• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

10 years later, are home printers still a dumpster fire? (need recommendations)

Do not buy inkjet. One year's of usage will cost you the same price in a laser printer + toner. Not to mention they print better and faster and are getting much cheaper.

My girlfriend had a brother laser printer for her job worked fine, the ones at my work are HP and they're pretty great.

zer0das

Banned
How long would a <$100 b&w laser printer last? I print less than 100 pages a year, so it's not worth it even if it lasts 3-5 years.

It probably would be, inkjet cartridges gotta be replaced all the damn time because they dry out. I bought a Cannon laser printer for $76 bucks and it has lasted 2 years and hasn't caused me any trouble at all. They discontinued my model though.

my brother inkjet is the bomb.

good on ink, no driver issues, prints from wifi like butter.

wasn't expensive either, but i'm not looking to cheap out on printers, i'd rather spend a bit more and trust it's not going to die on the first 100 pages.

also pretty good at printing envelopes, which is what i was mostly having troubles with on my old printer.

+1 for laser printers, it's the best option for home needs and most office needs.
Unrelated, but I want to vent a little bit: to me, it seems to me that printers have become the VHS recorders of the 21st century, in terms of actually making the work how you want to. Configuring a wireless printer always, ALWAYS gave me grief, and even wired ones are sometimes problematic.
The samsung one I own currently takes a long time to receive the printing order, and you HAVE to turn it on beforehand. Before that was the case, I would have to connect directly to it via wi-fi. I changed nothing.

Piggus

I have an Epson ET-2650, which uses ink wells that you refill via bottles rather than cartridges (kind of like a continuous ink system but built-in). It's not super fast, but the quality is pretty good and it saves a TON of money on ink. I've printed 800+ pages (including lots of full quality color photos) and I've used maybe 1/3rd of the black, 1/4 of magenta, and 1/6 of the rest.

Lkr

Brother laser printer. I don't print much, still on the starter toner that came with the one I bought in January 2012

Kite

I agree with all the posters saying Brothers black and white laser printer, they're reliable and around $70.

shira

Do not buy inkjet. One year's of usage will cost you the same price in a laser printer + toner. Not to mention they print better and faster and are getting much cheaper.

My girlfriend had a brother laser printer for her job worked fine, the ones at my work are HP and they're pretty great.
People see the printer is $40. They buy that

inner-G

Banned
I have a canon laser that I like.

You pay out the ass for laser toner, but anything less would be uncivilized.

Darmstadtium

Bandwagoner
It depends on what you're using it for. I mostly use mine for school (printing out powerpoints and such), but I found that my Brother J870DW does me well. It's inkjet, but you can get offbrand ink on Amazon for 18 dollars for 10 cartridges.

Accident

I'm happy with my Epson Ecotank printer.

It's the cheapest alternative if you are planning on printing some color pages

A $12 ink bottle is supposed to last for more than 4000 pages. I haven't had to buy more ink since I got it last year.

Stitch

Gold Member
Brother laser printer is the best. Bought one because the Ink for my HP printer would have cost 60€. I got the laser printer with toner for 58€. I bought it in March 2014 and somehow I'm still using the same fucking toner!! And a new one would only cost 15€ from Amazon.

Yup. As other's have stated get a brother laser jet or a laser jet. You get thousands of prints out of them. Things are great work horses.

Random Human

They were trying to grab your prize. They work for the mercenary. The masked man.
Is the Brother HL-L2360DW a good option? I'm thinking of pulling the trigger on this.

Rell

I guess I had no idea people struggle with printers.

They print stuff on paper that you send from your computer...I mean, yeah.

I thought this thread was going to be about quality specs or color accuracy or something.

Also: the banner ad at the top of my page right now is for a HP PageWide Pro printer.

Wow have never experienced the problems with printers people in this thread seem to have.

I push print. It prints. Have never had it do anything other than that.

The only problem with printers is the price of ink feels like fucking robbery.

Pagusas

Elden Member

I thought this thread was going to be about quality specs or color accuracy or something.

Also: the banner ad at the top of my page right now is for a HP PageWide Pro printer.

ITs not about specs, its about post purchase support and eco system. They all suck and are ways to rip you off. $65 for ink refils and such.

Clockwork

Is the Brother HL-L2360DW a good option? I'm thinking of pulling the trigger on this.

I have a Brother HL-L2360DW laser printer.

It was cheap, it has wifi, and the toner lasts forever (with two size options available).

A month or so after I got mine my parents bought the same one as they were tired of buying ink refills.

A couple of laser printers are good and everything else is an elaborate crime.

http://m.thewirecutter.com/reviews/best-laser-printer/

Bought the Brother HL-L2340DW a couple weeks ago for $75 on NewEgg, haven't used it much yet but it's good so far for what I need it for and no longer needing to go somewhere else and pay to print stuff, did that for way, way too long after I gave up on my Lexmark printer and its ink drying out from my not using it enough. Wish I had a scanner but apps are good enough for that when it comes to documents.

McLovin

I got a laser printer, literally every printer I have ever gotten before that was hot garbage. And you would think that printers get better as time goes on but no. The last ink printer I got was a Brothers (ink cartridge) printer. And that thing dumped ink out every time it cleaned its heads. And it did that every day. Even if you used it one time it would run out of ink on its own.

I mean, most printers now are also scanners and copiers, and many are also faxes.
And you can print from "The Cloud™," via sending email to the printer, etc. as well.

Snagged a Brother Laser B/W printer from Best Buy just now thanks to you guys. Excited to see how it fares.

Wow have never experienced the problems with printers people in this thread seem to have.

I push print. It prints. Have never had it do anything other than that.

The only problem with printers is the price of ink feels like fucking robbery.
That means you guys have been lucky. The majority of people's experiences with printers regardless of brand is a Russian Roulette of hardware issues. Yes in theory you should easily just be able to connect, go and print. In theory.

In practice however, printers behaving as they were intended are about as reliable as getting an image with bunny ears. Feel free to recommend the printers that have given the two of you zero issues, that is the point of this thread after all.

That's the one I have. I've had it for over a year and a half.

I had bought extra toner when I got the printer, but the starter toner it came with personally lasted me almost an entire year before I finally had to replace it!

If you're just going to print documents at home I would recommend a laser printer like Brother. It has wifi and I have had it almost 7 years now. All i've done is changed the toner drum once!

thanks for this thread. my "wireless" hp printer remains wireless for a day or two and then is always offline. i reinstall, update drivers, same shit happens. so now it's pretty much wired. thing has a mind of its own. really need something new and reliable.

gcubed

I have a 7+ year old epson with WiFi and google print support and haven't had a single problem printing to it ever.

Ink cartridges suck, especially if you aren't someone who prints a lot (shit dries out and just sucks in general), but sending documents and scanning stuff over the network (or Internet with Google cloud print) has worked without a hitch for 7 years

Swig_

The best printer I've ever had was a Canon. A part broke (just plastic), so I had to get rid of it. I bought an HP Envy or something to replace it and it's a piece of garbage. Printed fine once and now it only prints blue, despite doing all the maintenance and all that. It's a joke. If I ever need one again, it'll be a Canon.

Huh... I've had a Samsung SCX-4200 for 10 years or so and never had a problem with it.

samsung_scx4200_2.jpg

Well, tbh... I did have a problem a few weeks ago... I thought it was fucked up since it's so old, turned out it was just a bad USB cable.

mokeyjoe

In my years working in IT, I have learned that printers are Satan. I refuse to own one.

If I really need something printed I'll get someone to do it for me. Fuck printers.

I have a HP all-in-one and the ink cartridges are not only super expensive, but they dry out VERY quickly if you dont print often.

Get a laser.

Honestly, I can 3d print stuff easier than using my hp, buggy, crashy, POS, inkjet.

Everytime I have to use it I absolutely HATE it. Or it's out of ink, somehow.

thanks for this thread. my "wireless" hp printer remains wireless for a day or two and then is always offline. i reinstall, update drivers, same shit happens. so now it's pretty much wired. thing has a mind of its own. really need something new and reliable.

Same here, wifi worked for a couple days tops. Every diagnostic I've run on it says its fine.

Tripon

Brother is the hardest printer to use. Their ui is atrocious. Plus you still need to replace the drum unit on brother lazer printers.
That's fine, replacing the drum is like a 2-3 year purchase and you can get an OEM version that may not be good but 3 times cheaper.

Laser printers are great and what you should get for the home office unless you really need to print color.

dpunk3

I think there are some 3rd party options for Brother on Amazon but not sure how that works. Like $12 instead of the $30-$60 that are typical.

But what I might do is just buy another Brother if it goes on sale for Black Friday for $60 or so. I'll have to see but even the $30 toner refill would last me 2 years.

Those 3rd party options are whats called remanufactured cartridges. Basically refilled cartridges that are sold at a discount. Not necessarily a bad thing, but sometimes they can fuck up your printer or not work altogether. Regularly had people come back with defective cartridges, and had a few come back needing to get a new printer because a used cartridge destroyed their printer somehow (ink line jam, print head malfunction from old cartridge). I would usually not advise people to get them.

I have an old Canon MX880 that still works relatively great. It's gotten a little slower sometimes at initializing print jobs, but the actual printing, scanning, copying is trouble-free. Canon even provided Windows 10 drivers for it. I think I bought it in 2011.

louiedog

I have an old Canon MX880 that still works relatively great. It's gotten a little slower sometimes at initializing print jobs, but the actual printing, scanning, copying is trouble-free. Canon even provided Windows 10 drivers for it. I think I bought it in 2011.

I have a Canon from maybe 2009 or so. It doesn't have a black only option for printing. It flat out doesn't exist. You know, so I won't miss out on the best quality when I need to print out an unimportant form. I took out the ink when I moved and threw the cartridges away because they were old and probably almost dried up. I tried to scan something after moving and it was impossible without ink because there was no way to clear the "no ink" error, even in the windows software.

It worked well when it had ink in it assuming you don't mind draining all tanks without any choice but those design decisions make me never, ever want to own another canon printing product. Screw them.

kamakazi5

I bought a wireless Brother laser printer off Amazon for around $100 and have had zero issues with it. The toner is relatively cheap if you buy the off brand version. I have had it for two years and only used the original cartridge and one replacement.

Top Bottom