• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2 wheel GAF UNITE!

And then a bit of a custom flair.... damn that rear end looks sweet with the under seat pipes

TAotDMV.jpg

Gritesh

I'm working across the street from the tri dealer today I'll be going in there at lunch...mostly for db gear but man those speed triples look good.

Dougald

She wants whatevers cheap, CBF is probably out of her price range, so I guess an old CG125. Was looking at the chinese knock-offs until I pointed out they can't even do 70mph. Wouldn't be seen dead on a scooter I'm afraid, she wants a fireblade. Thinks my Bonneville isn't racy enough.

Really I think she'll get the taste and end up going for a DAS license before getting a 125, for the same money she could get a ratty but still good GS 500

Looking more and more like the Street or nothing, I think. Something lighter is more appealing, plus the insurance won't be so much.

Yeah that Street looks like more than enough for just about any situation.

The only thing I prefer on the older bikes are the high mounted pipes.

Sat on a few bikes tonight... I was pleasantly surprised to learn that I could totally get by with the height of the Honda CRF250L and the Suzuki DRZ400SM (despite my short legs). Feels good man.

GF liked the back seat of the Honda CB500X, said it was much more comfy than the Ninja 250R I have currently.

She wants whatevers cheap, CBF is probably out of her price range, so I guess an old CG125. Was looking at the chinese knock-offs until I pointed out they can't even do 70mph. Wouldn't be seen dead on a scooter I'm afraid, she wants a fireblade. Thinks my Bonneville isn't racy enough.

Really I think she'll get the taste and end up going for a DAS license before getting a 125, for the same money she could get a ratty but still good GS 500

Looking more and more like the Street or nothing, I think. Something lighter is more appealing, plus the insurance won't be so much.

Yes the street also sound very nice... it just looks like a really nice fun bike to ride. One day to go.

Dougald

Just got back.... I test rode the Street Triple R with a quick shifter (which is AWESOME)

(you can see my mate in the background gingerly bringing the Rocket III back in)

Great fun, my only problems were:

- Like pretty much every bike, I can't flat-foot it. Though the standard street 3 is a little lower
- Leaning forward a bit more than I'm used to, but it's not too bad, just need to build the muscles in my wrists

Great to ride, really light and nimble, and the power comes on as soon as you twist the throttle, whatever gear you're in. I think I'm sold on looking for an ABS unit - decided that I'd like my next bike to have ABS as a friend of mine just totalled his R6 by locking up the front wheel trying to avoid a collision. Riding the Bonneville back on the motorway was kinda depressing in comparison

Just got back.... I test rode the Street Triple R with a quick shifter (which is AWESOME)

(you can see my mate in the background gingerly bringing the Rocket III back in)

Great fun, my only problems were:

- Like pretty much every bike, I can't flat-foot it. Though the standard street 3 is a little lower
- Leaning forward a bit more than I'm used to, but it's not too bad, just need to build the muscles in my wrists

Great to ride, really light and nimble, and the power comes on as soon as you twist the throttle, whatever gear you're in. I think I'm sold on looking for an ABS unit - decided that I'd like my next bike to have ABS as a friend of mine just totalled his R6 by locking up the front wheel trying to avoid a collision. Riding the Bonneville back on the motorway was kinda depressing in comparison

Well that is great news... All my bike I had before the K1300s was more upright riding style and you will get use to it very quick. As soon as you get upto say 50mph the wind on your chest will pull you back taking the pressure off your wrists.

That is a great looking bike and are you happy with the light and how it feels when you doing slow speed riding? Also what is the price range for one you are looking at?

Damn nice day for riding a bike today

Dougald

Hah yes I don't think I could have chosen the weather better myself! Slow speed was good, though the steering lock is a lot less than I'm used to, but it's nice and light. I did a little bit of filtering and it seemed okay there too, the bike is pretty comfortable to ride at town speeds of 30-40mph, which is good.

I'm looking at between £5-6000, which should realistically mean a 2011-2013 standard street triple. Gonna have a go at selling the Triumph privately first, though I have the sales guy at Triumph looking for a decent used option, if he finds one first I'll probably trade in.

