• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

1001 Spikes |OT| +1 spike

RM8

Is this on 3DS in NA right now, then? Weird. Anyway, as I've mentioned in other threads, I feel like this is what I wanted La-Mulana to be.

qbicfeet

Welp, I wasn't originally interested in this buy after having some convincing gameplay on Twitch a few days ago it seemed like just like the kind of game for me. It's tough but fair, and I only managed to reach the third world in my first sitting. The game has cool cut-scenes, too.

Super happy about the dollar to euro price conversion on Steam as well. Was expecting it to be 10€ (with the discount) so 6,66€ was a pleasant surprise.

BooJoh

Looking at Miiverse screenshots, this game doesn't appear to be in 3D on 3DS, can anyone confirm?

Also I saw this post from Tyrone on Miiverse:
We'll add off-screen in an update. The game camera needs redesigns because of the game pad resolution

Between these two points, it makes it really hard to commit to either version.

The other thing I'm wondering about: does this game's difficulty feel fair? It looks like there's a lot of completely unexpected traps with no cues to warn you, meaning death and memorization would be the only way to proceed. So when you die, is it usually your own fault, or are there a lot of deaths that are completely unavoidable without prior knowledge of the level?

maxcriden

its a hard but fair platformer, its not trial and error like other hard platformers

This is exactly how I feel. My wife and I played up through 2-2 trading off levels and this game is just smoother than chocolate mousse, it's just terrific. In a lot of ways it's like an NES game lost to the sands of time and found like the very holy grail of the Indiana Jones movies it riffs off of, perhaps laying at the bottom of a pile of ET cartridges, the diamond in a pile of fecal matter. It's a real delight to play and any time you day (which has been a lot for us so far) you can't help but laugh at those damn spikes impaling you, their bloody ends a reminder of previous weary travelers. I'm eager to play more but early impressions leave me, well, very impressed. I hope others are digging it, too. I'm playing on Wii U, BTW.

The other thing I'm wondering about: does this game's difficulty feel fair? It looks like there's a lot of completely unexpected traps with no cues to warn you, meaning death and memorization would be the only way to proceed. So when you die, is it usually your own fault, or are there a lot of deaths that are completely unavoidable without prior knowledge of the level?

It's extremely fair. Death and memorization are absolutely not key to moving forward in the levels for the most part so far. There are several visual clues to help you carefully anticipate each obstacle. It's pretty awesome.

Berg

It doesn't appear to have 3D from those screens, but then it's listed as a 3D game :/
The poster needs to have 3D turned on when they take the screenshot for it to show in miiverse. You may need to check a couple screenshots before you see one with 3D turned on

BooJoh

The poster needs to have 3D turned on when they take the screenshot for it to show in miiverse. You may need to check a couple screenshots before you see one with 3D turned on

I finally found one with 3D on. Looks pretty nice.

Murrah

Banned
Can't decide whether to get this on 3DS or Wii U. Guess I'll wait for Nintendolife review to see what they say about that and just keep playing Mario kart in the meantime

Sojiro

Ah good deal about the off tv play. This is definitely a game I would play on just the gamepad quite a bit. Really loving the game, hit stage 3-something before going back to Mario kart. The music and challenge are excellent, and while it is tough, I don't feel cheated when I die.

My immediate reaction: 2D in 3D is the new hotness. Every developer working on a pixel art game needs to consider 3DS. There's something about that looks so good.

So having played the original game, I'm so far liking the Ninja Gaiden-esque cutscenes and the skulls. I also like the that skulls give you a 1up, considering the main game is already slightly insane at times, a little +1 while trying to attempt an EXTRA challenge on top of that will help a lot.

The victory song (at least in the intro stage) is WAAAY louder than the other music. Hopefully this is something that will be addressed in that "week one" patch dropping soon. Also, some of the graphics wobble a little occasionally (my 3D slider is about midway).

Can't decide whether to get this on 3DS or Wii U. Guess I'll wait for Nintendolife review to see what they say about that and just keep playing Mario kart in the meantime
Of the two, I say go with 3DS for the 2D in 3D sex. If you have friends for local though, Wii U might be the way to go.

