• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

1001 Spikes |OT| +1 spike

So it seems like every version (or at least by platform holder) has a unique Aban costume in the Duty Free shop.

3DS (and Wii?) has Mario.

Xbox One and PC have Master Chief.

Anybody know what the PlayStation versions have?

Pikma

Banned
So huh the WiiU version has a game breaking bug, was that known? It's impossible to beat 1-6 using the Commander Video, the game crashes when you get to the level's exit.

WTF is this kind of shit? Didn't they test it before releasing it? even worse, didn't Nintendo have to test it before approving it's release? What the fuck nicalis?

Edit: so they knew before releasing it? Fuck this shit they shouldn't have released it then, this is ridiculous.

Yay, I beat Antarctica.

Antarctica unlocked for all characters.

NOPE. Nope, nope, nope, nope, nope, nope. Never. Bye. Invalid page fault.

And yeah, the final boss had some questionably crappy design choices.

Hmm, ending might be glitched on the 3DS version, no music either. Gee.

Yay, I beat Antarctica.

Antarctica unlocked for all characters.

NOPE. Nope, nope, nope, nope, nope, nope. Never. Bye. Invalid page fault.

And yeah, the final boss had some questionably crappy design choices.

Hmm, ending might be glitched on the 3DS version, no music either. Gee.
There's no ending music in the Vita's version of the game neither. Shame, because I freakin' love the cutscenes in this game.

Anyway, at
6-4, when you got to collect the jewels that pop out of those weird statue thingamajigs to get some points...
what's the point of that? Does it even affect the game somehow?

Yuterald

I haven't finished this game yet, but I'm playing on PS4. I wonder if there are any game breaking bugs or other glitches. Man, what is up with all of these digital/indie games as of late with bugs and bullshit. Between Child of Light (which has yet to have been patched, as far as I known), Dead Nation on PS4 (I think this has been patched...) and now this game? I like never feel like booting up any of this shit, ha!

Alrighty then! Just got all trophies and now, I plan to grind The Lost Levels and eventually reach millionaire status so I can afford that Thompsoncare item in the shop.

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
I jus discovered that square and circle throw knives in different directions. I've been playing this game for like two hours now. That's insane! This game is incredible!

I jus discovered that square and circle throw knives in different directions. I've been playing this game for like two hours now. That's insane! This game is incredible!

I actually think that is a bug introduced in the most recent patch. You might find some strange controller things happening, if so make sure to go into controls and remap to defaults.

Also remember you can duck by pressing down! There is exactly one level where this is used.

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
Ha, thats great.
I was switching off rapidly while watching my character toss back and forth thinking to myself how clever it was.

Nachos

Hey Tyrone, I've got some glitches in the 3ds version. So far, all of them have been when I've been playing as the extra characters, but two were when I was trying to exit to the world map after completing a level. In those cases, nothing would load afterwards, and I was forced to close the software. Luckily it happened right after the auto-save, so I didn't lose anything. However, I just had another glitch where I was playing as Juni and tried going through the door in 1-6 with the gold coin.

The system completely freezes, and I can't even press the home button. I had to hold down the power button and turn the system back on. I checked one more time, and the exact same thing happened, except when I looked at the map, I could go to the next stage but didn't have the coin. Hopefully this can be patched.

Those slight bummers aside, though, I've been having a blast, and I'll just try to play around them for the moment. 4-3 was killer.

Is 4-3 the level with spikes at the exit? That one was a bitch. I think I had 140 deaths, but I made sure to get the skull too so I wouldn't have to re-play it again

Nachos

Is 4-3 the level with spikes at the exit? That one was a bitch. I think I had 140 deaths, but I made sure to get the skull too so I wouldn't have to re-play it again

That's the one, though, funnily enough, I got through the spikes on my first try. My biggest killers in that level were being a few pixels too close to the spikes or blocks at the beginning and syncing the lava platform in time with the crusher blocks. I died way too many times just by running out of room on the board before I could make my jump. Thank goodness the skull was right at the beginning for the 1-up, or else my life count would be puny by now.

4-4 gave me some issues with timing my knives to deflect the darts, but I was so glad 4-5 was such a breather by comparison.

Was having major problems on 4-3, but I was able to run it in under 35 seconds now. Bet I could even get it to 30, im just noticing that the flames shut off and the one near the door is never set off! Level is really fun once you learn the patterns!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R23SamrCe28

I died 213 times before I finally defeated 5-4. Took me a while to learn the saw blade patterns, but the hardest part was getting past the jumping pillars. ugh, I was crushed so many times

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
I'm on 2-2.
This is game is absurd in its authenticity. I've been ramming my head against it for 20 minutes right when I get home from work the last couple days and its been a pretty good decompresser.

Theres just no margin for error. It can be infuriating. Game feels great on the DS4 Dpad.

Oh, I was really pissed the game seems to be locked at 60fps.. I would really like to play it with the lightboost flicker mode at 120fps.

So my 3ds freezes every time I go through the exit door in 1-5 with
curly brace
. Ugh this shit is frustrating. I don't have faith in nicalis releasing a patch soon. They are the EA of the indie world

Nachos

So my 3ds freezes every time I go through the exit door in 1-5 with
curly brace
. Ugh this shit is frustrating. I don't have faith in nicalis releasing a patch soon. They are the EA of the indie world
Yup, that glitch seems to exist for every extra character, so I don't know why it affects them and not regular Aban.

zBCk2ej.jpg

Just 3 more characters to buy from the shop.

Finished Antarctica earlier today. No way I want to do that over, lol.

There's a way to get "unlimited lives" and it involves getting your lives into the negatives. You can lose all of your lives until you're down to 1. Then go to a x-6 level you've already completed, collect the item (which should make you lose a life), and you'll go down to 0 lives. Repeat once more, and you'll be in the negatives.

The only way to get back into positives is if you buy lives from the shop or if you collect an item later in the game that gives you +200 or something (unless you're high enough in the negatives where collecting the item won't even matter).

When you're in the negatives, your lives will look like this:

As for what you get for losing all your lives?
Not a damn thing, lol. You'll restart the game but this time with only 3 lives.

1-6 with alt. characters really has me bummed out in the 3DS version. I will never be able to complete the level with the coin therefor, unless a patch is released, I'll never be able to complete the game. I really really hope Nicalis comes through and fixes the game.

Kyolux

Finally got to 10-4 last night. I hate the part where you need to mess with the penguins. I can get to the jump to the ice cube, but I keep jumping on the spikes every time I get lucky enough to get there.

Kyolux

I just bought Thompsoncare.

After purchase you just get unlimited lives. That's it, no cutscenes or anything. Disappointing.

What's the best way to grind some money? I still have a few characters to buy. I'm up to world 5 with Juni for coins.

I've done the tower up to the second boss once or twice (couldn't beat him). Are the Lost levels giving you money? I still have to tackle that I guess.

Just 3 more characters to buy from the shop.

Finished Antarctica earlier today. No way I want to do that over, lol.

There's a way to get "unlimited lives" and it involves getting your lives into the negatives. You can lose all of your lives until you're down to 1. Then go to a x-6 level you've already completed, collect the item (which should make you lose a life), and you'll go down to 0 lives. Repeat once more, and you'll be in the negatives.

The only way to get back into positives is if you buy lives from the shop or if you collect an item later in the game that gives you +200 or something (unless you're high enough in the negatives where collecting the item won't even matter).

When you're in the negatives, your lives will look like this:

As for what you get for losing all your lives?
Not a damn thing, lol. You'll restart the game but this time with only 3 lives.

Awesome tip. A lot of people don't think the game over thing is a big deal but it really is. I hate having to watch the cut-scene over and over and keep seeing the game over screen. Really slows things down.

Possessively another way to get negative lifes - add a second player when you've only got one life left. Does anyone know if this would bring you down to a negative number?

I have just started on Antarctica, god damn this game it's trolled me so many times now. Need to tighten up a few times though, really have been enjoying it.
I saved a 7 hour stream of me getting to Antarctica, so funny to watch it back, some evil moments where I just got stuck for ages, noticeably in world 4.

What's the best way to grind some money? I still have a few characters to buy. I'm up to world 5 with Juni for coins.

I've done the tower up to the second boss once or twice (couldn't beat him). Are the Lost levels giving you money? I still have to tackle that I guess.
Play The Lost Levels with Curly Brace. Her jetpack (?) ability is immensely useful and she can use it to get above levels, kinda like Mario in SMB underground levels. The value of coins increases every time you complete a set of three levels so that's good and the maximum is 1001. In twenty hours of game time I 100% the game.

Is this game full of bugs still? Seems like everytime I go on miiverse or somewhere I see posts of the game freezing or locking up. Is this just random or legit issues? What's the best console to buy this on if I do break?

Nachos

Late game spoilers (I know there's no big story, but there's a neat level design spoiler mentioned in this):
Argh, I think 10-4 might have single-handedly made me hate penguins. Every single level was fine, with me usually dying no more than 50 times, even for the tricky ones. This one made me die 437 (!) times because the penguins were so finicky for me. Eventually I gave up, and I just exploited the way the game was designed by getting within one pixel of the spikes so I could make jumps I wasn't supposed to. 10-5 was a breeze by comparison, and I think I only used 10 lives for that, since that was more of a known quantity. Now up to 10-8, and I'll try tackling that tomorrow.

Is this game full of bugs still? Seems like everytime I go on miiverse or somewhere I see posts of the game freezing or locking up. Is this just random or legit issues? What's the best console to buy this on if I do break?

So far the only bugs I've found in the 3DS version have involved the extra characters. Granted, one of them caused the entire 3DS to freeze, but the main adventure was completely fine.

drotahorror

Picked this up yesterday. A lot of fun! I'm on 4-1 with Aban, and 3-1 with 3 of the secret characters. Also have all skulls up to this point. Really cool game. I like it much better than other games like it.

ArjanN

Late game spoilers (I know there's no big story, but there's a neat level design spoiler mentioned in this):
Argh, I think 10-4 might have single-handedly made me hate penguins. Every single level was fine, with me usually dying no more than 50 times, even for the tricky ones. This one made me die 437 (!) times because the penguins were so finicky for me. Eventually I gave up, and I just exploited the way the game was designed by getting within one pixel of the spikes so I could make jumps I wasn't supposed to. 10-5 was a breeze by comparison, and I think I only used 10 lives for that, since that was more of a known quantity. Now up to 10-8, and I'll try tackling that tomorrow.

10-4 is definately the hardest level, but IMO not because of the penguins, They are 100% predictable once you realize how they work.

I got the "bad" ending after 10-7. Knew there had to be a good ending because it showed on the map 10-8 exists, so I decided to search the internet on how to get the key of serpentes (sp) and that saved me several hours because no way I would have gone back to
level 2-1 to find it
. I surprisingly beat 10-8 fairly quickly once I figured out a working strategy to defeat the boss. Great game, hopefully the sequel will have Aban in the tropics...
followed by the Arctic I'm sure.

And since beating the game last night, here were my top 5 most deadliest stages.

4-3: 125 Dead
4-4: 128 Dead
10-4: 132 Dead
9-5: 146 Dead
5-4: 217 Dead

And for some reason, it didn't count me as beating 10-8. That sucks. I watched the ending and everything but it says 60 tries, 60 dead. Shit I guess I have to beat the final boss again

edit: JUst beat the final boss AGAIN and it STILL didn't save my time. wth

Game freezes on level 6-5 when I try to beat the game with an alt character, so I guess I'll never be able to see the alt character ending. Anyways, I have collected all 30 skulls and all 30 coins so how do I get more coins to spend in the shop? Antarctica doesn't have any coins. Is the Arcade Mode the only way to get more coins after that?

ArjanN

Game freezes on level 6-5 when I try to beat the game with an alt character, so I guess I'll never be able to see the alt character ending. Anyways, I have collected all 30 skulls and all 30 coins so how do I get more coins to spend in the shop? Antarctica doesn't have any coins. Is the Arcade Mode the only way to get more coins after that?

The Lost Levels is probably the fastest way to make money. The amount you get for each coin there keeps increasing, even if you beat all the levels and loop back to the beginning.

Cajun

Neo Member
The Lost Levels is probably the fastest way to make money. The amount you get for each coin there keeps increasing, even if you beat all the levels and loop back to the beginning.

This, and use
Juni.
Double jump, two additional jumps from a wall slide, and a glide...insanely broken. I managed to get 1 mil coins in one set of 101 lives. Still took three hours, but the lost levels are significantly easier than any levels in antarctica, so its possible for most players to get 1 mil within 5 hours or so.

Fuck 4-5, im done with this game

yes, the game has all sort of weird crashes, in the 3ds version, in one lievel if you get the hidden coin with the bit.trip guy, the game crashes

ArjanN

This, and use
Juni.
Double jump, two additional jumps from a wall slide, and a glide...insanely broken. I managed to get 1 mil coins in one set of 101 lives. Still took three hours, but the lost levels are significantly easier than any levels in antarctica, so its possible for most players to get 1 mil within 5 hours or so.

I used the cave story girl with the jetpack and machine gun :p

Cajun

Neo Member
I used the cave story girl with the jetpack and machine gun :p

She's ok, but I feel the jetpack accelerates a bit too quickly for my tastes. Accidentally hit RB and switched to her once, and wasted a life flying straight into lava
:'(

i'm on 4-3 now, haven't put a ton of time into it yet but that gold buzz is my obstacle right now.

this game is really fun though, i can't wait to beat it and go through it again with other characters.

areal

Fun game. I just finished the first set of levels and collected all of the skulls. On to Antarctica, I guess. Presumably it gets more difficult from here.

No issues with the superior d-pad Vita version so far.

There's no way to know if some panels are going to thrust spikes up is there? Fuck that, I was told this game was fair.

that becomes a game in itself, the fun of this game is scouting the levels. gettings further and further in memorizing traps, how things cycle. seeing your preferred route build based on new problems and how you can get through them and finally all the pieces come together and you make it through these hell of levels like it was a piece of cake. definitely not for everyone, but i hatelove it. really addictive.

i'm at 5-4 right now, i feel like either i'm getting better or world 4 was way tougher. i love the music here though and the cold colors.

also, my lives are down to the 400s now, but i was letting coworkers play a good amount to see what i was getting into. they definitely took a few hundred lives off. though i've been being good about finding the hidden skulls and finding good death proof routes to them so i got the 1up just in case i died. also i started collecting them in the earlier levels and couldn't stop.

playing this and watching SGDQ makes me really wanna flirt with the idea of speed running this game :'3

Fucking Antarctica!!!!

this game is painfully addicting. beat my first go round of Ukampa with around 1300 lives, but they are all going down the drain now :3

Top Bottom