• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

°Marvel vs Capcom 3° NeoGAF tournament of salt and pringles

Karsticles said:
Saturday/Sunday is probably not a good idea, since Monday is our deadline. ;-)

If you have the time, I can actually play tonight so we can get it done ASAP.

I don't want to play Tuesday because IPW has the UMvC3 tournament going on - I'll be glued to the stream for sure.

Wednesday can work if you don't want to play now - let me know, I'll stay online for a bit to check.
unfortuantely not today, got class soon. Hopefully Wednesday at the time specified for sure.

Alright. Wednesday I have class until 1PM EST. You can expect me on at about 2PM, and I'll probably take 20 minutes or so to do warmup matches.

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
SephirothRK said:
SephirothRK vs Jetman81

7-6

ggs. Used Modok team then wolverine then the last team i stayed on was MSS.
MSS is so good when played right, xD I remember you raped me with them when the game first came out and I was still getting used to the engine

JeTmAn81

QisTopTier said:
MSS is so good when played right, xD I remember you raped me with them when the game first came out and I was still getting used to the engine
Lol, MSS was his spamming team when the others weren't quite getting it done against Task arrows and Jam Session. Ironically, I don't do well against spamming teams :(. It really is impossible for Dante to teleport when locked down by Disruptor. I think I was mentally guardbroken anyway when my wife started walking in front of the tv because it was time for dinner and the matches had taken too long. Ggs, Sephiroth.

I always let my wife know when it's tournament time. She understands I am unable to interact with her during that time...usually.

JeTmAn81

Karsticles said:
I always let my wife know when it's tournament time. She understands I am unable to interact with her during that time...usually.

Blargh, I told her what I was doing, I just didn't know how long it would take, didn't expect it to go right to the wire 7-6, which obviously takes a lot longer than it would if it went 7-0 :(.

Cloudius, are you available any time after 5PM on Wednesday? I ended up getting scheduled for work in the afternoon, unfortunately.

JeTmAn81

If we're going to finish on time, we'll need to plan ahead. We're supposed to have a playoff for third and fourth place as well, right? Don't get mad Cloudius but I'm going to predict that's going to be you and me again, so be looking for times when you can play that match after you play Karsticles :D

nope. though I'm free Thursday and Friday 8pm - 10 pm est.
Alright, Thursday it is then. See you at 8PM EST.

If we're going to finish on time, we'll need to plan ahead.
I'm open most of the weekend. As long as Kadey is able to get the next round up right after Cloudius and I finish, it shouldn't be a problem.

Don't get mad Cloudius but I'm going to predict that's going to be you and me again, so be looking for times when you can play that match after you play Karsticles :D
My team is really heavy on matchup dependence. We'll see how it goes.

Cloudius, sending you a friend request presently.

Edit: WTF Cloudius is from Hawaii? FML.

Wished I could play now, but I'm at college atm. Definitely tomorrow 8PM est though.

I heard you play Phoenix. Fighting online Phoenix can be pretty tricking. I think I got something to pull off if I run into trouble.

Edit: it is always easier to setup time if I'm always referring to my opponent time zone.

Wished I could play now, but I'm at college atm. Definitely tomorrow 8PM est though.
No worries. We all have lives outside of the thread.

I heard you play Phoenix. Fighting online Phoenix can be pretty tricking. I think I got something to pull off if I run into trouble.
I play Phoenix on point. Hence me being scared of the lag - it's very easy for me to die. I prefer not to anchor her, and only do so when I am facing a team that is a hard counterpick to Phoenix on point, since there's no point in just playing 2v3. Some players are so bad I can still use her on point against a counter pick though, and I'll often take my chances against them, because I really enjoy playing her as a high risk character. There's just a difference in my mind between high risk and suicide, hahaha!

Anyway, you know my team, so now you share yours! :p

Edit: it is always easier to setup time if I'm always referring to my opponent time zone.
I'm not on EST, but it's cool.

This just in. Cloud and Seph are roommates.
Seriously. Do you two know each other?

Kadey said:
This just in. Cloud and Seph are roommates.
Brothers actually. Twin brothers.

