• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

10 Films To See In March (what are you watching?)

Status
Not open for further replies.
room_237_header1-620x311.jpg

As the definition of the typical blockbuster season continues to stretch, Hollywood is once again using March for the first unveiling of their big tentpoles of the year. Unfortunately in 2013, the options don't seem too promising, so instead we've a batch of festival holdovers that we're keeping on our radar this month. While they make take awhile to reach a theater near you, be sure to check your VOD outlets, as a few of them will pop up there. See our rundown below and let us know what you plan to watch this month.

Matinees: War Witch (3/1), Oz: The Great and Powerful (3/8) From Up on Poppy Hill (3/15), Somebody Up There Likes Me (3/15), Upside Down (3/15), Eden (3/20), The Croods (3/22), The Sapphires (3/22), Blancanieves (3/25), Welcome to the Punch (3/27), Starbuck (3/29)

10. Ginger & Rosa (Sally Potter; March 15th)

ginger_rosa.jpg

Synopsis: A look at the lives of two teenage girls - inseparable friends Ginger and Rosa -- growing up in 1960s London, and the pivotal event the comes to redefine their relationship as the Cuban Missile Crisis looms.

Trailer

Why You Should See it: Audiences have already seen Elle Fanning‘s talents in such films as Somewhere and Super 8, but now the actress will be in spotlight for this upcoming coming of age period piece. After premiering to strong reviews on the fall festival circuit, the next film from Sally Potter (Orlando, The Tango Lesson) also brings together Alice EngertTimothy Spall, Alice Englert, Oliver Platt, Jodhi May, Alessandro Nivola, Christina Hendricks and Annette Bening.

9. Beyond the Hills (Cristian Mungiu; March 8th)

beyond_the_hills.jpg

Synopsis: A drama centered on the friendship between two young women who grew up in the same orphanage; one has found refuge at a convent in Romania and refuses to leave with her friend, who now lives in Germany.

Trailer

Why You Should See It: While this drama is said not to live up to Cristian Mungiu‘s harrowing Palme d'Or winner 4 Months, 3 Weeks and 2 Days, I'm still extremely curious to see what he offers in his follow-up. At Cannes last year we said, “despite promising approach to a controversial issue, the film is a chore to sit through, reminiscent of a child bored in Sunday school." With the film getting both a theatrical and VOD release this month, one can check it out for themselves.

8. Gimme the Loot (Adam Leon; March 22nd)

gimme_the_loot.jpg

Synopsis: When a rival gang buffs Malcolm and Sofia's latest graffiti masterpiece with a replica of the NY Mets home-run apple, they're determined to get spectacular revenge - by tagging the real Mets' apple.

Trailer

Why You Should See It: After picking up the grand jury prize at South by Southwest Film Festival last year, this drama is coming to theaters thanks to the help of presenter Jonathan Demme. Judging from the promising trailer, newcomer Adam Leon looks to have crafted a lively, authentic work that signals even better things to come. Set for a VOD debut just a week after the start of its theatrical run, this one should be easy to find.

7. Reality (Matteo Garrone; March 15th)

reality.jpg

Synopsis: Luciano is a charming fishmonger whose unexpected and sudden obsession with being a contestant on a reality show leads him down a rabbit hole of skewed perceptions and paranoia.

Trailer

Why You Should See It: It's been five years since Matteo Garrone's sprawling crime epic Gomorrah, and we are here to tell you the wait was worth it. One of our top-reviewed films at Cannes Film Festival last year, we said this "follow-up is decidedly more concentrated and deftly-paced, [as] the filmmaker [is] determined to explore the world of his anti-hero Luciano (the engrossing Aniello Arena), a family man living simply and happily in Naples who allows himself to fall apart in pursuit of his dream to be famous."

6. Wrong (Quentin Dupieux; March 29th)

wrong.jpg

Synopsis: Dolph Springer wakes up one morning to realize he has lost the love of his life, his dog, Paul. During his quest to get Paul (and his life) back, Dolph radically changes the lives of others -- risking his sanity all the while.

