• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

1001 Spikes |OT| +1 spike

Yaboosh

Super Sleuth
This game is really addictive. I find great delight in finding out just how fucked up each level is. The ending of 4-3 made me look up how you are supposed to get past it though.

i finally got to stage spoilers?
. taking a little breather. this game is so fun but it can stress me out. i still reside at above x1001 lives but i imagine this last bit will take many away.

i am bummed out to find collecting coins in the story mode is only good for one side character, i thought each side character could get more coins on their own runs, but once you collect them all with one, they disappear where the skull/coins usually are. so i guess i have to grind the tower and lost levels to get everything from the shop... minus thompsoncare, i'm not wasting all that time just for infinite lives when i already have plenty, could get more with other characters or could just buy more if i ever somehow needed them. i'm gonna complete this game best i can and pretend it doesn't exist.

ArjanN

i finally got to stage spoilers?
. taking a little breather. this game is so fun but it can stress me out. i still reside at above x1001 lives but i imagine this last bit will take many away.

i am bummed out to find collecting coins in the story mode is only good for one side character, i thought each side character could get more coins on their own runs, but once you collect them all with one, they disappear where the skull/coins usually are. so i guess i have to grind the tower and lost levels to get everything from the shop... minus thompsoncare, i'm not wasting all that time just for infinite lives when i already have plenty, could get more with other characters or could just buy more if i ever somehow needed them. i'm gonna complete this game best i can and pretend it doesn't exist.

Outside of Thompsoncare you can get almost everything from the shop pretty easily.

Just getting the coins in story mode and beating the lost levels and tower of hannar once should get you almost everything in the shop already, outside of Thompsoncare.

And you're right in that by the time you get Thompsoncare you'd have absolutely no need for it anymore.

If you want to be cheap about it, your save file is just a text file that has a "number of coins =" line in it. :p

finally beat the whole game, and above 1001 lives too. beat the final
final
boss on my second try, mostly because i found an easy way to cheeze it. won't get you a great time, but it's solid.

anways if i never go back to
Antarctica
it'll be too soon.
10-4
about made me take a long break. but i powered through.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HOzx7LtsJ5Y
^the bane of my existence.

now i'm just gonna get some coin to buy everything in the shop and call it a game, maybe come back after a break to work on my speedrunning of ukampa.

also, i must say.
jim hawkins
plays awesome, holy shit. his weapon and high jump are amazing.

i think this game is great, i love it. the style is done perfect and the music is exciting. people who enjoy a challenge and have a strong patience should all give it a good go.

JP

Has anybody seen any recent info on when the PS4 version is getting a release in the UK yet? Iy's east enough to buy it on my USA account but I'd much rather keep everything on a single (UK) account if I can.

Has anybody seen any recent info on when the PS4 version is getting a release in the UK yet? Iy's east enough to buy it on my USA account but I'd much rather keep everything on a single (UK) account if I can.

Its been rated for all platforms by PEGI in the last week or so (actually a little longer, was rated on 23rd July), hopefully it'll be released soon

ElTopo

Banned
Hope no one minds if I bump this. It's not too old I think. I finally beat the game, got the real final boss and unlocked a few characters. Took me about 2-3 weeks of on and off playing to beat it. And here are my thoughts in brief:

As someone who played the shit out Super Meat Boy, is very much a retro gamer (love the 8 and 16 bit eras), and has dabbled in the brutally hard indie platformer/rom-hack sub-genre I don't know where to rank in this game in the grand pantheon of things.

Pros:

Superb NES-style graphics. Looks just like a NES game from 88-89.
Great controls. Not sure if it needed two jump buttons, it works but it adds to the trial and error process.
Great music and sound.
A ton of content.

Cons:

Unable to skip the levels. This is the big one for me. Technically you're allowed to skip, but if you don't finish every single level you're not allowed to fight a boss or get even a remotely satisfying ending. Super Meat Boy allowed you to skip levels and struck a balance in offering both a casual and hardcore experience.

Two jump buttons. They work fine but with the amount of memorization and some really hard jumps to make, it forces you through trial and error to figure out which jump to use when.

Brutally hard, long, complex levels. The 1st world is okay, there's some levels that are more annoying than others but for the most part the game is still fun. The 2nd world is when shit gets real (yo). This is when the casual player just stops playing. This is when the game throws a lot of new gimmicks at you including ice platforms and if you screw up in the slightest you have to restart. The Antarctica levels are long as well. There's many times where you've figured out the 1st half of a map then a new gimmick is thrown your way or your forced to figure something out quickly and will probably lose a life.

The real end boss is crap too. Just saying. Just an annoying boss tied to (mostly) randomness.

That is probably the most bullshit level. I think everyone killed that penguin at the halfway point and thought "Okay, I got him, this is easy now... Oh wait. I think I'm suck... Fuck." And at the 1:05 mark, I did not aggro those penguins, I instead did a regular jump over one of those spikes -and this is a jump that you can just barely make- and went down to the left, hit the switch and made it to the exit.

Overall I'd say this is middle of the road. You start having fun with it at first and then you get to Antarctica or some other really annoying level and it pisses you off so much that you just want to take a break from it. I don't think that's a positive thing if a game pisses you off to the point where it's not fun to re-play.

Edit: I tried Tower Mode. Holy shit! This is what the game should have been. And even though I beat it in about 15-20 minutes I had a ton of fun with it. This should have been a stand alone game.

Just finished the story mode on Wii U, it took me about 12 hours. Four of those hours were literally on one level though, 10-4. The game was extremely frustrating at times due to it's trial and error nature, though I also found it VERY addicting. I'd say it's about on par with Super Meat Boy in difficulty. The music is great, and I did like a lot of the level designs even though there was some bullshit in them. The story seemed really pointless, but whatever. Definitely worth the $15 for the amount of content you get. Are any of the other modes worth checking out?

Edit: I see others had problems with 10-4 as well. Most the level is actually very easy, but that one bullshit jump to make it on top of the icecube I could only make once out of 30-40 times. It was frustrating beyond belief.

@MUWANdo

Banned
Bumping this thread to let people know Nicalis finally patched the Wii U version with off-tv play.

Surprise: the patch also remapped/broke a lot of button inputs for no reason, including d-pad right! What the fuck? How could anyone manage to break walking to the right in a fucking platformer and not even notice? Oh, wait...

I got this on 3DS the other day. It's fun but it is damn hard. It's just full of traps. I'm at 4-4 and I want to at least beat the main continent, but this stage is very tricky!

Top Bottom