• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

‘The Walking Dead’ – Season 7, Part 2 – Sundays on AMC

ZeoVGM

Banned
Eh, wasn't a big fan of the trash people twist.

I'm more pissed off that not big evil player got killed. Negan, Dwight, Simon, weird trash lady. I wanted her dead so bad. She's so fucking weird and she shot my boy Rick. Overall, thought it was an OK ending.

While I agree that Simon or Trash Lady could have bitten the bullet, killing off Negan or Dwight makes absolutely no sense for the narrative of the show or the characters. Dwight's story is clearly just beginning.

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
A group of weird people living in a garbage dump, who made Rick fight an Iron Maiden from RE4, turned out not to be trustworthy? What a surprise.

lol

Carl Wick

That was surprisingly cool. Go Carl!

Ok yeah, I'm done with this show lol.

ARMOR INTENSIFIES

yzoW5yg.jpg

That Tiger is a fucking legend yo.

How did the Tiget not die though? Is it that fast and shit?

Tiget is strong

Another protracted stretched out season coming soon. Why must this show do this. I don't understand, it's so unnecessary because there's plenty of existing material.

This season covered roughly* 3 volumes of the comic and seasons 6 and 5 covered roughly* 3 each as well; seasons 4 and 3 covered roughly* 4 volumes each; seasons 2 and 1 only covered 1 volume each.

The comic has large stretches where "nothing happens", so really, as far as the comic goes, the show isn't stretching anything out - it's actually moving through its source material at a pretty quick pace.

It's almost mind-boggling how complex of a con this show is. Physicists should herald the discovery of a perpetual motion machine.The writers basically swapped out a season finale with a teaser trailer for another 16 episodes of filler and got away with it, again.

Out Marvel-ing Marvel's own TV shows tbh~

clickbait garbage

I like Gimple, but at this point he needs to go or put his foot down on AMC meddling. It's clear these cliffhangers for clear Comic transitions of Arcs is on him/AMC to do for the sake of padding seasons out for the (what was it...) porported 18 seasons they planned to do or so.

this isn't a thing

Ecotic

After watching the ending fight in the rerun it bothered me how no one in Rick's group died in the final firefight. Most should have died just performing that turnaround attempt that Carl initiated.

Van Bur3n

Fucking trash people. Just having them speak properly would've improved the season so much.

The main thing that bothers me about them. Especially since ALL of them talk that way like some hive mind that all dissolved into cavemen together. You're telling me every single one of them don't have a spark of personality left in them?

After watching the ending fight in the rerun it bothered me how no one in Rick's group died in the final firefight. Most should have died just performing that turnaround attempt that Carl initiated.

It also looked like, in the background shots that had Daryl and Rosita shooting, the trash people were still just aiming their guns at them as if they had no idea what to do. They had the complete advantage over them and did fuck all.

ZeoVGM

Banned
Majority of the episode was garbage and it would be nice if they give some type of subtle hints or something instead of "we made new deal with group you came to us about" flying out of no where.

No indication they even knew who the saviors were before Rick and Co. came to them and no hints they sought them out afterwards.

I hate those characters but this seems like a strange complaint. If the Trash People already knew about the Saviors before Rick came to them why would they give an indication to Rick? They're going to stick with the group they already know and perhaps have deals with as it is.

SamuraiX-

John Wick Carl

I wonder if that were actually inspired by John Wick for that moment. That's what instantly came to mind

Highlight of the finale for me.

Carl was just waiting for opportunity. What a savage execution.

His most badass moment yet.

Gotta say though that action choreography was pretty mediocre. Saviors and Scavengers just running at Alexandrians without even raising their weapons. Scenes where guns were being fired with nice looking recoil and kickback while other scenes with zero recoil. Everyone unlocking Hershel's infinite ammo glitch. Saviors and Scavengers suddenly having the reflexes of baked potatoes. The list goes on.

It's a shame because the show has shown nice potential with gun fighting scenes. Terminus comes to mind.

Eh, wasn't a big fan of the trash people twist.

I'm more pissed off that not big evil player got killed. Negan, Dwight, Simon, weird trash lady. I wanted her dead so bad. She's so fucking weird and she shot my boy Rick. Overall, thought it was an OK ending.

What's weird is that none of Rick's people and the King's people died. I mean Sasha was gonna die regardless, but you have Michonne in the brink of being killed and then magically she throws the girl off the roof when she is almost being thrown off herself. Plus, on E1 of this season you see Negan and his crew being so meticulous, herding everyone into place before coming out with Lucille. In this one instance, he still has people fighting and the place is not secured before he has a conversation with Rick about it.

I'm getting tired of TWD, I'm glad its ratings are dropping.

sinkfla87

I thought it was one of the better episodes of WD I'd seen in ages. When it was over I wondered if there were people hating on the episode on GAF... and lo and behold haha. Personally I'm okay with no one (else) on Rick's team dying. If you notice the major savior characters didn't die, either. Gives us something to look forward to in the next season between the characters, and I think it threw people who were expecting more deaths to happen (because finale/premiere deaths are cliche WD) for a loop. God knows it won't be that shitty scavenger group everyone is waiting to see. Wish they were savagely eaten by Shiva.

EDIT: and before you comment that this isn't realistic, this is a zombie show featuring a pet tiger and people who have gladiator fights in a mad Max fucking thunderdome made of trash.

SamuraiX-

Content Roundup – Episode 716: “The First Day of the Rest of Your Life”

sRO3e7z.jpg

AMC Inside The Walking Dead:
  • The Making of Episode 716, “The First Day of the Rest of Your Life” - AMC
  • Inside Episode 716: “The First Day of the Rest of Your Life” - AMC
  • Wrapping Up Season 7 of The Walking Dead - AMC
  • Farewell to the Fallen of The Walking Dead Season 7 Finale - AMC
Producer & Cast Interviews:
Critic Reviews:
Talking Dead's Inside The Dead
  • This episode featured a tribute to a popular John Carpenter film. Negan's gun was inspired by the one Snake Plissken used in "Escape from New York."
  • Tonight's episode was the first since Season 2 to feature only one walker. The last to do so was when Dale died.
  • Cooper Andrews did not want Jerry to go into this battle without his axe. A special sling was made at his request.
PLEASE SPOILER TAG ALL PREVIEW/PROMO AND GRAPHIC NOVEL DISCUSSION. REVIEW THE OP FOR COMPLETE THREAD RULES ON SPOILERS.

Chumley

Banned
This show used to be relentless with it's pace and uncaring about killing people off, this finale felt way too fucking safe and way too fucking dragged out. There was no reason it had to be 85 minutes, absolutely none, and this shit is long past feeling like an excuse to just air more commercials. Their economy of storytelling is poor, and the trash people are a clear example of that. They had absolutely no purpose but to kill time.

I still love JDM, he brings Negan to life from the comics in a consistently mesmerizing way, and Andrew Lincoln always delivers too. But the show having to fill that 16 episode order sucks the life out of it, the amount of ground they covered this season could have been covered in 8 episodes or even less. I love quiet, atmospheric moments and character building as much as anyone, but there was more wheel spinning and repetitive stagnation this season than moments like that.

Abe and Sasha was a thing for all of about 2 minutes. Why the fuck are they making out like they've been kindred spirits for all eternity?

The Rubbish Rabble turning on Rick was the most predictable thing I've ever seen. "We win." Urgh.

Soon as Negan said he was going to kill Carl all the tension disappeared. Was so obvious a rescue was imminent. They shouldn't use plot armored characters like that.

Lonestar

I joined for Erin Brockovich discussion
What's weird is that none of Rick's people and the King's people died. I mean Sasha was gonna die regardless, but you have Michonne in the brink of being killed and then magically she throws the girl off the roof when she is almost being thrown off herself. Plus, on E1 of this season you see Negan and his crew being so meticulous, herding everyone into place before coming out with Lucille. In this one instance, he still has people fighting and the place is not secured before he has a conversation with Rick about it.

I'm getting tired of TWD, I'm glad its ratings are dropping.

That's a nod to a moment in the Comic, but not as well done.

This is an abstract thought for the level of this show but living in a garbage dump could lead to the craziness of methane and natural gas which causes some brain damage.

I would not expect this to be explained ever.

My prediction, the garbage people are going to suffer at the hands of the saviors the next season and the remaining survivors of that group rethink their strategy, Eugene and Dwight team up, some progress is made but ultimately the survivors overcome. One or two main characters die on the "good side" but Dwight probably dies trying to down Negan but someone else emerges (i wonder who...GTA5) and the war continues. Zombies and the tired theme of "who are the real monsters" is going to keep being the focus.

Also the tiger would murder everyone but would be shot to death immediately. I can get with having the tiger survive but that was the only fun part that the kingdom can bring about.

I've kept up with this show for long enough, I'm done. Suffered enough, I'd rather watch HGTV and I don't expect any appreciable payoff this next season.

Also, watching the series ending of Black Sails right before this did not help. That show is a gem, so underrated from start to finish.

Gotta say this show is just spinning it's wheels at this point. I think it should be 10-12 episodes a season, but AMC will never let that happen. It could solve a number of problems that plague this show.

I think I'll continue binging on 3-4 episodes at a time next season. Watching one episode feels like a waste since there is so much filler anymore.

I still have issues with most of the major characters only being written off when they sign on to other major projects that take them away from the show.

The setup with the coffin was stupid. What the hell is the point of putting Sasha in one? No point at all except the writers needed some way to make the "surprise" moment happen. "Oh you want to be confined in a coffin for hours? Nothing suspicious about that!"

Chumley

Banned
The setup with the coffin was stupid. What the hell is the point of putting Sasha in one? No point at all except the writers needed some way to make the "surprise" moment happen. "Oh you want to be confined in a coffin for hours? Nothing suspicious about that!"

Yeah that was baffling. Negan would be like "what the fuck? no I'm not putting you in a coffin, that shit is weird"

big_z

I wonder how the show runners are feeling now that they've stretched the lowest viewed season into yet another. The way that they rehash the same arc over and over, focus on the character they'll kill off and other cookie cutter bullshit makes watching this boring as hell. This is my series finale, I cant do it anymore and lol at the music during the poorly choreographed fight.

Who wrote and choreographed that gunfighting scene? It was trash tier.

So much convenience and plot armor. Felt like the only instructions the actors got were "just shoot in random directions and run around a bit .. we will cut it together later"
And the kicker was Rick and trashlady just standing in the open and bargaining. Really? No one takes a shot at two people standing right in the open? It's just getting so stupid, that it's really really hard to suspend your disbelief.

And speaking of filler: For a well paced season this episode should have been the midseason finale. And the war the second half of the season.
5 to 6 Episodes would have been enough to get alliances and weapons. And just cut out trash people completely.
Or just hire better writers if you want to continue to stretch out your seasons.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
Well .. last season's finale was a huge fuck up for the cliff hanger, this season's was a huge fuck up for how completely uneventful it was.

At the very least one of the 3 big-bad's should have died for some kind of closure.

I think that was a really badly directed action sequence. I couldn't keep track of what was going on.

It seemed like at first the garbage people had everyone at point blank then there's a boom fight.

Then everyone is running around shooting people that are 5ms away.

Just didn't seem so great, nice reinforcements are here! Moment i guess.

tolkir

The Negan's escape was like a episode of Batman '66. Terrible.

Probably I will drop the tv show, rarely I watch a tv show with 7 seasons or more because everything starts to be the same.

lmfao
how the hell does the tiger know who to attack?
legit cracked up @ the coffin scene even though it was supposed to be serious

number11

I stopped watching this show 3-4 episodes into the new season. I've continued to record the show each week.. but I'm guessing it's time to just give up?

Probably 3rd or 4th in my season finale rankings. (1 > 2 > 3 = 7, for me) It was okay. The Sasha jumps came together in the end. Glad Carl didn't go down without a fight. The action sequence at the end lost me once or twice, particularly with the trash people. The scene with Jadis chucking a grenade, for instance, I couldn't tell where they were attacking from nor whom they were directing their attacks at. It was Alexandria, but at the time I thought they were pulling some triple-agent nonsense ...after pulling some double-agent nonsense. Other than that, not many complaints from me. Excited to see how Dwight operates as a spy for Alexandria. No idea what's going to happen with Eugene.

Cmagus

Pretty lackluster overall. The problem with the show is that it has no impact, no surprises or anything at this point. The pacing this season has been horrible and the finale was poor. I dunno I honestly felt this entire season was a waste of time and the season was a complete drag it really needed a better finale to finish it off and it didn't deliver. The fight scene was awful and a mess, the whole coffin thing was dumb and all the Sasha stuff was boring.

Sasha's death
should have been better but instead its like
zombie Sasha
ok lets move on with no impact and a dumb back and fourth with Abe to force emotions and it all fell flat.

LifEndz

That fight scene reminded me of the live action shows they used to do at Universal Studios theme park: poor choreography and cheesy dialogue. Then there's the trash people....ugh. Well, at least the exposition phase is over and next season will be the all-out war.

Corpsepyre

Banned
It's evident they don't have 16 bloody episodes to fill, and it really shows here. The whole season was a fucking drag and fragmented. It's time they changed showrunners and the writing team because having a total of 3 or 4 (yes, that's how many good episodes we had this season) decent episodes doesn't excuse the rest of the cringe worthiness on display.

dyergram

Negan had some cool moments in this ep. But over all it was frustraighting and absurd. I'm going to just try and enjoy it for what it is from now on. My god that speech at the end though Jesus Christ so so bad.

I told my wife I watched 2 shows for the last time last night. Black Sails (which is great, but last night was the series finale), and The Walking Dead. There is just too much good TV and so little time to be watching trash like this anymore. I will do what I ended up doing with the comics. Once a year I read the comic Wiki to see what has happen in TWD universe since the last time. Now at that time I will also check to see what has happen on the TV show. I am sure it will be just as satisfying as watching it.

KrisB

Yeah I don't get the garbage people twist. Like there was no hint there was a deal with Negan or even that it was possible they could have been in contact. Can someone help me understand how it makes any sense for them to play Rick and strike a deal with Negan?

There were a few hints in previous episodes that Negans group were in contact with another group.
The times where Negan mentioned about receiving news of Rick's plans from a "little birdie." The little birdie were the trash people.

Solo

"WE'RE GOING TO WAR!*"

*In episode 16 of Season 8. Tune in for 15 episodes of trash first though!

This was much better than last year's finale (anything would have been), but it was still awful.

reception to the finale looks really positive, so i'm expecting the ratings/viewership or whatever to be higher for the season 8 premier.

illamap

I thought it was great episode. Got the feels so that's all that matters to me. But i agree seasons could be shortened to 12 episodes.

Solo

There were several really good scenes in the episode amidst the poor writing, wheel spinning, contrivances, and other shit that consistently plague this show. And that's what makes it such a frustrating watch. I actually turned to my girlfriend at one point (might have been during Rick's "it won't change anything" annual moment of letting Andrew Lincoln shine) and said something to the effect of "damn, this show has the ability to have these great moments but they are few and far between".

It won't ever happen because of the commercial success of the show, but I'd love to see 8 episode seasons 16 is faaaaaar too much and the show suffers hard from it..

Top Bottom