• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2 wheel GAF UNITE!

Dougald

Yech, glad it sounds like you just got a few scratches. For the mirror, can you just order a new one and replace it? Sounds like both you and the scoot got off lightly, luckily

£90 extra insurance for having a Street Triple and £60 on top just so I can take it to the office once a month, daylight robbery. £150 is about what I was spending per year on the second bike though, so not too bad.

StuKen

Went doing some more offroading around the Dublin mountains over the weekend. Going down 15% grades on loose gravel is tough, going up is a lot more fun.

2014-06-01%2014.16.01.jpg

2014-06-01%2015.12.56.jpg

Dougald

Again I forgot that the Isle of Man TT started last week, runs until Friday, worth a watch if you can find it

Unfortunately there has already been a death this year.

7rDMsiB.gif

^ Do you know any places I could watch it online? I'm really hoping I can go one year.

Haven't been to the track in 2 years, but started making the trip again last weekend. Sooooo rusty. It took a while to get back into the hang of things, but I feel like it'll be a few more track days to be back to where I was. This was probably the best pic of me heading into a corner.

MzfvtIr.png

Dougald

^ Do you know any places I could watch it online? I'm really hoping I can go one year.

It can be found on the ITV4 section of the ITV player website, they do a 1-hour highlights program daily. It's probably only available in the UK without taking certain.. steps to get around this. I've looked to see who has the TV rights in the US and I'm not sure that anyone does at all...! Quite an interesting year really as all the non-sidecar events have so far been won by non-Japanese manufacturers (BMW won the Superbike/Superstock, and Triumph in the Supersport). If you're not from the UK/Ireland it's worth a watch for sure, even if you don't like the bikes you'll get a kick out of all the regional accents!

Some amateur footage of yesterdays race

Sad news that Karl Harris was killed during yesterdays Superstock race. It really is one of the last forms of racing where death is almost a constant, as you can't really make it much safer without just getting rid of it altogether.

Haven't been to the track in 2 years, but started making the trip again last weekend. Sooooo rusty. It took a while to get back into the hang of things, but I feel like it'll be a few more track days to be back to where I was. This was probably the best pic of me heading into a corner.

MzfvtIr.png

Damn that is a nice photo... this will make me get my ass in gear and get a two piece suit to go and try a track day

Yech, glad it sounds like you just got a few scratches. For the mirror, can you just order a new one and replace it? Sounds like both you and the scoot got off lightly, luckily

£90 extra insurance for having a Street Triple and £60 on top just so I can take it to the office once a month, daylight robbery. £150 is about what I was spending per year on the second bike though, so not too bad.

That is not a bad price at all. So did you get the bike yesterday?

Dougald

Tomorrow morning! Which is good looking at the weather, shaping up to be a nice sunny ride back. And of course that's *extra*, on top of the £140 I already paid them ;-)

Tomorrow morning! Which is good looking at the weather, shaping up to be a nice sunny ride back. And of course that's *extra*, on top of the £140 I already paid them ;-)

Its going to be a nice day to pickup a bike. Hope all goes to plan as sometime they can take their time.

Watevaman

Gs500 doesn't seem to be leaking from that broken bolt so that makes me happy. I'm enjoying the new high tooth front sprocket and new sport demons too.

Damaged

It can be found on the ITV4 section of the ITV player website, they do a 1-hour highlights program daily. It's probably only available in the UK without taking certain.. steps to get around this. I've looked to see who has the TV rights in the US and I'm not sure that anyone does at all...! Quite an interesting year really as all the non-sidecar events have so far been won by non-Japanese manufacturers (BMW won the Superbike/Superstock, and Triumph in the Supersport). If you're not from the UK/Ireland it's worth a watch for sure, even if you don't like the bikes you'll get a kick out of all the regional accents!

Some amateur footage of yesterdays race

Sad news that Karl Harris was killed during yesterdays Superstock race. It really is one of the last forms of racing where death is almost a constant, as you can't really make it much safer without just getting rid of it altogether.

Was very sad to hear this, have met Karl a few times in the BSB paddock and he was such a nice person. I love the TT and understand that everyone knows the risks but losses like this make it very difficult to watch, I'll never visit the island sadly because of this

Dougald

It's a real holdover from the old days of motor racing, and the fact that we still average what, 3 rider deaths a year between the TT and the Manx GP means I don't think it will be too long before they shut it down for good. When that finally happens I suspect I'll have mixed feelings about the whole thing

Gs500 doesn't seem to be leaking from that broken bolt so that makes me happy. I'm enjoying the new high tooth front sprocket and new sport demons too.

Good thing you don't have OCD like me because that would be driving me mad, and I'd probably make it worse trying to fix it!

My friends Bonnie is being a right pig, we finally got the stripped bolt off the brake disc, and replaced the disc/pads, only to find that his rear caliper is gunked up so much that the wheel won't turn with the new, unworn pads in! It's beyond a simple spray of brake cleaner, so I'm going to have to strip it down and change the piston seals I think.

If you have any problems organising a test ride let me know (not that you should), I know the DP at Bahnstormers ;)

Cool man... been buying allot of bikes from them so should not have trouble getting a test ride. Almost got some airflow gloves but managed to hold myself back lol

So bummed.

Busted my hand during basketball Friday... Now 4-6 week wait during prime riding season! :`(

http://i.imgur.com/iy5b3WB.jpg[IMG][/QUOTE]

Damn, sucks dude. Heal up.

Unrelated, I'm in Ontario Canada where insurance can be pretty brutal. However, Allstate is really damn cheap. I got a quote on the Yamaha FZ-09 (115hp, 2014) and it's only ~15% more per year for full coverage compared to my Ninja 250R. Crazy.

I'm pretty sure no one has the rights to it here in the US, which is a shame. I guess I'll have to find some other way to watch or just keep up with news. Hell, even TT3D never got a US release.

Damn that is a nice photo... this will make me get my ass in gear and get a two piece suit to go and try a track day

Two piece? All about the one piece :) I have some gopro footage, but since I didn't tighten it down well enough, the camera shakes a lot. Guess I'll upload some footage next time.

My rearset bolts also backed out and I lost my rear brake lever on the track. Almost lost the shift lever too, but luckily one bolt was left and it was only halfway out. Gotta make sure I loctite next time.

I'm pretty sure no one has the rights to it here in the US, which is a shame. I guess I'll have to find some other way to watch or just keep up with news. Hell, even TT3D never got a US release.

Two piece? All about the one piece :) I have some gopro footage, but since I didn't tighten it down well enough, the camera shakes a lot. Guess I'll upload some footage next time.

My rearset bolts also backed out and I lost my rear brake lever on the track. Almost lost the shift lever too, but luckily one bolt was left and it was only halfway out. Gotta make sure I loctite next time.

yes yes I know the one piece is the way forward but I would like to use the jacket with some kevlar jeans for short rides. But I will have to go and try the stuff on.

Watevaman

Came out of work today to a huge puddle of oil under my bike. I was all over the place thinking about where the heck it was coming from because I checked the oil and it was fine. Then my coworkers come out and remind me that this morning we were talking about how it'd be funny to play a joke by putting oil under someone's vehicle. Almost had a damn heart attack because of their joke.

D'OH!

Dougald

Came out of work today to a huge puddle of oil under my bike. I was all over the place thinking about where the heck it was coming from because I checked the oil and it was fine. Then my coworkers come out and remind me that this morning we were talking about how it'd be funny to play a joke by putting oil under someone's vehicle. Almost had a damn heart attack because of their joke.

D'OH!

Jesus man I was reading that thinking your bolt had come back to bite you in the ass! Hope you give as good as you get..!

D'OH!

Damn I would take that as a good joke and i might use it on my mate. Glad your bike is fine.