Forgot about that Deluxe promo, just got the game for a penny!
Wha? What did I miss?

Just bought on PS4, looking forward to trying it out! I loved Spelunky, hoping my skills in that game transfer over.
Two crazy different games, yo.

What does this game do to justify a $14 price increase?
I can already see a lot new in just a quick session.

I don't remember how much I paid for it on XBLIG, I don't think it was $1 at the time, but there was also a strange "race to the bottom" mentality there. Even the XBLIG version was worth a five or ten spot, in my opinion.

On Wii U, the price for this game is currently $10.01

1,001 Spikes

Clever.
Ooh, is it? I might double dip for future multi if that's a promo.

I thought the discount was a loyalty discount on 3DS.

But yes, being $10.01 was cute.

debating wether I get this on Steam or 3DS

probably gonna go Steam for the lack of multiplayer I guess. Shame.
Game looks delish in 3D and feels wonderful on portable.

Get it on 3DS now and on Steam during a summer sale or a bundle.

its a hard but fair platformer, its not trial and error like other hard platformers
It's the only game with the "surprise traps" gimmick that I felt worked well.

None that I can find yet. BTW, count me in as one more who was able to get the game for $10.01 without making any other Nicalis purchases (yet!).
After all the huffing and puffing and "outrage" and accusations that it was degrading to women, you bought it and supported its creators.

Bravo sir, you're a man of strong conviction.

$15 huh?

Is this game more challenging than Spelunky?

I have yet to finish Spelunky. I get as far as the last floor in the Temple. But I do have a general idea of what I need to do.
They're different games outside of some surface similarities.

A lot of the challenge in Spelunky comes from some clumsy design and its randomization (my personal opinion, which I am usually derided for). The challenge in 1000 Spikes comes from its level design and precision platforming. It's hard, but fair, as they say. It can be brutal at times (late levels in the original game were wild), but you can always feel and see the solution.

Just bought this on 3DS. Pretty fun, nothing crazy, should be a good time killer.
You'll eat those words, haha.

GulAtiCa

This game is awesome so far! Loving it on the Wii U currently. I love the music above all.

Ss2.jpeg

Camjo-Z

It's extremely fair. Death and memorization are absolutely not key to moving forward in the levels for the most part so far. There are several visual clues to help you carefully anticipate each obstacle. It's pretty awesome.

Not sure we're playing the same game here. Memorization is definitely a huge part of it, Syobon Action is probably the best comparison I could make. I'm still finding the game to be fun, but I'd say the first 3-4 deaths in any level have been cheap ones that I didn't see coming.

For example, I can't remember which one it is, but there's an early level where you have to press a switch at the start, which instantly drops blocks down on you. Unless you already know to immediately move left, you will probably die at this point. After this you must make a speedy jump across a huge gap, where more blocks will fall. You will probably attempt to stand in the gap between them as you did with the first set of blocks, but nope - spikes come up and kill you. You actually had to jump up onto one of the blocks!

It's trial and error. You repeatedly die but get a little further each time.

Nairume

Banned
Super lame that off-tv play isn't already there for the WiiU version, but it's cool that the game is already discounted.

$10.01 :)V) is right at that impulse buy sweet spot.

BooJoh

I'm enjoying it so far, but I've only just finished 1-5. Playing on 3DS. The 3D looks great, but everything shimmers when it scrolls, even with 3D off. If the shimmering isn't present on Wii U then it might be worth getting that version instead just for a cleaner-looking experience.

Salsa

$10.01 is "cute" except for the fact that I can only buy eShop credit in cards and that really screws me over

yay having 7.98 left when games are 7.99

:|

I've been playing a bunch of this, loving it(and cursing it at times!) One thing I want to point out as a cool addition, is that some of the extra characters actually have their own cutscenes and storyline just like Aban. Commander Video doesn't, but I unlocked a samurai that had his own opening cutscene, which I think is a real nice touch. Edit: Actually, C. Video does have story cutscenes too, just not the opening.

I don't know if you unlock these in order, or due to the amount of skulls/coins you collect. You have to replay through the levels with each of them, you can't just pick one with a double jump to cheese through a level, which actually is a plus for me.

Anyways, I'm stuck on 4-3 "Dangerous Exit"....yes I can get to the exit regularly...and yes, it is dangerous.

NIN90

Is it normal that I get generic direct input button prompts (BTN 3 etc.) when I have a 360 controller connected? Are there no 360 button prompts?

BooJoh

I've been playing this off and on all night, I'm enjoying it a lot more than I expected. The videos make it look like it's all about trial and error and memorization, but really it's not. There are very few places where there isn't some sort of visual or audio indication of where traps are.

There's also the Arcade modes to play around with. I've unlocked both but only played the first so far. It's fun and a lot more forgiving than the main game mode for more casual gaming sessions.

I did notice that at some point my lives jumped up over 1000 when I had definitely lost quite a few already. Are you awarded lives upon completion of each world or something?

I'm also not sure what coins are for as they seem to persist through multiple Arcade mode sessions and even carry over into Story mode.

Super lame that off-tv play isn't already there for the WiiU version, but it's cool that the game is already discounted.

$10.01 :)V) is right at that impulse buy sweet spot.

Best version according to tyrone....you can play two player one on tv the other on gamepad.

Anyone have any errors when playing on the 3ds/2ds? I just turned on my 2ds, loaded up the game and an error occurred. The game doesn't start now.

Going to delete/download again to see if things go back to normal. I know the game was posted up with bugs still intact, right? This is probably one of them.

Really wanted to play on my train ride to work, lol.

BooJoh

I was just playing around in the second Arcade mode and realized the 3 default alternate characters are all homages to other games. Not just in looks, but their abilities and the music that plays are throwbacks to their respective games too.
Mr Video Game
was obviously
Mario
, but when I heard the music I was taken aback at how great the remix was. I also realized
he can jump on enemies
. Likewise,
Slayer Aban
has the attacks and music style of
Castlevania
, and
Knight Aban
and his music are styled after
Arthur from Ghosts 'n' Goblins, complete with losing his armor (which lets you take an extra hit.)

This game just keeps getting better and I'm really tempted to double dip so I can play on the big screen as well.

Anyone have any errors when playing on the 3ds/2ds? I just turned on my 2ds, loaded up the game and an error occurred. The game doesn't start now.

Going to delete/download again to see if things go back to normal. I know the game was posted up with bugs still intact, right? This is probably one of them.

Really wanted to play on my train ride to work, lol.
I've been playing on 3DS and haven't had any errors yet. But on account of your troubles I just backed up my save just in case.

The game is amazing.

But 4-3. I can get all the way to the end easily enough, but I can't get through the door before the spikes get me. What is the trick to it?

takoyaki

Is anybody else having problems with the download of the PS4 version? I bought the game on the PSN webstore yesterday and downloaded it on my Vita. Today, I tried to do the same on my PS4, but every time I hit the Download button, I just get the error message "cannot download" and a X symbol on the download bar. It's not the Internet Connection/Router, I was able to download Pixeljunk Shooter just fine at the same time.

edit: OK, I fixed the problem. Changing the DNS worked, no idea why the error happened for 1001 Spikes and not Pixeljunk Shooter.

maxcriden

After all the huffing and puffing and "outrage" and accusations that it was degrading to women, you bought it and supported its creators.

Bravo sir, you're a man of strong conviction.

Man, you really will not give it a rest, huh? As I said several times before, my issue was with that one piece of artwork and not the game. No need to put facetious quotation marks around outrage. It wasn't outrage, just literally not wanting that in the game. And, it's not in the game. And, I do find that kind of art degrading to women. I don't know how many times I have to tell you you're entitled to your opinion just as I am to mine. Once again: I have been interested in the game for a long time. I never said I wasn't going to buy it. Feel free to refer to all of my previous posts explaining my position.

Not sure we're playing the same game here. Memorization is definitely a huge part of it, Syobon Action is probably the best comparison I could make. I'm still finding the game to be fun, but I'd say the first 3-4 deaths in any level have been cheap ones that I didn't see coming.

For example, I can't remember which one it is, but there's an early level where you have to press a switch at the start, which instantly drops blocks down on you. Unless you already know to immediately move left, you will probably die at this point. After this you must make a speedy jump across a huge gap, where more blocks will fall. You will probably attempt to stand in the gap between them as you did with the first set of blocks, but nope - spikes come up and kill you. You actually had to jump up onto one of the blocks!

It's trial and error. You repeatedly die but get a little further each time.

Huh, I have really had a totally different experience so far, but admittedly I haven't gotten terribly far into the game yet, just at the beginning of the second world. Any impending spikes or traps we've encountered so far seemed to be indicated by certain shapes and patterns on blocks, although come to think of it there was at least one instance of an unavoidable falling block it would've been pretty tricky to see coming. Anyway, even though our experiences have been a bit different (and it does sound like you've seen more of the game than I have and would thus be more qualified to talk about it!), I'm glad you're still enjoying the game.

Varg

Banned
Watched a twitch stream of this last night in bed. It looks do fun. Anyone on the fence just check out the various streams. Will be picking It up this weekend.

maxcriden

I'm enjoying it so far, but I've only just finished 1-5. Playing on 3DS. The 3D looks great, but everything shimmers when it scrolls, even with 3D off. If the shimmering isn't present on Wii U then it might be worth getting that version instead just for a cleaner-looking experience.

I haven't noticed any shimmering playing on Wii U, so that might be a plus for you.

Yuterald

Picked it up on PS4. Played until 2-5, I believe in Store Mode. Unlocked the Tower side game and finished/ran that as well. Cool stuff. Am I under the impression that the main game is just 30 stages? Looks like you have to run all stages with all characters to collect/unlock everything too. Hmm...

batbeg

So yesterday I couldn't download this because I had to wait 24 hours to get my Nintendo DDP voucher for getting Wind Waker HD. Today I can't download it because the Nintendo DDP website is down? God dammit.

maxcriden

So yesterday I couldn't download this because I had to wait 24 hours to get my Nintendo DDP voucher for getting Wind Waker HD. Today I can't download it because the Nintendo DDP website is down? God dammit.

It's up for me, just checked. Try giving it another shot, maybe clear your cache/cookies?

BooJoh

I double dipped and got the Wii U version as well.

Here are the differences I've noticed:

3DS has:
-3D visuals
-No multiplayer as far as I can tell
-No Golden Vase mode
-Slight shimmer in horizontal scrolling areas
-Dart shooters and the large slowly falling floors are slightly lighter onscreen than their harmless counterparts. This makes the game overall a bit easier and more fair IMO.

batbeg

It's up for me, just checked. Try giving it another shot, maybe clear your cache/cookies?

It finally came back up. The new speeds of the Wii U are fantastic. I turned on my Wii U at 859, by 901 I was entering the voucher number and downloading the game, done downloading at 903, and installed at 904. Wonderful turnaround from the beginning, bravo Nintendo.

Edit: since the game has no off tv play yet I'm going to wait until I visit some friends before trying it, but I'm really excited now :D

maxcriden

It finally came back up. The new speeds of the Wii U are fantastic. I turned on my Wii U at 859, by 901 I was entering the voucher number and downloading the game, done downloading at 903, and installed at 904. Wonderful turnaround from the beginning, bravo Nintendo.

Edit: since the game has no off tv play yet I'm going to wait until I visit some friends before trying it, but I'm really excited now :D

That's awesome. I haven't gotten to exercise the Quick Start Menu much yet but that's nice and fast. Anyway, the game is really legit. I'm looking forward to playing more.

sörine

Banned
I was going to double dip on 3DS and Wii U but no off-tv made this 3DS only for me. It's ridiculous for a game that was announced as a launch window release and the "too much work" excuse is pathetic and insulting given all the other platforms (Steam, PS4, One, Vita) Nicalis has added during the lengthy delay. Total amateur hour at Nicalis.

I hope The 90s Arcade Racer is given better treatment.

Top Bottom