• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2 wheel GAF UNITE!

Hi 2 wheel GAF!

I've been riding for around three years. Started on a 2008 Ninja 250R, which was a great little starter bike.

My current ride is a 2009 Monster 1100S, which is pretty much the perfect bike for me. Love it to bits.

Couple of pics:

Welcome, and man that is a good looking bike. I like it in the white.

Hi 2 wheel GAF!

I've been riding for around three years. Started on a 2008 Ninja 250R, which was a great little starter bike.

My current ride is a 2009 Monster 1100S, which is pretty much the perfect bike for me. Love it to bits.

Couple of pics:

awesome bike. how long did you ride on the 250 before upgrading?

- In other news, my little f650gs is officially sold. The seller offered to pay my full asking price ( 200 more than I paid for the bike). Because I wanted to have one last go at my GS, I offered to deliver the bike to the seller in LA if she agreed to cover my expenses. I am delivering the bike June 14th and am pretty excited to make the 400 mile desert trek. SInce I will be driving through the desert in June is there any special precautions I should take? Specifically, I last had my bike serviced about 2500 miles ago. Should I take the bike to the shop for a once over just to be safe? Ive never had the slightest issue with the bike, but this might be one of those " it is better to be safe than sorry" type of situations.. Thoughts?

-edit, also i think ive set my mind on the yamaha fz8. Seems fast enough to keep up with the crazy speeds, and comfy enough for long trips. Also, they can be had pretty cheaply here, and i think they look pretty nice. I really would like to get a pure sport bike, but the used prices on those are pretty insane in AZ.

Awesome! another Monster owner, welcome. Great pics too, bike looks good in white.

Thanks! Saw your pics a few pages back, looks just as nice in red :)

Welcome, and man that is a good looking bike. I like it in the white.

Thanks, I've always had a thing for white bikes :)

awesome bike. how long did you ride on the 250 before upgrading?

18 months. There are a number of restrictions in Australia when you first get your license. It was the earliest I could upgrade. Not that it was a bad thing. I felt just ready after that time to step up to something bigger.

Riding to work today I had a bike infront of me get hit by an suv merging into his lane without looking. The poor dude broke his leg and luckily I was far enough away to not be involved in it. Ended up sitting with him while the ambulance came. Sorry to anyone on that sat in traffic where the 5 south and 110 split in Los Angeles. The woman that hit him had no problem saying "People on motorcycles act like pedestrians, you don't have the right away so sit in traffic like the rest of us". It was so fucking infuriating I almost went off on her. I ended up giving my number to the police officer because this broad pissed me off so much. She also kept saying "because of this shit i'm going to be late to work". As if she just happened to get in a minor fender bender.

Riding to work today I had a bike infront of me get hit by an suv merging into his lane without looking. The poor dude broke his leg and luckily I was far enough away to not be involved in it. Ended up sitting with him while the ambulance came. Sorry to anyone on that sat in traffic where the 5 south and 110 split in Los Angeles. The woman that hit him had no problem saying "People on motorcycles act like pedestrians, you don't have the right away so sit in traffic like the rest of us". It was so fucking infuriating I almost went off on her. I ended up giving my number to the police officer because this broad pissed me off so much. She also kept saying "because of this shit i'm going to be late to work". As if she just happened to get in a minor fender bender.

Hope the guy sues the living crap out of her. Good of you to stick with him for a bit.

Izayoi

Banned
Have fun this weekend, guys! I'm going to be out of town, and away from my bike sadly. :<

What an unbelievable cunt.

Good on you for sticking around... That really sucks.

Damn not nice man... I am with Fallout on this one... take her to the cleaners. I had a few people cut me off and then always think it my fault because they cannot turn their hear just a bit more to check the blindspots.

Dougald

Blindspots? If the average driver used their mirrors it would be a plus

Ride safe everyone, and never assume anyone has seen you..

Dougald

I can't be sure but I may have just put down a deposit on a 2010 Street 3 with Triumph subject to me going to view it Saturday

Excellent Dougald :p

Coincidentally, I'm driving out to Dongen this evening (about 1,5 hours south of Amsterdam) with my buddies to take a look at a 2010 Triump Speed triple. (Not for me, but for one of the two friends).

I'll see if I can take a pic or two.

I can't be sure but I may have just put down a deposit on a 2010 Street 3 with Triumph subject to me going to view it Saturday

Sweeeet.... what colour?

Also, any suggestions for how much HP my second bike should be? First bike is a Ninja 250 (~33HP crank I think). I don't want to overdo it while still learning, was thinking maybe max 75HP? I have about 1 year/10000km down so far. I'm actually not too dissatisfied with the power of the Ninja (aside from 2 up riding), it's mainly a comfort thing. Want something with more legroom and better seats.

Caius

Banned
Nice, good to see that there's a thriving motorcycle community in here as well.

Here's my contribution:
track GSXR600
dsc01340yk.jpg

track/street Daytona 675
img1514q.jpg

Workspace
photovr.jpg

At play
oZ8iyTN.jpg

Dougald

^ that union flag decal on the Daytona is niiice!

Sweeeet.... what colour?

Also, any suggestions for how much HP my second bike should be? First bike is a Ninja 250 (~33HP crank I think). I don't want to overdo it while still learning, was thinking maybe max 75HP? I have about 1 year/10000km down so far. I'm actually not too dissatisfied with the power of the Ninja (aside from 2 up riding), it's mainly a comfort thing. Want something with more legroom and better seats.

Black with the Gold wheels/forks, and it's a 2010 with the round lamps, 5k miles on the clock. I'll get some photos up after I've done the paperwork on Saturday.. Ended up agreeing on a price for bike/part ex that puts me at taking only a couple hundred quid less for the Bonneville than I wanted to, worth it as it saves me the hassle.

For the bike honestly it's up to your confidence as you've been riding for a while now.. Reckon you'd do fine on a 5/600 but it's down to how you feel.

iamblades

Sweeeet.... what colour?

HP is really not the only(or even the main) factor that determines how challenging a bike is to ride. Torque is actually more relevant, along with the shape of the powerband and the smoothness of the throttle response. Some of these things are easier to feel during a test ride than they are to divine through numbers.

Given your experience level I don't see why you wouldn't be perfectly fine riding any middleweight street focused bike, though you might want to avoid some of the more track/performance focused supersports, as they are more likely to have the kinds of notchy throttles and peaky powerbands that make a bike more challenging to ride.

The ZX-6R (or Ninja 636 depending on locality) seems to be the standard step up from the ninja, and I don't see any reason you wouldn't be safe on that. It's like 115 HP, but only 52 lb-ft of torque, so you aren't likely to kill yourself unless you want to. :p

Caius

Banned
Sweeeet.... what colour?

Sounds like you want a standard not a sportbike. Don't get a 636, get an SV650 or Ninja 650R if you want to stick with Kawi.

Dougald

Just plonked the remainder of the cash from selling both my bikes on a Shoei GT Air. Hell of a lot of money but after having an Arai for 4 years, anything else is like going back to SDTV after watching in HD.

Caius

Banned
I love the older Shoeis. Their RF1000 series helmets fit me very well. I don't know about GT Air but some of their current models (like the 1100 and 1200) kinda blow. I'm not the only one who thinks so, reviews for 1200 are especially poor.

Dougald

I'm hoping the fit will be good as there are basically no bike gear places left near me in the UK, so I've had to buy it blind. If it's bad I'll return it for an Arai Chaser V as that should be the same fit as my current Chaser. The fit is great but I haven't found the build quality on my chaser to be worthy of a £400 lid (the lining is incredibly comfortable but isn't removable, the demist tab is clunky and breaks, and it's quite loud).

Nice, good to see that there's a thriving motorcycle community in here as well.

