• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2 wheel GAF UNITE!

I do, in fact!

I bought a Shoei Neotec helmet last year to replace my old Raid II helmet (also Shoei) and while I do like the flip-up feature a lot (for slow cruising around town and being able to converse with a friend @ the lights), the helmet is a lot heavier than my old helmet, really noticeably so. To the point where I don't think I would buy one again. So if you can, look for one that also keeps the weight down to about 1350 grams, think my Neotec is near 1500 almost, or over maybe? I don't know, I got used to it, but it's something that's a bit of a shame.

Dougald

Hmm I hadn't considered the weight, thanks! Fit I suspect will be important as I've been spoilt by having an Arai for the last 3 years.

Pain of it is, since Hein Gericke UK and George White went bust I'm kinda limited on places to go and actually try a helmet on that don't also charge an arm and a leg (though I don't mind paying a bit more to support local stores)

Flo_Evans

I had a nolan flip up before (forgot the model), no where near the comfort go my Arai. I don't think they are near as strong either.

They are pretty convenient, I also wear glasses, and smoke, it nice to be able to take a drink or talk easily when stopped.

I think under speed though when you might need to use your helmet normal ones are quieter, and offer better protection.

Hmm I hadn't considered the weight, thanks! Fit I suspect will be important as I've been spoilt by having an Arai for the last 3 years.

Pain of it is, since Hein Gericke UK and George White went bust I'm kinda limited on places to go and actually try a helmet on that don't also charge an arm and a leg (though I don't mind paying a bit more to support local stores)

The hein gericke farnborough is still open and next door to them is infinity cycles with loads of helmets to fit on. Also look at the schuberth helmets for flip up and full face. I tried on loads but I have Shoei head....

http://www.infinitymotorcycles.com/stores/store.asp?id=7

I was bought one just before the launched this model with the built in visor that is really nice.

https://www.shoei-europe.com/uk/products/gt-air/

Shoei was the damn last brand to add this to the helmets. So summer I ride with a tinted visor and winter clear. Job done

Dougald

HG Farnborough is still open? I thought the last few stores went into administration again

Infinity I have been to (in fact, it's where I got my Arai), but they didn't list the Nolan on their site so I discounted them. Maybe I should just save a bit more for a Shoei Neotec

HG Farnborough is still open? I thought the last few stores went into administration again

Infinity I have been to (in fact, it's where I got my Arai), but they didn't list the Nolan on their site so I discounted them. Maybe I should just save a bit more for a Shoei Neotec

I thought they closed and then reopened as I was there end of last year to get my new helmet. Might be worth phoning infinity and asking them if they are still open.

Another place that a few guys at the office use is
http://www.megamotorcyclestore.co.uk/stores/

Fixed1979

So I just wanted to make a quick post on my experience thus far with SC-Project, in case anyone else ever considers using them. I knew going in this wasn't going to be like buying from Amazon, but I've now reached my limit on being jerked around. I'm pretty patient when it comes to deliveries as I deal with moving material around the world every day. Sometimes shit happens which causes a delivery to be missed, but so far they've been (as far as I can tell) completely dishonest.

From their website:
Due to the wide range of models and finishing available, delivery time can be expected within 3-8 working days (except for prompt deliveries) depending on the material and the model chosen with the order form.

So I place an order on the 6th and receive my notification to pay via Paypal the following morning. After I make my payment I get my Paypal confirmation but nothing from SC Project saying thanks for the payment or we got your money or anything. As of now according to the website the expected delivery would be around the 19th or 20th of March.

So about a week later I follow up and ask if they can confirm that they got my payment and let me know when the order might ship out.

SC Project (Mar 14) said:
Dear customer, your shipmen (sic) leaves in the next week.

Follow up with them the following week.

SC Project (Mar 21) said:
Dear customer, we are sorry but we have a delay.
Shipment leaves in the beginning of the next week.

I followed up again on the 26th, and instead of replying within 24 hours like they had in the past 5 days later I've received no response. I've sent them another e-mail this morning asking for a tracking number to be provided by the end of this week. If it's going to take 4-6 weeks for it to get here then just say so at the start and I'll wait for it, it's not like I'm going riding anytime soon (-23 here this morning). At this point regardless of what they come back with (unless it's a tracking number) I'm going to have a hard time believing them.

If they don't supply a tracking number by the end of the week I guess my next step is to file a dispute with PayPal and then with Visa...or am I being completely unreasonable here?

