• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

10 Films To See In June (what are you watching?)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Van Owen said:
I think this thread was just an attempt to get people to visit thefilmstage.com

Nope, I post every single piece of information here, no need at all to go to my site. Nice try though. :lol

Van Owen said:
I guess your site is the official host for all the trailers then.

This is an opinion piece, so you will find an opinion to go with the trailers I've posted. If you really want to find the trailers on your own, on the site you like to use feel free to check out Google.

Van Owen

Banned
I understand the reason for posting trailers, but I also understand why it would be beneficial to you to link the majority of them to your own site as opposed to the official ones...

I'm really looking forward to Splice. I always love a good sci-fi/horror film, and it appears that Splice is pretty good - maybe even great.

There's a promotional screening in Columbus tomorrow night, and I usually get an email from Gofobo about a day in advance if there are any spots left. I haven't received anything yet, but I've got my fingers crossed.

Solo

DP does a nice service with all these movie threads, so thats his pro.
DP is also a shill for his own site, so thats his con.

These have both been known for a few years now. In the end it evens out.

BertramCooper said:
I'm really looking forward to Splice. I always love a good sci-fi/horror film, and it appears that Splice is pretty good - maybe even great.

Yep, I'm seeing it tonight then Karate Kid tomorrow! Very excited for Splice. One of my writers hosted a Q and A with him in DC and said Natali was the coolest guy.

bud

Solo said:

this post was sponsored by www.thefilmstage.com, your spotlight on cinema!

Rad-

Director Dennis Dugan was behind the comedic failures You Don't Mess with the Zohan and I Now Pronounce You Chuck & Larry. Now he decided to go bigger rather than better with Grown Ups; a film starring all those guys that used to be funny.

Hey, I thought it was pretty funny.

Anyways I'm interested in:

Knight and Day
Grown Ups

And The Karate Kid has Jackie Chan? Slightly interested in that too now.

Solo said:

It's like I evaporate...

shutter-island-ben-kingsley.jpg

...straight through the walls.

Splice and TS3 will be day 1. I'll try to see some of the comedies when I can. Valhalla looks interesting, but I hope it's not too limited.

Borgnine

MBA in pussy licensing and rights management
ITT: the new guy sets the ignorant masses free by opening our eyes to the light of truth.

Disappointed to hear someone thinks The Killer Inside Me was terrible, I was really looking forward to it. Also I'm still of the opinion that the "to see" list needs to be shortened to 1 or less than 1 movie per month.

Van Owen

Banned
Solo said:

Thank God someone is around to tell us to avoid Marmaduke and the latest Ashton Kutcher film.

Alucard

Banned
Pretty bland month, but I'll definitely be checking out Karate Kid. Most of the other stuff doesn't really interest me much.

Solo

Van Owen said:
Thank God someone is around to tell us to avoid Marmaduke and the latest Ashton Kutcher film.

:lol

I didnt mean these monthly threads in particular. But he certainly puts effort into starting like 95% of GAF's movie threads, so I guess thats something. I havent even bothered to make one in about 3 years because I know DP will have already done it.

harSon

Banned
Eh, I don't get the hype for El Secreto de sus Ojos. It's wonderfully filmed and competently acted, but the story was relatively straight forward
outside of the end reveal
and left a lot to be desired IMO. It was certainly a good film, I'd probably give it an 8 or 8.5 out of 10, but it didn't seem special enough to win an Academy Award...

bjork said:
By "looks like" you mean "looks nothing like", right?

You don't think the above picture looks like Bjork?

harSon said:
Eh, I don't get the hype for El Secreto de sus Ojos. It's wonderfully filmed and competently acted, but the story was relatively straight forward
outside of the end reveal
and left a lot to be desired IMO. It was certainly a good film, I'd probably give it an 8 or 8.5 out of 10, but it didn't seem special enough to win an Academy Award...

What more did you desire from it? The movie is definitely pretty absurd, but I thought the main relationship was handled perfectly and couldn't ask more from the suspense.

Leunam

Van Owen said:

I probably wouldn't have heard of Valhalla Rising had it not been for this thread, so I'm grateful.

harSon

Banned
DanielPlainview said:
What more did you desire from it? The movie is definitely pretty absurd, but I thought the main relationship was handled perfectly and couldn't ask more from the suspense.

I think they made the best movie possible using the story they did, outside of the fact that they did a horrible job aging the actors/actresses 25 years, I found the film itself, post-script writing, to be relatively flawless. Sometimes a film can do everything right and not be a masterpiece, I personally consider that to be the case with this film. And like I said, I found the film to be quite good (8-8.5 out of 10 is definitely nothing to sneeze at), I'm just not sure that it was deserving of an Academy Award over The White Ribbon..

harSon said:
I think they made the best movie possible using the story they did, outside of the fact that they did a horrible job aging the actors/actresses 25 years, I found the film itself, post-script writing, to be relatively flawless. Sometimes a film can do everything right and not be a masterpiece, I personally consider that to be the case with this film. And like I said, I found the film to be quite good (8-8.5 out of 10 is definitely nothing to sneeze at), I'm just not sure that it was deserving of an Academy Award over The White Ribbon..