Ultimoo said:
that would explain their lame play styles
The kind of play style that makes Ultimoo look so Sigma free.

Anyway class got canceled and I'm home now. Not sure if you want to throw down now or wait tomorrow.

Some of the laggiest shit I have ever played in. Fuck Hawaii. You might as well have been in Japan for those matches. 4-7 in Cloudius' favor.

JeTmAn81

Karsticles said:
Some of the laggiest shit I have ever played in. Fuck Hawaii. You might as well have been in Japan for those matches. 4-7 in Cloudius' favor.
Ha! So it wasn't just my side of the connection. Hawaii, man. So I guess I was wrong about this matchup. Now we need the rules for the 3rd place faceoff and the grand finals.

Its funny, though. If this were double elimination we'd all still be dead even. I beat Cloudius, who beat Karsticles, who beat Sephiroth, who beat me. Maybe we should all just tie for 1st place :D

Ha! So it wasn't just my side of the connection. Hawaii, man. So I guess I was wrong about this matchup. Now we need the rules for the 3rd place faceoff and the grand finals.
I couldn't even do basic air series half the time. What a sham.

99% of lag we encounter in our match is input lag, but that is understandable when it is Hawaii vs Midwest. Jetman's is some kind of different beast. Lag spikes or momentary pauses every 3-5 sec.

I'm pretty much used to input lag after playing a bit in the network lag simulation. I was able to do the simple comboes and Magnetic Shockwave with XF to kill your Phoenix.

You played Seph on the same connection and of course you don't complain about him being in Hawaii because you won that one.

And you accusing me "lagging up a tournament" pisses me off. Sure, I'll admit Hawaii is pretty far concerning the Midwest and East Coast. Just because it is open to us doesn't mean you can just say shit like that.

I'm done venting. GGs regardless.

I'm pretty much used to input lag after playing a bit in the network lag simulation. I was able to do the simple comboes and Magnetic Shockwave with XF to kill your Phoenix.
Isn't that the point? You're used to being a lagger. I'm not. It wasn't just input lag, my screen was skipping a lot.

You played Seph on the same connection and of course you don't complain about him being in Hawaii because you won that one.
Actually, I specifically commented on my matches with Sephiroth:
Karsticles said:
I thought our connection for the first ~5 matches was really solid, better than the people I was warming up against on training mode. Then things got shaky for some reason. That last match my heart was beating so hard...

Your lag was far, far worse than what I experienced with his. The worst it got with Sephiroth, after those 5 games (which were relatively low on lag, especially considering the distance), was blips here and there. Your matches matches were a constant slideshow. If you literally mean that you are on the same connection as him, then it just goes to show how ridiculously unstable a connection from Hawaii is.

However, after those 5 matches with Sephiroth, believe me that I was irritated about the connection. Hence "Fuck Hawaii", and not "Fuck Cloudius". I'm being entirely consistent in what I think. If Sephiroth's connection was as abysmal as yours for all of the matches, believe me that I would have been just as vocal.

And, believe me when as soon as our first match start, I thought "fuck, this is going to be a long series". Every match, even the first three I won, was absolute agony. After losing the first two, making it 3-2 in my favor, I contemplated just forfeiting because the entire experience was such a hair puller.

And you accusing me "lagging up a tournament" pisses me off. Sure, I'll admit Hawaii is pretty far concerning the Midwest and East Coast. Just because it is open to us doesn't mean you can just say shit like that.
I love it when someone comes in and lags up the tournament, and then gets "pissed" because someone calls them out on it. Shouldn't you be feeling shame, and not anger toward me? Why shouldn't I say what I have said?

Do you think it's a coincidence that two people used to playing in a laggy environment, and whose connections cause games to lag for everyone else here, are in the grand finals?

Lyte Edge

All I got for the Vernal Equinox was this stupid tag
Cloudius isn't a lag-cheater. I can understand the lag causing frustration, but come on dude. Both Seph and Cloud are awesome players.

Cloudius isn't a lag-cheater. I can understand the lag causing frustration, but come on dude. Both Seph and Cloud are awesome players.
Woah woah woah. Find me the word "cheater" in my posts. If you think I'm accusing him of lag switching, or something like that, you are not reading my posts correctly. I don't even believe in lag switching (or, at least, I don't really understand how it would work - seems more hassle than it's worth).