Trailer

Why You Should See It: Seemingly a love it or hate experience (judging by some major distate shared on our recent podcast episode), I fall firmly into the former side, as the Rubber director has crafted one of the most delightfully absurd comedies of the year. There's very little make sense here (nor should it) and the wild, surreal journey hit my funny bone in the perfect place. Now out on VOD, its a great option instead of the bottom of the barrel theatrical offerings this month.

5. Stoker (Park Chan-wook; March 1st)

Synopsis: After India's father dies, her Uncle Charlie, who she never knew existed, comes to live with her and her unstable mother. She comes to suspect this mysterious, charming man has ulterior motives and becomes increasingly infatuated with him.

Trailer

Why You Should See It: While I wasn't enamored with the script, Park Chan-wook's visual mastery is more than enough of a reason to seek out his English-language debut. As I said in my Sundance review, "it’s difficult not to simply enjoy the feral, visceral events our director has concocted. Despite some missteps along the way in execution, Park Chan-wook has come to Hollywood in about the boldest way he can and his distorted vision is a welcome one in this terrain."

4. Leviathan (Lucien Castaing-Taylor, Verena Paravel)

leviathan.jpg

Synopsis: A documentary shot in the North Atlantic and focused on the commercial fishing industry.

Trailer

Why You Should See It: Although this one will likely be the hardest film to track down on the list, if you've seen the stellar Sweetgrass (from co-director Lucien Castaing-Taylor), then you know why this is the first must-watch documentary of they year.  Shot with a fly-on-the-wall aesthetic that is roughly one-part neorealism and two parts found-footage monster movie, our review states it is "shocking, innovative stuff, a visual-feast intertwined with social commentary, a comprehensive and ambitious statement on documentary cinema, and an audacious display of the power of sound as one equaling the power of images."

3. Spring Breakers (Harmony Korine; March 15th)

spring_breakers.jpg

Synopsis: Four college girls who land in jail after robbing a restaurant in order to fund their spring break vacation find themselves bailed out by a drug and arms dealer who wants them to do some dirty work.

Trailer

Why You Should See It: Looking at the career of Harmony Korine, it's difficult to believe the director would ever helm a crowd-pleaser, but it seems like his latest will fit that category. Despite the casting of Disney Channel icons Selena Gomez and Vanessa Hudgens, as well as James Franco in a criminal role, we said the film doesn't indicate Korine is straying away from his odd style, rather he's crafted a "tone poem on the emotions of youthful idiocy," one that "penetrates the evil and melancholy lurking under pop surfaces to a point of terror and unbridled entertainment."

2. Room 237 (Rodney Ascher; March 29th)

room_237_2.jpg

Synopsis: A subjective documentary that explores the numerous theories about the hidden meanings within Stanley Kubrick's film The Shining.

Trailer

Why You Should See It: This painstakingly-detailed exploration of Stanley Kubrick‘s The Shining goes through nine different theories and themes, opening up new wonders I never saw, even after many, many viewings of the horror classic. It is thoroughly thought-provoking and often hilarious, as director Rodney Ascher takes on everything from the inane to the plausible. Check out our Sundance review and make sure you have a copy of Kubrick's horror film on hand, as you'll want to pop it in directly after the credits hit on this documentary.

1. The Place Beyond the Pines (Derek Cianfrance; March 29th)

place_beyond_pines.jpg

Synopsis: A motorcycle stunt rider turns to robbing banks as a way to provide for his lover and their newborn child, a decision that puts him on a collision course with an ambitious rookie cop navigating a department ruled by a corrupt detective.

Trailer

Why You Should See It: High up on our list of our must-watch 2013 films we've already seen, Derek Cianfrance's Blue Valentine follow-up premiered at the Toronto International Film Festival and it's a major step up in terms of scope for this young helmer. We were in the positive camp, saying this "insanely ambitious," sprawling family drama featuring Ryan Gosling and Bradley Cooper has Cianfrance "retaining the gritty authenticity of his lyrically heartbreaking [debut]."

Complete March:

• 21 and Over (Rela.) - 3/1
• The End of Love (Vari.) - 3/1
• Hava Nagila (The Movie) (ICir) - 3/1
• I, Me Aur Main (Relbig.) - 3/1
• Jack the Giant Slayer (WB (NL)) - 3/1
• The Last Exorcism Part II (CBS) - 3/1
• Leviathan (2013) (CGld) - 3/1
• The Lost Medallion (MTE) - 3/1
• Phantom (2013) (RCR) - 3/1
• A Place at the Table (Magn.) - 3/1
• Stoker (FoxS) - 3/1
• The Sweeney (EOne) - 3/1
• War Witch (Trib.) - 3/1
• Welcome to Pine Hill (Osci.) - 3/1
• ABC's of Death (Magn.) - 3/8
• Beyond the Hills (IFC) - 3/8
• Dead Man Down (FD) - 3/8
• Don't Stop Believin': Everyman's Journey (Cdgm.) - 3/8
• Emperor (RAtt.) - 3/8
• Oz The Great and Powerful (BV) - 3/8
• The Silence (MBox) - 3/8
• The Kitchen (Mont.) - 3/14
• The Call (TriS) - 3/15
• From Up on Poppy Hill (GK) - 3/15
• Ginger & Rosa (A24) - 3/15
• The Incredible Burt Wonderstone (WB) - 3/15
• Reality (2013) (Osci.) - 3/15
• Reincarnated (Truly) - 3/15
• Spring Breakers (A24) - 3/15
• Upside Down (MNE) - 3/15
• Admission (Focus) - 3/22
• The Croods (Fox) - 3/22
• Gimme the Loot (IFC) - 3/22
• Love and Honor (2013) (IFC) - 3/22
• No Place on Earth (Magn.) - 3/22
• Olympus Has Fallen (FD) - 3/22
• The Sapphires (Wein.) - 3/22
• Starbuck (E1) - 3/22
• Welcome to the Punch (IFC) - 3/27
• Blancanieves (Cohen) - 3/29
• G.I. Joe: Retaliation (Par.) - 3/29
• Himmatwala (UTV) - 3/29
• The Host (2013) (ORF) - 3/29
• Mental (Da.) - 3/29
• The Place Beyond the Pines (Focus) - 3/29
• Room 237 (IFC) - 3/29
• Tyler Perry's Temptation: Confessions of a Marriage Counselor (LGF) - 3/29
• Wrong (2013) (Drft.) - 3/29

What do you plan to watch this month?

effe

Banned
Will see Stoker this month. Spring Breakers and Beyond the Hills eventually.

And Gosling is so awful, I don't understand Hollywood'd hard-on for him as a leading man.

Room 237
-Kubrick I had such an attention to detail that I wonder what these guys find to try to explain everything.

Stroker
- I've heard lots of good stuff about it...

Nyx

Wrong looks hilarious, so I'll definitely be seeing that.

Spring Breakers someday as well, maybe Stoker.

I wonder if Spring Breakers is going to be a Project X-hit, or if people will be turned off by Korine.

place beyond the pines looks like drive 2; not that that's a bad thing.
room 237 looks pretty good.

It shares very little similarities. I saw it last week.

Already watched Stoker. Really good flick and I feel like it is Park's best since Oldboy.

Will watch Poppy Hill on the 15th if I can.

Divius

I've already seen Wrong (disappointing after Rubber) and Room 237 (Silly but entertaining) but I still want to see Stoker, Springbreakers and Place Beyond the Pines.

I know this will get me a lot of heat, but I think The Shining is one of the most overrated movies of all time...

That being said, I'm willing to watch Room 237 and have it explained a different way so I can take a second look...

