• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

‘The Walking Dead’ – Season 7, Part 2 – Sundays on AMC

Grizzlyjin

Supersonic, idiotic, disconnecting, not respecting, who would really ever wanna go and top that
lmfao
how the hell does the tiger know who to attack?
legit cracked up @ the coffin scene even though it was supposed to be serious

I actually asked myself the same thing. Doesn't seem like a good idea on a crowded battlefield. It's just comic book silliness though hehe

Episode was alright. The Sasha moment was pretty contrived. But at least they tried to give it impact with the flashbacks. Would've preferred they did that but cut between scenes of her going out guns blazing a few episodes ago.

There were several really good scenes in the episode amidst the poor writing, wheel spinning, contrivances, and other shit that consistently plague this show. And that's what makes it such a frustrating watch. I actually turned to my girlfriend at one point (might have been during Rick's "it won't change anything" annual moment of letting Andrew Lincoln shine) and said something to the effect of "damn, this show has the ability to have these great moments but they are few and far between".

It won't ever happen because of the commercial success of the show, but I'd love to see 8 episode seasons 16 is faaaaaar too much and the show suffers hard from it..

with 16 episodes they could have told waaay more story instead of those dumbass 1 character episodes and all the filler scenes.
wow....sounds like i made a good choice. doesn't sound all that good to me.
I agree with you sir. But the general consensus was that it was good

Nokagi

Unconfirmed Member
lmfao

Would have been great if the Tiger had attacked Rick or Carl. Oops.

The whole Rosita/Sasha thing was bullshit anyway.

Yeah. That's why I felt nothing when she died. It didn't make any sense for her to even be in that situation to begin with. It was all a pointless and unbelievable setup for that coffin scene.

This show used to be relentless with it's pace and uncaring about killing people off, this finale felt way too fucking safe and way too fucking dragged out. There was no reason it had to be 85 minutes, absolutely none, and this shit is long past feeling like an excuse to just air more commercials. Their economy of storytelling is poor, and the trash people are a clear example of that. They had absolutely no purpose but to kill time.

I still love JDM, he brings Negan to life from the comics in a consistently mesmerizing way, and Andrew Lincoln always delivers too. But the show having to fill that 16 episode order sucks the life out of it, the amount of ground they covered this season could have been covered in 8 episodes or even less. I love quiet, atmospheric moments and character building as much as anyone, but there was more wheel spinning and repetitive stagnation this season than moments like that.

This is my main issue with the show. When I watch a bunch of old episodes in a row on Netflix without any commercials I love the show. When I watch a new episode on AMC I hate it every single time.

I like that the show is full of weird, moody synthesizer-scored interludes, but none of it carries any weight when it is interrupted by a grueling barrage of commercials, half of which are for Walking Dead tie-in crap like cell phone games. Don't even get me started on Chris Hardwick's face popping up on the screen after every dramatic moment to manically beg me to watch his shitty Walking Dead talk show. It's like watching the Super Bowl. I'm​ definitely not watching next season as it airs.

ZOONAMI

I actually asked myself the same thing. Doesn't seem like a good idea on a crowded battlefield. It's just comic book silliness though hehe

Episode was alright. The Sasha moment was pretty contrived. But at least they tried to give it impact with the flashbacks. Would've preferred they did that but cut between scenes of her going out guns blazing a few episodes ago.

Tiger training to only attack bad dudes.

hokahey

Ezekial needs to be nuked into oblivion too. What a cornball character and performance.

Couldn't disagree more. One of the few characters that lives up to his comic book counterpart.

When he arrived and gave his speech I was thrilled. More so than I've been all season.

Couldn't disagree more. One of the few characters that lives up to his comic book counterpart.

When he arrived and gave his speech I was thrilled. More so than I've been all season.

I see where he's coming from though, whether it's true to his comic book roots or not the way he talks is just an act and it's corny as fuck and out of place in a fucking zombie ass apocalypse.

sloppyjoe_gamer

Gold Member
"•Entertainment Weekly - Scott M. Gimple says Season 8 will 'melt your face'"

They are the masters at overhyping and under-delivering. So much of season 7 was complete dragged out garbage, and the worst part was seeing Hardwick on Talking Dead sit there and act all super impressed and being forced to act like it was such great material. The finale for me was meh at best....ill echo what many others here said which is it was awful that we still have no key Savior character deaths. Seeing Ricks group mount some sort of an offense last night was good, but it seemed overall not very impactful at all and didn't make up for such an asstastic season.

I was waiting for the big moment that Lincoln and Reedus were overhyping in interviews where they "jumped up and down" after reading the script....where was it? Was it the tiger? I don't get it.....none of what I saw last night justified that excitement. If Dwight, Simon or Negan died or there was some huge fight where one of them got severely maimed, then ok, maybe.

And it's SOOOOO obvious that Eugene is dying in season 8 in some big way to redeem himself and save Rick and Company.

I honestly don't know if I can take another season like this one, so we'll see how I feel come October.

ColdPizza

Banned
I see where he's coming from though, whether it's true to his comic book roots or not the way he talks is just an act and it's corny as fuck and out of place in a fucking zombie ass apocalypse.

To be fair, he did kind of explain why he used that schtick earlier this season.

Grizzlyjin

Supersonic, idiotic, disconnecting, not respecting, who would really ever wanna go and top that
So I've read two different synopses...was Dwight in on the double-cross?

The Trash People betraying Rick? No. Dwight is playing it straight, or at least that's what the show wants you to believe. He left a message that said he didn't know. Dwight gaining Rick's confidence didn't gain The Savior's any type of advantage either, so I wouldn't see the point in sending him to lay a trap, getting slowed down by said trap, and then still playing nice when you get to the gates.

To be fair, he did kind of explain why he used that schtick earlier this season.

yes but it doesn't make it any less annoying...for those followers of his who want a leader like that need a slap to the face and wake up call that just because a leader talks like some king in a fairy tale doesn't literally make him one. a zombie can still bite him and kill him.

ColdPizza

Banned
The Trash People betraying Rick? No. Dwight is playing it straight, or at least that's what the show wants you to believe. He left a message that said he didn't know. Dwight gaining Rick's confidence didn't gain The Savior's any type of advantage either, so I wouldn't see the point in sending him to lay a trap, getting slowed down by said trap, and then still playing nice when you get to the gates.

But wasn't he in the scene with Simon and Negan saying plan B is ready?

hokahey

Someone needs to make a Walking Dead cycle.

People die in brutal fashion - it's too brutal!

No one dies in brutal fashion - it's boring!

Grizzlyjin

But wasn't he in the scene with Simon and Negan saying plan B is ready?

He was. He's still in Negan's inner circle so Negan must be telling him and Simon what the next step is. Sending Dwight as a mole doesn't make much sense since Negan already knew about the uprising and came to punish them. Negan's "little birdy" told him all of this, and presumably the deal with the Trash People, was made before Dwight got near Rick's group.

And if Negan wanted a mole, Eugene would probably be a better choice.

ColdPizza

Banned
Dwight sidnt know about trash people

He was. He's still in Negan's inner circle so Negan must be telling him and Simon what the next step is. Sending Dwight as a mole doesn't make much sense since Negan already knew about the uprising and came to punish them. Negan's "little birdy" told him all of this, and presumably the deal with the Trash People, was made before Dwight got near Rick's group.

And if Negan wanted a mole, Eugene would probably be a better choice.

makes sense. thanks.

How is black sails?

It's the best show on TV right now. Well, I guess it's not on any longer, as last night was the series finale. It is very much worth your time for the 38 episodes and roughly 40 hours of content it provides. Amazing production values, incredible performances. S1 is considered slow, but it's a crapload of setup for all the amazing stuff that comes in seasons 2-4.

Moofers

My wife and I woke up early so we could watch this before work and we both really enjoyed it. I know TWD is an inconsistent watch in the way that we always see room for what feels like obvious improvement, BUT we always enjoy it and this episode really delivered.

Can't wait for next season!

The main thing that bothers me about them. Especially since ALL of them talk that way like some hive mind that all dissolved into cavemen together. You're telling me every single one of them don't have a spark of personality left in them?

It also looked like, in the background shots that had Daryl and Rosita shooting, the trash people were still just aiming their guns at them as if they had no idea what to do. They had the complete advantage over them and did fuck all.

The trash people spent so many years hiding in a garbage dump they forgot how to talk. Most of them have no idea how to fight. In retrospect, recruiting them as an army was probably a mistake even if they had been loyal.

I thought it was bad for the reasons others have pointed out. A few things to add that were probably said somewhere:

1) I feel that at least a few more minor characters should have died. It was a major gun battle, and only Sasha died...and pre-battle to boot. They could spare Dwight and Negan, that's fine, but the garbage pals leader (or her second in command, the old guy) or Simon were good targets for death. The battle just has no impact when only people you've never seen before (or maybe once or twice briefly) are the ones dying in it.

2. The worst part of the final battle was how Rick and crew appeared to be winning or at least holding their ground after the coffin debacle and zombie Sasha. Then the next thing you know, they are easily defeated and Rick and Carl are on their knees. Of course, don't wait to actually defeat everyone before giving a speech, Negan, as we still hear gunshots in the distance, just ham it up with the battle still apparently happening, but still victory was ensured somehow? And I think the problem with the whole battle is how rushed it was. You had so much of the episode focused on flashbacks, and of course setup (when the whole damn season was setup) that you had a rushed final battle that made no sense, from how quickly one side gained an advantage, to the silly and easy escape made possible with just a few homemade smoke bombs. Well hey, at least the season didn't end on a ridiculous cliffhanger, so there's that. And maybe things will actually happen next season unlike this one. They better, or ratings will continue to fall.

I just read a synopsis. The trash people drive around in garbage trucks? Because why wouldn't they, right? Haha.

And bikes. That was my favorite part.

Jadis's betrayal was explained in pidgin, but it made sense to me. Just like they kidnapped Gabriel, she had Tamiel stake out and follow the Saviors to make a deal. Negan obviously knew what was going on. The misdirection was that Gregory was the "little bird" but he only really knew about Maggie and Hilltop. And Negan didn't send anyone to Hilltop and didn't even know Maggie was alive until he saw her, so I wonder what became of Gregory.

Also, Jadis is the name of the White Witch of Narnia. Tamiel is a fallen angel. Your standard Walking Dead "subtlety."

tumblr_ontfzpQZb31qfu1wuo1_540.gif

tumblr_ontfzpQZb31qfu1wuo3_540.gif

tumblr_ontfzpQZb31qfu1wuo2_540.gif

lol

Don't fuck with Carl Poppa.

Pretty impressive because with one eye, a hat and long hair, he can't see that guy until he's facing him.

lmfao

The tiger is smart enough not to attack any main characters. Negan holding up a baseball bat and looking threatening, about to kill someone? Attack the no name dude directly behind him.

Surfinn

There were a few hints in previous episodes that Negans group were in contact with another group.
The times where Negan mentioned about receiving news of Rick's plans from a "little birdie." The little birdie were the trash people.

Thanks, I totally forgot about this. Still felt pretty contrived though.

Soon as Negan said he was going to kill Carl all the tension disappeared. Was so obvious a rescue was imminent. They shouldn't use plot armored characters like that.

And Rick's speech, just like the red-handled machete in Terminus.

"I'm about to rattle off some epic bullshit about how I'm going to kill you because unbeknownst to me Carol has a bottle rocket and/or a tiger is about to come fuck up your people something serious."

It all looks good on TV and comes across as amazing, but it's so full of terrible writing and story holes it makes me cringe.

One of these times I want Rick to start blabbing about how he's gonna kill this person and have that person just shoot him and say, "Enough blathering."

ZOONAMI

And Rick's speech, just like the red-handled machete in Terminus.

"I'm about to rattle off some epic bullshit about how I'm going to kill you because unbeknownst to me Carol has a bottle rocket and/or a tiger is about to come fuck up your people something serious."

It all looks good on TV and comes across as amazing, but it's so full of terrible writing and story holes it makes me cringe.

One of these times I want Rick to start blabbing about how he's gonna kill this person and have that person just shoot him and say, "Enough blathering."

So much plot armor. I knew 100% either a sniper round was going to hit Negan as he was about to swing, or something else would happen.

Kind of would have been cooler if a round just destroyed negans head and then everyone else would be kind of like, now what for a second, then have the kingdom and hilltop show up and start blasting.

So much plot armor. I knew 100% either a sniper round was going to hit Negan as he was about to swing, or something else would happen.

Kind of would have been cooler if a round just destroyed negans head and then everyone else would be kind of like, now what for a second, then have the kingdom and hilltop show up and start blasting.

that's actually exactly what i was expecting.

Pilgrimzero

I was thinking the bullet would blast apart Lucile and then the action starts.

ElyrionX

I'm too invested in this goddamn show to quit now but that finale is one of the worst shit I've ever seen. The pacing is so goddamn awful and those Abraham and Sasha scenes were so goddamn pointless.

I'm too invested in this goddamn show to quit now but that finale is one of the worst shit I've ever seen. The pacing is so goddamn awful and those Abraham and Sasha scenes were so goddamn pointless.

that's another thing - i could kinda tell the whole time they were sort of foreshadowing sasha dying and it would be her and abraham together again,

here's the thing with that though. if the main theme of this finale was just sasha's demise and she knew she was gonna die, i wanted more cameos; like maybe one of bob but for sure I wanted to see her having a vision of Tyreese. it's like she doesn't even remember him anymore but she's about to be reuinited with him as well.

and now they're both fuckin dead.

ColdPizza

Banned

It's made worse by the fact that previous seasons did little to show how their relationship blossomed. As far as I can tell, Abraham just stopped liking Rosita and started liking Sasha out of the blue and Sasha showed little to no reciprocation. It's mind boggling they're trying to make this a thing after the fact.

It's a damn good thing Dwight had the carving, a sharpie, and the opportunity to hide that thing in a tiny little place that Daryl happened to find... otherwise everyone might think he was actually in on it! ;)

Of course the garbage people would be delivered via garbage trucks.

Overall I thought it was an enjoyable finale that was nicely focused. Sasha wasn't one of my favorite characters but I thought that was a good send off. Loved the tension with Negan scenes and nice to see that Tiger show up and do something. Bear Mccreary killing it with the score in that big combat scene. Sorta surprised so many dislike the Ep because I thought it was pretty fun.

BearPawB

Banned
Yet another season passes and what really has changed?
They are in the exact same position they started the season in.

What a joke.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
It's a damn good thing Dwight had the carving, a sharpie, and the opportunity to hide that thing in a tiny little place that Daryl happened to find... otherwise everyone might think he was actually in on it! ;)

Well he did hit Rosita with it, AFAIK.

Top Bottom