Also, at no point have I insulted either Cloudius or Sephiroth's playing skill. It's a completely irrelevant issue to me.

JeTmAn81

Karsticles said:
Isn't that the point? You're used to being a lagger. I'm not. It wasn't just input lag, my screen was skipping a lot.

Actually, I specifically commented on my matches with Sephiroth:

Your lag was far, far worse than what I experienced with his. The worst it got with Sephiroth, after those 5 games (which were relatively low on lag, especially considering the distance), was blips here and there. Your matches matches were a constant slideshow. If you literally mean that you are on the same connection as him, then it just goes to show how ridiculously unstable a connection from Hawaii is.

However, after those 5 matches with Sephiroth, believe me that I was irritated about the connection. Hence "Fuck Hawaii", and not "Fuck Cloudius". I'm being entirely consistent in what I think. If Sephiroth's connection was as abysmal as yours for all of the matches, believe me that I would have been just as vocal.

And, believe me when as soon as our first match start, I thought "fuck, this is going to be a long series". Every match, even the first three I won, was absolute agony. After losing the first two, making it 3-2 in my favor, I contemplated just forfeiting because the entire experience was such a hair puller.

I love it when someone comes in and lags up the tournament, and then gets "pissed" because someone calls them out on it. Shouldn't you be feeling shame, and not anger toward me? Why shouldn't I say what I have said?

Do you think it's a coincidence that two people used to playing in a laggy environment, and whose connections cause games to lag for everyone else here, are in the grand finals?

Make that 3 out of the top 4 apparently used to dealing with lag. I'm in there too, although I've experienced abnormally high levels of lag in this tourney. I don't know, I think there's just nothing you can really do about it when it's an online tourney. Unless there is some kind of lag/ping standard, you just have to take people for wherever they live and whatever they play on.

For myself, I've finally figured out a way to get a good wired connection in my house. I've ordered one of those Powerline Ethernet Adapters from Amazon. It's supposed to give a really good connection, and even at the low end of things it should be more than good enough for network gaming. I can't believe I never thought of this before, I was agonizing over how to get cable easily run through the house.

I'm used to input lag, not slideshow lag and what I played definitely wasn't slideshow online play.
The online is what I expected when I saw where you were located. I don't know what your definition of slideshow but if you played Jetman (sorry Jetman) on his wireless connection through a wall. Unless you are misinterpreting the lag the game caused when I hit your assist while you are in the air.

While it is the case, it is a coincidence, Seph could have lost to Jetman with what the final score shows.

Lag from Hawaii to Cali is not remotely bad to what people think. Most of it is Marvel trash online netcode when the connection is far.

The way you said that the 2 of us got to the grand final, almost seems like you said we only got here because of lag and not because of certain skills we have.

I'm used to input lag, not slideshow lag and what I played definitely wasn't slideshow online play.
You're right, slideshow was hyperbolic. I should have said the screen was "choppy".

I don't know what your definition of slideshow but if you played Jetman (sorry Jetman) on his wireless connection through a wall.
This is not a complete sentence/thought, but I assume you mean to say that Jetman is slideshow-esque. I've never played against him, so I'll find out this weekend I suppose, eh? Jetman seems to recognize his connection is so bad that he offered to drop out, though.

Unless you are misinterpreting the lag the game caused when I hit your assist while you are in the air.
You mean hitstop? No, I am not referring to that. The general choppiness that was exhibited at the start of each match (I assume you experienced the same startup I did, but past experiences suggest people somehow experience lag differently in terms of choppiness) was what prevailed throughout all of our matches. Plus, it was pretty rare for you to hit Morrigan's assist.

While it is the case, it is a coincidence, Seph could have lost to Jetman with what the final score shows.
Certainly, though this means nothing since Jetman is a self-confessed lagger.

Lag from Hawaii to Cali is not remotely bad to what people think. Most of it is Marvel trash online netcode when the connection is far.
I'm sure Hawaii to the closest mainland state is less worse than other, farther states. Certainly I will not disagree that Marvel's netcode is bad - I don't think anyone would.

