• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2 wheel GAF UNITE!

Fixed1979

It's simple math, can you finance for a lower interest rate than you are earning(or would be earning) with the cash you would pay for it with?

It is always better to finance if the interest is lower than the returns you can get. Always, 100% of the time, no exceptions. People over complicate credit and financing, saying you should or shouldn't finance this or that, when in reality it's a simple x vs. y comparison.

Banks do not give a shit about what you are buying and whether it is of utility or a toy, all they care about is you paying them back.

I really don't understand the point you're trying to make. You're always paying more for your bike when financing then when you pay cash. Depending on interest rates the amount may be inconsequential, I threw my bike on my credit line and will pay it off next month, this cost me less than $50, if I had just paid cash my additional cost would have been $0.

If you can afford to not finance, especially a depreciating asset, it will always be better to do so. I don't think financing is something to be afraid of, but whatever you're buying will always end up costing more, unless of course you get a 0% interest, even then though there's usually some administration fees attached.

Dougald

I think what iamblades is saying, is if you can get finance at say, 4% interest, but you can get a 7% return on that capital in a savings account, then you're better off financing and putting the cash in the account

Of course these days that's not too likely!

If you can get 0% then it's obviously a better deal as your monthly payment at the end of the loan will be worth less than at the start, thanks to inflation.

I think I might have found my daily driver/ track day bike.........man the details on this are exciting.

ktm-rc390.jpg

That is one hell of a nice looking bike..

iamblades

I really don't understand the point you're trying to make. You're always paying more for your bike when financing then when you pay cash. Depending on interest rates the amount may be inconsequential, I threw my bike on my credit line and will pay it off next month, this cost me less than $50, if I had just paid cash my additional cost would have been $0.

If you can afford to not finance, especially a depreciating asset, it will always be better to do so. I don't think financing is something to be afraid of, but whatever you're buying will always end up costing more, unless of course you get a 0% interest, even then though there's usually some administration fees attached.

Actually depreciating assets are the BEST things to finance. Otherwise you are just sinking a bunch of useful cash into something that just loses money.

It's the time value of money. Cash now is worth more than cash in the future. Paying more in the future is not a bad thing when you look at the opportunity costs associated with spending all that cash upfront. That cash could be in a conservative bond fund and earn double the interest rate on a loan, assuming you have decent credit.

For the math:

Assuming starting cash price of $10,000, just to make things easy. You can put that money in a conservative bond fun, say with a 4.2% yield, and at the end of a three year loan you have $11,313.66, while I see finance rates advertised currently for 2.2%, so financing the bike would cost $10,674.63 in total at the end of 3 years. That's $639.03 that you are losing by not financing. I have a %1.49 apr loan on my bike and have more aggressive investments, so the delta in my case would be even higher.

Assuming you plan correctly and are responsible with your payments, financing is almost always the way to go.

People assume financing is for buying something you don't have the money for, but financing really should be for people who do have the ability to pay cash, but want to get more returns.

GONZO

As a general rule of thumb, I say, the only thing you should finance is a house.

What's the deal with that KTM, Gonzo?

It's a single cylinder 390cc KTM with no skimping on components. 43 HP very high revving, WP rear shock and completely adjustable suspension. It's based totally off of their 390 race bike. Should be incredibly fun at the track with it 147kg of weight. And the gas mileage will be pretty awesome one a single stroke. And the smaller width tires + lower price cost replacements. All of my requirements for a daily rider and a track bike.

Fixed1979

Actually depreciating assets are the BEST things to finance. Otherwise you are just sinking a bunch of useful cash into something that just loses money.

It's the time value of money. Cash now is worth more than cash in the future. Paying more in the future is not a bad thing when you look at the opportunity costs associated with spending all that cash upfront. That cash could be in a conservative bond fund and earn double the interest rate on a loan, assuming you have decent credit.