Dougald

Those are some really awesome photos. I don't have the bottle to do a trackday, even though I now have a trackable bike..!

I will have to go and have a look at the suits when I get back from a bit of leave. You are getting me amped up to go for a track day

Those are some really awesome photos. I don't have the bottle to do a trackday, even though I now have a trackable bike..!

I think everyone should try a track day at least once, it's well worth it just to see if you'll end up enjoying it or not and it helps you to be more in tune with your bike. If you enjoy going canyon riding or hitting up the twisties, I'm betting that ya'll will enjoy it. I'm interested in knowing what tracks are around ya'll.

Besides, you're there to go at the pace you feel comfortable in. Everyone is just there to learn and improve at their own speed. So go out and do it! Now! :)

Dougald

I'm in the South of England, so Goodwood, Brands Hatch, Thruxton and Silverstone are all probably within bike-able distance

I'm in the South of England, so Goodwood, Brands Hatch, Thruxton and Silverstone are all probably within bike-able distance

Goodwood and Thruxton seem fun for high speed, but I'd really want to ride at Brands Hatch and Silverstone! Plus, the pavement doesn't look all jacked up and bumpy like the ones I usually ride.

Soo happy, Honda is hosting an extra demo day in a week and a half.. missed the last one, really need to ride the CB500X as I'm thinking about buying one.

Also, great photos RapidCancel.

Watcher

Checking in new rider here just bought a used 1996 ninja 250 with 15k miles. Ive only been riding for a few weeks and love it to death. SoCal here hopefully can ride when some gaffers when im more experienced. Fuck cars

Dougald

Checking in new rider here just bought a used 1996 ninja 250 with 15k miles. Ive only been riding for a few weeks and love it to death. SoCal here hopefully can ride when some gaffers when im more experienced. Fuck cars

Welcome to the thread!

Pics of the new bike:

apologies to anyone who thought I was actually Jackie Chan

Where in Southern California? I'm near Downtown LA. Welcome by the way.

Watcher

I live in OC. Thanks for the welcomes! bikers are so kind to each other always giving me the cool biker peace sign and whatnot lol. makes me chuckle

Reven

So I'm having a pretty bad week. Yesterday I was doing a U-turn in the cement part of my driveway when some pebbles must have got under my tires and dropped me and the bike to the ground. Luckily I only scraped the bar end, a mirror and part of my kickstand.

Today I went out and swept the drive to prevent that from happening again. However the end of my driveway is dirt for like 15 feet and it has a slight turn out of a gate. So I went to go to work and I realized I wasn't turning enough and thought I was gonna end up in the fence so I made the rookie mistake of braking instead of just looking farther through the turn and ended up dropping my bike into the dirt. Nothings broke on me or the bike but I scratched up my fairing pretty damn good and skinned my left knee, which was already skinned from yesterday.

senahorse

Great morning ride today, a 225km (140mile), beautiful weather and temps 14-20C (57-68F). We did a round trip that saw us go through two separate state forests with lots of different terrain, from mud, deep sand, rock, clay and a bit of road in the mix. We both had an awesome time, especially as one of the forests was brand new to us and there are some amazing trails for us to go back and explore. Also saw a bunch of wildlife, a kangaroo, couple of rock wallabys (think mini kangaroos), a bilby (think super small kangaroo) and a huge snake we nearly both ran over (it was about 3.5M long[11.5foot]), just a green carpet python not one of our local deadly snakes like a Tiger or Brown snake, of course this was one of the only times I didn't take the GoPro out :/. All in all a great fun ride. Oh, here's a few pics:

22981415-54bc-4044-9449-ec44f16e7f25_zps14cc4d7e.jpg~original

3284b792-a81c-4d50-9d03-2ebb964425ca_zps4d66cec6.jpg~original

39c44cec-3f48-452a-a4aa-ea85ebaaaffa_zps5dee3d98.jpg~original

540dd84c-d243-429e-902f-0e7a6dad7e20_zpsbd3d3eea.jpg~original

Dougald

^ I hate you man, such nice roads... The wife has been talking about moving to Oz or NZ in a few years, biking roads are one of the main reasons I could get behind it!

So I'm having a pretty bad week. Yesterday I was doing a U-turn in the cement part of my driveway when some pebbles must have got under my tires and dropped me and the bike to the ground. Luckily I only scraped the bar end, a mirror and part of my kickstand.

Today I went out and swept the drive to prevent that from happening again. However the end of my driveway is dirt for like 15 feet and it has a slight turn out of a gate. So I went to go to work and I realized I wasn't turning enough and thought I was gonna end up in the fence so I made the rookie mistake of braking instead of just looking farther through the turn and ended up dropping my bike into the dirt. Nothings broke on me or the bike but I scratched up my fairing pretty damn good and skinned my left knee, which was already skinned from yesterday.

Bad luck man, at least they were both low speed drops (same as every drop I've ever had, which have also all been in driveways/car parks). Can you get a replacement fairing bit fairly cheap (eBay or the like)?

Great morning ride today, a 225km (140mile), beautiful weather and temps 14-20C (57-68F). We did a round trip that saw us go through two separate state forests with lots of different terrain, from mud, deep sand, rock, clay and a bit of road in the mix. We both had an awesome time, especially as one of the forests was brand new to us and there are some amazing trails for us to go back and explore. Also saw a bunch of wildlife, a kangaroo, couple of rock wallabys (think mini kangaroos), a bilby (think super small kangaroo) and a huge snake we nearly both ran over (it was about 3.5M long[11.5foot]), just a green carpet python not one of our local deadly snakes like a Tiger or Brown snake, of course this was one of the only times I didn't take the GoPro out :/. All in all a great fun ride. Oh, here's a few pics:

22981415-54bc-4044-9449-ec44f16e7f25_zps14cc4d7e.jpg~original

3284b792-a81c-4d50-9d03-2ebb964425ca_zps4d66cec6.jpg~original

39c44cec-3f48-452a-a4aa-ea85ebaaaffa_zps5dee3d98.jpg~original

540dd84c-d243-429e-902f-0e7a6dad7e20_zpsbd3d3eea.jpg~original

Wow it looks like back home... loads of gravel and fun times.

Dougald

hey man that is a nice looking bike... are you happy with the ride?

Yeah it's great fun. I do miss the Bonneville but this will definitely keep me entertained for a few years. Think it will take me that long to get used to the sheer excess power, as I'm used to just ragging my bikes off the lights, not sure I could get away with that on this without ABS...

The Street is almost worth the price of admission just for the LED gear change indicator (6 LEDs that progressively light up as you approach whatever RPM you've set, then flash). Now I need to get some stuff for it (centre paddock stand and a nice K&N air filter, namely). Forgot to mention, if you're sat at the lights for too long, the underseat exhaust also doubles as an arse warmer. Not sure that'll be the best in a heatwave.

Yeah it's great fun. I do miss the Bonneville but this will definitely keep me entertained for a few years. Think it will take me that long to get used to the sheer excess power, as I'm used to just ragging my bikes off the lights, not sure I could get away with that on this without ABS...

The Street is almost worth the price of admission just for the LED gear change indicator (6 LEDs that progressively light up as you approach whatever RPM you've set, then flash). Now I need to get some stuff for it (centre paddock stand and a nice K&N air filter, namely). Forgot to mention, if you're sat at the lights for too long, the underseat exhaust also doubles as an arse warmer. Not sure that'll be the best in a heatwave.

Well that is great news... Glad you like the bike. I test rode a buell for a day and the exhaust comes up just under your right leg. First time that I have ever driven a bike where I had to lift my ass off the seat for it to cool down. Weird that they dont put more heat shielding to prevent this. But hey still a nice sounding bike

Top Bottom