• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

10 reasons I love UT2004, 130 Reasons I hate it

Gattsu25

Banned
10 seconds to uninstall this game in preperation for Doom3
130 minutes to defrag after uninstalling it (much unlike the 1min defrags I do daily)

Discuss :b

Tellaerin

Gattsu25 said:
10 seconds to uninstall this game in preperation for Doom3
130 minutes to defrag after uninstalling it (much unlike the 1min defrags I do daily)

Discuss :b

What's there to discuss? Personally, I think you'd be better off sticking with UT2k4, but it's your nickel. (I'll probably pick up the game for the single-player, but four-man deathmatch on dark levels with flashlights doesn't do much for me. Besides, that idea--without the player cap--was already done to death in the Darkmatch mod for classic UT, ages and ages ago. ;) ) Have fun, and let us know how you like Doom 3. :)

EDIT: And as far as the defrags go, well... UT2k4 installs a lot of content. *shrug* Beyond that, dunno what to tell you.

FightyF

Banned
Whatever you do is up to you...if you feel that you're going to have fun...I shouldn't be saying much besides "enjoy!"

I do think that it goes to show that next gen games may need larger capacities than current DVD technology offers. Plus, the next PC that I'm gonna buy is going to have a massive HDD.

Culex

Banned
What did you expect? It takes 5.5 gigabytes just to install the game, add in downloading maps/patches/mods and you can easily get up to 7.

Dilbert

Haven't played Doom 3 yet, but I doubt that it will supplant UT2k4 as my personal favorite game of the year. I haven't even STARTED playing Call of Duty, and I got both games at the same time.

golem

why the heck does ut2k4 take 5 gigs to install... i uninstalled it a few weeks ago and now i kinda want to play it again but thinking about shuffling all those damn cds makes me sick

Kon Tiki

Banned
golem said:
why the heck does ut2k4 take 5 gigs to install... i uninstalled it a few weeks ago and now i kinda want to play it again but thinking about shuffling all those damn cds makes me sick

Back your cds into a dvd.

On second thought, I think you need some files that are not on the cd to do that.

Gattsu25

Banned
meh...my UT2K4 server tabs were fucked...asked about them TWICE over here and got jackshit for help both times. So, seeing as how I couldn't see anything about a server except for the name until I click on them, playing online became fustrating...as such, I haven't played the game in months

When I defrag, I use VoptXP. It finishes in 20 minutes max for a 80 GB drive... compared to Windows Defrag that restarts at 1% for about two hours till it finally makes some progress. Of course, I don't defrag that often lol.

Grimlock

Chony said:
My UT2004 folder is 8 gigabytes. Nuff' said.

I only wish it was on mine:

1173544onlycopy.JPG

Admittedly, I like collecting maps...

MoxManiac

Your running at 1600x1200, in that screenshot of your desktop, aren't you... :(

**breaks down in tears over his 19" trinitron flat screen monitor dying last week**

This 5 year old 17" piece of junk i'm (back) on isn't the same...

Grimlock

Actually I'm doing 1280X1040. I shrunk my jpeg so it wouldn't completely crush someone's bandwith. My monitor can go to 1600, but I have trouble reading the text at that size.

Doc Holliday

SPOILER: Columbus finds America
UT2004 MP>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Doom3 mp
Doom3 sp >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>unreal has sp?
:)

Now bring on Quake4 damn it!

Top Bottom