Hah yes I don't think I could have chosen the weather better myself! Slow speed was good, though the steering lock is a lot less than I'm used to, but it's nice and light. I did a little bit of filtering and it seemed okay there too, the bike is pretty comfortable to ride at town speeds of 30-40mph, which is good.

I'm looking at between £5-6000, which should realistically mean a 2011-2013 standard street triple. Gonna have a go at selling the Triumph privately first, though I have the sales guy at Triumph looking for a decent used option, if he finds one first I'll probably trade in.

Sweet man... let the sales dude work for his money.

Dougald

The guy at Jack Lilley in Staines is a stand-up bloke to be fair. First sales guy I've ever met where it doesn't feel like he's actively trying to rip me off, so I'd prefer to get it from them if I can.

Dougald

Sigh, writing an ad to sell my Bonneville, and now I'm getting depressed. I never have a problem selling a car, I think because riding a motorcycle is such a personal experience, it makes it hard to let it go. It was hard enough selling the Fazer, and I'd only had that a year, it wasn't an awesome classic, and it hadn't taken me to Monaco!

Onwards an upwards, I've already half decided that in about 3 years I want to sell the Street 3 and buy a Rocket... that thing is incredible. I've never seen such a huge grin on my friends face as when he stepped off that bike. 150 horsepower, but also 150 lb-ft of torque, pulls like a freight train.

Sigh, writing an ad to sell my Bonneville, and now I'm getting depressed. I never have a problem selling a car, I think because riding a motorcycle is such a personal experience, it makes it hard to let it go. It was hard enough selling the Fazer, and I'd only had that a year, it wasn't an awesome classic, and it hadn't taken me to Monaco!

Onwards an upwards, I've already half decided that in about 3 years I want to sell the Street 3 and buy a Rocket... that thing is incredible. I've never seen such a huge grin on my friends face as when he stepped off that bike. 150 horsepower, but also 150 lb-ft of torque, pulls like a freight train.

Hey man... its not fun selling a bike that you really like... I had a 1986 R80GS that had to go as I was moving to the UK but man that was a sweet ride. Old but great.

I saw a guy this morning with this beast... think this is much more than the rocket but damn this is a mean machine

RmytYCc.jpg

Yep I've been eyeing a Diavel as well. It doesn't look as good as my Monster but I really appreciate the idea of that bike. I would have to trade in all my bikes to get anywhere near it though. And I don't think I can ever part ways with my dear Buells.

Dougald

"Nothing Special" to you maybe, but it's great to see everyone's local scenery! I'd have to ride a long way to see anything like that, looks awesome, if bloody hot.

I'll make an effort to get some pics up of the backroads of the British Home Counties sometime. I was too concerned with getting a drink/lunch to take any shots on my way to the pub last week, so just the car park photo is all I have

Finally got out of Phoenix to do a good bit of riding. I think I did nearly 300 miles this morning. Here are a few pics. Nothing special but this thread needs more pics of people out and about.

Agreed, nice to see bikes and owners in there environment. I have also decided to mount the go pro to my helmet after long uuuuming and aaahing as I don't want to stick it it the helmet. But this morning ride would have been awesome on video.

Looks like you had fun and its really nice country side where you rode

Thanks.

It really is great riding is Az: tons of elevation changes, smooth roads, a wide variety of landscapes, and 365 days of clear skies. My only complaint is my bike really felt slow on some of those roads where the de facto speed limit is 85-90 mph. While my little bike can easily cruise at that speed for long periods of time, but it certainly is not comfortable . Thus, the search for a bigger bike begins. Im not entirely sure what I want yet, but something faster, much faster. Thoughts/Suggestions?

Dougald

Upgrade to the bigger GS? Should have plenty of grunt, though it's a lot heavier. I loved it when I rode it

Get yourself down to some dealerships and do plenty of test rides, that's the answer! At least in the UK, they don't tend to mind even if you're clearly not a serious buyer of a new bike

Thanks.

It really is great riding is Az: tons of elevation changes, smooth roads, a wide variety of landscapes, and 365 days of clear skies. My only complaint is my bike really felt slow on some of those roads where the de facto speed limit is 85-90 mph. While my little bike can easily cruise at that speed for long periods of time, but it certainly is not comfortable . Thus, the search for a bigger bike begins. Im not entirely sure what I want yet, but something faster, much faster. Thoughts/Suggestions?

Agreed, the big brother 1200GS is a massive step up and for those roads it would be great. I did not know that you guys have that high speed limits...

Also look at the KTM 990.... both very capable duel sport bikes but can get a handfull if you run into trouble. Also maybe go and try and new 800GS.

Upgrade to the bigger GS? Should have plenty of grunt, though it's a lot heavier. I loved it when I rode it

Get yourself down to some dealerships and do plenty of test rides, that's the answer! At least in the UK, they don't tend to mind even if you're clearly not a serious buyer of a new bike

Agreed, the big brother 1200GS is a massive step up and for those roads it would be great. I did not know that you guys have that high speed limits...

Also look at the KTM 990.... both very capable duel sport bikes but can get a handfull if you run into trouble. Also maybe go and try and new 800GS.

Sadly I think those bikes might be a little out of my price range. Also, I am not sure I want to stick with a dual sport (Driving off road is hard). I really liked those street/speed triples discussed a few pages back. I also am thinking of a Honda or Yamaha sport bike ( CBR600, CBR1000, R6, R1, or FZ1).

Scraped a toe slider when practicing tonight. Lead to some googling. And thus I learned that scooting my butt over + less lean angle is the correct approach.

(2012 Ninja 250R)

Just picked got my first bike (er scoot) BV 350. Really fun to run around SF. Can't wait to take it around the coast.

Took the MSF course a week ago and had to get a bike as soon as I got my M1, very addicting to ride around with such power.

Dougald

Sadly I think those bikes might be a little out of my price range. Also, I am not sure I want to stick with a dual sport (Driving off road is hard). I really liked those street/speed triples discussed a few pages back. I also am thinking of a Honda or Yamaha sport bike ( CBR600, CBR1000, R6, R1, or FZ1).

Even an old R1150GS?

Anyway, if you're thinking about getting shot of that style of bike, then looking at that is moot... Get to some dealers, do some test rides! Of course I can recommend the Street Triple after having just ridden/decided to buy one, but you might hate it

Makes sense... then a nice sport bike or even a super sport. Just remember the sportier the bike is the more its going to cost to run... insurance and so on. Well that applies here in the uk. If you are young and want to ride the nice stuff then you going to pay.

Keep us posted and get what you like.... no one likes riding a bike they dont like the look of

Dougald

Phew, part exchange prices are a joke. Reckon I can get at least a grand more than I was quoted for my bike.. and hopefully I will!

Dougald

Yep, they knocked about 800 quid of what I'd consider to be a fair trade in price due to it needing 2 new brake discs

..When in fact, really, it could "probably" use a new back one, and neither came up in the MOT. And changing both is only £250 of parts max, and a job so simple even I could do it

Yep, they knocked about 800 quid of what I'd consider to be a fair trade in price due to it needing 2 new brake discs

..When in fact, really, it could "probably" use a new back one, and neither came up in the MOT. And changing both is only £250 of parts max, and a job so simple even I could do it

Its always going to be a big loss for the end user when trading in a older bike. They will give you more if you are buying a new bike as they can cover the cost somewhere else.

Dougald

Yep, at the end of the day the salesman is trying to meet a certain percentage and I can respect that. Doesn't mean I have to take it!

Just picked got my first bike (er scoot) BV 350. Really fun to run around SF. Can't wait to take it around the coast.

Took the MSF course a week ago and had to get a bike as soon as I got my M1, very addicting to ride around with such power.

i owned one of these as daily commuter for a year. a great scoot with a good midrange kick.