Blader

The Place Beyond the Pines is one of my most anticipated of the year, cannot wait for it. I have a passes to see a screening and a Q&A with Derek Cianfrance next Tuesday but might not be able to go. :/

Room 237 was fucking nutty. Some of the (intentional) continuity goofs they point out are pretty interesting, but the theories themselves are conspiracy theory level bullshit. They're not even really interesting interpretations, just meaningless and far reaching nonsense.

Seeing a Korine film in theaters is all that I could ever have hoped for.

QFMFingT

I saw Wrong last week. Really enjoyed it, a solid follow up to Rubber, and I don't think I could love Steve Little's character any more. Can't wait to see Wrong Cops. Do you know if it's a direct sequel? I'd watch a whole film on the cop.

And I'm stoked on seeing Stoker.

I'll see Oz this weekend only cuz my daughter wants to. Olympus Has Fallen on HBO in 6 months and maybe Spring Breakers on Netflix a year from now.

Akahige

Probably nothing, none of those films I want to see will be released here for awhile. I'd watch all from the top 5 if I could.

I liked the first GIJoe movie. It was wonderfully stupid and pandered to my inner 13-year-old self. So I'll see the sequel at some point.

Room 237 sounds like something I would love to watch, but it also sounds like the kind of movie that won't come out anywhere near where I live.

Nothing on that list. The only ones that will probably release here are (maybe) Spring Breakers and The Place Beyond the Pines, and I have only a passing interest in the latter.

I'll see Oz. Maybe GI Joe if I'm extremely bored.

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise
Stoker
The Place Beyond the Pines (probably, but the trailer did little for me)
The Call (maybe, I'm a Brad Anderson fan)
From Up on Poppy Hill (maybe, if there's a subbed screening)

Jacob

I'm not familiar with any of the upcoming releases but The Place Beyond the Pines looks intriguing. I like Gosling and Cooper so I'll probably check it out.

Tashi

343i Lead Esports Producer
As a life long Mets fan, I must see Gimme the Loot.

Definitely going to see The Place Beyond the Pines too. Movie looks awesome and I'm a Gosling whore.

Ugh, dude from Blue Valentine is back? What's the soap opera bullshit in this one? Is gosling a psychiatrist with an eye patch who comes back from the dead? lol

Gimme The Loot = Film Of The Year

LosDaddie

Banned
Nothing in the OP's list...

...But I'll probably take the family to watch The Croods, and maybe take the wife to go see Oz.

Unfortunately I don't see much I want to go out of my way and see this month. This year so far has kinda been that way. Hopefully it picks up soon.

I'll probably check out Room 237 and Stoker in the future.

Mairu

February was absolutely terrible and it doesn't look like there's much for me in March. Totally regretting MoviePass but hopefully there will be enough in the Summer to justify the cost ;[

Is Stoker getting a wider release? I was surprised when it opened on Friday not to be playing anywhere in or around SF :/

Strangely enough, I'm thinking I might enjoy watching Room 237 before I see The Shining. It might be fun to go into it knowing all the perspectives.

Eh. I'd recommend watching it first for a fresh experience -- you only get to watch a movie for the first time once. Then watch Room 237, then watch The Shining again.

Leviathan
Leviathan
Leviathan
Leviathan
Leviathan

!!

Damn straight! I need to go to IFC Center asap to check it out.

overcast

What are the chances Place Beyond the Pines gets released even a little wide? I loved Blue Valentine, so I'm interested in this.

I thought Spring Breakers looked terrible, so it's interesting that it seems to be getting positive impressions. I don't see what could be very good about it. Entertaining for sure. What else? Franco as Riff Raff?

What are the chances Place Beyond the Pines gets released even a little wide? I loved Blue Valentine, so I'm interested in this.

I thought Spring Breakers looked terrible, so it's interesting that it seems to be getting positive impressions. I don't see what could be very good about it. Entertaining for sure. What else? Franco as Riff Raff?

Korine is a pretty interesting filmmaker.

Robot 492

Banned
It is directed by Harmony Korine.

edit: Beaten, but yeah.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom