• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Alien Romulus | Rotten Watch

Doom85

People giving this shit anything more than a 6/10 need to seriously watch some more movies.

I give Romulus a 8. I usually see 20-40 movies a year in theaters. I’ll watch even more movies when people learn to deal with others’ opposing opinions in ways other than for example suggesting they don’t even really know the medium they’re talking about. It doesn’t do your opinion any favors if you have to resort to such tactics.

No Way Smh GIF by Searchlight Pictures

kurisu_1974

is on perm warning for being a low level troll
I give Romulus a 8. I usually see 20-40 movies a year in theaters. I’ll watch even more movies when people learn to deal with others’ opposing opinions in ways other than for example suggesting they don’t even really know the medium they’re talking about. It doesn’t do your opinion any favors if you have to resort to such tactics.

No Way Smh GIF by Searchlight Pictures

Maybe try to watch some movies outside of your multiplex, like something not made in Hollywood even. You're making it sound like this movie is just the least smelly turd and therefore warrants a super high rating.

near

Gold Member
Maybe try to watch some movies outside of your multiplex, like something not made in Hollywood even. You're making it sound like this movie is just the least smelly turd and therefore warrants a super high rating.
Sometimes bad films can be fun and entertaining, and sometimes great films can be dull and boring. Not everyone shares the same expectations when it comes to films.

Denton

8.5 / 10

Watched the 4K dolby atmos version and glad I did, the atmosphere of this film is real 80s deliciousness. Plus I like Cailee Spaeny a lot for a few years already so nice bonus. Didn't mind the ending. But then again I always loved Resurrection too, with its comic book-esque "french weird" aesthetics and genre shift toward cynical action comedy.

diffusionx

Gold Member
That Ron Perlman got cast to be the heavy in ANOTHER band of thugs (Blade 2) after A:R is a testament to his acting prowess :p

Though there were a few good bits in A:R, it was largely a misfire for me. But I've seen every alien film, of any type, in theater since Aliens (and saw Alien as a way too young kid on vhs, maybe even betamax) so I'm about as die hard a fan as it gets. If Disney fucks this franchise enough to lose me as a fan...the series is dead dead dead.

Not trying to be a wet blanket, but I just don't know why it's a franchise. First two movies are great, and they came out ~40 years ago. That's about it. It's like Terminator.

Doom85

Alien: Covenant might actually be a better Alien film through and through.

In terms of respecting the Xenomorphs, hard disagree. As much as I liked David (mainly in Prometheus) and particular Fassbender’s performance, the decision to make him “father” of the Xenomorphs was really lame. Not to mention contradictory since we saw a mural of a Xenomorph on the planet in Prometheus. Thankfully, apparently there is a line in this film (I missed it myself) that confirms Xenomorphs did exist pre-Prometheus, so that put an end to that nonsense.

kurisu_1974

I’ve seen plenty of foreign films. Try harder.

Then I'm at a loss. This movie is objectively junk, from the horrible cast, the super stupid plotpoints (the teens stealing a mining ship, the derelict station that no one noticed or wants back, the second hand robot etc etc), the reuse of iconic scenes and dialogues, complete lack of character and identity of the whole product. HOW is this an 8/10? Genuinely curious how you can give this such a high score.

Last edited:

jason10mm

Gold Member
Not trying to be a wet blanket, but I just don't know why it's a franchise. First two movies are great, and they came out ~40 years ago. That's about it. It's like Terminator.
The hook is STRONG. Just like Predator, Robocop, Terminator, Highlander, and a few others, the base premise is just dynamite. But the more folks try to flesh it out, branch out, or do anything other than re-iterate on that base premise, we get into trouble. Some things really can't be in an "extended universe" because they are just ideas framed by the context of the times they were created in. The audiences for this stuff is also kinda fixed in time and you see the IP flailing when trying to win new folks.

But I think you can do iterative films, keep the budgets down so you can take some risks, use the ancillary media (books, comics, vidja games) to float new ideas and see what resonates, and just don't lose sight of what made the IP cool in the first place.

near

Gold Member
In terms of respecting the Xenomorphs, hard disagree. As much as I liked David (mainly in Prometheus) and particular Fassbender’s performance, the decision to make him “father” of the Xenomorphs was really lame. Not to mention contradictory since we saw a mural of a Xenomorph on the planet in Prometheus. Thankfully, apparently there is a line in this film (I missed it myself) that confirms Xenomorphs did exist pre-Prometheus, so that put an end to that nonsense.
I don't think there is any reason to think of David as the father of the Xenomorphs, Prometheus doesn't suggest this in any way. Like you said, there is the mural that depicts the Deacon. If anything, Prometheus suggests that the Engineers who bioengineered the microorganism that David uses were trying to recreate it. It is even through the facehugger that Shaw cuts out of herself that it seeds an Engineer to create the Deacon we see in the end.

I feel like Romulus lacked interesting characters and character chemistry. It lacked the suspense created in other Alien films via the looming presence of the Xenomorph. Rain just felt fearless in the face of it all. They didn't scare her at all. The film worked hard to make her feel OP, at the start there is an attempt to make the Xeno appear intelligent, by the end they're all running at her getting headshot one by one like brain-dead creatures. Zero respect given to the Xenomorphs haha.

Agree 100% but are we rating fun bad movies 8/10 now?
Transformers RotF is an 8/10 film. :messenger_tears_of_joy:

jason10mm

Gold Member
Now I'm thinking about a crossover.
Thats an interesting thought if you run it back.

So Transformers are advanced artifical life though I think they have some sort of perverted "childhood" and growth period, right? I'm sure someone has had child transformers. The xeno is an engineered silicone based lifeform, probably not all that different, in some respects, than Transformers themselves in that they may compete for the same resources should they cross paths. But since a Transformer can't host a chestburster, the xenos will likely completely ignore them, much like they did Bishop and other androids, there isn't really any conflict between them since xenos seem to go dormant with no "food" nearby, so transformers could go around, do their mining or whatever, and so long as they don't directly attack xeno hives I think they could co-exist pretty well.

So in the crossover, the only real strife would be transformers getting drawn in by humans under threat of the xenos, or transformers squaring off against the Engineers and their widespread terraforming efforts. But don't engineers focus on places with life already? I imagine transformers stick to lifeless planets for their expansion (if they ever get off Cybertron) so would they really compete directly?

I'm not sure a xeno could slash up a Transformer, probably would just so they are threat. Their blood certainly would melt through whatever metal transformers are made of though. So you'd have to position xeno hives in and around humans (or energon deposits or whatever the macguffin is) so transformers couldn't just blast them from a distance.

How adaptable is that black goo? COULD it hijack whatever fluids and information systems are inside a transformer in order to create some type of chestburster cyborg thing? Is there enough malleable stuff inside a transfomer to allow a chestburster to grow. Certainly inside a human the chestburster must be mostly organic, even if the xeno form is silicon or whatever (I'm not sure which reference for xeno lifecycles is really 'canon') but could the facehugger plant something inside a transformer that could parasitize materials to frow? Or the black goo directly infect a transformer? Seems likely since the black goo is designed to modify any base information system (be it earth DNA or something totally alien) and silicon wafer chips, nanites, or whatever a transformer is essentially made of could be susceptible. But we never see a human made android get exposed to the black goo (unless that happened in convenant and I've mind wiped it) so maybe they are too primitive?

Doom85

I don't think there is any reason to think of David as the father of the Xenomorphs, Prometheus doesn't suggest this in any way. Like you said, there is the mural that depicts the Deacon. If anything, Prometheus suggests that the Engineers who bioengineered the microorganism that David uses were trying to recreate it. It is even through the facehugger that Shaw cuts out of herself that it seeds an Engineer to create the Deacon we see in the end.

I feel like Romulus lacked interesting characters and character chemistry. It lacked the suspense created in other Alien films via the looming presence of the Xenomorph. Rain just felt fearless in the face of it all. They didn't scare her at all. The film worked hard to make her feel OP, at the start there is an attempt to make the Xeno appear intelligent, by the end they're all running at her getting headshot one by one like brain-dead creatures. Zero respect given to the Xenomorphs haha.

It’s in the feel of the films. Prometheus and Covenant had a lot of discussions about creations, being a god, giving birth and how an android can’t do that, etc. When we see in Covenant the shot of David towering over the new alien lifeform that was just born, I felt the idea was pretty clear what they were going for. It cheapens the mysterious feel of the Xenomorphs’ past. As interesting as David is, I don’t like the Xenomorphs from all the prior movies being ultimately linked to “android develops a god complex and made them”.

