• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

‘Concord’ Lead Character Designer Believes “Whites Must Acknowledge Their Privileged Position, And Then Actively Work For Equality”

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kataploom

Gold Member
Mf must acknowledge how cringe that is, intellectual incels shouldn't be allowed in any debate at all, all they do is pretend they have any intellect at all by repeating bs like this

JoduanER2

So…everyone was upset at conservatives getting cancelled and we should just do the same thing?

Don’t buy the game based on the merits of the game itself, not the political beliefs of someone who worked on it

I can assure you that a huge portion of the products you consume and games you buy are done so by people with similar beliefs

Is not like their politics belief are not plastered in the whole characters design right? 🙃

simpatico

Gold Member
FIrewalk must acknowledge their priviliedged position. They drank lattes on Sony's dime for the better part of the last decade. They have to actively work to pay Sony back. Really. This is so beyond the pale that it should be the first time a dev has to pay back a publisher out of their own pockets. Set a precedent here Sony. The industry at large will thank you. It could end up being your biggest contribution to the medium. Sue these people until they flee the country. You've got shareholders who've just been fleeced for a billion dollars. What are you going to do about it?

Last edited:
That's not what white privilege actually means.

It simply means benefits someone has by being a white person in a white majority society. I.e., store clerks/police don't follow me around when shopping alone, I can socialize with other people who look like me in public without other people thinking we're a gang, real estate agents aren't going to direct me lower income areas because of my skin, I can easily find books/film/tv that include positive role models who look like me, I'm never asked to speak on behalf of all white people.

Granted, a lot of the above is improving with time, but I think if you were to ever ask one of your black friends if they've ever experienced one of the above, they probably have and probably more than once, whereas you as a white person probably haven't, or at least not regularly.
The gangster /rap culture makes this worst. Stereotypes happen from past experiences. If George Floyd was a reputable man he wouldn't be giving fake 20 dolar bills at the store. Now turned into a martyr by a legion of idiots.

Last edited:

DonkeyPunchJr

World’s Biggest Weeb
FIrewalk must acknowledge their priviliedged position. They drank lattes on Sony's dime for the better part of the last decade. They have to actively work to pay Sony back. Really. This is so beyond the pale that it should be the first time a dev has to pay back a publisher out of their own pockets. Set a precedent here Sony. The industry at large will thank you. It could end up being your biggest contribution to the medium. Sue these people until they flee the country. You've got shareholders who've just been fleeced for a billion dollars. What are you going to do about it?
8 years probably “working” from home most of the time, working on some vanity project that literally nobody wants, chasing trends that got stale several years ago.

I wouldn’t be surprised if they dragged the development out as long as possible because they knew they were totally fucked as soon as they were expected to make money off of this turd.

Edgelord79

Gold Member
It’s evens really hard for people in the games industry to just stfu after releasing their game. They are hell bent on self sabatoge.

I don’t get it.

simpatico

Gold Member
8 years probably “working” from home most of the time, working on some vanity project that literally nobody wants, chasing trends that got stale several years ago.

I wouldn’t be surprised if they dragged the development out as long as possible because they knew they were totally fucked as soon as they were expected to make money off of this turd.
I really think it test very well internally. Think about the bubble they're in. We know technically speaking it's a good enough game. If you really really believed in those characters, you'd probably think you have a hit on your hands. Especially with the blinders that come with testing your own product. I believe they really expected to be the next big thing. I mean Sony thought highly enough of it to have controllers mass produced with Concord branding all over them. A lot of people are having a sleepless week when they have to explain this shit to the money people in the company.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
I really think it test very well internally. Think about the bubble they're in. We know technically speaking it's a good enough game. If you really really believed in those characters, you'd probably think you have a hit on your hands. Especially with the blinders that come with testing your own product. I believe they really expected to be the next big thing. I mean Sony thought highly enough of it to have controllers mass produced with Concord branding all over them. A lot of people are having a sleepless week when they have to explain this shit to the money people in the company.
Thats why any smart company does independent tests and market research. You never rely on internal people because most of them are biased or dont have the heart to tell the marketing dept their new product being shown around the office sucks..... well, except me. lol. I tell it like it is and call them out in front of a room. I've sat in marketing prototype meetings and I guarantee you all on GAF if there's one dept who always thinks their new product lines are the greatest things ever it's anyone in marketing.

