• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

$12 per hour the norm for entry-level video game industry positions (@GungHo Online)?

tebunker

Banned

Costco starts at $13 and has PART-TIME benefits way, way better than those. You could be an eighteen-year-old HS graduate and start out making more money/having better benefits than someone starting at GungHo with their BA who is bilingual. Yeah, no.

Do you work for Costco?

Because busting ass to get carts and be a warehouse guy, which is costco entry level, is hard work. And I am prettt sure Costco isnt paying for 100% of insurance premiums.

The key with Costco, like any other entry level job, is to survive and thrive and outwork your peers to make an impression and get promoted.

I know good Cashiers at Costco making great money, but they had to bust ass to get to that level.

People are completely missing the fact that this entry level assistant community manager job isnt a taxing job, and its hourly so they can earn OT, a lot of the time these are shitty salaried jobs that over work you.

Honestly I think whne you add in insurance and 401k this is a good job to start. Especially with no relevant work experience to demand more. The key is understanding where you go from here. Do this for 18 months cut your teeth and then move up the ladder.

Quonny

$12/hr and 10 days of vacation days with a Bachelor degree? Is that usual in the US?

Depends what you mean by usual and depends on the degree.

This job, if it were located in the Midwest or somewhere else, wouldn't be the absolute worst thing. It's a resume builder. You can say you worked for a company that made millions a week. I would imagine the work environment there is quite laid back. You get 100% paid for medical insurance (that's probably around $4000 a year). Snacks.

It could have a lot of growth. It could be something you stick with for years. It could be something you work at for a couple years and then apply to the companies that require 2+ years experience. But what does stink about this is the location. That city, that state, this is really, really low.

fernoca

$12/hr and 10 days of vacation days with a Bachelor degree? Is that usual in the US?
Well, minimum wage is still $7.25. And the BA in this two positions can be in anything related to it. Vacation is usually 5 days a year.

That should be kept in mind:
-Is a job in the game industry but not in game development.

-Minimum wage is still $7.25, though some states pay more.

-Some quickly point to Costco and McDonalds as paying more, but you also have to do a lot more shit, including clean shit.

I know it sucks and it could and should be higger. But their idea is basically that they're offering a fulltime position, paying more than the minimum and a healthplan, along twice the vacations time a year compared to others.

A person that pays $2k in rent, won't probably look for a fulltime job that pays that in a month. There are people that don't pay as much, that live in rooms or owned houses. There are also extreme situations with people having multiple jobs, but like everything the job is there for the people that want and need it.

It may sound as defending or whatever, but just explaining that it's how things work in the US...and many other countries.

My girlfriend works for Costco. If you stick it out and put in your time, you can get into management and make $80K+ per year. More for the top-level store managers and into corporate. As far as in-store management, a degree isn't necessary.
I'm gonna say that working at Costco is a pretty good job then, assuming that you're okay with working at Costco.

Not that you shouldn't be, mind you. I just don't think a lot of people dream of working at Costco, so they might be tempted to go elsewhere despite the fact that it's a good gig. If it's anything like retail or food service though, yo do need a degree after a promotion or two, even if it's just like an MBA or something.

BiggNife

$12 for a corporate job that requires a bachelor's degree sounds absolutely awful to me, but also I don't work in the video games industry.

I do editorial/content production for websites and entry-level with a degree is like $18-$20/hr in NYC.

Okay so $12/hr entry level is actually okay. Its ~$480 a week, ~$25k a year before taxes etc.

However, 100% paid health insurance is not to be dismissed. For me that equates to roughly $300 month back in pocket. Let that sink in. Depending on your health plan thats great.

Free Gym acces is worth about $30 a month. My employer asks you to pay for that even though we own the gym.

10 vacation days and 5 personal days?

Awesome. My first year in an entry level job I got 0 vacation and 2 personal. Now we offer new hires roughly 7 days of vacation to start.

So just to give you a point of reference, my company will hire new college grads for our retail store training program at roughly $43K a year to start. Mandatory 44 hours worked a week, more OT is available but rare. Its sales and there are bonuses but the demands are higher. You have to make sales calls, you are customer facing and deal with the public, you may have to work later retail hours and or weekends. We dont have as generous of an insurance program but our 401k ranks in the tops in almost all companies.

So yeah we pay you more upfront but you dont get nearly as many perks and you have a lot more responsibility and you will be doing a lot more hard work. Seriously, Management trainees become assistants at first and those are the backbone of our stores and they get grinded on hard. If you stand out you get rewarded but it definitely grinds a lot of folks down.

So reading this job description it sounds like a pretty cushy job relativley speaking. It sucks because cost of living is so high in CA, but get some roommates, share a place, save, prove yourself and work up. Realize too the value in that insurance plan and put as much as you can afford to in 401k- just put it in an index fund.