Romulus had two good leads even if the supporting cast was eh. The issue with Covenant is Walter and David are interesting but they’re not the leads. Instead, we have the main female lead whose only characterization is her mourning her dead husband who we don’t know (as said way earlier, this is why Covenant should have kept those deleted scenes in the film) and the male lead is a Captain whose sole character trait is supposedly being disrespected by his crew for being religious (which is brought up once only by him, and never mentioned again). We also have a TON of other characters, even with the deleted scenes it would have been difficult to make out many of them. Romulus played it smart, for as unremarkable as the other four are, I at least remember who they are and what their relationships/roles are. In Covenant, someone is screaming about their husband dying, and I’m like, “hang on, they were married? Also, who are you?” It felt Covenant just went for a big cast just to get more deaths, but I don’t care about the deaths I can’t even remember the person who died.

Covenant is also FAR weaker in the suspense category. The lead of Romulus didn’t feel OP, the gun itself saved her in that one scene, and she gets knocked around quite a lot in the final act. Covenant only has “suspense” because the RPG players for the Covenant campaign looked at their prior characters in their Prometheus campaign, and said, “hmm, I know plenty of us played with a low Intelligence stat then, but what if we lowered our INT even more?”

(sets Int to 6)

……

(sets Int to 4)

GQxX9SX.gif

(sets Int to 0)

I can’t take the suspense seriously if the only reason it’s happening is because the characters are less functional than a kindergarten class.

-decides to go to an unknown planet rather than their safe destination because they fear repeating an event which has incredibly low odds
-walk onto planet with basically no protection, no one really discusses possible diseases, deadly life forms they could encounter, etc.
-the whole “I’m locking you in the room with that creature even though I clearly had time to let you out safely! Wait, hang on, once you’re already dead, THEN I will open the door holding a gun only I won’t look at where I’m walking and thus slip on some blood and misfire which will blow up the ship!” Seriously, that sequence needed Looney Tunes-style music to it
-as I said earlier how Pitch Meeting described it:

Producer: So now that he knows he’s a threat, the Captain shoots David?
Writer: No, instead David just walks away telling the Captain to follow and the Captain follows.
Producer: What?
Writer: And then David says, “Captain, put your face in this pulsing alien egg. I assure you it’s safe.”
Producer: I mean, there’s no way he’s going to do that, right?
Writer: And then he does it!
Producer: Okay!

Also, I love how they point out not only is it unbelievable David could return to the ship disguised as Walter in time given everything he would need to do before he got there including the fight itself, but the cut on his cheek during the fight wasn’t witnessed by anyone else. So it only exists to “trick” the audience even though in-universe David has no reason to make it part of his disguise (and more stupid as the movie could have just not had the cut occur).

Honestly, while not worse, Covenant film feels dumber than Resurrection. Resurrection at least is clearly trying to be campy most of the time, while Covenant is clearly trying to be entirely serious yet its characters behave as cartoony morons.

Last edited:

kurisu_1974

Thats an interesting thought if you run it back.

So Transformers are advanced artifical life though I think they have some sort of perverted "childhood" and growth period, right? I'm sure someone has had child transformers. The xeno is an engineered silicone based lifeform, probably not all that different, in some respects, than Transformers themselves in that they may compete for the same resources should they cross paths. But since a Transformer can't host a chestburster, the xenos will likely completely ignore them, much like they did Bishop and other androids, there isn't really any conflict between them since xenos seem to go dormant with no "food" nearby, so transformers could go around, do their mining or whatever, and so long as they don't directly attack xeno hives I think they could co-exist pretty well.

So in the crossover, the only real strife would be transformers getting drawn in by humans under threat of the xenos, or transformers squaring off against the Engineers and their widespread terraforming efforts. But don't engineers focus on places with life already? I imagine transformers stick to lifeless planets for their expansion (if they ever get off Cybertron) so would they really compete directly?

I'm not sure a xeno could slash up a Transformer, probably would just so they are threat. Their blood certainly would melt through whatever metal transformers are made of though. So you'd have to position xeno hives in and around humans (or energon deposits or whatever the macguffin is) so transformers couldn't just blast them from a distance.

