• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2 wheel GAF UNITE!

My first (street) bike:

2013 SFV650, color is as pictured. I'm picking it up on Thursday, super excited!

Anyone have links to good beginner tips and the like? I used to ride dirt bikes a lot when I was younger, but I know that the street is completely different...

this was my starter bike if i don't count the abused shiver 750 i got from my brother's neighbor. it's a GREAT bike with a wonderful engine, and can last you your riding career if you don't get starry-eyed. i miss mine...

edit: holy shit, your BROTHER got a shiver? QUIT COPYING MY LIFE. where you at in the pnw?

edit edit: if you are picking up the sfv from bellevue kawasaki, THAT'S MY OLD BIKE. i treated it well (never dropped, always garaged and cleaned, frequent oil changes and chain maintenance) and it has some good farkles (m4 exhaust, rizoma grips, shogun frame sliders, vibranator bar ends)

Izayoi

Banned
We got them at RIDE in Woodinville. We live in the valley, out toward Monroe.

They're both brand new bikes, odometers read 1. Never on a show floor, they both sat in a crate for a year.

I'm very glad to hear about not out-growing it. That's what I was aiming for. Guy tried to pressure me into a 250, but I figured with previous experience on larger dirt bikes, and who knows how many hours logged on a regular ol' pedal device, that I would be better off with a 650 - something with enough power, that I won't outgrow, but not too big. My parents ride cruisers and they're super heavy and scary - I don't think I will ever ride one for more than a few minutes.

ah, i know bill and jackson at ride. (i've fixed bill's laptop for him a couple times now.) their service department are good dudes.

the sfv 650 has a bit of a notchy throttle and seat made of pure sadism, but it is supremely well-balanced, has a broad friction zone for clutch engagement, and has a near-perfect gearbox. i think it's a GREAT starter. if you really fall in love with it, GET THE GEL SEAT POST-HASTE. (and dump the ugly-ass exhaust for something that lets that v-twin roar.) also, DAT TORQUE CURVE. (mmmm, v-twins)

if you ever wanna ride, just msg me on here. i'm usually out and about on saturday/sunday mornings. i know a few lazy starter routes. and while i admit to being a total throttle junkie and curve hound, i don't mind takin' it slow and smelling the roses^H^H^H^H^Hduvall compost from time to time.

also, tell your bro to go easy on the shiver's front brakes. they bite and the fork dives. JUST SAYIN'

some slightly more specific tips i don't see frequently:

learn to preload upshifts, and rev match downshifts. sooner you figure these out, the smoother you'll be overall. (you'll find the sfv650 is a great, forgiving trainer for "advanced" tricks like clutchless upshifting.)

when scanning, watch the front wheels of people looking to merge. that's the tell, moreso than their faces.

when riding in stop-and-go (parade speeds with friction zone work), LOOK UP. don't look at the bumper of the car in front of you. i rode for almost five miles at 2-4 mph never putting a foot down, with a cop behind me, and he later pulled up beside me to ask me what my trick was. i said I NEVER LOOK AT THE ROAD. (for the record, this ALSO killed my left hand. thinking of this still makes it convulse. SUCH CARPAL PAIN)

when stopped in traffic, angle off to a clear side (escape path). check your six in your mirrors, and BE IN FIRST until there is a car stopped behind you. (you may need to suddenly jet if someone isn't slowing down behind you for the stop, suchy as a chronic texter.) don't pop it into neutral until you got someone stopped behind you. (this has saved me countless times.)

practice threshold braking on the regular. (i do this in canyon park parking lots for 30 mins every couple weeks.) threshold braking is getting up to a good speed and trying to stop as smoothly and quickly as you can without locking up the back end.

wave at scooters. they're cool people, too!

hm, we seem to have a fair few east side folks. friend of mine who lurks here just bought a zero sr. maybe i should schedule a NEOGAF SEATTLE BIKE NIGHT...

Izayoi

Banned
I've already considered the gel seat, found one on eBay for cheaper than Suzuki with free shipping.

What do you think about the M4 as an exhaust replacement? I've heard a lot of endorsements for it on the svrider forums, and it's reasonably priced...

I will definitely hit you up at some point, but I want to get my feet under me first... I will be very pokey for the first month or two.

Not the best photo but it was from last Sunday rideout to Alton. So nice and cool early in the morning such a nice ride

MU24LIK.jpg

Dougald

Not the best photo but it was from last Sunday rideout to Alton. So nice and cool early in the morning such a nice ride

MU24LIK.jpg

Nice, that up near the BMW dealership? I tried to get up there in February but the road was flooded out..! Will be tentatively riding down to West Meon myself this weekend, if I still have the bike..

in port angeles

Such an awesome bike, awesome location... jealous!