Logistics dept cares about shipping and inventory, Sales cares about how much it can sell and if the buyers at head office and customers will buy it, Finance cares about if we can sell it at a good price and keep costs low.

But marketing/creatives always have this more biased grandiose view where they get in front of a room with samples to pass around and a powerpoint, promote to everyone what they see is the best thing in the world, and if anyone brings up criticisms or combats their half baked made up numbers (which are total BS most of the time) they hate it.

If any of you want to really piss of marketing/creative blabbermouths in front of a room. The second they start promoting their BS numbers how great it is and how it'll sell, put up your hand and say going by historical sales data, how is your new product going to sell that much when....... factors x, y, z. back it up. And then watch as that person shrinks in front of the room, loses confidence and then the execs catch on and ask more soul crushing questions.

So what they do is try to push the product along with as little eyeballs on it as possible because if too many people see it, they'll get grilled. Thats why this game had such little marketing. A game in dev for up to 8 years, and all you got was a year old CGI trailer, a gameplay video a couple months ago and a beta a month from launch. Thats it. Then release to the masses. Firewalk was bought out and Concord is part of Sony's GAAS strategy, but they put as little marketing into it as possible because they knew it stunk. But oddly, Sony execs bought out the whole company. So there must had been something they liked about the talent or game.

Last edited:

boo

Gold Member

It simply means benefits someone has by being a white person in a white majority society. I.e., store clerks/police don't follow me around when shopping alone, I can socialize with other people who look like me in public without other people thinking we're a gang, real estate agents aren't going to direct me lower income areas because of my skin, I can easily find books/film/tv that include positive role models who look like me, I'm never asked to speak on behalf of all white people.

Granted, a lot of the above is improving with time, but I think if you were to ever ask one of your black friends if they've ever experienced one of the above, they probably have and probably more than once, whereas you as a white person probably haven't, or at least not regularly.
Then again you can have local minority gangs creating crime in ethnic white communities. Here in Oslo, Norway, gangs of Pakistani kids can surround a Norwegian younger white kid, and politely ask him to gift money over from his bank account over to theirs, which can be done with an app on the phone.. Before they then ask him to give them his iPhone.

Since they are older kids ganging up on a local younger Norwegian kid, and they then are all under-age, there is no much the police can do. Or want to do, to not apparat racist. It is basically being explained away by Oslos leftist politicians as the social conditions needs to improve. How can we help these poor kids so they do not do these things. Maybe the problem is crowded homes?

So Norwegian kids stay at home after school in the areas of Oslo where these Pakistani kids operate and do not dare to go outside. Maybe you can tell these Norwegian kids about their white privilege in their own white majority country? Such as, where to find it? It seems to be hidden away by the older leftist white elite.

Last edited:

simpatico

Gold Member
Thats why any smart company does independent tests and market research. You never rely on internal people because most of them are biased or dont have the heart to tell the marketing dept their new product being shown around the office sucks..... well, except me. lol. I tell it like it is and call them out in front of a room. I've sat in marketing prototype meetings and I guarantee you all on GAF if there's one dept who always thinks their new product lines are the greatest things ever it's anyone in marketing.

Logistics dept cares about shipping and inventory, Sales cares about how much it can sell and if the buyers at head office and customers will buy it, Finance cares about if we can sell it at a good price and keep costs low.

But marketing/creatives always have this more biased grandiose view where they get in front of a room with samples to pass around and a powerpoint, promote to everyone what they see is the best thing in the world, and if anyone brings up criticisms or combats their half baked made up numbers (which are total BS most of the time) they hate it.