Its not amazing starting pay but honestly it doesnt sound like too much is being asked of you either. It allows the company to bring people with less risk to the company and weed out the bad ones and promote the good ones.

Not amazing starting pay? "Actually okay?" Sorry, but it's terrible. You should not be expected to only be paid $12/hr with a 4 year degree. That's absurd. For a lot of people, particularly in the Bay Area, that's not a living wage. No amount of gym access or "scrumptious snacks" changes that.

Also, paid insurance is only a good perk if it's good insurance. I've had jobs where the deductible is over 5k and at that point you're seriously better off paying for a ACA plan out of your own pocket.

Look, I don't live in CA, and I don't work in the games industry. But if I was offered this job I would not touch it with a ten foot pole. You can definitely get much better paying jobs if you have the amount of experience that job description is asking for.

Yeah that pay seems pretty low. The benefits are a little bit better.

A bachelor's degree and all those responsibilities and bilingual for $12 an hour though? Lol fuck that. Man this industry has problems.

Its an industry I wanted to get into so badly (HR), but when I saw the turnover, the buyouts, and the immediate layoffs after the release of a game, I asked myself why on earth would anyone want to do this? And these dues were working 100 hours a week.

It seems to be the most shaky, unstable, industry period. And they make the hiring process the most unbearable, like you are trying to work for the CIA.

Im not bragging, because its nothing to brag about, ut I make $33 and I don't have a degree, get your shit together gaming industry.

SOLDIER

This still sounds a lot better than the job offers I see at http://gamejournalismjobs.com/

The majority don't pay squat, with the common tagline being "We're not big enough to pay for our employees now, but once our site breaks out..."

I once saw an ad that offered $0.50 for every 1000 views of your article. Might as well just spit on your face while they're at it.

I wish I could just do like the Super Best Friends and stream shit all week, as that seems to be paying the bills for them. Problem is finding, well, the friends.

BiggNife

This still sounds a lot better than the job offers I see at http://gamejournalismjobs.com/

The majority don't pay squat, with the common tagline being "We're not big enough to pay for our employees now, but once our site breaks out..."

I once saw an ad that offered $0.50 for every 1000 views of your article. Might as well just spit on your face while they're at it.

I wish I could just do like the Super Best Friends and stream shit all week, as that seems to be paying the bills for them. Problem is finding, well, the friends.

Yeah, there are definitely worse jobs out there (Startups that want you to work "for exposure" can go straight in the garbage), but I don't think that makes this one okay.

There are so many jobs in other industries that pay way better than that for the same level of experience. It's a big reason why I decided to not work in games.

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
Didn't you used to work at ILM? What was the salary there?

Better than games, but not as good as other tech companies in the Bay Area.

A lot of the allure was working in a unique environment on unique projects, the various company perks, and there were really good benefits, especially for long-timers - I had 4 weeks of vacation per year towards the end and that could roll over to the next, so you could have 8 weeks banked up if you really wanted to. Plus a week of sick time per year if I remember right that could also rollover up to a cap of like 3 or 4 weeks.

This is all pre-Disney acquisition though, so I'm not sure if anything's changed.

tebunker

Banned
$12 for a corporate job that requires a bachelor's degree sounds absolutely awful to me, but also I don't work in the video games industry.

I do editorial/content production for websites and entry-level with a degree is like $18-$20/hr in NYC.

Not amazing starting pay? "Actually okay?" Sorry, but it's terrible. You should not be expected to only be paid $12/hr with a 4 year degree. That's absurd.

Also, paid insurance is only a good perk if it's good insurance. I've had jobs where the deductible is over 5k and at that point you're seriously better off paying for a ACA plan out of your own pocket.

Look, I don't live in CA, and I don't work in the games industry. But if I was offered this job I would not touch it with a ten foot pole. You can definitely get much better paying jobs if you have the amount of experience that job description is asking for.

But not for what this looks like it is asking of the employee. I think I even pointed this out.

People get hung up in the whole needs a bachelors etc. Companies put that shit on job openings to help reduce the amount of shitty applications they get. It is a culling. They want college educated folks for a job that looks like it barely requires a highschool degree.

So yeah at first blanche it looks bad until you lok at whats asked of them.

I made a lot more money than that when I graduated college but I also had to hump paint all over the city, make sales calls, collection calls and I didn't receive fraction of those benefits. I was ecstatic too. However I would have been pleased as punch with this job too.

You have to take in to account what is actually being asked of the employee. Ignore the education requirements because l, like I said, companies use that as a means to get better candidates and cull the wheat from the chaff. That Job I was talking about above that starts at $43k? We require a college degree too, but you will never put it to use. It's pointless, anyone with a highschool diploma could do that job, but we make it a requirement to attract a specific type of candidate so dont get too hung up there.

Also not saying they can't do better elsewhere, again see example provided, and I absolutely think a lot of positions are underpaid, but I dont see this as bad as you do. It honestly sounds like something an intern would be expected to do and its paid that way except it has a lot more benefits.

spwolf

2014 Gamasutra Salary Survey (latest I could find)

More at link.

Not sure how one shit $12/hr job being posted has somehow transitioned into all jobs in gaming and in America being shit, but hey, that's the internet for you.

Since everyone from Europe commented how they get 30 vacation days and better pay than 12$/hr, I wonder how many people in their IT companies make $83k per year? I would guess not many.

US sucks for bad jobs because there isnt enough government support (compared to Western Europe). But for mid and high paying IT jobs, US is a lot better than Europe.

Looking at stats, computer programmer average gross salary in Germany is around $3k and that sounds about right too.
http://www.worldsalaries.org/germany.shtml

SOLDIER

Yeah, there are definitely worse jobs out there (Startups that want you to work "for exposure" can go straight in the garbage), but I don't think that makes this one okay.

There are so many jobs in other industries that pay way better than that for the same level of experience. It's a big reason why I decided to not work in games.

Which is why I would love it if this thread could be used for people to suggest decent-paying jobs that videogame enthusiasts might enjoy doing. I certainly would love that information myself.

Friends and family constantly tell me to go into network development/programming because I "love using computers". Still haven't decided if I should, though.

$12 an hour for a production position? lol yeah right. Lots of companies try to pull this with new people trying to enter QA also because people are just excited to get into the industry. You can get A LOT more. I don't know why anyone would even contemplate going for job postings like this unless you were extremely desperate for a placeholder to get by.

Which is why I would love it if this thread could be used for people to suggest decent-paying jobs that videogame enthusiasts might enjoy doing. I certainly would love that information myself.

Friends and family constantly tell me to go into network development/programming because I "love using computers". Still haven't decided if I should, though.

Decent pay? Get a business degree or, preferably, an MBA along with focus and experience managing and interpreting data ('Business Intelligence")

Games companies have far more data flowing in than they know what to do with. Most people doing BI now in games are quite bad at it.

Excellent pay, great challenge, a lot of opportunity.

Can't believe that people in the US are not rioting. Try giving people in the UK 10 days holiday a year and the entire country will come to a stand still.

Honestly, if you want great pay and a life outside work I would avoid the games industry entirely. Companies prey on the fact that everyone wants to get into games because that's their passion. Go into some other form of software. No matter how much you're making in games there's always more money in some other field. Your pay will be better, you'll work less hours, and you'll actually still enjoy playing games outside of work.

BiggNife

Well, I personally don't have any experience or knowledge except in the field I work in, which is online editorial/content production for major companies. In my first full time job I had about the same qualifications as listed in that GungHo job and I was getting over 50% more pay.

Obviously engineering jobs pay boatloads but not everyone is cut out for that sort of stuff. I'm definitely not. They pay super well but that's because you're doing a lot of hard, demanding work.

Do you work for Costco?

Because busting ass to get carts and be a warehouse guy, which is costco entry level, is hard work. And I am prettt sure Costco isnt paying for 100% of insurance premiums.

The key with Costco, like any other entry level job, is to survive and thrive and outwork your peers to make an impression and get promoted.

I know good Cashiers at Costco making great money, but they had to bust ass to get to that level.

People are completely missing the fact that this entry level assistant community manager job isnt a taxing job, and its hourly so they can earn OT, a lot of the time these are shitty salaried jobs that over work you.

Honestly I think whne you add in insurance and 401k this is a good job to start. Especially with no relevant work experience to demand more. The key is understanding where you go from here. Do this for 18 months cut your teeth and then move up the ladder.
Yeah, this is how I see it as well. It's not a great job, but I'd imagine you're still getting a pretty decent deal. It's just not something you'd want to do for more than a year or so.

Timeaisis

Entry level game jobs in the US are very low paying, yeah. Entry QA is like $12-15/hr as well, iirc. They bank on you being passionate enough to work in an industry you love.

SOLDIER

Decent pay? Get a business degree or, preferably, an MBA along with focus and experience managing and interpreting data ('Business Intelligence")

Games companies have far more data flowing in than they know what to do with. Most people doing BI now in games are quite bad at it.

Excellent pay, great challenge, a lot of opportunity.

Is there a way to get into that in less than a year? I already wasted a bunch of time getting a Bachelor's in Criminal Justice (for all the good it's done me). I would really love to get a certificate or something "quick", rather than waste another two years. It doesn't help that I don't have the cash for that either, since I won't be eligible for another student loan.

To find someone that actually understand Japanese require a lot more than that...

It's the American localization branch of a Japanese video game company. Of course, knowing Japanese would be beneficial. It's not required for the job.

An actual Japanese translation job at a video game company would pay more, even an entry-level one.

Corsick

This thread is actually a bit incredible, my position at my company (not in California or in the games industry) is considered entry level, yet is more appealing than this one in a myriad of ways. The requirements are less steep and the compensation much greater, I don't see how this is anything but insulting to someone with the skillset they're demanding. It seems there's a general lack of respect for the people they want to hire, as if they have nowhere else to go.

In America: Die.
Nearly everywhere else: Call in sick.

Welcome to 'Murica. Love it or leave it.
I feel like most places are pretty leanient with this kind of thing. Maybe not games development but I know a lot of places are pretty accommodating with call-offs for illness as long as it seems legit. I mean you don't get paid for it but still.

Good point.

Regardless I have an entry level job lined up when I graduate soon that makes 2x this much with a raisr after 3 months so it still seems abysmally low. Sad.
That's actually pretty awesome! Is it similar qualifications and stuff?

That's actually pretty awesome! Is it similar qualifications and stuff?

Just bachelor's degree and some experience (which is mitigated by the hands on/live client approach my courses take)!
It just seems sad that someone with a strong education is going to be making less than I do at my part time retail slave job I use to pay my way through school.

BibiMaghoo

Gardeners in my old job, the lowest paid employee's were given the equivalent of $10.20 an hour. All they did was mow grass and blow leaves into bags.

This position is a fucking joke. The wage is a joke. That makes the company a joke.

maks

Looks normal to me. Here's what I recall in my 10+ years of game industry experience. Was in qa, production, design positions. Some qa "highlights" from the larger companies I was with...

1996 $9hr qa, no benefits with Sega.
1998 $28k qa job with psygnosis
2008 $11hr qa, no benefits with EA.

Ive used qa as an entry point to decent positions in gaming. In my last stint I was offered the producer job I really wanted but declined since I was leaving for a regular qa job in the software industry where I now make 4 times more money doing easier work. Go figure. We have a saying, "life after ______, is always better". Insert whatever game company you want in there.

I can only speak from personal experience, but working as a contracted software engineer at EA Tiburon I make $26/hour, and it's my first job.

I know that OP's particular job offering is not tech-related and is also an associate's position, but $12 seems really low to me, especially for a California-based company.

Videogame industry pay is abysmal, though those seem low even for the videogame industry.

I work for a mid-sized software company in New England and I don't know what our community manager is paid here, but I'd suspect it's somewhere north of $100,000 because he has a pretty nice house in a higher priced town. That said, he has 10 years+ experience and it's not an entry level position, but even the entry level social media positions here are ~$50,000+ with average benefits.

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
Ive used qa as an entry point to decent positions in gaming. In my last stint I was offered the producer job I really wanted but declined since I was leaving for a regular qa job in the software industry where I now make 4 times more money doing easier work. Go figure. We have a saying, "life after ______, is always better". Insert whatever game company you want in there.

Well, software QA outside of gaming is an actual viable career path with reasonable pay. Not really the case with gaming, where it's often seen primarily as a step towards other positions (the pay rates on its own would probably get someone to start looking elsewhere once you hit the promotion ceiling there).

ANDS

King of Gaslighting
$12 an hour with a degree is pretty bad, since most likely loans x rent are a priority for people , not to mention food and etc

10 "vacation" days is such a pain to see, jeez

10 vacation days is two weeks off from work. This is including a week of sick and "personal" time. This is NOT including the 10 or 11 state holidays.

As for the pay this is CLEARLY not a job for someone experienced, this is an entry level position likely tailored for a recent graduate (who does NOT have a professional degree) who is young and will most assuredly be already living in Southern California or is fine witb roommates.

I seriously do not get this mentality that because a company is profitable, that their employees have to be balling.

Gardeners in my old job, the lowest paid employee's were given the equivalent of $10.20 an hour. All they did was mow grass and blow leaves into bags.

This position is a fucking joke. The wage is a joke. That makes the company a joke.

So you see no qualified difference between mowing lawns for 8 hours a day I'm all weather conditions versus working in an office as a community manager when benefits and time off? Sure.

100 Percent employer paid health care benefits is legit and no joke..

The rest of the package is depressing, especially with the cost of living there...You would be squeaking by, and a roommate would be a must...

WaterAstro

Uuuh well I don't know the minimum wage for that location, but those positions, despite its wordy descriptions, aren't anything but intern level work. They are definitely not demanding high qualifications for the positions, and aren't asking much in their task.

Those positions are getting paid for what they're doing, also, the opportunities of networking while in those positions seem tremendous. It's not always about the money.

Edit: One more thing. Companies don't make money by spending too much of it. An extreme case is EA as EA layoff as many people as possible, uses contractors instead of full time employees, and cuts the shit out of features so they can deliver the minimum product for the maximum profit. You just have to be smart when spending. I'd say GungHo is spending the right amount for what they are asking for.

Top Bottom