Nice, that up near the BMW dealership? I tried to get up there in February but the road was flooded out..! Will be tentatively riding down to West Meon myself this weekend, if I still have the bike..

Its just opposite the Loomies Cafe.... could not get parking there as there was just so many bikes.

Dougald

Its just opposite the Loomies Cafe.... could not get parking there as there was just so many bikes.

Hah, pretty much the same place then as where I'm gonna try and get to this weekend.. Of course if I've sold the Bonneville before then I won't be too disappointed

Had one bloke give me a ridiculous lowball on it through eBay so far (20% under my asking price). Should be in today's MCN though!

Hah, pretty much the same place then as where I'm gonna try and get to this weekend.. Of course if I've sold the Bonneville before then I won't be too disappointed

Had one bloke give me a ridiculous lowball on it through eBay so far (20% under my asking price). Should be in today's MCN though!

Good luck man...

Dougald

how bmw can make such a gorgeous bike (dat swingarm, drool) and have such crappy stickers/logos is beyond me. then again, kawi is just as bad...

That swingarm is absolutely awesome. In fact the bike looks boss from behind. Only reason I was looking at the Speed Triple, to be honest. BMW-wise, I'm more a fan of the "weird" looking K1300R:

KRJeHES.jpg

Someone else lowballing me at 3 grand for the bike. I thought the British didn't like to haggle? (well, apparently not as no-one ever counters my counteroffer - like I'm gonna immediately accept £500 off the asking price when the bikes been listed for 2 days)

how bmw can make such a gorgeous bike (dat swingarm, drool) and have such crappy stickers/logos is beyond me. then again, kawi is just as bad...

They have never been strong on the colour front. Man my 1150GS was a mustard colour.. lol. The 1000RR is also much better in the colour department.

That swingarm is absolutely awesome. In fact the bike looks boss from behind. Only reason I was looking at the Speed Triple, to be honest. BMW-wise, I'm more a fan of the "weird" looking K1300R:

KRJeHES.jpg

Someone else lowballing me at 3 grand for the bike. I thought the British didn't like to haggle? (well, apparently not as no-one ever counters my counteroffer - like I'm gonna immediately accept £500 off the asking price when the bikes been listed for 2 days)

I was also looking at one before I went for the S model but man such a small screen you need velcro everywhere so you can stay attach to the bike when you start playing with the power. haha

Thoughts on the Honda NM4/Vultus? I quite like it, though not sure I'd actually ever buy one...

Personally, I think that the design is interesting, but I would have to test ride one before I made up my mind. Unlike most of you guys in here I am a cruiser guy. Not really a fan of sport bikes.

Watevaman

It reminds me of a recumbent bicycle. I'm not saying I wouldn't own one, but I'd only buy it if I had another more "normal" bike to go alongside it. It's pretty far out there.

Dougald

Personally, I think that the design is interesting, but I would have to test ride one before I made up my mind. Unlike most of you guys in here I am a cruiser guy. Not really a fan of sport bikes.

But it IS a cruiser... apart from the styling! Which I guess is 99% the point of owning a cruiser, and why I want one in a few years.. My main issue with that Honda would be the automatic/semi-auto gearing, takes half the fun away. I think if I was going for a cruiser I'd go for a Triumph, or Guzzi California:

HiOl3wV.jpg

But it IS a cruiser... apart from the styling! Which I guess is 99% the point of owning a cruiser, and why I want one in a few years.. My main issue with that Honda would be the automatic/semi-auto gearing, takes half the fun away. I think if I was going for a cruiser I'd go for a Triumph, or Guzzi California:
I meant more that my tastes are different than a large portion of this thread. I think the bike looks nice, but like you said, the gearing is a little iffy. I like my manual. I have a 2001 Honda Shadow VLX Deluxe (VT600CD). I am looking into upgrading to a Shadow Phantom though.

Izayoi

Banned
Yesssssss. It rides like a fucking dream. The throttle is a bit on/off at times it seems like, but that might just be the heavy engine breaking. I love it, can't wait to get out and ride this weekend.

Doug showing my brother his bike before we took it off the lot.

Sorry about imgur, abload isn't working for me right now. I will post more later!

Dougald

Yesssssss. It rides like a fucking dream. The throttle is a bit on/off at times it seems like, but that might just be the heavy engine breaking. I love it, can't wait to get out and ride this weekend.

Doug showing my brother his bike before we took it off the lot.

Sorry about imgur, abload isn't working for me right now. I will post more later!