If any of you want to really piss of marketing/creative blabbermouths in front of a room. The second they start promoting their BS numbers how great it is and how it'll sell, put up your hand and say going by historical sales data, how is your new product going to sell that much when....... factors x, y, z. back it up. And then watch as that person shrinks in front of the room, loses confidence and then the execs catch on and ask more soul crushing questions.

So what they do is try to push the product along with as little eyeballs on it as possible because if too many people see it, they'll get grilled. Thats why this game had such little marketing. A game in dev for up to 8 years, and all you got was a year old CGI trailer, a gameplay video a couple months ago and a beta a month from launch. Thats it. Then release to the masses. Firewalk was bought out and Concord is part of Sony's GAAS strategy, but they put as little marketing into it as possible because they knew it stunk. But oddly, Sony execs bought out the whole company. So there must had been something they liked about the talent or game.
What are they going to do with all those pallets of Concord controllers? Seems a bit wasteful for a game they knew would flop this hard.

Last edited:

Nydius

This should at the very least be F2P and not a paid thing.

F2P and outside of the PS+ paywall, like its competitors. In all honesty, had it launched that way, despite it being only so-so during the beta, I probably would have downloaded it and played a match from time to time.

But $40 and requiring me to resub to PS+? When I could just play Overwatch completely free with no multiplayer paywall? That strategy is DOA for me, personally.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
F2P and outside of the PS+ paywall, like its competitors. In all honesty, had it launched that way, despite it being only so-so during the beta, I probably would have downloaded it and played a match from time to time.

But $40 and requiring me to resub to PS+? When I could just play Overwatch completely free with no multiplayer paywall? That strategy is DOA for me, personally.
Sony duplicated Helldivers 2 $40 because it was a smash hit.

If Sony does F2P, then everyone will expect their GAAS to be $0.

So they are kind of caught what to do.

I'm pleased to see that whites did indeed acknowledge their privileged position and actively worked for equality by not playing this shitty game

The only equality that matters is if a game is good or not, see a monkey with a stick for more information

OmegaSupreme

advanced basic bitch
No Way Thinking GIF

Nydius

Helldivers 2 isn’t Concord. Helldivers 2 doesn’t have multiple existing F2P games already out there. HD2 really has minimal to no competition in its genre. Just because they’re both GaaS games doesn’t mean they can be treated the same.

If Sony looked at a PvE coop third person shooter and thought “let’s do the same thing with a PvP hero shooter FPS in a crowded market”, they’re dumber than I thought.

tkscz

Problem with that, Concord has been in development for 8 years. Not sure why it was in development for that long but it's development predates the development of Helldivers 2 (but a year after Helldivers 1).

So I doubt Helldivers had any influence on the development of Concord. This was clearly meant to be Sony's Overwatch as this game would've started development after Overwatch grew in popularity.

It’s a terrible and unsustainable argument. This is not equality at all, but it’s clear that many of the extreme left don’t actually want real equality. They want advantages. There are poor and disenfranchised people of all colors. The only people who hold the views expressed by the Concord devs are people who themselves live privileged lives. It’s a bit ironic.

I thought the idea was to judge people on the content of their character.

And nothing else.

Views like those from the concord devs are just trying to reframe things and what they are doing is the real root of racism. You can’t create love out of hate. You must meet love with love… if love is your actual goal.

Unknown?

There are tons of places in America where whites are the minority.

RoboFu

One of the green rats
It’s a terrible and unsustainable argument. This is not equality at all, but it’s clear that many of the extreme left don’t actually want real equality. They want advantages. There are poor and disenfranchised people of all colors. The only people who hold the views expressed by the Concord devs are people who themselves live privileged lives. It’s a bit ironic.

I thought the idea was to judge people on the content of their character.

And nothing else.

Views like those from the concord devs are just trying to reframe things and what they are doing is the real root of racism. You can’t create love out of hate. You must meet love with love… if love is your actual goal.

It's not equality they want.. it's equity. Which isn't " everyone gets a yacht !" It's " if I don't get a yatch then neither do you "

But these people are actually worse than that because they think white men have been actively stopping them from getting "yachts". It's like that friend with no job sitting on his couch saying how that green day ( I'm old ) song was so easy to play that he could do better.

This can be said for any society. On the contrary what I have seen is that whites are more inclusive than other races. What do you think of other societies like asians, arabs or others? Inclusive or privileged for themselves? Let's blame the whites as scapegoat for everything. It reminds me of the press conference during covid of New York police department about Asian hate blaming whites and when they posted the photos of the people committing crimes against asians they were a high majority black. Isn't it funny? The narrative is clear and you are part of it.

Esppiral

I find it funny because I only hear about white supremacy from white north Americans, we don't give a fuck about that outside the states, being white myself, or no one for that matter it is more of an internal "problem" inside the US, we don't need to keep all the fucking day talking about this because it is not a problem.

Last edited:

FewRope

How about no? I fucking suffer the same bullshit that anyone else, I'm so tired of the "white privilege" when I could go homeless like anyone else if things dont work out. So fucking tired of this charade of virtue signaling coming from the actual rich kids

Boglin

White privilege is such a loaded and bullshit term for laymen.

The people who adopted the widespread usage of "white privilege" could have avoided so much controversy and the racially charged implications that the term conveys by instead using the term "majority privilege" since it covers 95% of the meaning.
But I know being strictly academic and diplomatic wasn't a high priority because the same people also coined "whiteness" and they practically defined it so that any and all societal ineptitudes that negatively affect minorities fall under its umbrella. The terminology was deliberately chosen by racists to demonize a specific race.

Last edited:

winjer

Gold Member
Every civilization on this planet had slavery at any point. And all races had and were slaves at one point.
But some americans are so self-centred, they think that slavery only occurred in the USA. And only white people had slaves.
Even the word slave comes from Svalic people, who are white Europeans, and were enslaved for many centuries.
And let's not forget that it were European countries, the first to abolish slavery, in modern times.

Angry_Megalodon

Gold Member
There have been slaves in every civlization everywhere in the world. The level of ignorance someone needs to associate it with the whites is astounding. Those people must believe that the pyramids were indeed the work of aliens and predators. There were African slaves because there existed African enslavers. They traveled to the European coasts searching for more slaves. It's a gross insult to people who live in miserable conditions all over the world, even today, call them "privileged". Those who try to "explain white privilege to me" need to fuck off.

Last edited:

CSJ

Where I live, white people make up 95.8% of the population roughly but quite a lot of them are white people from other countries too.
You'll find that when there is an almost invisible minority, humans find a way to do exactly what they do to other races, to themselves.

Privilege comes in many forms, of which many white people where I live are not having a good time, with a bleak future.
Jon doesn't understand that north america is not the world and honestly, people need to start being real fuckin' clear what they mean when they say "white people" because there are a lot of hugely majority white places that don't need to hear his shit.

zokie

that is why i rather give my good $80 to Astro Bot than Con-Cord , Con as in condemned

Robots are cuter and they are available in many sony IP characters

ps. $80 is my region's SRP for playstation digital game

Kerotan

Oh yeah White privilege like in a city near me where the first time ever a mayor wasn't elected and instead given to a Nigerian "Asylum" seeker who's rich brother is a politician back home.

Sony being Japanese would do well to route out the western evil that's unfiltered their Devs.

th4tguy

Back in 2020, he responded to a post by former Bungie Lead Programmer Petar Kotevski who stated, “Thinking that all white people are unconsciously racist is the same as thinking that all black people are unconsciously lazy.”
Weisnewski replied, “This is an over simplification. The sentiment being expressed is that whites must acknowledge their privileged position, and then actively work for equality. It will be hard and confronting work, but if we don’t we’re complicit. And complicity allows systemic racism to persist.”

———————-
Isn’t digging up random statements from 4 years ago and tying it to a game project simply out of association, the same thing gaf criticizes RE for doing all the time?
How is this any better?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom