.

Tigers eat like 25 pounds of meat per day and Tigers raised in captivity will not eat rotten flesh. Carrion yes but not putrid.

Eventually it would attack the humans or they'd rebel against Ezekiel because of the sheer food consumption. It's just the most ridiculous shit ever.

Sony

Nintendo
JDM is killing it as Negan. He's having fun with this character, you can see it in everything. You're lucky Lucille isn't thirsty today... but I am!

Daryl not breaking was to be expected. Dude is as tough as nails, won't break because of a shitty song. Cool closer look at Dwight. Really tragic guy.

Wait the song was actually played the hall? I thought only the viewer heard the song and it wasn't in the show?

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
Wait the song was actually played the hall? I thought only the viewer heard the song and it wasn't in the show?

The song in the beginning during the montage was only audible to the audience.

The song that played over and over and over and over in Daryl's scenes was actually being played by Dwight and the other Saviors as a method of psychologically torturing Daryl.

C

Contica

Unconfirmed Member
Tigers eat like 25 pounds of meat per day and Tigers raised in captivity will not eat rotten flesh. Carrion yes but not putrid.

Eventually it would attack the humans or they'd rebel against Ezekiel because of the sheer food consumption. It's just the most ridiculous shit ever.

I don't know much about captive tigers, but I can't find anything about them not eating rotten meat.

They don't have to eat every day though. Most large cats will stock up on food, then possibly not eat for several days. Even in captivity, they're not necessarily fed every day. A large animal can sustain a tiger for a week in the wild.

We saw the pigs, it was mentioned they live wild now. Technically there could be a lot of wild pigs roaming around. Let's not forget the zombie outbreak happened years ago. That's a lot of time for animal populations to rise dramatically since there are far fewer people actually hunting them.

So, since it looked like there was no shortage of food in the kingdom, this isn't necessarily an issue at all. We'll see, if in a future episode they talk about how food i scarce in the kingdom, then I'll agree, keeping a tiger is stupid.

It was kinda obvious it was been played to torture him. He even reacted to it a few times - flinched and covered his ears.

I guess the director could have added a small 5 second scene of Dwight pushing play on a Hi-Fi or something to make it clear - maybe if there was not so many damn adverts they could have fit it in.

I don't know much about captive tigers, but I can't find anything about them not eating rotten meat.

They don't have to eat every day though. Most large cats will stock up on food, then possibly not eat for several days. Even in captivity, they're not necessarily fed every day. A large animal can sustain a tiger for a week in the wild.

We saw the pigs, it was mentioned they live wild now. Technically there could be a lot of wild pigs roaming around. Let's not forget the zombie outbreak happened years ago. That's a lot of time for animal populations to rise dramatically since there are far fewer people actually hunting them.

So, since it looked like there was no shortage of food in the kingdom, this isn't necessarily an issue at all. We'll see, if in a future episode they talk about how food i scarce in the kingdom, then I'll agree, keeping a tiger is stupid.

A friend of mine works in a zoo, the info I have comes from him.

They don't have to eat every day that's right, in the wild they can gorge on 100 pounds or more and then not eat for days. Let's just remember this is a captive tiger though. They are very different, especially reared since a cub like Ezekiel said.

I just think it's incredibly unnecessary and needlessly farfetched, and yes I know this is a zombie show but it's biggest draw is the realistic way they approach it

Well.. there seems to be plenty of horses around, and pigs... I would wager other animals as well that we don't see.. I'm sure things like that are helpful. ;)

Daryl tells Dwight that he gets it; that Dwight caved because he had people (Sherry) he cared for. It's the same reason Daryl won't work for Negan (cares about his fam in Alexandria).

I think it had more to do with Glenn. Darryl wouldn't give Negan the satisfaction after what Negan did to his friend. Its a 1:1 with Dwight's sister.

JoeNut

I thought it was a good episode but then i can't think of a time when i haven't thought that really. i guess im just easy to please

poppabk

Cheeks Spread for Digital Only Future

I couldn't tell if they were giving the wild caught pigs because they wanted to give pigs fed on zombie meat, or if they were getting desperate because they had ran out of pigs they had raised themselves.

What I really dislike about EP 2 and 3 is that they just didn't show anything about Rick/Alexandria. Especially in EP 2 it would have been so easy to switch between the two to change the pacing a bit.

It's a show about zombies I let my sense of what's real and sensible go after the first episode so i wouldn't constantly ask " why wouldn't they just ........"

I couldn't tell if they were giving the wild caught pigs because they wanted to give pigs fed on zombie meat, or if they were getting desperate because they had ran out of pigs they had raised themselves.

I assume it's because they want to feed Negan's people some tainted meat.
bob-stookey-109773.jpg

Bring on the ice-cream shitting taco I suppose
You can cling on to your realism all you want. You know exactly what I intended as I said this is the same show that had Lori's whole body devoured by one zombie or carol perfectly aiming a firework at a gas tank from that far away and hitting it dead on.

You can cling on to your realism all you want. You know exactly what I intended as I said this is the same show that had Lori's whole body devoured by one zombie or carol perfectly aiming a firework at a gas tank from that far away and hitting it dead on.
Completely agreed. Daryl driving the ambulance off the bridge was when I stopped caring about realism on TWD. The little details that are unrealistic don't bother me at all anymore, only real egregious stuff like Glenn and the dumpster. A tiger? I'm fine with just going along with it.

Completely agreed. Daryl driving the ambulance off the bridge was when I stopped caring about realism on TWD. The little details that are unrealistic don't bother me at all anymore, only real egregious stuff like Glenn and the dumpster. A tiger? I'm fine with just going along with it.
Maybe we should have a whole episode of shiva eating habits ?

Alpende

I thought it was an okay episode. So far they are doing a great job with Negan and it seems like they know what they're doing with Dwight. I'm not always the biggest fan of character centered episodes so I kind of wanted to see what Rick and co. were doing.

Ep 1 - Trump's America. All about fear and consequences.

Ep 2 - Clinton's America. All about hope and being stronger together.

Ep 3 - Back in Trumpland.

Maybe we should have a whole episode of shiva eating habits ?

It would fit the slow crawl of desperately trying to drag this show on forever perfectly. I like TWD but dedicating entire episodes to one or two central characters is getting old and feels like AMC is purposely making the plot move as slowly as possible.

jwk94

It was kinda obvious it was been played to torture him. He even reacted to it a few times - flinched and covered his ears.

I guess the director could have added a small 5 second scene of Dwight pushing play on a Hi-Fi or something to make it clear - maybe if there was not so many damn adverts they could have fit it in.
Wait I'm pretty sure they had a moment where someone pressed play.

It would fit the slow crawl of desperately trying to drag this show on forever perfectly. I like TWD but dedicating entire episodes to one or two central characters is getting old and feels like AMC is purposely making the plot move as slowly as possible.

I'd be happier if they stopped trying to adapt the comics. Just go do your own shit.

So Dwight/Negan's relationship is basically:

The weird thing about hanging out with Negan was that Dwight could hate him, and at the same time, still wanted Negan to like him. Dwight knew it was better being in the saviors hating life than to not be in it at all. Because being in the saviors is like being famous. People looked at you all the time and everybody just knew stuff about you.

Dwight wants Darryl to submit to confirm that he was right to do so himself or that he had no choice. I get why people wanted him to fake it (i did too at the time) but the inner conflict it's creating in Dwight is more interesting.

Surfinn

Lol so much season 2 hate here. Some of the best character development happened in lots of those episodes. Slow pace sure, and the story/location didn't move enough, but it's my second favorite season in the show. When you're not watching week to week it's much better (I initially hated it when it premiered).

We go from Rick/Shane to Dwight pointing a gun at some asshole we also don't care about who also can't act for shit? Sure, the story is moving along on paper, but the some people have REALLY lowered their expectations for the characters and their interactions with each other. That was the worst acted and written scene I've seen in the entire show.

TWD's biggest problem is that we spend too much time with characters we don't care about (which makes up a lot of the filler). Dwight, for me, is just another name on that ever growing list.

jroc74

Phone reception is more important to me than human rights
Lol so much season 2 hate here. Some of the best character development happened in lots of those episodes. Slow pace sure, and the story/location didn't move enough, but it's my second favorite season in the show. When you're not watching week to week it's much better (I initially hated it when it premiered).

We go from Rick/Shane to Dwight pointing a gun at some asshole we also don't care about who also can't act for shit? Sure, the story is moving along on paper, but the some people have REALLY lowered their expectations for the characters and their interactions with each other. That was the worst acted and written scene I've seen in the entire show.

TWD's biggest problem is that we spend too much time with characters we don't care about (which makes up a lot of the filler). Dwight, for me, is just another name on that ever growing list.

Wait, was Season 2 Sophia?

If so, damn some ppl and their tastes, opinions. That was a great season. Shane was amazing. And the Sophia reveal, cmon. That alone was amazing.

jroc74

I can't remember what Daryl did to Dwight for Dwight to hate him so much?

Nothing really. IIRC he helped them in the woods trying to escape the Saviors. They thanked him by stealing his bike and stuff.

Daryl was there defending the Dr when they shot her. Maybe Dwight is pissed about that.

Nothing really. IIRC he helped them in the woods trying to escape the Saviors. They thanked him by stealing his bike and stuff.

Daryl was there defending the Dr when they shot her. Maybe Dwight is pissed about that.

That's what I thought. It's like "sorry for defending myself and you stealing my stuff?" I thought Daryl had caused Dwight's burn and I had forgotten about it at first but this episode revealed otherwise

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
L+SD ratings:

Season 7

Episode 1: 17.0 million 8.4 A18-49
Episode 2: 12.5 million 6.1 A18-49
Episode 3: 11.7 million 5.7 A18-49

That was the lowest rated episode since season 4 episode 7!

bill0527

L+SD ratings:

Season 7

Episode 1: 17.0 million 8.4 A18-49
Episode 2: 12.5 million 6.1 A18-49
Episode 3: 11.7 million 5.7 A18-49

That was the lowest rated episode since season 4 episode 7!

So 40% of the audience weren't kidding when they said they were done with this after that 1st episode massacre.

jroc74

That's what I thought. It's like "sorry for defending myself and you stealing my stuff?" I thought Daryl had caused Dwight's burn and I had forgotten about it at first but this episode revealed otherwise

I look at the Saviors as a cult. Dwight might as well be brainwashed.

I look at the Saviors as a cult. Dwight might as well be brainwashed.

I get that but it seemed like Dwight had a grudge with Daryl beyond that. Maybe it is actual jealousy with the way he is wearing his jacket and using his crossbow. If anything it's Eugene he should be pissed at

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom