• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

1001 Spikes |OT| +1 spike

Salsa

if7LwxlPrKeaG.png
if7LwxlPrKeaG.png
if7LwxlPrKeaG.png
if7LwxlPrKeaG.png
if7LwxlPrKeaG.png
if7LwxlPrKeaG.png
if7LwxlPrKeaG.png
if7LwxlPrKeaG.png
if7LwxlPrKeaG.png
if7LwxlPrKeaG.png
if7LwxlPrKeaG.png
if7LwxlPrKeaG.png
if7LwxlPrKeaG.png
if7LwxlPrKeaG.png
if7LwxlPrKeaG.png
if7LwxlPrKeaG.png
if7LwxlPrKeaG.png
if7LwxlPrKeaG.png
if7LwxlPrKeaG.png
if7LwxlPrKeaG.png
if7LwxlPrKeaG.png

i2bGLkB537Lh0.png

1001 Spikes (formerly known as Aban Hawkins & the 1001 Spikes) is an enhanced remake of the Xbox Live Indie Game Aban Hawkins & the 1000 Spikes by
8Bits Fanatics. The new version is being brought to a variety of systems by Nicalis.

In 1001 Spikes, players begin as explorer Aban Hawkins searching for his missing archeologist father and the treasure of Ukampa in South America. Players will
run through the temple ruins while avoiding deadly traps. 1001 Spikes can be played single-player or with up to four players in co-op and versus modes.
The game includes more than 100 stages, two dozen unlockable characters and multiple endings.

1001_Spikes.jpg

AbanPreview3-620x.jpg

257944-h1.jpg

AbanPreview2-620x.jpg

Platforms: Steam/WiiU/3DS/Vita/PS4/XBONE
Price: $15 ($10 if you own a previous NICALIS game)
Release Date: June 3rd​

ibeyBAN0fDmnWl.png
ibeyBAN0fDmnWl.png
ibeyBAN0fDmnWl.png
ibeyBAN0fDmnWl.png
ibeyBAN0fDmnWl.png
ibeyBAN0fDmnWl.png
ibeyBAN0fDmnWl.png
ibeyBAN0fDmnWl.png
ibeyBAN0fDmnWl.png
ibeyBAN0fDmnWl.png
ibeyBAN0fDmnWl.png
ibeyBAN0fDmnWl.png
ibeyBAN0fDmnWl.png
ibeyBAN0fDmnWl.png
ibeyBAN0fDmnWl.png
ibeyBAN0fDmnWl.png
ibeyBAN0fDmnWl.png
ibeyBAN0fDmnWl.png
ibeyBAN0fDmnWl.png
ibeyBAN0fDmnWl.png
ibeyBAN0fDmnWl.png

Mister D

Goddamn it, more pixel art. I am so sick of indie games using pixel art. I really miss 2d sidescrolling platformers but I grew up playing Genesis and SNES and really wish more devs would make the jump to using 16 bit art instead. Mario and the Sonic games along with other platformers from the 16 bit era still look great even on a big TV. I can appreciate the craft in these games and I know using pixel art is probably easier for the small teams making these games but I was never a fan of that style and was so relieved when we made the jump from Atari and NES to the graphics the SNES and Genesis could put out. I'll probably pass on this although it looks like it could be pretty cool.

maxcriden

Sweet OT, thanks! I thought someone else had called it, though? (or semi-called it?)

Anyway, it looks great. Thank you for making it.

A bit more info on the glitches (which I thought were in the Wii U and 3DS versions?):

The downside is that Nicalis has found " a few issues" at the 11th hour, and the initial releases will have those issues — on the flipside it says "Nintendo has assured us that an update could be issued within a couple of days of release to knock out those bugs". As a result the studio has decided to release the games alongside the other platforms and will, presumably, get that fix applied promptly.

http://www.nintendolife.com/news/2014/05/1001_spikes_hitting_3ds_and_wii_u_on_3rd_june

(FWIW, I know about the Nicalis concerns with Grinsia and all, but I don't know if these bugs are definitely game-breaking or not. Where did you read that, Dash?)

Also, is that loyalty discount applicable to any systems other than 3DS? OP makes it sounds like it is but I am pretty sure it doesn't apply to Wii U at least.

Finally, if anyone knows, I have a question about the T rating and the game itself. In the new characters trailer there is a cheesecake pinup-type piece of art for one of the characters. Is that in the game itself? I'm hoping not because that's not my kind of thing, but I'd like to know either way if anyone knows or has played a review build.