Flo_Evans

Rode the bike to work today, testing new screen and mirrors.

yIBGfpn.jpg

Not sure if I like the screen. I've tried all kinds of different positions but I am always getting a lot of noise/buffeting at high speeds. You do stay slightly warmer on brisk mornings but as soon as it gets proper hot outside I think I am going to take it off.

I like the new folding mirrors but they still vibrate pretty bad when you are on the gas, something you kind of just have to deal with on a big thumper :p

Still want to get a Renazco seat made for her, and I am probably due for another valve adjustment.

Come on spring! Hitting 60s and 70s this week.

Rode the bike to work today, testing new screen and mirrors.

yIBGfpn.jpg

Not sure if I like the screen. I've tried all kinds of different positions but I am always getting a lot of noise/buffeting at high speeds. You do stay slightly warmer on brisk mornings but as soon as it gets proper hot outside I think I am going to take it off.

I like the new folding mirrors but they still vibrate pretty bad when you are on the gas, something you kind of just have to deal with on a big thumper :p

Still want to get a Renazco seat made for her, and I am probably due for another valve adjustment.

Come on spring! Hitting 60s and 70s this week.

Now that looks like a well used bike... do you have a front view?

Flo_Evans

KYwY5Mn.jpg

What is weird is it looks like they cut the screen out for the headlight, but did it backwards lol.

5VzW1HY.jpg

Problems of a 1 year production bike :p

Flo_Evans

It does look weird... like the cut out of the screen is in the wrong place.

Yeah I suspect they made it from a flipped picture of the bike and not actually testing on one. Since I am not that big a fan of it I may do some more cutting on it and try to fix the buffeting and whack headlight cut out.

I suppose I could try and contact the company that made it but I ordered it from Argentina and it seems like more trouble than it is worth to see if they can make it right lol.

Windscreens suck, it's a myth that you'd be better protected with one. Unless it's fucking huge and really ungainly.

Awesome fucking bike though Flo, really love all the personal touches, the seat especially.

Flo_Evans

Well I get less wind on the chest, I can tell it is slightly less cold in the mornings. Not worth the extra wind at the head though.

I also need to try and do some aggressive off road maneuvers, I have a feeling its going to hit me square in the chest if I take some gnarly transitions.

Might kill me if I try and do this:

ktm-enduro-factory-racing-team-2011_1.jpg

with it on there :|

Watevaman

Windscreens suck, it's a myth that you'd be better protected with one. Unless it's fucking huge and really ungainly.

Awesome fucking bike though Flo, really love all the personal touches, the seat especially.

They're ok. I don't mind the shield I bought for my GS500 but I personally thing it looks a bit better with it off. And it's also a lot easier to tighten my tach and speedo cables without it, which I need to do very often because they seem to loosen up a ton.

Yeah I should clarify that the tiny ones actually do work as advertised. I have similar sizes on my bikes and they are perfect, but I dont really view them as actual screens :D

Dougald

The MRA screens with the adjustable section at the top work pretty well for wind deflection, but they still have the problem of adding noise to your head. I have a mini Dart screen on the Bonneville, and while it definitely changes the wind profile, I can't really say that it makes it any better than it was without it, I just like the look.

The only screen I had that made a positive difference was on my Pan European, and that definitely falls under the "big and ugly" exception. I couldn't even see over the top of it.

senahorse

Time for more upgrades for the WR250R and my gf's XT250. About 2 weeks ago we had some new tyres fitted, we went for something a little (but not too much) more aggressive Dunlop D606's for the rears and Pirelli MT21's for the front. Also the biggest (well most expensive upgrade yet) upgrade occurred about a week ago, we had the suspension redone on both bikes as we found the stock suspension a little lacking for off-road. The XT had it's lowering links removed that I originally installed in December and instead had the shocks professionally shortened (she is a little height challenged :)). The rear spring was swapped out and valve emulators installed in the front as well as everything else being adjusted. The WR had the rear spring swapped out readjusted, the front we kept the original springs but re-valved with gold valves. There was a bunch of other stuff done to them that I can't quite recall at the moment, e.g. had some bleeders fitted etc.

And that's just the beginning as I have had a number of things arrive in the mail over the last month and the last of my latest parts order just arrived for me to install.