How adaptable is that black goo? COULD it hijack whatever fluids and information systems are inside a transformer in order to create some type of chestburster cyborg thing? Is there enough malleable stuff inside a transfomer to allow a chestburster to grow. Certainly inside a human the chestburster must be mostly organic, even if the xeno form is silicon or whatever (I'm not sure which reference for xeno lifecycles is really 'canon') but could the facehugger plant something inside a transformer that could parasitize materials to frow? Or the black goo directly infect a transformer? Seems likely since the black goo is designed to modify any base information system (be it earth DNA or something totally alien) and silicon wafer chips, nanites, or whatever a transformer is essentially made of could be susceptible. But we never see a human made android get exposed to the black goo (unless that happened in convenant and I've mind wiped it) so maybe they are too primitive?

I would watch this. Man, a xeno / transformer hybrid would be awesome though but like you said they aren't really biological creatures (the transformers). I'm not even sure there are child transformers, I think they are just constructed and brought to life by that spark thing...

Last edited:

diffusionx

Gold Member
The hook is STRONG. Just like Predator, Robocop, Terminator, Highlander, and a few others, the base premise is just dynamite. But the more folks try to flesh it out, branch out, or do anything other than re-iterate on that base premise, we get into trouble. Some things really can't be in an "extended universe" because they are just ideas framed by the context of the times they were created in. The audiences for this stuff is also kinda fixed in time and you see the IP flailing when trying to win new folks.

But I think you can do iterative films, keep the budgets down so you can take some risks, use the ancillary media (books, comics, vidja games) to float new ideas and see what resonates, and just don't lose sight of what made the IP cool in the first place.
Right, the extended universe thing is like... There's no point. The first Alien is literally "what if some really creepy and dangerous monster got on a ship." The second one is like, "what if there were more of them lmao". Knowing the lore or extended universe doesn't make these movies any better. They can exist in a vacuum. We don't need this stuff. We don't need things to tie together. Especially when the stuff that is trying to tie it together sucks.

near

Gold Member
It’s in the feel of the films. Prometheus and Covenant had a lot of discussions about creations, being a god, giving birth and how an android can’t do that, etc. When we see in Covenant the shot of David towering over the new alien lifeform that was just born, I felt the idea was pretty clear what they were going for. It cheapens the mysterious feel of the Xenomorphs’ past. As interesting as David is, I don’t like the Xenomorphs from all the prior movies being ultimately linked to “android develops a god complex and made them”.

Romulus had two good leads even if the supporting cast was eh. The issue with Covenant is Walter and David are interesting but they’re not the leads. Instead, we have the main female lead whose only characterization is her mourning her dead husband who we don’t know (as said way earlier, this is why Covenant should have kept those deleted scenes in the film) and the male lead is a Captain whose sole character trait is supposedly being disrespected by his crew for being religious (which is brought up once only by him, and never mentioned again). We also have a TON of other characters, even with the deleted scenes it would have been difficult to make out many of them. Romulus played it smart, for as unremarkable as the other four are, I at least remember who they are and what their relationships/roles are. In Covenant, someone is screaming about their husband dying, and I’m like, “hang on, they were married? Also, who are you?” It felt Covenant just went for a big cast just to get more deaths, but I don’t care about the deaths I can’t even remember the person who died.

Covenant is also FAR weaker in the suspense category. The lead of Romulus didn’t feel OP, the gun itself saved her in that one scene, and she gets knocked around quite a lot in the final act. Covenant only has “suspense” because the RPG players for the Covenant campaign looked at their prior characters in their Prometheus campaign, and said, “hmm, I know plenty of us played with a low Intelligence stat then, but we if we lowered our INT even more?”

(sets Int to 6)

……

(sets Int to 4)

GQxX9SX.gif

(sets Int to 0)

I can’t take the suspense seriously if the only reason it’s happening is because the characters are less functional than a kindergarten class.

-decides to go to an unknown planet rather than their safe destination because they fear repeating an event which has incredibly low odds
-walk onto planet with basically no protection, no one really discusses possible diseases, deadly life forms they could encounter, etc.
-the whole “I’m locking you in the room with that creature even though I clearly had time to let you out safely! Wait, hang on, once you’re already dead, THEN I will open the door holding a gun only I won’t look at where I’m walking and thus slip on some blood and misfire which will blow up the ship!” Seriously, that sequence needed Looney Tunes-style music to it
-as I said earlier how Pitch Meeting described it:

Producer: So now that he knows he’s a threat, the Captain shoots David?
Writer: No, instead David just walks away telling the Captain to follow and the Captain follows.
Producer: What?
Writer: And then David says, “Captain, put your face in this pulsing alien egg. I assure you it’s safe.”
Producer: I mean, there’s no way he’s going to do that, right?
Writer: And then he does it!
Producer: Okay!

Also, I love how they point out not only is it unbelievable David could return to the ship disguised as Walter in time given everything he would need to do before he got there including the fight itself, but the cut on his cheek during the fight wasn’t witnessed by anyone else. So it only exists to “trick” the audience even though in-universe David has no reason to make it part of his disguise (and more stupid as the movie could have just not had the cut occur).

Honestly, while not worse, Covenant film feels dumber than Resurrection. Resurrection at least is clearly trying to be campy most of the time, while Covenant is clearly trying to be entirely serious yet its characters behave as cartoony morons.
I'll have to rewatch Covenant, I'm not trying to suggest Covenant was a good film, but more-so it did things I'd expect from an Alien film as opposed to Romulus. I feel like it at least attempts to handle is characters so far as developing them with more care. None of the cast members in Romulus are memorable imo. When you develop your characters well, you can also build suspense around them a lot easier. I couldn't give a shit if all of them got their faces munched off in the first half hour, because I didn't like any of them. I think the film did a few things well, it was shot well, production was really tight, Xenomorph looked sick, environments designed well... characters and dialogue sucked, pacing was kind of good but could have been better. It wasn't dark or scary. They opted for more gore as opposed to fear and tension. I thought it was fun, but very disappointing.

You can't complain about Oram checking out the egg when the franchise started with Kane being facehugged through his helmet. The first movie also spends a hilarious amount of time talking about quarantine, even more so in the alternate cut.

Anyway there's a difference between the Covenant script and the final version. In the script David leans into the egg first, while in the movie he surrounds himself with eggs. In both versions the eggs don't react to David, so Oram doesn't realise the danger.
Also you're meant to know that David replaces Walter. It's dramatic irony.

My wife and I went to see it and we came to same conclusion. It was ok at entertaining us for 90 minutes but we have no desire to see it again.

We both loved the sets and style. Loved how it had that 1970s version of the future where things are futuristic but still very analog like the alien and aliens. There wasn't holograms and everything slick and shiny.

It started off pretty good but got dumber as it went a long. We didn't like all the heavy handed fan service call backs to the other alien movies. It was distracting to constantly see references to the older movies. A tiny Easter egg or two is fine but this was like getting slapped with a nostalgia stick every 10 minutes it insisted we love the movie because of all the references. So many unexplained things in the movie were annoying as well because they add in a lot but it is pointless and not shown as to why it was in there.

The characters were also so devoid of personality they all were 2 dimensional and uninteresting like cardboard cut outs. Andy was the best character in the movie, everyone else was just there to fill a spot. Even the worst of the other alien movies had better characters.

So, we thought it was entertaining but not great either.

stickkidsam

Just saw it. The first third of the movie was pretty neat.

After that it was a stressful 6/10. Almost a 7/10. It was a decent movie with some pretty great effects. Really enjoyed the mix of practical and CG. I even liked the new characters a bit. Those dumb bastards had some heart.

This movie made me realize how much I hate the xenomorph though. A perfect being only in that it can apparently survive anything except space bullets. It doesn’t need to eat or breathe, I’m not even sure it needs to sleep. It probably dreams of hyena vaginas and dead babies. And it has battery acid for blood. WHY? Because fuck all yall! All this angry dildo does is kill. Yet there’s always some guy ready to prostrate his asshole to it while he yanks his crank to the snuff film unfolding before him. Then this dumbass super corporation thinks it can use it. Hubris doesn’t even begin to describe how far up their asses these guys must be.

So yeah. Movie was alright. Had some fun. My cousin and I were laughing and gagging the whole drive home. Vagina wall.

Hugare

Saw it yesterday. Great movie.

Best Alien since 2, by far. I've recently watched 2 and honestly, I would put Romulus above it (try removing the rose tinted glasses)

Horror movies from the 80's are meant to be enjoyed despite the cheese, but they all have aged like milk (except Alien and Chainsaw Massacre)

I loved how they've developed the world of Alien here. The crew was too young, imo, but eh, for me it worked. The Andy actor was excellent.

To me the movie was tense the whole way through. About the "no sound" part being stupid:

yeah, I'm sure that you would ignore your sister when she would be about to get killed.

And the main girl could have been the PERFECT Ellie, goddamn Druckman

l31hYzf.jpeg

Last edited:

Doom85

Saw it yesterday. Great movie.

Best Alien since 2, by far. I've recently watched 2 and honestly, I would put Romulus above it (try removing the rose tinted glasses)

Horror movies from the 80's are meant to be enjoyed despite the cheese, but they all have aged like milk (except Alien and Chainsaw Massacre)

I loved how they've developed the world of Alien here. The crew was too young, imo, but eh, for me it worked. The Andy actor was excellent.

To me the movie was tense the whole way through. About the "no sound" part being stupid:

yeah, I'm sure that you would ignore your sister when she would be about to get killed.

And the main girl could have been the PERFECT Ellie, goddamn Druckman

l31hYzf.jpeg

I would say it’s my third favorite. Aliens has aged very well IMHO (and mind you, I’m very critical of nostalgia. Also, I didn’t see Aliens until the early 2010’s and I was in my mid 20’s by then, so it’s not even a film I can technically have nostalgia for), even if the suspense isn’t as strong as Alien, the characters have such wonderful chemistry of all sorts with one another and even their simple characterization still works due to that factor. And the scale feels appropriately “epic”. I would say, yes, a lot of horror from the 70’s/80’s (I assume you meant both decades since Alien and TCM had their first films in the 70’s not 80’s) may not have aged the best, but I would say some others still really hold up: Halloween, Black Christmas, The Exorcist, Suspiria, etc.

As for the actress and TLOU, the issue is Ellie is meant to be 14 in Season 1 (I assume they follow the game in terms of her age, I haven’t gotten around to the show yet). Now, based on the footage I’ve seen, sure I wouldn’t say Belle Ramsey looks 14, but she definitely looks closer to it than Cailee Spaeny.

Hugare

I would say it’s my third favorite. Aliens has aged very well IMHO (and mind you, I’m very critical of nostalgia. Also, I didn’t see Aliens until the early 2010’s and I was in my mid 20’s by then, so it’s not even a film I can technically have nostalgia for), even if the suspense isn’t as strong as Alien, the characters have such wonderful chemistry of all sorts with one another and even their simple characterization still works due to that factor. And the scale feels appropriately “epic”. I would say, yes, a lot of horror from the 70’s/80’s (I assume you meant both decades since Alien and TCM had their first films in the 70’s not 80’s) may not have aged the best, but I would say some others still really hold up: Halloween, Black Christmas, The Exorcist, Suspiria, etc.

As for the actress and TLOU, the issue is Ellie is meant to be 14 in Season 1 (I assume they follow the game in terms of her age, I haven’t gotten around to the show yet). Now, based on the footage I’ve seen, sure I wouldn’t say Belle Ramsey looks 14, but she definitely looks closer to it than Cailee Spaeny.
Yeah, dont get me wrong, Aliens is fun, like Resident Evil 4 is fun. But horror they are not, and this is why I'm very "eh" about it.

Xenomorph should be a force of nature that you cant easily kill. They've made it too disposible in Aliens. Its like creating an army of Michael Myers or Freddy Kruegers that could be killed with weapons. I wouldnt fear them as much anymore.

And about Ellie, well, the opposite happens with Bella, 'cause she looks way too young to play older Ellie, which is jarring.
I believe that making Cailee look younger would be easier than making Bella look older.

Trilobit

It starts of strongly with a dark atmosphere that envelopes you and you can really feel why they want off the planet. Then half-way through it stumbles into generic territory and my interest dwindled quickly. If they let the director have another go with a sequel, doesn't have to be with the same characters, and give him a better script I think it can be great. The cinematography was top notch.

A top secret xeno lab SPACE STATION that was overrun somehow is just drifting through space and turns up in orbit above a Weyland mining outpost and the only people to pick it up are a rag tag bunch of kids!?!?