Salsa

Sweet OT, thanks! I thought someone else had called it, though? (or semi-called it?)

oh, sorry bout that. Checked the OT claiming thing on community and didnt see it and figured id make it since it comes out in 3 days

Also, is that loyalty discount applicable to any systems other than 3DS? OP makes it sounds like it is but I am pretty sure it doesn't apply to Wii U at least.

applies for Steam as well, so I assumed. If not then that's a bummer!

maxcriden

oh, sorry bout that. Checked the OT claiming thing on community and didnt see it and figured id make it since it comes out in 3 days

applies for Steam as well, so I assumed. If not then that's a bummer!

Oh, no sweat. Just trying to let the guy who wanted to make it know he wasn't forgotten! ;)
(IIRC, FWIW he never officially claimed it.)

Looks like you're right about the Steam discount, via Polygon:

The game will cost $14.99 on all platforms and will be cross-buy compatible on PS4 and Vita, allowing users to pay once for both Sony platform versions. Steam users that already own one of two other Nicalis games, platform adventure Cave Story or physics-based puzzler Night Sky, can buy 1001 Spikes at a $5 loyalty discount.

Dash Kappei

Not actually that important
(FWIW, I know about the Nicalis concerns with Grinsia and all, but I don't know if these bugs are definitely game-breaking or not. Where did you read that, Dash?)

I thought I read that on Nintendolife but I can' t find it anymore to link it, so I'll edit the post 'cause I don't wanna scare people off a good game if I'm misremembering things right. Thanks for asking, btw :)

Goddamn it, more pixel art. I am so sick of indie games using pixel art. I really miss 2d sidescrolling platformers but I grew up playing Genesis and SNES and really wish more devs would make the jump to using 16 bit art instead. Mario and the Sonic games along with other platformers from the 16 bit era still look great even on a big TV. I can appreciate the craft in these games and I know using pixel art is probably easier for the small teams making these games but I was never a fan of that style and was so relieved when we made the jump from Atari and NES to the graphics the SNES and Genesis could put out. I'll probably pass on this although it looks like it could be pretty cool.

I'm not sure you fully grasp what pixel art is ;)

Mister D

I'm not sure you fully grasp what pixel art is ;)

You know what I mean. Yeah 16 bit games use pixel art as well but it seems like the vast majority of indie games use 8 bit graphics techniques for whatever reason. Maybe it's easier for a small team or in some cases one guy to create a game using 8 bit graphics but it would be nice to see more indie games progress beyond that art style and do more stuff in the style of Braid or Limbo. I'd love some new platformers that have a similar look to the Sonic, Mario, Rocket Knight Adventures, and Bubsy games. But my dislike for 8 bit graphics might be off topic in this thread so I'll leave it alone now.

Five

Banned
You know what I mean. Yeah 16 bit games use pixel art as well but it seems like the vast majority of indie games use 8 bit graphics techniques for whatever reason. Maybe it's easier for a small team or in some cases one guy to create a game using 8 bit graphics but it would be nice to see more indie games progress beyond that art style and do more stuff in the style of Braid or Limbo. I'd love some new platformers that have a similar look to the Sonic, Mario, Rocket Knight Adventures, and Bubsy games. But my dislike for 8 bit graphics might be off topic in this thread so I'll leave it alone now.

This game would have looked great with Spelunky HD-style graphics. And your impression is right: it's much easier to do this style of art than otherwise. You have to do less work per asset, can get away with far fewer animation frames (or even none) and can get away with tiling and repeating assets much more.

I imagine the game is still lots of fun, but it's definitely a bummer to see game devs keep on doing this.

Finally, if anyone knows, I have a question about the T rating and the game itself. In the new characters trailer there is a cheesecake pinup-type piece of art for one of the characters. Is that in the game itself? I'm hoping not because that's not my kind of thing, but I'd like to know either way if anyone knows or has played a review build.
Dude, let it go. This is the eighth time you've posted this in the last few threads on this game, it's a piece of mild character art, it's not going to harm you.

We get it, you're so totally progressive feminist. Awesome. Now let the thread be about the game.

Y'know, every time I see this game brought up it always calls to mind Nanashi no Game. What I wouldn't give to see that properly translated and localized....

I'm ready to die 1000 times and emerge victorious in the end. Might wait a few days for the "issues" to be ironed out though... Will be busy with MK8 in the meantime anyway.

Y'know, every time I see this game brought up it always calls to mind Nanashi no Game. What I wouldn't give to see that properly translated and localized....
Square-Enix popped a piece of that out of the package and put it on iOS.

But yeah, this is on my short list of DS games that hurt my soul being stuck in Japan.

So what exactly happens at Nicalis during development? Is it like a team of three people or what? I'm really worried about Binding of Isaac :/ This has taken so long to come out.

Seriously? Why is it them and them alone that seems to have a mysterious issue with every company's European submission process...
No, it's not just Nicalis, I've seen more than a couple of indie developers talk about how difficult (and costly) the mess of ratings processes for a European release are.

You should direct your rage at PEGI, etc.

May as well post my review of the XBLIG version from way back.

Only costs $1 and your sanity said:
When I was young platforming games were flower and pony affairs, everyone was so happy, and spikes were where they belonged...in pits. Nowadays the platformer has become the most cut-throat and ruthless genre since Starcraft. Used to be we'd run around collecting coins, smashing goofy moonsters with our butts, and saving the fairy forest from Dr. Robomachimecha. Nowadays it's all about games like Super Meat Boy where our girlfriends get punched out and we die thousands of times to buzz-saws and other nasty things that grind us up into paste and spew our innards all over the pretty grass.

You take one look at the title of this game and you know what to expect. It's all a lie though as there are far more than just a thousand spikes. Imagine trillions of spikes, as far as the eye can see, spikes on the floor, the wall, the ceiling, even your cellular make-up has spike DNA in it. Your body is a veritable spike-magnet and when the two of you come together it makes the kind of poetry that would get your middle-school self sent straight to the Principal's office and then the Psychiatric Ward.

Aban Hawkins is a man with a treasure map. Only a man with 1,000 lives would dare brave a trap-filled labyrinth. I'm not even sure why he's doing this to himself, I'd rather get put on the electric chair 999 times. Nevertheless he's got an infinite supply of knives, a regular jump, and a high jump. If objects have to be pushed he can push them as well. Above all however he has 1,000 lives because the game expects the player to die.

When you die in this game it's not always because you made a mistake or that your reflexes weren't up to snuff. You die in this game whenever the developer feels like it. You're running along, dodging a huge mass of spikes and falling platforms, you land on some nondescript block and oops, spike floor straight up the booty. Sometimes you're jumping along some platforms and hey that platform just fell right out from under you and you're dead again. This game is all about trial and a crapload of error.

You might call this game unfair but definitely don't call it badly designed. Since the game has so much control over how and where the player can die that means it also has the freedom to do whatever it likes to keep the player alive. It's tough but all of the stages are quite do-able and the level-design tends to be really impressive. It totally captures the mood of "okay these natives totally don't want anyone to get their treasure" and at the same time pulling through a stage without dying really feels like you've cheated the system somehow and in real life you should be awarded a lost treasure from Aztinca.

One of the options available in this game is that the player can skip stages. This is good and yet also really bad. For one the game tends to build up on the trap designs. So what was just a spike floor could be mixed up with a flame trap, rolling boulders, and who knows what else. If you can't figure out the spike floor there's no way you'll get past any of the more serious combinations. Another thing to keep in mind is that only up to ten stages can be skipped. It's really not something that can be abused and somehow I bet doing this will lock the player out of the best ending.

Then again I don't know because I haven't beaten this game. I won't even throw in the word "yet" because I can't guarantee anything. It's more than just having a thousand lives, I only have one and so does the controller in my hands, playing this game puts the both of our lives at risk. There are some stages where literally every spot the player could be in will result in death. If that sort of thing tickles your indescribable spots then by all means give this game a look as it is fantastic. On the other hand even if you're a veteran of modern platformers the possibility exists that this game will break you.

From what I've seen of 1,001's trailers most of this still applies. The new content (levels, characters, modes) looks interesting but I suck too much at the game to consider it.

VLiberty

I hope it's not too far away.I'm planning to wait until it goes on sale though.

Seriously? Why is it them and them alone that seems to have a mysterious issue with every company's European submission process...

There's Renegade Kid as well. In fact I'm still waiting for MM Deluxe Vita to come here...

maxcriden

I thought I read that on Nintendolife but I can' t find it anymore to link it, so I'll edit the post 'cause I don't wanna scare people off a good game if I'm misremembering things right. Thanks for asking, btw :)

Thanks, Dash! :)

Dude, let it go. This is the eighth time you've posted this in the last few threads on this game, it's a piece of mild character art, it's not going to harm you.

We get it, you're so totally progressive feminist. Awesome. Now let the thread be about the game.

It's not the eighth time. I asked about it a couple times in the previous thread, and once here since discussion about the game has moved here now.

This is about the game. Specifically, this is about an aspect of the game that is important to me personally. I don't buy games like DOA that are all about cheesecake type stuff. It's not about being a feminist (although I do personally find art like this to be degrading to women, and it's my right to have this opinion), it's just not my cup of tea. I don't find it mild, and I'm not worried about it "harming me," it's just not my kind of thing.

We get it, you're so good at trying to put me down because we have different viewpoints. Awesome. Now let me ask my question.

There's a fan translation patch. I haven't played it myself, though, so I'm not sure how good it is.

What makes that even worse is the (supposed) fact that the sequel improved on everything that the first game had. Always thought the concept was very unique, what with glitched low-fi RPGs scratching that itch for the unknown and the creepy. It's also what made that whole "Pokemon Black" story from a few years back so great.

But I digress.

This looks awesome. I've been peeved since Shovel Knight got delayed indefinitely and have been wanting a retro platformer fix, but this looks awesome and even better than Shovel Knight. I love the retro-aesthetic that uses deep colors instead of limiting itself to an NES palette. I've been looking for a tough side-scroller as well and this looks like it fits the bill.

This is the only thing I could find that even remotely resembles your description.

kqFUG64.png

This is what's bothering you?

maxcriden

This is the only thing I could find that even remotely resembles your description.

This is what's bothering you?

Yes, that's it. I think it more than remotely resembles cheesecake art. To me it's reminiscent of typical pin-up art and just not my thing. It's not that it's bothering me, it's just not the kind of thing I like in my games or that I like to support. Feel free to pile on, though. You're entitled to give me a hard time about it, just as I'm entitled to not care for it and to want to know if it's in the actual game. I don't think that's so unreasonable and I don't understand why it irks you to the point that you need to try to call me out about it.

Yes, that's it. I think it more than remotely resembles cheesecake art. To me it's reminiscent of typical pin-up art and just not my thing. It's not that it's bothering me, it's just not the kind of thing I like in my games or that I like to support. Feel free to pile on, though. You're entitled to give me a hard time about it, just as I'm entitled to not care for it and to want to know if it's in the actual game. I don't think that's so unreasonable and I don't understand why it irks you to the point that you need to try to call me out about it.

pile on? im more inclined to find out why you dont support the art style.

looks like something you might see on a character select screen or just in a trailer as a character announcer type thing.

edit: thanks for the OT salsa. had my doubts this would see light of day especially given the other nicalis thread. glad to pick this up on Vita.

Brazil

Living in the shadow of Amaz

Chill out, bro. Jesus.

skynidas

Banned

that's just one character though. even in the trailer they show other girls dressed differently and with other art styles. so i don't know, i don't think one single character should shy you away from the game.

hawk2025

...Jesus, the guy was looking for the picture to answer your question.

She should cover up those exposed pixels so you can play this game.

Foshy

No, it's not just Nicalis, I've seen more than a couple of indie developers talk about how difficult (and costly) the mess of ratings processes for a European release are.

You should direct your rage at PEGI, etc.

I don't remember any other recent PS4 and PSV indies being delayed that much in EU. Towerfall and Cel Damage HD came out one week later, ok, but "summer" without an exact time period when it's launching this week in US is typical Nicalis shit.

Thanks, Dash! :)

It's not the eighth time. I asked about it a couple times in the previous thread, and once here since discussion about the game has moved here now.

This is about the game. Specifically, this is about an aspect of the game that is important to me personally. I don't buy games like DOA that are all about cheesecake type stuff. It's not about being a feminist (although I do personally find art like this to be degrading to women, and it's my right to have this opinion), it's just not my cup of tea. I don't find it mild, and I'm not worried about it "harming me," it's just not my kind of thing.

We get it, you're so good at trying to put me down because we have different viewpoints. Awesome. Now let me ask my question.

Okay, let's say it's in the game. You're not going to buy it? Fair enough. But worst comes to worst you've already seen the art that you dislike. And the company has drawn a character you will most likely never see in any other pose than the one you've already seen. So to me it doesn't matter if it's in the game or not, you've already been as affected by it as you're ever likely to be. So I would hope if you're that staunchly against it, it doesn't matter whether it is in there or not, you shouldn't buy the game.

maxcriden

pile on? im more inclined to find out why you dont support the art style.

looks like something you might see on a character select screen or just in a trailer as a character announcer type thing.

edit: thanks for the OT salsa. had my doubts this would see light of day especially given the other nicalis thread. glad to pick this up on Vita.

It's not my kind of art style. I think it's degrading to women. It's just my opinion.

Chill out, bro. Jesus.

I am chilled out. People are giving me a hard time and I'm defending myself.

that's just one character though. even in the trailer they show other girls dressed differently and with other art styles. so i don't know, i don't think one single character should shy you away from the game.

I thought all of the characters in that trailer otherwise are based on art styles for other games (since those characters are from other games). I just don't generally buy a game with this kind of art style.

...Jesus, the guy was looking for the picture to answer your question.

If that was all he meant to do, then I'm sorry for raising my hackles in response. But it really didn't come off that way to me with the way he worded it.

She should cover up those exposed pixels so you can play this game.

It's obviously not about the character's decision to unzip her blouse but the artist's to have to draw her in such a silly, sexualized way. You've never heard of people being put off by this kind of art?

Okay, let's say it's in the game. You're not going to buy it? Fair enough. But worst comes to worst you've already seen the art that you dislike. And the company has drawn a character you will most likely never see in any other pose than the one you've already seen. So to me it doesn't matter if it's in the game or not, you've already been as affected by it as you're ever likely to be. So I would hope if you're that staunchly against it, it doesn't matter whether it is in there or not, you shouldn't buy the game.

Honestly this is a good question and I've thought about it. But the fact is, it's not really the company drawing that piece, it's the artist. They may have put something in the trailer that they don't feel comfortable or necessary putting in the actual game. Look, I'm only willing to take my stance so far. I play Rayman and the characters in that are often these unnecessarily sexualized fairy characters in bikinis etc. It bothers me but I play it anyway. I watch TV shows and movies that have plenty of content like this. The bottom line is that I didn't say (as far as I remember) that I wasn't going to buy the game. Just that this gives me pause so I'd like to know if it's part of the actual finished product or not. If it's in, and it's supposed to be a great game, I will try to look past it as I have with other games and pieces of pop culture. I just don't want to hold this against the game solely on the basis of one artist's rendering alone, since I imagine that plenty of other artists for games I like might have drawn much worse.

That's my favorite part about the eight posts he made to let everybody know his ideology on it, the trailer had four female characters, three of which were fairly unique without any overt sexuality to them. Yet he called out the one that was simply showing her cleavage, multiple times. He HAD to let everyone know that it offended him. He wouldn't stop until somebody noticed him.

Bingo. Which makes the constant posting about it a bit smelly (unless he was doing it just to have someone validate him, which I guess he finally accomplished).

maxcriden

That's my favorite part about the eight posts he made to let everybody know his ideology on it, the trailer had four female characters, three of which were fairly unique without any overt sexuality to them. Yet he called out the one that was simply showing her cleavage, multiple times. He HAD to let everyone know that it offended him. He wouldn't stop until somebody noticed him.

Bingo. Which makes the constant posting about it a bit smelly (unless he was doing it just to have someone validate him, which I guess he finally accomplished).

Since you couldn't be bothered to reply to me directly when I replied to you before, I don't imagine you'll reply to this, but please do hear me out. I don't want or need to be validated. I don't care what anyone else thinks of this. If I did I wouldn't bother trying to defend my position. It's my own opinion and I'm entitled to it. You might think it's not a legitimate question to ask if this is in the game. I really was not looking for attention and did just want the question answered. (And while there might be eight posts about this by me now, there really weren't originally.) I just don't understand why you feel the need to give me such a hard time about this. I had a question about the game. I wanted an answer. Simple as that. I don't want attention. I just want an answer. And about the other characters in the trailer, as I said above those are based on characters from other properties and this is a character created for this game. That's the difference.

ETA: also, it's not only a question of larger ideology but rather my own personal opinion. I think this kind of thing is just degrading to women and I don't care for it. I'm not saying this to paint myself as a White Knight. It genuinely bothers me. People who say these kinds of things to be perceived a certain way are White Knights. I'm saying this because this is how I actually feel.

So, back to the game. I think it looks great, hoping for a small PS+ discount, but if not, the crossbuy makes it worth it to me to buy it there.

Anyways, anyone notice that in that Tina screenshot, she has over 2000 lives? I'm wondering what the deal is there. The 1001 lives really intrigues me.

Guevara

Forgot all about this. Weird that it's Vita and PS4 but not PS3. Either way, very much looking forward to it.

Dash Kappei

Not actually that important
I don't share Max's views but I don't see why would he need to validate his position and justify himself. Isn't he free to point out his stance on the game like everyone else does and then decide whether he wants to spend HIS cash on it based on the fact he thinks he might/might not enjoy it?
Isn't that enough of a reason?

Top Bottom