• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2 wheel GAF UNITE!

Fixed1979

Just bought a new bike, 2012 panigale s. It's my first v-twin after riding an inline 4 for the last 7 years. Anyone have any tips on adjusting? I noticed this bike absolutely hates being below 4k rpm, so slow speed maneuvers are completely different. Also anyone used the race seat? Is it more comfortable than the plank-like stock one?

Nice buy! I was just watching videos over the weekend of a bunch of Panigale's, if I ever upgrade my balls and move to a city that has track days wouldn't mind jumping on one.

No shit, they've come a long way then, though it has been ten years since the one I owned. It's too bad the 899 doesn't have a single sided swingarm or I would have been interested in that.

It's the only Superbike I've ridden, but just sitting on them is a world of difference compared to even the 1098/1198 platform. The bars are taller, wider, and closer to the rider. The seat position makes you feel like you're sitting in the bike which is actually quite nice. I sit pretty tall so that was something I appreciated.

Ouch...they promised me I wouldn't even know it's there when I tested one! :p

Dropped the bike off yesterday at the shop. I'm just having the valve check/adjustment done. I'm going to learn how to change the fork oil myself. Getting a Pitbull triple tree front stand soon, so I'll probably try and do this when I get bored during the winter.

JoeMartin

Trackday op success. Didn't die, didn't dump the bike.

EDIT: Pictures. Whole album, ifn you're interested.

qXsAM0E.jpg
l3TmG6D.jpg
lYMbCc6.jpg
YvW6jYQ.jpg
MkaDArN.jpg
SH4tNYQ.jpg

That looks like allot of fun. I in the process of upgrading my riding gear and as soon as that is done then I will have to look at leathers. I would really like to do a track day on the to get rid of the flat spot in the center of the tyre.

Very nice lean angle

JoeMartin

Awesome, what track did you go to?

Jennings GP, in north central Florida. It's a bike only track, which is awesome, and it's only like 2 hours away from me, so I don't have to hotel or anything to get a day in.

trackmap.gif

EDIT: And just to avoid any confusion with the track marker in the shot, yesterday was backwards day.

That looks like allot of fun. I in the process of upgrading my riding gear and as soon as that is done then I will have to look at leathers. I would really like to do a track day on the to get rid of the flat spot in the center of the tyre.

Very nice lean angle

Thanks man. It was too much fun, ridiculous amounts of fun even.

Also the lean angle in the third shot is kind of a byproduct of me being bad and not getting me ass off the seat nearly as much as I should so I can counterweight the lean properly. These shots of from fairly early in the day, I pretty steadily picked up speed as we went and started dragging my pegs in 13 and 8 (which scares the shit out of you when you aren't mentally prepared for it). But had I gotten further off the seat and used my knee as a guide proper I could have held more speed through some of the turns.

GONZO

Jennings GP, in north central Florida. It's a bike only track, which is awesome, and it's only like 2 hours away from me, so I don't have to hotel or anything to get a day in.

trackmap.gif

EDIT: And just to avoid any confusion with the track marker in the shot, yesterday was backwards day.

Thanks man. It was too much fun, ridiculous amounts of fun even.

Also the lean angle in the third shot is kind of a byproduct of me being bad and not getting me ass off the seat nearly as much as I should so I can counterweight the lean properly. These shots of from fairly early in the day, I pretty steadily picked up speed as we went and started dragging my pegs in 13 and 8 (which scares the shit out of you when you aren't mentally prepared for it). But had I gotten further off the seat and used my knee as a guide proper I could have held more speed through some of the turns.

Have fun at the track man, great addiction. But get off the bike more, you're bike is dangerously close to max lean angle in some of those shots. Great that you were so aggressive on your first time out.

Dougald

It's starting to get COLD now. Did a run up to london with a pair of these givi muffs fitted yesterday:

41c19B7oQDL._SX300_.jpg

Highly recommended, they don't keep you warm but they do keep the wind off your hands completely, which stops them from getting cold. After about 30 minutes at motorway speeds I started to feel the chill, but until then I was fine with just my standard winter gloves on. Only problem I have is every time I put my hand in them I seem to knock the kill switch which cues a lot of fumbling.

I did a much longer (and colder) ride on Saturday, 100 miles each way and I used a pair of Keis heated inner gloves. These are a *much* better option than heated grips, keep your hands toasty warm. Only problem is it's a tight fit to get my regular gloves over the top.

I had to switch my heated grips on yesterday... so the cold is here. Next will be to put the lining back in my jacket but I am going to try and hold off.

Last year I was looking at a heated vest but it did not get very good reviews. I might revisit this option for this year.

Dougald

Wait what -30?

Yeah screw that. I can go up to about -5 before I would rather just die, which luckily is about as cold as it ever gets here

Fixed1979

Wait what -30?

Yeah screw that. I can go up to about -5 before I would rather just die, which luckily is about as cold as it ever gets here

CaAvrG8.png

Current weather...

After starting my car this morning and going back into the house it took about 15 minutes for the cold to leave my legs. This is usually around the temperature where I begin to ask myself if living here is worth it.

senahorse

My girlfriend and I ordered a couple of bikes today to do a little off-road adevnturing, probably 80% off-road and 20% on-road. She is relatively short and has no real riding experience (currently doing motorbike lessons for our licences) so for her we opted for a 2014 Yamaha XT250, for me we ordered a WR250R. We can't wait :D I will post picks when we get them next week.

friday

My girlfriend and I ordered a couple of bikes today to do a little off-road adevnturing, probably 80% off-road and 20% on-road. She is relatively short and has no real riding experience (currently doing motorbike lessons for our licences) so for her we opted for a 2014 Yamaha XT250, for me we ordered a WR250R. We can't wait :D I will post picks when we get them next week.

I would love to have a WR250R, that bike would be great for me in Brooklyn. I keep looking up bike stuff and doing research. I could afford to get a bike and gear but then I look at insurance...damn it is expensive here. I would like to have theft coverage but it adds so much to the cost. More than doubles the premium.

Washed the bike this weekend and man a bike just looks so much better when its clean. This mornings ride into the office it even felt that it was quicker lol

Dougald

Washed the bike this weekend and man a bike just looks so much better when its clean. This mornings ride into the office it even felt that it was quicker lol

Cold?

I've not been out on the bike since my trip up to Birmingham 3 weeks ago, this time of year not having to commute is a damn blessing.

Cold?

I've not been out on the bike since my trip up to Birmingham 3 weeks ago, this time of year not having to commute is a damn blessing.

I have two rules for riding

- if its raining when I leave for work I use the car. I dont mind riding in the rain back home
- if its 3 degrees and under I stay off the bike

Rest of the time I am out there enjoying every minute on the bike. I just wish my commute was a bit longer as the 8 miles is a bit short

Dougald

I don't like riding in the rain but if the missus is at work I don't have much choice as we only have one car between us

I just spray Mr Sheen on the visor (makes the rain run off), and ride just fast enough that I can see. If it's under 0C I don't like to go out unless I have no choice (it's urgent, and I can't arrange to have the car), more because I hate the cold.

As I pretty much only do spirited riding and track stuff, I stick to the warmer days. Below 50F is really getting to be too much. Even if I dress warmly enough, cold roads are not exactly the best for cornering. Those 85F+ days, while hot, make me feel like I'm just fucking glued to the road.

Dougald

Below 50F is okay, but you start getting into the realm of it being below freezing with wind-chill, so on long journeys you really need thermal layers and heated equipment to replace the heat lost to it

If you don't ride that much in winter and don't invest in it, then I don't blame you for not riding, it doesn't take long for you to turn to ice at speed even when it's relatively warm.

Sarcasm

Well I live in Taiwan, but it still relatively gets cold and there is rain/typhoons.

So yeah no snow lol but still >.<

I would still drive the scooter even if I had a car. Cold is much better than traffic doubling/trippling my commute if I took a car.

Dougald

In Taiwan I'd be more worried about the heat/humidity in the Summer. I doubt you wear all the safety gear that I wear, you'd probably pass out

My bikes are way too prissy to ride in the winter, haha. Can't handle the salt. Probably going to get back on 'em when March rolls around.

I have started work on the Buell though, or rather, my dad has and I'm helping him out. We did a front fork revision last weekend. Had some scary moments with inserting the new seal, but it seems we did everyhing correctly and both forks are now dry (front right fork was leaky as hell, that's why it needed the work).

Next weekend we're probably going to go in for the 'oil pump drive gear' and the gasket on the rear cylinder. After that it should be good for a little while.

Some pics (that's my dad in the first pic):

buell1pscbz.jpg

buell24guz2.jpg

buell34gj2a.jpg

buell4wdd0i.jpg

buell5atkck.jpg

(The Ducati is stored elsewhere at the moment)

Yeah it's interesting... The previous owner did a pretty good job of not ruining them considering how the bike is nearly 15 years old. Hope I can keep it up.

My bikes are way too prissy to ride in the winter, haha. Can't handle the salt. Probably going to get back on 'em when March rolls around.

I have started work on the Buell though, or rather, my dad has and I'm helping him out. We did a front fork revision last weekend. Had some scary moments with inserting the new seal, but it seems we did everyhing correctly and both forks are now dry (front right fork was leaky as hell, that's why it needed the work).

Next weekend we're probably going to go in for the 'oil pump drive gear' and the gasket on the rear cylinder. After that it should be good for a little while.

Some pics (that's my dad in the first pic):

buell1pscbz.jpg

buell24guz2.jpg

buell34gj2a.jpg

buell4wdd0i.jpg

buell5atkck.jpg

(The Ducati is stored elsewhere at the moment)

This looks like a nice project, I wish I had the space and a garage that is not -1 to work in. I was thinking of getting an old retro vespa and restoring and upgrading it as a first project... and then later move to something bigger. I had a 1986 R80GS bmw and had to sell it and I would love to buy an old one and fix it up.

Yup, great to do some work with your hands for once. Garage obviously courtesy of my parents, no chance in hell I can afford something like that.

Top Bottom