• A new seat from Seat Concepts, it's a bit wider than stock seat which will be great for longer adventure style rides.
  • Set of GYTR Titanium pegs (much wider than the narrow stockers)
  • Set of oversized pegs for XT
  • PDM60 Power distribution module (great thing about the WR is there is so much excess power from the alternator for accessories). The PDM60 has 6 x power outlets with a total load capacity of 60Amps (far more than I will ever need), it also has an extra wire to tap into the ignition so I don't drain power when the bike is off, I can even program in a delay (e.g. turn accessory power on 8 seconds after I turn bike on).
  • Garmin Monterra GPS (I have loaded the Garmin Topo and stree maps and open maps for Australia)
  • Garmin AMPS rugged mount (this will be hard wired into the PDM60)
  • 2 x Powerlet ports (will fit flush in my HDB handlebar clamp, as there are pre-drilled holes for them)
  • Powerlet to 2 x USB port adapter (for charging phone, gopro, even tablet if I wanted to etc)
  • 2 x Giant Loop Diablo Pro tank bag (1 for gf's XT). This is for carrying smaller stuff (4L capacity), like phone, wallet, keys, gopro batteries etc. The bag also has a pass-through at the front for the USB cables to be run in.
  • 2 x Giant Loop Coyote saddle bag (1 for gf's XT). This will be for clothes (eventually camping gear), towels, shoes etc. At 39L capacity it will fit quite a bit and came with 3 convenient stuff sacks.
  • Pair of Sena SMH10R headsets for communication. Can't wait to test these out, they are meant to be really good for motorbike comms and apparently can get up to 900M (980Yards) range, pretty crazy for bluetooth. Reviews I have read don't quite get that distance but rave about the audio quality. We can even pair our mobile phones with them and make and receive calls.
  • Sena SM10 stereo bluetooth adapter. This item is pretty cool. It will be hard wired on my bike, the GPS will connect to it as well as an MP3 player. So both the GPS and music will be broadcast to both headsets (the music in stereo). And you can even set up the priority so for example, GPS takes highest priority, voice second, music lower etc.

*sigh* I think that's all of it for now, I will get some pics done once it's all installed. I have to set up all of this over the next week or two as we have some time off coming up and we wanted to go on our first mini adventure ride. This first one will probably only be 2 days and we want to try and stay off-road as much as possible.

Next upgrades (maybe later this year): Safari tank, after market header and muffler, fuel programmer, sprocket changes. I think I will wait a while though, I will get in major trouble if I go and attempt to spend more money any time soon :p

Dougald

Damn, you are really making that bike your own!

I'd be really interested to hear how the Bluetooth headsets are. I bought some cheap BT headsets for myself and a friend a few years ago, but we dumped them after we got back from our rideout because

- The battery life was so hideous they spent most of their time charging in a Pannier
- The range was LOS only, and terrible at that
- Audio quality was so bad that my friend had to have his directly over the ear, instead of under the helmet lining, causing him to want to rip said ears off after about half an hour

So feedback about headsets, we planed a trip from the uk to Germany and I was keen to get some intercom system for the then BMW 1200RT. I looked at quite a few and settled on the Interphone F5's. They where suppose to be top class with all the features you can think off. Luckily I got it from amazon.

After a week of using it every day in my full face helmet I sent it back. I was really keen to use the radio function on my trips home from work. That did not work well at all. Most of the time its searching for the station and even after the firmware update it stayed the same. Also between me and my wife at speeds anything higher that 60mph you start to scream and it just pissed us off. So we went back to the manual way.

As a tip... do a bit of reading as the stuff do change allot... and make sure when you buy you can return it. I even stuck mine into my helmet and amazon accepted the return without any questions.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00CBCRFHQ/

Hope this helps

Dougald

Wind noise was the BIG pain for us. I never had a problem in my Arai, but the wind profile of my friends HJC must have been different, because above 65mph he just couldn't hear me. As we spent a few days solidly doing 80 on the Autoroute going north and south, it made for some quiet, lonely rides.

The mounting bolts on mine broke the day we got back to the Channel tunnel and I ended up binning the thing when I got hime

Flo_Evans

Damn x3no5, get 'er done!

Giant loops are awesome everyone I know that has them loves them.

One thing I didn't see though is hand guards? A broken clutch or brake lever is no fun(neither are broken knuckles) if you plan to ride any single track they are pretty much required as you will catch a tree here and there.

Also keep I'm mind your suspension settings for hauling a lot of gear. On a small bike it will feel really weird at 1st. You usually want to add a little more preload. Try and keep the weight as low and centered as possible. Be careful about straps and shit touching the muffler and other hot shit.

Have fun!

senahorse

Damn, you are really making that bike your own!