Looking good! That matt-ish finish on the fairing looks really nice. Engine braking is the biggest thing to get used to with a bike, you probably won't even notice the throttle after a couple weeks, until you get back in a car and discover you have to use the brake pedal.

I do like that R25 in red/white.. or any Yamaha in Red/White really! They seem to be going all-out to capture the new crazy power-band markets in the EU. I honestly don't even know what you can ride at what age now over here, the rules seem to be written to try and stop people riding

HiOl3wV.jpg

Damn that is a good looking clean bike.

Dougald

Guzzi have a habit about looking at all the other bikes in a class, then building something completely different. If it weren't so expensive I'd be buying a California for that trademark sideways V-Twin alone.

As much as I like cruisers I never find myself cruising. It would be nice to have just loads of time to tour around on one of those bikes. Also a place where its dry and sunny for instance Spain or around there.

Dougald

Cruisers aren't particularly suited to our narrower, twisty European roads, is the problem. Plus you can't filter on them! Mind you I owned a behemoth Pan European so what do I know.

On a long trip is really where they shine.

Sometimes I do find myself able to get into that cruising mindset when I ride the Buells. Perhaps it's cause I love the brand so much. I'm just chugging along at a relaxed pace, looking down at that little logo on the tach and basking in the glory of actually owning such an odd, yet awesome bike.

Though yeah it is rare. Usually I'm just hoping I'm not stuck behind a car for that one good bend that's coming up.

/edit: update on my friend's buying plans. He's got someone else coming in next week to take a look at his FZ6 and he's now leaning more towards this 2010 Speed Triple 1050 than the Monster 1100. We're probably going down there later next week to take a look at it.

Dougald

A Bonneville is great for that as you can chuck it into corners in a way you just can't do with a cruiser. But there is a limit to what you do, I find I'm generally scraping my footpegs on roundabouts these days without even trying..

Watevaman

Well, dropped my bike again yesterday (from a standstill), right onto the clutch lever that I broke doing the same exact thing a few months ago.

It broke again.

^ no! what happened? You have to put a foot down when you stop man :D

A Bonneville is great for that as you can chuck it into corners in a way you just can't do with a cruiser. But there is a limit to what you do, I find I'm generally scraping my footpegs on roundabouts these days without even trying..

Perhaps you should also take a look at a Buell then ;)

Watevaman

^ no! what happened? You have to put a foot down when you stop man :D

Perhaps you should also take a look at a Buell then ;)

haha, both times it was a matter of me thinking my kickstand was fully down when it wasn't

this second time I was like "oh god, not again" as I was trying my best to keep it from hitting the ground.

Dougald

Hah, a mate of mine once saw a bloke pull up at the traffic lights in his classic Triumph, stop... and go right over on the road. Turned out the poor guy had just taken the sidecar off for the first time in 2 years and forgot he needed to put his foot down!

As someone who has managed to drop every bike he ever owned (well, "almost" dropped the Yamaha, caught it as it was rolling off the sidestand in my drive), I can sympathize.

Watevaman

Haha. When I first got my bike, my cousin wanted to take it for a spin, so I hopped in his truck and followed him around the neighborhood. First stop sign we came to, he was messing around, wiggling the bike back and forth, and he almost lost it. Me, being damn concerned, hopped out of the truck and ran to him to help him get the bike lifted up straight. Needless to say, I forgot to put his truck in park and I looked back to it rolling towards us. Luckily, I hopped in and got on the brakes just in time, but damn it, bikes make me do the craziest things.

Haha. When I first got my bike, my cousin wanted to take it for a spin, so I hopped in his truck and followed him around the neighborhood. First stop sign we came to, he was messing around, wiggling the bike back and forth, and he almost lost it. Me, being damn concerned, hopped out of the truck and ran to him to help him get the bike lifted up straight. Needless to say, I forgot to put his truck in park and I looked back to it rolling towards us. Luckily, I hopped in and got on the brakes just in time, but damn it, bikes make me do the craziest things.

This would make a good youtube video. But yes a bike can get very heavy very quick. I have dropped a few of mine.... once on a field at a bike rally where the side stand just dropped into the soil hahaha.

Dougald

Just noted Yamaha are doing 0% over 4 years on the new FZ8, tempting to go take a look, even though the street is a much nicer looking bike. I'd almost be totally sold if I weren't such a cheapskate, an extra 2 grand over 4 years is still 2 grand.

Just noted Yamaha are doing 0% over 4 years on the new FZ8, tempting to go take a look, even though the street is a much nicer looking bike. I'd almost be totally sold if I weren't such a cheapskate, an extra 2 grand over 4 years is still 2 grand.

still like the triple more for the looks...

Top Bottom