• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Alien Romulus | Rotten Watch

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
Just finished it.

It's a 6/10 for me. Not bad, but not good either. Just extremely predictable.

You've got a problem with your Alien film when the android is the highlight. David Jonsson saved the film.
The Michael Fassbender's android was also the highlight of Covenant as well. By intention from the Android's POV.

It should not have been a repeat in this one.

Last edited:

Bloobs

Al Pachinko, Konami President
I would entrust Alvarez to direct a sequel to Event Horizon 2.

Just let him do his thing and he will come up with something really good.

allow-approve.gif

Turning Around GIF by Max

Fuck, I would kill for a sequel to Event Horizon, but not from Fede.

Also it may be an unpopular opinion, but IMO, Event Horizon is a better movie than Alien Romulus.
I don't disagree with you. Event Horizon is original but is clearly inspired by the ALIEN crew. That said, the casting choice for EH was on the money.

Romulus is a culmination of set designs (and ALIEN: Isolation) and then stitches them together pretty well. Which is a challenge in it of itself. It is really fucking difficult to make an ALIEN sequel in this day and age and I respect.

But the crew is not memorable at all. I couldn't name any of them from the top of my head. There's Andy....

Last edited:

Alex11

I don't disagree with you. Event Horizon is original but is clearly inspired by the ALIEN crew. That said, the casting choice for EH was on the money.

Romulus is a culmination of set designs (and ALIEN: Isolation) and then stitches them together pretty well. Which is a challenge in it of itself. It is really fucking difficult to make an ALIEN sequel in this day and age and I respect that.

But the crew is not memorable at all.
I agree with this line, but it's not impossible, I've said my piece with this movie, I applaud the practical approach and that's about it, the rest is at best bearable on account of seeing the Xenomorph again

The cast didn't bother me, but I agree, it isn't memorable.

Mohonky

I liked it a lot, yes it has problems, but not as many as Covenant.

My Ranking:
Alien = Alien 2
Romulus
Prometheus
Alien 3
Resurrection
Covenant

I hope there is another in this vein, which could be with the
survivor
of this one or the inevitable:

The Simpsons Poochie GIF

Bonus jokes:

This happened because they wanted to escape Latin America.

and

dora the explorer nickelodeon GIF
Nah, I still have it at;

Alien /Aliens
Prometheus / Covenant
Romulus
Alien 3
Alien Resurrection

Don't care about the haters, Pro and Cov still do it for me. Sure there's some serious retardation going on in some of the characters decision making skills, but the movie give really good lore and I love the way they tie in the Engineers and concepts of intervening with Humanity. I find it am interesting concept.

I certainly wasn't disappointed by Romulus, it was much better than Resurrection and Alien 3 in concept and expanding on the Alien lore even if 'we found derelict space station entire company somehow missed so let's take companies ship with no reasonable explanation to loot it' had me trying to figure out how that made any sense.

That ending though, was not expecting that. I loved the tie-in and it was genuinely one of the most nightmarish things to come from the franchise since the original hit the screens. It was quite something and tied well to you know what.

Ulysses 31

Gold Member
Fuck, I would kill for a sequel to Event Horizon, but not from Fede.

Also it may be an unpopular opinion, but IMO, Event Horizon is a better movie than Alien Romulus.
I'd rather see the original 2 hour cut of Event Horizon with all the hell sections intact that made the test audience sick than a sequel. Like where could they take the story?

Last edited:

Alex11

I'd rather see the original 2 hour cut of Event Horizon with all the hell sections intact that made the test audience sick than a sequel. Like where could they take the story?
I don't know really, it does seem that EH is a standalone type of movie, no?

But it would be possible, as long as it doesn't try to over explain or be full of quotes and similar scenes like Romulus is with the others Alien movies.

xrnzaaas

Finally seen it and it's a 6/10 movie, probably on par with the first Prometheus. I loved the visuals, but not a fan of the cast (the black kid was by far the worst) or the story in general.

It's a shame how much the facehuggers got nerfed in the first scene and failed with their first 2 attempts, or how the characters managed to evade xenomorphs so they would be able to activate zero G and attack them without worrying about the acid.
Ripley's one-liner was so bad lol, they weren't even fighting the queen.
I liked the hybrid from the finale (the one from Alien 4 was still better though ;p), but the birth and "reaching maturity" were definitely rushed.
The acid death and cocoon scene were probably the best ones.

Last edited:

Dr.D00p

Went into it thinking the World really doesn't need another Alien movie.

..came out of it knowing the World really didn't need another Alien movie.

Just let it go.

5/10.

The Escape Pod Podcast are fucking huffing on some serious shit. It's a really fun movie, but best in the franchise? Sorry, Alien and Aliens are still butting heads over that title.

Top Bottom