I'd be really interested to hear how the Bluetooth headsets are. I bought some cheap BT headsets for myself and a friend a few years ago, but we dumped them after we got back from our rideout because

- The battery life was so hideous they spent most of their time charging in a Pannier
- The range was LOS only, and terrible at that
- Audio quality was so bad that my friend had to have his directly over the ear, instead of under the helmet lining, causing him to want to rip said ears off after about half an hour

Will do. Although I haven't personally tested them yet I did a lot of research on headsets and these seemed to get glowing ratings from everyone. There is a new model coming maybe next month as well which is meant to improve on a few things, we needed them before then though so that's just how it goes.

Damn x3no5, get 'er done!

Giant loops are awesome everyone I know that has them loves them.

One thing I didn't see though is hand guards? A broken clutch or brake lever is no fun(neither are broken knuckles) if you plan to ride any single track they are pretty much required as you will catch a tree here and there.

Also keep I'm mind your suspension settings for hauling a lot of gear. On a small bike it will feel really weird at 1st. You usually want to add a little more preload. Try and keep the weight as low and centered as possible. Be careful about straps and shit touching the muffler and other hot shit.

Have fun!

I know, I know, I swear I am running out of things to do :p

Handguards I have done already (highway dirtbike guards with integrated mirrors, which have already been dropped on a few times with barely a scratch), as well as going to 1 1/8 Pro Taper bars, B&B aluminium radiator guard, B&B bash plate, B&B master cylinder guard, Pro Taper pillow top grips and heavy duty tubes.

Regarding weight once we get all the adventure gear on I will readjust the clickers on the rear to help. Thanks for the tip about weight distribution, noted :). Also the saddle bags come with a little aluminium stand-off but I might put a bigger shield on with some clamps to ensure nothing touches the exhaust (both the XT, and WR already have a heat shield on the exhaust so that should help).

senahorse

For dual sports the MT21 front and D606 rear is a pretty popular combination, the D606 front isn't great and neither is the MT21 rear, but they work well together.

For dual sports the MT21 front and D606 rear is a pretty popular combination, the D606 front isn't great and neither is the MT21 rear, but they work well together.

My DR650 had MT21 front and D606 rear when I got it and it worked pretty well. Felt OK on a couple short freeway rides at 80mph. I just replaced them with a Kenda k270 rear and Shinko 244 front and that setup seems really good for street use, but 0 miles on dirt yet. Been busy moving and it's still a bit cold and rainy here.

I may be taking my motorcycle to Moab next month, we'll see how it work there.

senahorse

My DR650 had MT21 front and D606 rear when I got it and it worked pretty well. Felt OK on a couple short freeway rides at 80mph. I just replaced them with a Kenda k270 rear and Shinko 244 front and that setup seems really good for street use, but 0 miles on dirt yet. Been busy moving and it's still a bit cold and rainy here.

I may be taking my motorcycle to Moab next month, we'll see how it work there.

Please report back on how that combo goes off-road, although not perfect I am sure the MT21/D606 setup will work a fair bit better than the stock Trailwings I had :). Haven't had a chance to test them off-road yet but they faired ok for road use (up to ~70mph so far)

Watevaman

Me and a buddy went "offroad" today on our bikes:

offroadin_by_watevaman-d7dcm3o.jpg

ended up taking this gravel road up to the top of some mountains. sketchy as all get out but it was fun and we got a great view at the top.

Dougald

Is there anything that Suzuki GS can't do? Great bike, I did my test on one, and was the first time I enjoyed riding, having started on a CG125 and spent the whole time thinking riding wasn't for me.

Here in the UK we have to now have a BT adsl account to get the stupid channel or watch it on some sort of stream. Last year it was on tv for all to see and even iplayer.

Not happy about it... but hey there is ways around it.

ch0mp

Anyone here have a lot of experience riding with n the wet? Asking specifically about tram lines... had a fairly not-fun ride home yesterday having to cross parallel tram lines way too many times. Any advice appreciated.

Ever thought about riding in the snow? Just thought I would put this here.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=spaEzusTuCE

In 1951, 24 year old Bashin' Bill Barilko scored what is likely the most famous Stanley cup winning goal of all time. After five consecutive overtime games against the Montreal Canadians, his team, the Toronto Maple Leafs, achieved the ultimate glory and forever etched their place in history. Once he returned to the gritty mining town where he was born, his friend, Henry Hudson invited him on a last minute fishing trip. They climbed into his Fairchild float plane and left the surly bonds of earth....forever.

Anyone here have a lot of experience riding with n the wet? Asking specifically about tram lines... had a fairly not-fun ride home yesterday having to cross parallel tram lines way too many times. Any advice appreciated.

Not much you can do if there are load of them at different angles... just try and not lean too much and giving too much gas. If there are any sets of tracks try and go over them at an angle that gives the tyre the shortest contract. A 90 degree angle.

Hope that makes sense

Dougald

Keep it slow on the corners, and watch out for diesel. I've never had a problem with handling in the wet apart from when I hit a patch of diesel which caused my brakes to be almost non-existent. Regarding tramlines, I imagine they are about as hairy as the metal manhole covers I always manage to hit... just don't make any sudden movements and you should be ok.

My main problem with riding in the rain is visibility. I've found a few coats of Mr Sheen (spray on furniture polish) on the visor before you set out will help the rain run off more easily.

Flo_Evans

New bike window shopping...

Monster 1200 mmmm

xV315hx.jpg

Awesome V-strom

0LoQp3v.jpg

water cooled 12gs ready to rock

yh9PTFx.jpg

nine-T

EC9u8PO.jpg

Then my bro went actual shopping and bought this for like $8k

WycNwIr.jpg

aBwgiVq.jpg

I want a new bike too! :(

Watevaman

Everytime I go on the highway, I think more and more about buying something with some wind protection. I love nakeds but damn if I don't want to be able to cruise at highway speed for a few hours if needed.

Gritesh

So I had a son last week, my first and with spring approaching here in Canada and the riding season starting back up I'm seriously questioning if I will still enjoy riding as much. Not that I had little regard for my own safety before but now I feel that someone depends on me and if something happened to me out there I would feel horrible.

Any dads or moms on here that ride? How do you get over this feeling or has anyone struggled with it. I'm a careful and patient rider but the danger is always there...

Scared that I might have to sell the bike and walk away from riding if this feeling doesn't pass. I don't want to but at the same time I want to do what's best for my family...

Hoping this feeling will pass, to be clear it's not just with riding a motorcycle but with other aspects of life too, just thought I would share.

Flo_Evans

I have 2 kids. I was about to sell the bike when my 1st was born but my wife told me to keep it god bless her. Now my 3 year old would have a meltdown if I sold the bike.

Here he is checking out his uncles new ride:

I would say keep it. You are not going to have as much time to ride but as a new dad you will need some sort of stress relief. Your priorities will change drastically but you still need to maintain your hobbies or you will go insane.

Gritesh

Thanks for the reply.

Makes me feel better hearing from another dad. My wife says I should keep it too, I'll just have to be extra extra attentative out there and start riding for the relaxation side of things if nothing else.

New bike window shopping...

Monster 1200 mmmm

xV315hx.jpg

Awesome V-strom

0LoQp3v.jpg

water cooled 12gs ready to rock

yh9PTFx.jpg

nine-T

EC9u8PO.jpg

Then my bro went actual shopping and bought this for like $8k

WycNwIr.jpg

aBwgiVq.jpg

I want a new bike too! :(

Cannot go wrong with getting the BMW Adv (Mothership as its called in South Africa). Awesome piece of kit and I hope he enjoys it.

That Monster is a nice looking bike... never test rode one and always keen to get to know one better.

Thanks for the reply.

Makes me feel better hearing from another dad. My wife says I should keep it too, I'll just have to be extra extra attentative out there and start riding for the relaxation side of things if nothing else.

Same here, I have always had a bike... if I move to a new country its the first thing I buy. Its like a good set of Marks and spencers underpants. You always need it :)

Anyone here have any experience with Hyosung bikes? I see quite a few around and they aren't that expensive either. The 250 and 650 are both learner legal and nice looking bikes.

I posted in here a long time ago when I was looking around again for bikes but never went through with it but am getting ready to bite the bullet. I had my learners about 10 years ago but a week into riding I crashed when a cat ran out in front of me. My mum after that was crying and got down on her knees and begged me not to ride motorbikes. I gave in because I could see how much stress it caused her, but always wanted to ride as I just love everything about motorcycles. My mother passed away four years ago so I can now ride without that feeling that its stressing my mum out. btw I know it seems childish that I gave into my mum as an adult but yeah it just showed just how worried my mum always was.

My goal bike after learning is a little bit out of the ordinary as most go to 600cc or above, but I love the Aprillia RS250.

Top Bottom