Izayoi

Banned
My first (street) bike:

2013 SFV650, color is as pictured. I'm picking it up on Thursday, super excited!

Anyone have links to good beginner tips and the like? I used to ride dirt bikes a lot when I was younger, but I know that the street is completely different...

Dougald

My first (street) bike:

2013 SFV650, color is as pictured. I'm picking it up on Thursday, super excited!

Anyone have links to good beginner tips and the like? I used to ride dirt bikes a lot when I was younger, but I know that the street is completely different...

Congrats! The SFV650 is a great starter "big" bike, or at least so I've been told by a previous owner

I found this page pretty useful when I was first starting out. As a beginner I'd say the biggest things to bear in mind are to always look where you want to go (especially important if you already drive) - stare into the vanishing point on corners, etc. The other thing to do is be constantly wary of cars pulling out of junctions - as a narrower object on the road you're less likely to trigger a drivers peripheral vision and suffer the inevitable SMIDSY (Sorry Mate, I Didn't See You). Ride like you're invisible.

My first (street) bike:

wow nice first bike... my dad always said don't try and show off and you have a higher chance of having a spill in the first 5000miles of owning any new bike... as you can get very comfortable very quickly and then you can run into trouble. Bike riding is very logical just keep both wheels on the ground for the first couple months. Always ride so that you and the bike can ride the next day again. Sounds very old school but it worked for me.

Fixed1979

Congrats on the purchase! Take your time getting used to the bike and riding in general. If you're riding with your buds (or mates if you're on the other side of the pond) don't feel the need to keep up with them, ride within your limit...which will most likely be pretty low starting off. If you're not doing a course then spend some time watching riding techniques on Youtube, there's a wealth of information out there, no reason not to take advantage of it. Ride safe and have a fun, don't forget to post some pictures!

Izayoi

Banned
Thanks for the advice, guys! I will post pictures as soon as I get it home.

Congrats! The SFV650 is a great starter "big" bike, or at least so I've been told by a previous owner

I found this page pretty useful when I was first starting out. As a beginner I'd say the biggest things to bear in mind are to always look where you want to go (especially important if you already drive) - stare into the vanishing point on corners, etc. The other thing to do is be constantly wary of cars pulling out of junctions - as a narrower object on the road you're less likely to trigger a drivers peripheral vision and suffer the inevitable SMIDSY (Sorry Mate, I Didn't See You). Ride like you're invisible.
Thanks for that website! I've already learned several things I didn't know. Much appreciated.

Yeah, that's the best advice anyone can give you Iza. Congrats on the bike, post some pics when you get the actual thing :).
It's being hammered into me, and I will take it to heart. My parents ride as well and that's what they tell me as well (in addition to taking it slow for a while, being careful to never get overconfident no matter how much experience I have).

wow nice first bike... my dad always said don't try and show off and you have a higher chance of having a spill in the first 5000miles of owning any new bike... as you can get very comfortable very quickly and then you can run into trouble. Bike riding is very logical just keep both wheels on the ground for the first couple months. Always ride so that you and the bike can ride the next day again. Sounds very old school but it worked for me.
I intend to keep both wheels on the ground forever... Not looking to do anything too crazy. I mainly bought it for the fact that I'm tired of paying out the asshole for gas, and my car gets shit gas mileage. Added bonuses are fun and the sex machine factor.

Congrats on the purchase! Take your time getting used to the bike and riding in general. If you're riding with your buds (or mates if you're on the other side of the pond) don't feel the need to keep up with them, ride within your limit...which will most likely be pretty low starting off. If you're not doing a course then spend some time watching riding techniques on Youtube, there's a wealth of information out there, no reason not to take advantage of it. Ride safe and have a fun, don't forget to post some pictures!
I'm in the US, Pacific Northwest. Toooons of great roads out here, I'm looking forward to tackling them. My friends who own bikes are infrequent riders, and most of them are on 250s... I'm not too concerned about getting reckless around them. My brother and I got bikes together (he got a 2013 Aprilia Shiver 750), and we intend to take it slow and learn together.

Top Bottom