For the math:

Assuming starting cash price of $10,000, just to make things easy. You can put that money in a conservative bond fun, say with a 4.2% yield, and at the end of a three year loan you have $11,313.66, while I see finance rates advertised currently for 2.2%, so financing the bike would cost $10,674.63 in total at the end of 3 years. That's $639.03 that you are losing by not financing. I have a %1.49 apr loan on my bike and have more aggressive investments, so the delta in my case would be even higher.

Assuming you plan correctly and are responsible with your payments, financing is almost always the way to go.

People assume financing is for buying something you don't have the money for, but financing really should be for people who do have the ability to pay cash, but want to get more returns.

Thanks for the explanation, I can certainly see situations where this could work. Though, at least around where I am, seeing rates at 2.2 is not common by any stretch, it's actually less than the current prime rates in both Canada and the US. I believe that seeing a rate below Prime is a rarity and perhaps more common on mortgages where you might see Prime-.5, for small loans I would consider Prime +2 or +3 to be expected. I believe I was offered 7% on my bike for one year, I promptly told them to piss off, if I could find an investment that would guarantee me a return against these rates then I would be all in.

Fixed1979

Received my package from Triumph, got my hands on a couple oil change kits to make things easier for me and also grabbed a copy of the service manual.

For the more fun side of things I picked up the triumph I bought a bar end mirror, I actually thought it was a set, but it's actually only one, I suppose I should have known better. Thinking I might just go with one for a bit and see how it goes.
A9638060-Bar-End-Mirror-Black-Anodized_Black.jpg

Same as these except they have a Triumph logo.

Also grabbed some frame protectors.
A9788013-Frame-Protectors.jpg

And some bobins for a rear stand I haven't purchased yet...

I'll get some actual bike pictures up once I get off my ass and install them. Need to go tool shopping first.

I really want to get these grips, but they're pretty expensive and I haven't tracked down an online store I'm comfortable buying from. I have the winter to decide and I really want to get the fly screen and belly pan before spring as well so we'll see...

SFgrip.jpg

Anyone have experience with these?

demented

Ok, it's a cold night and I firmly decided as soon as spring rolls in I'm buying a Ducati (most likely 848)!!!

But then I remembered in the late September I'll be going away for 2 years to do masters abroad and won't be able to take my bike with me lol. I will be back for summer after first year but yeah, maybe unfirm my decision ? What would you guys do? In theory I could have fun from April to September, then store it or something until next June, then after that same until June after.. seems like too much hassle really and money lost. Maybe sell it after summer but that too is annoying..

FML more time without bike.

Watevaman

If it was me, and I knew for sure I'd be leaving, then I wouldn't buy it. At least, not new. I'd definitely pick up a used one, ride it for the summer, then sell it. Nine months would be too damn long knowing I had a bike waiting for me but couldn't ride it.

demented

I know :\

There is another option and it might work out, we'll see. Wonder what I'd have to do to store the bike for a long time (drain the fluids, disconnect battery etc etc)

Ok, it's a cold night and I firmly decided as soon as spring rolls in I'm buying a Ducati (most likely 848)!!!

But then I remembered in the late September I'll be going away for 2 years to do masters abroad and won't be able to take my bike with me lol. I will be back for summer after first year but yeah, maybe unfirm my decision ? What would you guys do? In theory I could have fun from April to September, then store it or something until next June, then after that same until June after.. seems like too much hassle really and money lost. Maybe sell it after summer but that too is annoying..

FML more time without bike.

Buy used in off-season, ride bike during summer, sell before moving. IMO.

Watevaman

I know :\

There is another option and it might work out, we'll see. Wonder what I'd have to do to store the bike for a long time (drain the fluids, disconnect battery etc etc)

I'd say if it's gonna be put away for 9 months (and the fact that it's a Ducati), I'd do everything. Drain all the fluids, stabilize the fuel, prop the bike up on stands so you don't get flat spots in the tires, etc.

I invested in a Optimate 4 charger last week and had it on the bike over the weekend and my battery is now nicely charged and conditioned. Its a really nice charger as you take it out the box connect and forget. It charges and conditions and it support the Canbus BMW system. It comes with the two clamps and a connector to permanently fix it to the bike. You can buy an extra cable to plug into the accessory socket of the bike and it will charge via that.

Worth the 49 notes I spent

Dougald

I invested in a Optimate 4 charger last week and had it on the bike over the weekend and my battery is now nicely charged and conditioned. Its a really nice charger as you take it out the box connect and forget. It charges and conditions and it support the Canbus BMW system. It comes with the two clamps and a connector to permanently fix it to the bike. You can buy an extra cable to plug into the accessory socket of the bike and it will charge via that.

Worth the 49 notes I spent

+1, I'm using two at the moment (one split between my bikes and one on my mates bike while he's in Afghanistan). No more flat batteries, and it brought my friends back from death too.

Just fitted some handlebar muffs on the Yamaha as it's started to get cold here, planning to head up to London later so hopefully they do the business, by my calculations with wind chill it will be just about at freezing point.

TCRS

Banned
Well, finally! The new VFR800:

010_Honda%20VFR%20800%20Eicma%202013.jpg.2663632.jpg

http://www.visordown.com/motorcycle-news-new-bikes/2014-honda-vfr800f/23894.html

And lots of news coming from the EICMA:

New CBR650F (HNNGG) and CB650F (replacing the Hornet):
http://www.visordown.com/motorcycle-news-new-bikes/two-new-honda-650s-unveiled/23899.html

The N700s have become N750s (the X and S are outside the A2 license range now):
http://www.visordown.com/motorcycle-news-new-bikes/hondas-nc700s-become-750s/23898.html

The CTX700 is coming to Europe (both naked and faired):
http://www.visordown.com/motorcycle...s-us-only-ctx700s-on-way-to-europe/23903.html

New CTX1300:
http://www.visordown.com/motorcycle-news-new-bikes/2014-honda-ctx1300/23896.html

New Ducati Monster 1200 and 1200S:
060_Ducati-Monster-1200S.jpg.2658558.jpg

http://www.visordown.com/motorcycle...-reveal-new-monster-1200-and-1200s/23901.html

AND a sneak peek of the new BMW R1200RT (full reveal tomorrow):
http://www.visordown.com/motorcycle-news-new-bikes/2014-bmw-r1200rt-revealed/23902.html

(sorry, visordown and motorradonline.de are my only sources for bike related stuff)

God that new Duc looks hot. I assume they switched to liquid cooling rather than having it air-cooled.

Read more of the specs on Ducati's site and it's making me smile. The 1100 evo Monster is no longer on the site so I assume this replaces it and (hopefully) for the same price point of $12k.

GONZO

God that new Duc looks hot. I assume they switched to liquid cooling rather than having it air-cooled.

Read more of the specs on Ducati's site and it's making me smile. The 1100 evo Monster is no longer on the site so I assume this replaces it and (hopefully) for the same price point of $12k.

the price is getting bumped to a little under 14k for base and 15k for t he s model. I actually don't like it too much. Its basically an EVO with a radiator. And while it makes more power it does gain weight as well. I wish they would have gone crazy with the motor like the new KTM then I would have been more excited but 135 HP is not really that great. Now if this is priced in the same range then I see it as a much much better proposition. 180 HP and a much more advanced electronics package.

2014-KTM-1290-Super-Duke-R-14.jpg

That VFR is a nice looking bike and I think its going to do well as there is allot of people that dont want the big model and the 800 sits nicely in the middle.

The Duke and the KTM looks great... but the KTM has the slow slung look that wins for me.

Dougald

They all look great!

I'd have loved a vfr but insurance on it was just maddening when I was looking earlier in the year.

the price is getting bumped to a little under 14k for base and 15k for t he s model. I actually don't like it too much. Its basically an EVO with a radiator. And while it makes more power it does gain weight as well.

Yeah, no kidding, my 1100s weighs 167kg, this new 1200s clocks in at 182kg apparently.

The radiator does also come with 4 valves per cylinder though.

Perhaps I'm biased because I own an 1100s, but I'm not a big fan of the new design. Maybe I need to see it in the flesh, but right now it sorta reminds me of a Bandit or an FZ.

/edit: actually, it does work from some of the other angels I'm seeing it in. Hmmm....

GONZO

Yeah, no kidding, my 1100s weighs 167kg, this new 1200s clocks in at 182kg apparently.

The radiator does also come with 4 valves per cylinder though.

Perhaps I'm biased because I own an 1100s, but I'm not a big fan of the new design. Maybe I need to see it in the flesh, but right now it sorta reminds me of a Bandit or an FZ.

/edit: actually, it does work from some of the other angels I'm seeing it in. Hmmm....

Have you looked at the detailed pics of the left hand side. Not pretty at all in my opinion. Wish they could have cleaned it up more somehow. I do however love that the dash has been updated to the panigales industry leading unit. If anyone ever wants to see what the most amazing motorcycle dashboard looks like go look at a Panigale! pure visual sex on that dash.

edit: In fact check this out, this is what will be on the new monsters.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jnvu1L_OozQ

Have you looked at the detailed pics of the left hand side. Not pretty at all in my opinion. Wish they could have cleaned it up more somehow. I do however love that the dash has been updated to the panigales industry leading unit. If anyone ever wants to see what the most amazing motorcycle dashboard looks like go look at a Panigale! pure visual sex on that dash.

edit: In fact check this out, this is what will be on the new monsters.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jnvu1L_OozQ

Damn, that does look pretty sweet. Gear indicator too? About time, haha.

I agree though, the bike looks a bit cluttered. Not as sleek as the ones we got.

Gritesh

Fuck my life!!!!!!

I just bought a new 1100 evo this past year and now they release this.

Man I can't catch a break. Oh well at least my evo will be paid off by the time this thing can hit the streets on alberta.

Fuck my life!!!!!!

I just bought a new 1100 evo this past year and now they release this.

Man I can't catch a break. Oh well at least my evo will be paid off by the time this thing can hit the streets on alberta.

Never buy a new model until it's 3rd iteration as they say. Enjoy your 1100 evo!

RustyO

There is a very slim chance that I may end up moving to the US in a bit, namely California, so a couple of questions for the Californians...

- My understanding/research is that it is legal to lane-split/filter in California?

- How do you find rider awareness / rider respect (from drivers)?

- Any comments on riding a bike in California? / Recommend rides / links to a good riding site? I presume the majority of bikes tend to lean towards crusisers? (Or am I brainwashed from TV?)

- Can you recommend the best site to look for secondhand bikes? And/or good dealers in LA or SF?

Unfortunately, I just recently found out that my "next" bike; has never been released in the US... so back to the drawing board if I do go to the US.

Gritesh

Never buy a new model until it's 3rd iteration as they say. Enjoy your 1100 evo!

Oh I know, I'll hold onto my evo for a few years now before making a move. Tried and true.

I probably wont buy another Monster anyways. Not that there is anything wrong with them, but I will more than likely keep mine for quite a long time, and pick something up from a different manufacturer as well, I mean, a guys gotta have choices right?

There is a very slim chance that I may end up moving to the US in a bit, namely California, so a couple of questions for the Californians...

- My understanding/research is that it is legal to lane-split/filter in California?

- Any comments on riding a bike in California? / Recommend rides / links to a good riding site? I presume the majority of bikes tend to lean towards crusisers? (Or am I brainwashed from TV?)

- Can you recommend the best site to look for secondhand bikes? And/or good dealers in LA or SF?

Unfortunately, I just recently found out that my "next" bike; has never been released in the US... so back to the drawing board if I do go to the US.

Lane splitting is legal

Drivers are ok. I personally haven't seen drivers act like assholes to riders as long as the riders aren't acting like squids.

California has a lot of diversity in riders and rides. From Mulholland, Big Sur, to the Pacific Coast Highway. Plenty of off road trails as well.

As for bikes, Craigslist.

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
I want to get a motorcycle this spring. Don't know what kind, will probably get whatever nice used option is available, but I like classic style.

California Highway Patrol has some general guidlines on laneplitting
http://www.chp.ca.gov/programs/lanesplitguide.html

Other drivers seem to be decent. I never had a problem on my commutes and a surprising number of drivers move over for bikes.

There should be plenty of websites available that have rider guides for California, also check out any youtube riders from whichever area you are moving to.
http://www.motorcycleroads.com/Routes/California_80.html

Craigslist and if you're in LA, Del Amo Motorsports, Chaparral Racing in San Bernandino are decent shops.

Fixed1979

Any chance on shipping it over?

Also here is the new BMW S1000 R. Based on the BMW 1000RR engine. Looking good but would to see it in the flesh

ps0DWoR.jpg

Highlights of the new BMW S 1000 R:

Liquid-cooled 999 cc four-cylinder in-line engine. Max. power 118 kW (160 hp) at 11,000 rpm, max. torque 112 Nm (approx. 83 ft-lb) at 9,250 rpm.
207 kg kerb weight with full fuel tank.
Standard-fitted Race ABS for superior braking performance and safety.
Standard-fitted ASC (Automatic Stability Control) for safe acceleration on surfaces with variable grip.
Standard-fitted steering damper.
Choice of two standard, rider-selectable riding modes, “Rain” and “Road”.
Optional Dynamic Traction Control DTC including Riding mode Pro maximises both riding enjoyment and active safety in all road situations.
Optional Riding mode Pro comprising two additional riding modes – “Dynamic” and “Dynamic Pro” – for road and track use.

RustyO

Any chance on shipping it over?

Probably not, but it has crossed my mind about buying it locally and importing it with me; but then have to deal with emission regulations; carnet de passage; and would require modification to change the driving side from left to right, so a lot of stuff to look into... and knowing my luck, Yamaha would release it stateside anyway then!

It's a Yamaha Tenere 660XTZ btw:

Yamaha%20XT660%20Tenere%2008%20%202.jpg

Funnily enough, the Yamaha Super Tenere is available stateside.

Just bought a new bike, 2012 panigale s. It's my first v-twin after riding an inline 4 for the last 7 years. Anyone have any tips on adjusting? I noticed this bike absolutely hates being below 4k rpm, so slow speed maneuvers are completely different. Also anyone used the race seat? Is it more comfortable than the plank-like stock one?

Just bought a new bike, 2012 panigale s. It's my first v-twin after riding an inline 4 for the last 7 years. Anyone have any tips on adjusting? I noticed this bike absolutely hates being below 4k rpm, so slow speed maneuvers are completely different. Also anyone used the race seat? Is it more comfortable than the plank-like stock one?

'Tis pretty. I have no idea about the seats, but I'd guess Ducati's "race" seat is similar to the one on the R model, which is worse. I'd look at 3rd party ones. Should be a forum for the Panigale/Superbike that has info. I know I'd replace the seat first thing.

The tendency to want to keep the revs high is not a typical twin feature. It really is odd to think you're riding a twin when on that bike. Short of gearing it down I think keeping it a gear lower or playing with the clutch more as needed when in first is something you'll just have to get used to.

If it's not already on the bike, check into getting the updated exhaust heat shield so you can have children some day if you so choose ;)

Just bought a new bike, 2012 panigale s.

Beautiful bike!

Also:

It's my first v-twin after riding an inline 4 for the last 7 years. Anyone have any tips on adjusting? I noticed this bike absolutely hates being below 4k rpm, so slow speed maneuvers are completely different.

Welcome to a Ducati superbike, it is not for slow maneuvers.

(Anything below 80 km/h on my 998 was agony in more ways than one.)

Other than that, race exhaust and ECU will probably allow it to breathe a little easier which will give you some more 'room' when you're rolling around town. Helped loads on my 1100s as well. Messing around with the gearing is another option, but I'd discuss that with the dealer because of the amount of electronics on that bike. Additionally, considering the amount of power that thing has, I'm not sure shorter gearing is a good idea. 'Usability' just isn't much of a priority with those bikes :p. Very cool though.

Funny enough, Fallout, short of the hard seat and ass/leg roast from the exhaust (though the one I rode did not have the updated heat shield) the Panigale is actually a very comfortable sport bike.

iamblades

Funny enough, Fallout, short of the hard seat and ass/leg roast from the exhaust (though the one I rode did not have the updated heat shield) the Panigale is actually a very comfortable sport bike.

Yeah, Ducati reworks their ergos to be more comfortable then gives you a red hot peice of cast iron to sit on.

lol.

I for one am really interested to see how the 899 works out in that department. Obviously it should be a lot cooler, and hopefully they realize they can actually spare the weight to put 6 ounces of foam padding in the seat.. :p

It was 75F today and I was definitely sweating on the ride home when I got stuck in traffic. Thanks for the advice everyone. There is a discounted upgrade to a 41 tooth rear sprocket so I may consider that (I think 39 is stock). I'm not considering exhaust mods as I think the bike is already way too loud. My apt complex's parking garage VIBRATES when I park the thing. And I was told by the dealer it needs 30 seconds of idling before I turn it off to prevent hard starting issues. Mirrors are useless (vibration), seat is a molten brick, and there is basically not partial throttle map below 4k RPM as far as I can tell, but it's incredibly fun to ride.

Edit: BTW I do have the heat shield upgrades.

They should be able to spare weight since they've already done so. The wet weight figure reported by Ducati (which is still bound to be lower than curb weight) is 11lbs heavier for the 899 compared to the 1199.

Even without the heat shield, it is a fixable problem. Even my bike had heat issues with the stock exhaust. Wasn't near the ass roast of the 1199, but I swapped out the exhaust still. The seat is a fixable problem. If I owned one I'd also gear it down some. I'd also likely do something with the rearsets and bars because there was a decent amount of vibration from the bike. Not sure what I'd try with the mirrors because they didn't work for me. And on a bright day, the cheapest mod (that I'd totally do - again, if I owned one) is black tape on the shiny triple tree that I found had a tendency to reflect on the dash :<

edit: I see the owner also shares some of my views haha! I wouldn't worry too much about the bike getting that much louder with aftermarket exhaust. Most come with DB eaters that you can leave in and it would probably stay around the same volume. Eliminating the catalytic converter is where you save on the heat. But, yeah...do look into the heat shield upgrade. I thought I heard Ducati was doing it for free.

Watevaman

Anyone have any heated gear? Looking at a lot of Firstgear stuff on Motorcycle Superstore and it looks cool, but it's also expensive if you want to be covered head to toe in heated stuff. I think the glove liner and jacket liner would be awesome but once it adds up with the controller and everything it's around 350 bucks which is a nice chunk of change.

No shit, they've come a long way then, though it has been ten years since the one I owned. It's too bad the 899 doesn't have a single sided swingarm or I would have been interested in that.

Dougald

Anyone have any heated gear? Looking at a lot of Firstgear stuff on Motorcycle Superstore and it looks cool, but it's also expensive if you want to be covered head to toe in heated stuff. I think the glove liner and jacket liner would be awesome but once it adds up with the controller and everything it's around 350 bucks which is a nice chunk of change.

I've got a keis heated vest + undergloves, was about £150 for both including the controller IIRC

I can't give too much of a review as it hasn't been cold enough to need them yet! I have tested them though and they seem pretty decent, but time will tell..

Top Bottom