Nice, just wondering. I can see that. I was just so consumed by the film for entire nearly 2 and half hours. I couldn't have asked for more. It was one of those rare films where I wouldn't want to change anything about it.

Shrennin

Didn't get the memo regarding the 14th Amendment
I'm intrigued by The Karate Kid now but the one thing I can't understand is why is it called The Karate Kid if he's learning Kung Fu?

Is there something I'm missing? I'm no expert in martial arts knowledge, but I guess they could have just reused the name for name recognition but I would hope the name would have more meaning than that (considering the movie is supposedly turning out good).

I also know I'm not the first one to bring this up, nor am I pretending to be. I just wasn't sure if there was an answer to it or if it was just simple name recognition.

Toy Story 3 is still the number one movie to see this month for me. If I only see one movie this month, it will be Toy Story 3. Next month is obviously Inception.

Shrinnan said:
I'm intrigued by The Karate Kid now but the one thing I can't understand is why is it called The Karate Kid if he's learning Kung Fu?

I think that's been explained at least 5 times between this thread and The Karate Kid thread.

Ducarmel

Valhalla Rising if your going to watch it be prepared to know in advance that the film is nothing like the trailer makes it out to be (badass vikings being badass). IMO its a must watch, but avoid at all cost if your not into artsy/imagery/symbolism type films.

GDJustin

stuck my tongue deep inside Atlus' cookies
I did not realize that Get Him to the Greek was a true spinoff of Forgetting Sarah Marshall. Now I feel bad for making fun of Brand for always playing the same character in every movie he is in :/

RetroMG

I will definatly see A-Team. It's probably the movie I'm most interested in. I know I'll see Toy Story. (It does look good, but I'm not feeling the hype. But my wife really wants to see it, so yeah.) I'm going to see Jonah Hex at the matinee, but I don't have real high expectations. And this thread has made me thing Knight and Day might be a fun flick.

I was interested in Valhalla Rising until I read the thing about it being really slow. Not so much now.

I also want to see Iron Man 2 again and still need to catch Prince of Persia and Shrek.

GDJustin said:
I did not realize that Get Him to the Greek was a true spinoff of Forgetting Sarah Marshall. Now I feel bad for making fun of Brand for always playing the same character in every movie he is in :/

As much as I love FSM, I'm on the fence about Get Him to the Greek. Russell Brand was funny in FSM because we got him in the right amount of doses, but I didn't think he was the funniest thing about that movie. Also: Ugh, Diddy.

Although Katy Perry is in it, probably as a cameo. :p

Regardless, Toy Story 3 all the way. I've had the tickets sitting in my HDD since March.

Doesn't Eclipse open this month? My friend and I were there for Twilight and New Moon opening weekend. I don't think that's changing. :lol

JdFoX187

Banned
When I first saw the trailers for Jonah Hex, I couldn't believe how much they'd changed the character. Josh Brolin is perfect for the role though. I'll probably watch it on a matinee.

LM4sure

Banned
None of the movies coming out in June interest me enough to go see in the theater. Toy Story 3 would be the closest contender, but I think I've pretty much ruled out seeing any more children's films in the theater because of the amount of annoying kids there. Even if you go see a midnight showing, there will be damn kids in the theater talking, running up and down the aisles, crying, etc.

Might see Splice if I got nothing else going on. Or Knight and Day, depending upon reviews.

ZeoVGM

Banned
Knight and Day looks very fun and it was shot in my town. Cyrus seems interesting and I always had a strange feeling that The Karate Kid might end up being good but color me very interested after these early reviews. Also definitely seeing Get Him to the Greek.

I don't even have to mention Toy Story 3 seeing how if you don't see that, you have no heart.

ZeoVGM

Banned
LM4sure said:
None of the movies coming out in June interest me enough to go see in the theater. Toy Story 3 would be the closest contender, but I think I've pretty much ruled out seeing any more children's films in the theater because of the amount of annoying kids there. Even if you go see a midnight showing, there will be damn kids in the theater talking, running up and down the aisles, crying, etc.

Might see Splice if I got nothing else going on. Or Knight and Day, depending upon reviews.

Dunno what theater you go to. I've seen every Pixar movie on opening night for the past 4 years and that doesn't happen.

The girl in me is the only thing on the Uk Odeon website on your list, fucking piece of crap :( Splice sounded pretty good among others. Infact not even Toy Story 3!!

soco

Winter's Bone was a really good film. I really enjoyed it and i found most of the actors incredibly convincing.

The Joan Rivers documentary is both sad and hilarious. I kept saying i was going to go see it because of a friend, but i ended up enjoying it immensely. I would definitely recommend it. I thought the crowd would be full of gay guys, but it was really people of all ages and they all seemed to really enjoy it.

Cyrus was on my list, but i pulled it, knowing i'd get the chance to see it again later.

My first 2 weeks of june are film festival films.

falconzss

not a single movie i am interested in and i definitely won't soil my precious memories of the good old A-Team with that movie!

Just got back from Splice, I'm sorry I let you down GAF.

It wasn't good at all, unless it was supposed to be hilarious. The "shocking" moments were so laughable, everyone in my theater erupted. The acting was poor and the whole second half just felt off. The beginning is pretty good though and there are a few scenes that were quite well done, but I'm kind of shocked at the extremely great response.

I'd give it a 4 out of 10

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom