• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2 wheel GAF UNITE!

I saw the video of the new BMW 1200 nineT and man it feels good. It just make me feel to get out and ride. Its not ideal for everyday ride as I need the weather protection. But if I stayed in a warm place this will be a great second bike.

Video added
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=NA8z7T3JqZk

I'm a bit torn on that video. I think the bike's not bad looking and the setting is awesome. But man, what an insufferable bunch of hipsters. Every inch of their clothing and accessories had so obviously been fussed over for hours. Hard to take seriously.

I'm a bit torn on that video. I think the bike's not bad looking and the setting is awesome. But man, what an insufferable bunch of hipsters. Every inch of their clothing and accessories had so obviously been fussed over for hours. Hard to take seriously.

Yeeeeah. After reading your comment it was all I could think about while watching the video lol.

Dougald

Hah, I always rip on my friend for being a hipster biker. Actually, I could see him buying one of these once he gets back from his tour with a few grand burning a hole in his back pocket. He's always been enamoured with the idea of owning a BMW bike.

Very true, they do have all the right gear to go with the movie and hipster look. But then in the real world its 8 degrees when I rode in this morning and I did not feel that free on the bike as I had friggen 5 layers on lol

Reven

That EBR is awesome but how about that Honda CBR300R. I'm excited but I'm also saddened at the same time because I bought a CBR250R just over two weeks ago.

TCRS

Banned
Loads of new bikes nowadays. Triumph single cylinder spied:

030_Triumph_250er_Erlkoenig.jpg.2590972.jpg

http://www.visordown.com/motorcycle-news-new-bikes/triumph-single-spied/23768.html

It was just a matter of time.

Dougald

So a smaller displacement Street Triple for the A2 license crowd? I suspect that's going to be a hotly contested market in the EU in the next few years

Looks good but too small for me now!

The EU has a big market but they would like to get in to China and Japan... now there they will make a killing if they can sell the small bike. I agree with the headlights... it a bit on the big side.

Dougald

It will need to be very small in that case!

When I was in China I saw thousands of scooters and bikes, but I only saw two bikes that were over 250cc. Even the police in Beijing ride little 125/250-type bikes. In fact... here's a terrible photo I took:

The 125cc market is pretty congested but still makes huge money, even over here IIRC the biggest selling bikes are all 125cc or the BMW GS. If they can crack it it'd be good for Triumph.

They use bikes in a total different way. We where in Thailand and next to the roads you will see scooter and small bikes. They have a truck that comes by to pickup and discard of the old bikes. Its cheap to buy and if it craps out you toss it out. We went the one night to a bar and the parking lot was full of 125cc bikes about 50 of them... it felt like a scene from dusk till dawn.

Dougald

Yeah it looked great fun, if a little dangerous. I'd loved to have rented a bike out there.

The Chinese seem to migrate from riding electric scooters on the pavement, to <125cc bikes, to cars. Both the bigger bikes I saw were Harleys in Shanghai, obviously more used as recreational toys than transport. Hong Kong is of course the exception, lots of big bikes!

Triumph make at least 50% of their bikes out in Thailand I believe, so I expect if they did make a small bike it would come out of there (as much as they would like you to believe every bike is knocked out in Hinckley in the UK - ironically all the Bonneville derivatives are now made in Asia)

Just crossed 1000 miles yesterday. Been getting as much ride time as I can before the rainy season picks up. This is why I am considering a cruiser bike. An hour into riding the sport bike and my hands start to cramp, i just don't see myself riding in that forward position for long. Upright or more laid back, just like the bike I learned on during the MSF.

Just crossed 1000 miles yesterday. Been getting as much ride time as I can before the rainy season picks up. This is why I am considering a cruiser bike. An hour into riding the sport bike and my hands start to cramp, i just don't see myself riding in that forward position for long. Upright or more laid back, just like the bike I learned on during the MSF.

Yeah, that's totally fine. I only ask because when I first started on my 250 I got that "bigger bike itch" pretty quickly. Probably about how many miles you have, don't recall exactly.

Anyway, after riding more I started to improve in my cornering, and it was around that point when corners started to be the real fun of my riding. I also learned to properly rev match and 2-finger brake and things started to click more. After another thousand or two kilometers a friend of a friend gave me some pointers and mentioned how hanging your body off (even if just a teensy bit) can make a big difference. That is by far the funnest bit for me--getting off the bike a little. It really helped my confidence and seems like it's easier to make the bike track better (knowing that you're decreasing the lean angle, even if only slightly...)

I'm still a noob, at about 8000km now (end of first season), but just figured I'd throw it out there. I will be switching for a bigger bike next year but it is only because the physical size of my bike makes my right knee hurt (too much of a bend). If it weren't for that, I would be happy to do another 8000km on this or more before moving on.

Yeah, been developing my confidence these past two months. Even taking the time to practice some low speed maneuvering to get my clutch and throttle modulation skills up. I can probably look into some risers for my handle bars (clip ons) and get another 1000 under my belt.

Sat on a Bonneville and the ergos were perfect! It's quite a jump from 250ccs.

Dougald

Sat on a Bonneville and the ergos were perfect! It's quite a jump from 250ccs.

One of us! One of us! I think you'd do great with a Bonnie, much more comfortable if you are a bit on the larger side (or like me, on the shorter side) and easy as anything to ride.

My only problem with mine is since owning an ST1100 and now an FZS600, it feels too slow. It'll still hit 70mph easy enough though, and I was touring it in France at 130km/h (80mph) for hours at a time. My friends had his up to 115-120 or so on the Autobahn, but said it wasn't really an experience he'd want to repeat...

That doesn't necessarily mean you should go for a cruiser though. Try a sport-tour oriented naked bike first. I'm very comfortable on my M1100 or Buell for instance.

Cruisers typically suck in the handling department. They're awful. Cool, but awful nonetheless.

Dougald

That doesn't necessarily mean you should go for a cruiser though. Try a sport-tour oriented naked bike first. I'm very comfortable on my M1100 or Buell for instance.

Cruisers typically suck in the handling department. They're awful. Cool, but awful nonetheless.

I too like the "sit up and beg" position and have found all my bikes pretty comfortable to ride. The FZS in particular is great and it's no slouch when it comes to handling either.

Bonneville brakes are made out of tin cans.

Dougald

Man that bike in the video is sweet, it's like a baby Pan European.

Maybe I should try one sometime, the only problem I ever had with my Pan was the weight.

I really hope the price on that new BMW is prohibitively high, because I am seriously thinking about trying one when they're out with the possibility of going back to one bike, that one!

The other reason i'm eying cruisers is the lower seat height. I have a 30 inch inseam which puts a lot of dual-sports out of my comfort zone. Sucks because I would love to get into a Hypermotard.

iamblades

The other reason i'm eying cruisers is the lower seat height. I have a 30 inch inseam which puts a lot of dual-sports out of my comfort zone. Sucks because I would love to get into a Hypermotard.

Those sport touring naked bikes also have low seat heights. The monster's seat height is only a couple inches higher than most cruisers for instance, and when actually sitting on the bike, it seems even lower than that.

Also the seat height on dual sports and adventure bikes is a bit misleading. Those bikes are much narrower in the saddle than a cruiser, so you can get away with a higher seat height than you would expect. Don't avoid them just based on the numbers without trying them out first. Something like an XR650L may not be ideal for you, but don't avoid them without trying them first.

YMMV, but for me, the feet forward posture of a cruiser makes them more uncomfortable for me to ride than the most aggressive sport bike riding position. The cruiser posture encourages me round my lower back to reach for the bars, especially with some of the silly completely non ergonomic bars that some cruisers have. With the standard posture, you have your legs underneath you to support your upper body, and with the sport posture you can lean your upper body on the tank for support. On a cruiser your entire upper body is just a big lever on your low back being blown around by the wind. It puts a lot of strain on your core to support your upper body.

Leaning back cruising down the street may look more comfortable, but if you actually look at the mechanics and ergonomics of it, cruisers are really suboptimal.

Also hand cramps just means you are holding on too tight, it has nothing to do with the posture. Sport posture puts more strain on your neck and shoulders, but no bike should be putting strain on your hands, because you should be using basically no pressure on the bars. The 'death grip' on the bars is a common new rider thing though. You just have to learn that you hold on to the bike with your legs, all your hands have to do is operate the controls. Your arms and hand should be completely relaxed and you should be putting none of your weight onto the bars. Some people recommend that you flap your arms around like a chicken every now and then to remind yourself to keep your elbows bent and your weight off the bars.

Yep, learning to relax makes a big difference. Learning to hold yourself up some with your core and holding onto the bike more with your legs will also free up your upper body. Instead of replacing the whole thing, you might also try some different (higher) clip ons that will make the riding position a little more upright. That, plus an aftermarket screen (Zero Gravity are my pick for sportbikes) and you'll have something slightly closer to a standard riding experience.

Hmm, yeah what iamblades says is correct. The Monster 696 for instance has a 30.3 inch seat height.

Dougald

Ah same problem as me. You'd do alright on a Bonneville of course, but don't discount a lighter sport/tourer/whatever bike. The seat height may be high, but you can get away with leaning those over and flat-footing with one leg much more easily.

For instance, the Tiger 800 is far too tall for me, but because it's so light I was easily able to ride it. Same with the Fazer to a degree, I've never been able to flat-foot any bike, except my Bonneville when I'm wearing the boots with slightly thicker soles...

Welp, dropped my bike off at the shop for the winter (we have no storage/garage and it snowed for the first time yesterday).

Had a great first season and looking forward to the next. Might be on a new bike then, not sure. Mine is a Ninja 250 and I'm looking for a middle-weight upright-style bike. They have a selection of 2013 Kawasaki demo bikes on significant discount... sat on a KLR 650 and the seating position was great, if high. They also have a Ninja 650 ABS for a pretty good price.

I'm gonna use the winter to read Dave Hough's book. Can't wait for the next season. Definitely going to take a track course. Didn't have a chance this year because of travelling.

Love me my California winter. Just discovered Eagle Rider and i'm giddy to rent a bike for a weekend. Great way to figure out what I want to get next. Might keep the CBR250 a bit longer if I scratch that big bike itch by renting a bike every few months.

TomServo

Finally sold the '11 Ninja 250. It's been sharing garage space with the '03 SV650S for a year and a half because my wife kept hinting that she wante to ride. She finally admitted it wasn't going to happen, and without even a flimsy excuse to keep two bikes it went on Craigslist. Sold in about a week. Didn't get all of my money back, but I knew I overpaid for it.

SV looked so lonely in the garage, so I changed the oil and filter, cleaned and lubed the chain, and adjusted the rear brake lever. Wiped her down with some quick detailer... so pretty, especially for a 10+ year old bike.

man, $8k for a new 2012 kawa z1000 in burnt orange and black. want to buy, but i'd hafta do a trade in, plus that would be my third bike this year... :-( i may have a problem.

Watevaman

Question for you guys who go through bikes every few years: do you guys pay in full or do you typically finance? I remember reading against financing what most banks consider a "toy," but looking at a lot of bikes on CL I would personally find it hard to pay straight up.

iamblades

Question for you guys who go through bikes every few years: do you guys pay in full or do you typically finance? I remember reading against financing what most banks consider a "toy," but looking at a lot of bikes on CL I would personally find it hard to pay straight up.

It's simple math, can you finance for a lower interest rate than you are earning(or would be earning) with the cash you would pay for it with?

It is always better to finance if the interest is lower than the returns you can get. Always, 100% of the time, no exceptions. People over complicate credit and financing, saying you should or shouldn't finance this or that, when in reality it's a simple x vs. y comparison.

Banks do not give a shit about what you are buying and whether it is of utility or a toy, all they care about is you paying them back.

Top Bottom