The way you said that the 2 of us got to the grand final, almost seems like you said we only got here because of lag and not because of certain skills we have.
Do you really think that Magneto's tridashes into c.L would get me every single time if it weren't for latency? Do you think, in my ~1000 matches with Phoenix on point, I'm not used to players throwing out random Magnetic Shockwaves and going for air throws? I had to play predictively against you - that's a lost cause for Phoenix. Hence why, every time I superjumped with Phoenix, I did a j.H - I just had to guess and hope that the input would arrive in time to counter air throw attempts. Almost every single Dormammu death was due to a dropped input; I raged the most when I went to Dark Dimension a random Hyper Sentinel Force from you, but all that came out was a ground dash. But that experience is very typical of the kind of connection you provided, unfortunately. In the last two matches, how many times did I nail you with Sentinel's j.M, and then it lead to nothing, or even to the death of Sentinel after my inputs dropped or were delayed so heavily that the combo dropped? How many of Dormammu's c.Ms lead to nothing, despite it being among the easiest hit confirms in the game? Oh yes, I was mashing the launcher as soon as c.M came out (not even waiting for a hit confirm - how could I?!) - it just did not chain.

I'm not saying you're a bad player, just that you and I never really played - it was a war against the lag, and you are much more experienced against that particular opponent than I am. Absolutely the matches would have been different if I could do things like a basic magic series reliably; I'm not saying I would have won. That would require some knowledge of how good you are, in order to compare our skill levels.

Neki

I have a surprisingly good connection with Karst even though I'm Canada. most of the time it's good. I got some pretty bad lag when I played Cloudius too, but Seph was okay. it's hard to beat Magneto when the lag is bad though. get opened up by spamming dat disrupter or c.L. same thing happens against a Trish. she divekicks, I chicken block and then she somehow hits me with a c.L, sucks so much.

JeTmAn81

Ultimoo said:
I have a surprisingly good connection with Karst even though I'm Canada. most of the time it's good. I got some pretty bad lag when I played Cloudius too, but Seph was okay. it's hard to beat Magneto when the lag is bad though. get opened up by spamming dat disrupter or c.L. same thing happens against a Trish. she divekicks, I chicken block and then she somehow hits me with a c.L, sucks so much.

My connection with Sephiroth was quite a bit better than it was with Cloudius. How did the lag in our matches compare to others?

Neki

JeTmAn81 said:
My connection with Sephiroth was quite a bit better than it was with Cloudius. How did the lag in our matches compare to others?
it was normal. the tail end of our matches we had the other day was getting really bad, I was mashing hard drive against Haggar so bad and it wasn't coming out. the best connection I've had is probably with Karst though. maybe Razor, but I haven't played with him.

Lyte Edge

All I got for the Vernal Equinox was this stupid tag
Karsticles said:
Woah woah woah. Find me the word "cheater" in my posts. If you think I'm accusing him of lag switching, or something like that, you are not reading my posts correctly. I don't even believe in lag switching (or, at least, I don't really understand how it would work - seems more hassle than it's worth).

Also, at no point have I insulted either Cloudius or Sephiroth's playing skill. It's a completely irrelevant issue to me.

It's this:

Karsticles said:
I love it when someone comes in and lags up the tournament, and then gets "pissed" because someone calls them out on it. Shouldn't you be feeling shame, and not anger toward me?

And especially this:

Karsticles said:

That strikes me as insulting their skill, implying that they are only in the finals because of lag.

If that's not what you mean, great. But it doesn't come off that way.

JeTmAn81

Lyte Edge said:
It's this:

And especially this:

That strikes me as insulting their skill, implying that they are only in the finals because of lag.

I have to agree with this take on how that stuff sounded.

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
You should of just picked a lag abuse character Karst. Like a true gentleman.

Haha you guys are ignoring Karst long post about situations that came up. I know the exact shit he means and it's annoying as fuck.

Keep in mind Karst is just being Karst when it comes to lag matches. He always responds like that haha.

Serious question though, are you guys using a wired or wireless set up for your ps3?

Neki

fighting teleport characters is lolzy online. I see the teleport coming, but the only thing I can do is jump and block most of the time.

Kadey

Mrs. Harvey
If lag was a factor, you can replay the matches. I do not condone lag. If I'm in a funny mood which is pretty much all the time, I can let it slide but there are times where I can't take it. Plus the majority of the people can't deal with it either.

JeTmAn81

I don't know about anyone else, but I record all my matches just in case such situations arise. Granted, I've deleted all the past ones but I always keep the most recent one on my phone.

Kadey said:
If lag was a factor, you can replay the matches. I do not condone lag. If I'm in a funny mood which is pretty much all the time, I can let it slide but there are times where I can't take it. Plus the majority of the people can't deal with it either.

I feel the lag is manageable in Street Fighter IV from Hawaii to East Coast but when you have a game like Mahvel where reaction to block high/low mixup is like 50% with the net code that it has it's like pretty much impossible to have a good game anyway.

If they were to replay the match, I feel it's going to be the same. Karst was not adjusted to the lag, got upset. Triangle Jump Magneto is very hard to block with a network connection that far.

JeTmAn81 said:
I don't know about anyone else, but I record all my matches just in case such situations arise. Granted, I've deleted all the past ones but I always keep the most recent one on my phone.

Do you have my match? :D

I think we should settle this with Marvel vs Capcom 2. /troll

JeTmAn81

SephirothRK said:
Do you have my match? :D

Yup, though I recorded it in 720p and I've had trouble trying to get those files on YouTube. I didn't get all the matches (my phone cut off randomly towards the end) and it's a pretty bad angle too, though it's good enough to tell what's happening. I'm going to try to get it uploaded.

I hope nothing gets settled in Marvel 2, because I never really played that game :eek:

JeTmAn81 said:
Yup, though I recorded it in 720p and I've had trouble trying to get those files on YouTube. I didn't get all the matches (my phone cut off randomly towards the end) and it's a pretty bad angle too, though it's good enough to tell what's happening. I'm going to try to get it uploaded.

awesome we get to see the Storm time out.

I'm implying that in a laggy fight, player skill is barely a factor. Certainly, there's no mention of cheating.

You should of just picked a lag abuse character Karst. Like a true gentleman.
I haven't played outside of tournament matches (and warmups beforehand) for the last 2 months. I don't have any backup teams to rock, unfortunately.

Keep in mind Karst is just being Karst when it comes to lag matches. He always responds like that haha.
Damn straight.

Serious question though, are you guys using a wired or wireless set up for your ps3?
Wired.

Kadey said:
I appreciate the offer, but I don't see what it would change. The lag was, in my opinion, purely geographic in nature. A replay of the set would still be just as bad, and me winning on that connection wouldn't somehow be more right than Cloudius winning. I accept the results of our matches, I simply wish that the geographic matchup would not have happened in the first place. That is the source of my irritation.

Cloudius said:
Input lag will always be a factor. If he wants to do a FT7 rematch again, I'm game. Today between 7pm-8pm est.
No need. Best of luck in the grand finals. Like I said, after the fourth match, from which I was 3-1 against you, and wrote "Fuck Hawaii", I was considering forfeiting just to not go through the torture of your connection. Playing a second FT7, aside from not alleviating the offense, would be another set of absolute torture that I prefer not to inflict upon myself.

I'm getting a capture card soon, and I will do this just for fun.

If they were to replay the match, I feel it's going to be the same. Karst was not adjusted to the lag, got upset. Triangle Jump Magneto is very hard to block with a network connection that far.
I concur entirely. I don't think you really can adjust to that level of lag with Phoenix on point, though. 2/3 of my team is based on yomi and reaction time. A team based on rushdown is just going to have a straight up advantage in an environment like that regardless of the adjustment, I feel.

That had much better netcode at least, haha.

Anyway, let's play out this final round ASAP so the tournament can conclude. I'm sure we can all agree that the worst thing possible would be for us to not finish on time.

smurfx

get some go again
i feel like that there shouldn't be rematch. is there a rule for laggy matches? if not then just let it be.

Top Bottom