• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

1001 Spikes |OT| +1 spike

Volcynika

I beat the game! Hooray!
Last boss was kind of an asshole though. I kept getting close then a falling set of spikes would hit me :|

Spade

Congrats!
I had that happen to me a few times. I had a bigger problem with accidentally hitting the ruby (that's what I'm calling it) when it was coming down...

Q

qizah

Unconfirmed Member
Is there any difference between the PS4/Vita/3DS/WiiU versions or are they all the same? I own all four platforms but I wanted to know if any of them have anything platform specific or not...?

Spade

While I know that PSN has cross-buy, I'm not sure about the eShop. Also, the eShop version is $10.01 whereas on PSN it's $15.

The handheld versions don't have multiplayer. The Vita, PS4, and Wii U versions don't have the block visuals that the 3DS have (pic on previous page).

MMaRsu

From the developer:

@MATT81DE We should have more news after e3, but we still are trying for this summer.

I can't wait!, may have to get from the US store

What the fuck man. I want to play this game so bad. Wtf is the reason for the delay? I'd really love to play this...Fkn Soony.

Can I borrow someones PSN account to buy this and transfer 15 dollars through paypal? I REALLY want this :( :( :(.

I figured it might be fun to run through the game again with a new character before I jump into the new levels.

3BWts5H.jpg

And seeing this in the game made me the happiest boy in the world.

I'm trying to download this game, but the eshop won't let me! I keep getting error code 010-2500 wen trying to get to the download screen. Ugh, if only this were available in retail.digital downloading is so unreliable

maxcriden

I figured it might be fun to run through the game again with a new character before I jump into the new levels.

3BWts5H.jpg

And seeing this in the game made me the happiest boy in the world.

I'm happy for you. You never replied to my PM trying to take this out of the thread. Feel free to continue to give me a hard time in here instead, though.

P.S. I don't like the artstyle for the character. People have different opinions. Let it go.

I'm happy for you. You never replied to my PM trying to take this out of the thread. Feel free to continue to give me a hard time in here instead, though.

P.S. I don't like the artstyle for the character. People have different opinions. Let it go.

Uh oh, guess you won't buy the game now, huh?

I beat the game! Hooray!
Last boss was kind of an asshole though. I kept getting close then a falling set of spikes would hit me :|

Great stuff! (Belated tip for very last level)
If you take out the head first you can stand on it and nothing can touch you. Then just need to time the gems at your leisure.

VanWinkle

I honestly have to ask, and not out of hostility: why are you still in this thread? He didn't mention your name in the post, so it wasn't that, and you made it clear even in the first page that you weren't getting the game.

Edit: wait, didn't see where you did buy it. My mistake. Maybe I was thinking of a different thread or something.

maxcriden

I honestly have to ask, and not out of hostility: why are you still in this thread? He didn't mention your name in the post, so it wasn't that, and you made it clear even in the first page that you weren't getting the game.

Edit: wait, didn't see where you did by it. My mistake.

I am in the thread at this point solely to discuss the game, hopefully not to rehash any prior disagreements about the art style for one character in the game. I play games and watch movies and TV shows that often have aspects of them that I don't care for, but I am not so naive as to think these products are going to be tailored to my whims. So I feel like it would be unreasonable of me to not buy the game, or watch any certain movie or TV show etc., solely on the basis of not caring for that one minor aspect. That doesn't mean I can't say something about that minor issue I have and still enjoy the game on its own merits, I don't think the two are mutually exclusive. I know some people have had an issue with my posts in this thread and I respect that. I remember from the Rayman Legends thread that you played that game as well. If I was more actively posting when that game came out, I would have probably commented on the art style of the fairies in that game too. That doesn't mean I didn't enjoy Rayman, just that this one issue bothered me and seemed unnecessary to me. At this point I would really be glad to just be able to discuss the game in this thread with the rest of you without being given a hard time (and I understand you were not giving me one, just asking me about this, and I do appreciate that.) If anyone wants to discuss this further I'm happy to but I really am here to discuss the game at this point, if I am still welcome in the thread.

d0c_zaius

uh so anyway I'm on 5-1 now. level 4 was hell, especially 4-3. if I beat this game I will feel like I fought a shark with my fists and lived.

Wow. That wasn't about you or your crusade against women or the female anatomy or whatever it is that upsets you so much.

And please stop private messaging me, your needy narcissism is starting to creep me out. I am only replying here to clearly state that I will not be addressing you in this thread again and any further PMs will be deleted without being read.

You seem to have good tastes in games though (you pop up in many of the threads I read), so if I see you in another thread and you're not waving your social justice flag at something, I will be happy to engage you elsewhere on the forum about games and just games.

ANYWAY.

I beat Story Mode with Tina very quickly today. Her ledge grab is REALLY useful and you can find some great shortcuts and ways around otherwise deadly sequences. It's still very hard, of course, just not as hard as with Aban.

So it seems like all of (or most of) the characters have their own intros and endings, which is pretty great, but I can't imagine playing through the entire first quest ten plus times (only Aban can get into second quest, it seems). I might go with another character or two at some point eventually, but I had to call that out as that really shows the amount of work that went into this remake.

Tower of Druaga mode is neat and has BANGING music. I might double dip down the line because that looks like it could be a GREAT multi-player mode.

Tyrone, if you're still peeking in this thread, we need a sound test to go with the cinema mode.

VanWinkle

I am in the thread at this point solely to discuss the game, hopefully not to rehash any prior disagreements about the art style for one character in the game. I play games and watch movies and TV shows that often have aspects of them that I don't care for, but I am not so naive as to think these products are going to be tailored to my whims. So I feel like it would be unreasonable of me to not buy the game, or watch any certain movie or TV show etc., solely on the basis of not caring for that one minor aspect. That doesn't mean I can't say something about that minor issue I have and still enjoy the game on its own merits, I don't think the two are mutually exclusive. I know some people have had an issue with my posts in this thread and I respect that. I remember from the Rayman Legends thread that you played that game as well. If I was more actively posting when that game came out, I would have probably commented on the art style of the fairies in that game too. That doesn't mean I didn't enjoy Rayman, just that this one issue bothered me and seemed unnecessary to me. At this point I would really be glad to just be able to discuss the game in this thread with the rest of you without being given a hard time (and I understand you were not giving me one, just asking me about this, and I do appreciate that.) If anyone wants to discuss this further I'm happy to but I really am here to discuss the game at this point, if I am still welcome in the thread.

Right, understandable.

re: musicbox, it'll be incoming with a BIG (and free) update after the summer.

ANYWAY.

I beat Story Mode with Tina very quickly today. Her ledge grab is REALLY useful and you can find some great shortcuts and ways around otherwise deadly sequences. It's still very hard, of course, just not as hard as with Aban.

So it seems like all of (or most of) the characters have their own intros and endings, which is pretty great, but I can't imagine playing through the entire first quest ten plus times (only Aban can get into second quest, it seems). I might go with another character or two at some point eventually, but I had to call that out as that really shows the amount of work that went into this remake.

Tower of Druaga mode is neat and has BANGING music. I might double dip down the line because that looks like it could be a GREAT multi-player mode.

Tyrone, if you're still peeking in this thread, we need a sound test to go with the cinema mode.

uh so anyway I'm on 5-1 now. level 4 was hell, especially 4-3. if I beat this game I will feel like I fought a shark with my fists and lived.
Good news, World Four is probably the hardest one in the first set.

Or, it certainly seems like that's where most people drop their most lives, etc.

How is this game not even in the top 100 sellers on steam? Seems to have a lot of buzz.
Probably because Steam releases a hundred games a week now so lots of stuff gets lost in the mix.

re: musicbox, it'll be incoming with a BIG (and free) update after the summer.
Amazing. <3

So here's a fun fact.

On the original XBLIG release, stage 4-3 (there called 3-3, since the tutorial world didn't exist) had a bug that caused you to die on one of the moving platforms (probably one of the ones up top, if I recall) regardless of what you did. With how hard that level already was, it was maddening to keep dying while thinking you were doing the correct thing.

It was patched pretty quickly, but with how notorious that level is getting now, I thought I would share that tidbit.

Just imagine.

dallow_bg

nods at old men
I saw Duckroll retweet some semi-racist Asian dialogue that appears in a cutscene, is there much of that in the game?

Turned me off a bit.

InfiniteNine

Rolling Girl
Does co-op work online? Thinking about getting this for my girlfriend and I to go through together and the info in the OT and Steam page isn't too clear.

I saw Duckroll retweet some semi-racist Asian dialogue that appears in a cutscene, is there much of that in the game?

Turned me off a bit.
I saw the screenshot.

The game is made by a Japanese fellow and there is a lot of purposefully badly translated text in the game mimicking when a lot of NES games came over translated in-house at Japanese studios which including a lot of crossed over Rs and Ls. It's just something that happens a lot based on the how Japanese language uses the R and L sounds together.

Not everything needs to be politicized. :-\

yJZIQ7c.jpg

Does co-op work online? Thinking about getting this for my girlfriend and I to go through together and the info in the OT and Steam page isn't too clear.
It is local only.

RevenantKioku

PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS oh god i am drowning in them
I saw the screenshot.

The game is made by a Japanese fellow and there is a lot of purposefully badly translated text in the game mimicking when a lot of NES games came over translated in-house at Japanese studios which including a lot of crossed over Rs and Ls. It's just something that happens a lot based on the how Japanese language uses the R and L sounds together.

It's lazy, though.

Not that it would be okay if it was a joke, but as is it just makes me kind of go "Ew". If it made me laugh and go "Oh shit, that really is not funny. That's racist!" at least there would be some internal conflict about what is okay and what isn't.

I know localization is hard. I do it freelance. They could have done a lot better, though.

MMaRsu

It's lazy, though.

Not that it would be okay if it was a joke, but as is it just makes me kind of go "Ew". If it made me laugh and go "Oh shit, that really is not funny. That's racist!" at least there would be some internal conflict about what is okay and what isn't.

I know localization is hard. I do it freelance. They could have done a lot better, though.

I think the screenshot posted above is pretty funny actually.

Also cute.

RevenantKioku

PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS oh god i am drowning in them
I think the screenshot posted above is pretty funny actually.

Also cute.
Well, it'll do different things for different people, sure. I just think as is it risks doing harm more than anything else.

I saw the screenshot.

yJZIQ7c.jpg

It is local only.

Jesus. I dont' even consider that racist when written by someone not Asian. People need to lighten up a little and learn to enjoy a laugh.

Well, it'll do different things for different people, sure. I just think as is it risks doing harm more than anything else.

How is it lazy? He just said it was intentional.

dallow_bg

nods at old men
Jesus. I dont' even consider that racist when written by someone not Asian. People need to lighten up a little and learn to enjoy a laugh.

That one is kinda cute.
This one less so.

pic.twitter.com/no1xE8ngMd

Yeah, this is where I stand on the issue.
I have no issue with someone using stereotypes if the intent is not supposed to be harmful.
Something like "Herro" is not like throwing a racial slur around.

However, I will just say that it IS a lame joke. I don't find it funny or original in the least.
And the fact that it is an obvious landmine without really adding anything to the characters or game makes it seem like a silly decision to keep it in game.

RevenantKioku

It's not funny. It's just shitty and boring.

Do you even know the definition of the words you are using?

RevenantKioku

So what you're saying is that people have different opinions. That's really quite shocking, to be honest.
Right. Unfortunately not everyone is going to hold themselves up to the standards of high quality work. NICALiS did not and they will suffer for it.

ArjanN

Right. Unfortunately not everyone is going to hold themselves up to the standards of high quality work. NICALiS did not and they will suffer for it.

Would you say NICALiS just shot themselves in the foot?

Anyway, just unlocked Antartica and I'm loving the game so far.

batbeg

I've died a hundred and sixty fucking eight times on 4-3. I refuse to skip the stage but the desire grows with every death now. I'm going to play one of the arcade modes and come back to attack that bad boy one more time for the day.

KarmaCow

I've died a hundred and sixty fucking eight times on 4-3. I refuse to skip the stage but the desire grows with every death now. I'm going to play one of the arcade modes and come back to attack that bad boy one more time for the day.

Glad I'm not alone in thinking 4-3 feels like a massive difficulty spike.
4-4 and 4-5 are almost as infuriating.

archagon

Neo Member
Finally beat 4-4 (skipped it originally) and then the 6th world. Haven't noticed anyone else mention the secret character you get when you beat it.....
Jonathan Blow! He's called El Testigo, which I don't get, but the Braid music plays in his stages, and he uses a laptop to send programmer code at enemies. Awesome. He also dies like the guy in Braid, falling in an arc to the bottom of the screen....no rewinding time though!

El Testigo == The Witness, the game Jonathan Blow is currently working on. And the achievement name for unlocking him is Number None, the name of his company.

I am REAAAAALLY not liking the Antartica levels so far (at 9-1, so about halfway through).

They seem to be more designed after "troll" games like Eryi's Action and such.

Top Bottom