I had the same question maybe a few pages back, and asked if I missed some line of dialogue or explained it. Glad to see I'm not the only one confused by this.

martial arts nut punch GIF

Prometheus > Covenant > Romulus.

The Engineer lore and architecture from Prometheus and Covenant is too cool. Fassbender vs Fassbender with a Blade Runner reference thrown in during their fight was also great ("That's the spirit!").
Although I didn't hate Romulus, in essence it's a teen jump-scare movie with unmemorable characters (Andy, Rook, and Xenomorphs aside). Fede Alvarez said similar to "a group of kids trapped in a room" as his frame of thought behind the scenes. They nailed the aesthetic and tone of the music though. Fun ending too.

Lunarorbit

Gold Member
I admire all the people brave enough to watch this thing after covenant :lollipop_grinning_sweat:
While it doesn't look bad the alien franchise doesn't deserve any benefit of doubt.

When they pull off what the last few predator movies have done (except the one where autism is revealed to be a super power. That one was horrible) then maybe I'll see an alien movie in the theater again

BlackCoffee

Neo Member
While it doesn't look bad the alien franchise doesn't deserve any benefit of doubt.

When they pull off what the last few predator movies have done (except the one where autism is revealed to be a super power. That one was horrible) then maybe I'll see an alien movie in the theater again
I've been praying for a 4 out of 5 star predator flick for the longest.
Justin Timberlake Waiting GIF by MOODMAN

Last edited:

violence

David's version of the deacon has the black "armor" (as worded by Ridley Scott) and the acid blood. He shepherded it's evolution after dropping the black goo on the engineers or whatever you do to get a deacon. The movie should have focused more on the weird experiments instead of an alien on a spaceship.

Last edited:

jason10mm

Gold Member
Yeah, dont get me wrong, Aliens is fun, like Resident Evil 4 is fun. But horror they are not, and this is why I'm very "eh" about it.

Xenomorph should be a force of nature that you cant easily kill. They've made it too disposible in Aliens. Its like creating an army of Michael Myers or Freddy Kruegers that could be killed with weapons. I wouldnt fear them as much anymore.

And about Ellie, well, the opposite happens with Bella, 'cause she looks way too young to play older Ellie, which is jarring.
I believe that making Cailee look younger would be easier than making Bella look older.
That was the point of ANOES though, if you could bring Freddy into the "real" world then you COULD kill him. Myers presumably as well if anyone could actually shoot straight. Even Jason up till 4 was just a mortal man.

Seeing heavy weaponry defeat individual xenos wasn't an issue for me, it showed how they adapt and still defeat the superior force. It's the "they're coming through the walls!" bit of fear and realization that the xenos are NOT just dumb merciless brutes that was the terrifying part of Aliens, they CAN think, plan, and alter strategy. Romulus doesn't really go there with the xenos, sidelining them for the engineer stuff is one of the big derails of this series of films IMHO.

Hugare

That was the point of ANOES though, if you could bring Freddy into the "real" world then you COULD kill him. Myers presumably as well if anyone could actually shoot straight. Even Jason up till 4 was just a mortal man.

Seeing heavy weaponry defeat individual xenos wasn't an issue for me, it showed how they adapt and still defeat the superior force. It's the "they're coming through the walls!" bit of fear and realization that the xenos are NOT just dumb merciless brutes that was the terrifying part of Aliens, they CAN think, plan, and alter strategy. Romulus doesn't really go there with the xenos, sidelining them for the engineer stuff is one of the big derails of this series of films IMHO.
Im not arguying if thats the point or not, just that its stupid, 'cause it makes the xenomorph feel like a smaller threat.

Seeing "heavy" weaponry (normal rifles) kill xenos was definitely a problem for me. 'Cause if they are only a threat when in numbers, then they arent as smart as you thought they could be. How many xenos have the marines killed in Aliens? How many of them were just rushing to their deaths? That makes them look stupid.

The xeno from the first movie looked WAY smarter than any other from the sequel. He never went head first. He was always lurking, hunting, outsmarting them.

Romulus made them smarter than Aliens, imo. They also lurked, hunted in the shadows. One if them even waited for them to open the door for the girl so it could kill everyone. They've feared the weapon when they were in the hive 'cause they didnt know what it could do. They were smart af.

Last edited:
Top Bottom