Here's my contribution:
track GSXR600
dsc01340yk.jpg

track/street Daytona 675
img1514q.jpg

Workspace
photovr.jpg

At play
oZ8iyTN.jpg

One of the days I will do a track day... just need to get some leathers. I am looking to do it next year. This year I am upgrading my driving to work gear.

Nice bike and I am jealous like hell

Jackson

Just plonked the remainder of the cash from selling both my bikes on a Shoei GT Air. Hell of a lot of money but after having an Arai for 4 years, anything else is like going back to SDTV after watching in HD.

I have a Shoei GT Air Journey.

I dig it. I like the flip down sun visor and the pinlock shield.

Dougald

Yeah the flipdown was the biggest reason I went for the Shoei instead of a new Arai Chaser. Good to know you recommend it! Next step will be to get a decent Bluetooth set, thinking of the Autocom unit, as the wired Autocom I had in my Honda was top notch.

Damn man this is exciting times... so both bikes sold in the end? Keep us posted and if you get some photos.

Got Triumph to knock off almost as much off the asking price of the S3 + p/x as the minimum I wanted in cash for the Bonneville, so decided to just part exchange for less hassle. IMO, the black/gold is the nicest colour in that year (I prefer the white that was introduced in 2011 though), so I'm pretty happy. Should be serviced/MOTd up by end of next week.

New lid, new bike.. now when it rains in the UK all summer you know who to blame.

Does it feel weird having the visor inside the helmet when it's down? Or does it feel like a regular helmet with a tinted shield?

Just curious. I kind of want one of those too, I swap shields all the time.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Iywb24xGsj8

Youtube channel I'm subscribed to just uploaded this. Fuckin' beautiful bike. I'd love to build something like this.

Incredible that someone with such excellent taste in bikes would choose to wear that outfit on what is otherwise a work of art. Get that man some black leathers.

Not the best photo but it was from last Sunday rideout to Alton. So nice and cool early in the morning such a nice ride

http://i.imgur.com/MU24LIK.jpg

Must have missed this on the last page. Is this the first time you posted a pic of your bike? You should do so more often. Always loved these BMW's quirky, though awesome approach to the naked I4. Also think this looks better than the S1000 naked spin off.

Friend of mine ended up pulling the trigger on that Speed Triple by the way :)

Izayoi

Banned
I feel like my speedometer is SUPER optimistic. Like 10mph at least optimistic. Is this normal for the SFV650s?

On the way to work today I was keeping up with traffic and it told me low-70s the whole way, but traffic never moves that quickly on 405... I dunno.

Also, rides like a dream in the rain - no problems at all. I just need to get some rain covers for my gloves and boots.

Love it so far! Getting used to the throttle now, and it's sooo smooth - it rides like a dream.

Jackson

Does it feel weird having the visor inside the helmet when it's down? Or does it feel like a regular helmet with a tinted shield?

Just curious. I kind of want one of those too, I swap shields all the time.

It doesn't feel weird at all. Feels like a normal tinted visor. It's nice to not have to switch visors at night (if you're even bothered to do that).

Sorry I have a GT Air Wanderer, not Journey. Different color scheme (got white to be more high vis and to match my jacket) which is the only difference.

The sun visor can fog up if I'm stopped and I have my main visor down with it. But with the front air vent the fog goes away as soon as I start moving. With the pinlock system my main visor never ever fogs, which is great.

Before I bought it, some folks were like "I heard that your inside visor will cut the tip of your nose off in an accident". I checked the interwebs for an actual claim to such a story and none exist. Also if the sun visor cuts the tip of your nose off it's because the helmet caved in and your forehead is probably pushed into your brain about 3 inches (i.e. you're dead).

I also like to ride at city speeds with just the sun visor down and main shield up. Gives me way more protection against flying debris than sunglasses, but nearly the same amount of air whooshing into my face.

The slide to work the sun visor is backwards which takes a little muscle memory to get used to (pushing the slide up makes it go down and pulling it down makes it go back up) but you get used to it.

On the way to work today I was keeping up with traffic and it told me low-70s the whole way, but traffic never moves that quickly on 405... I dunno.

405?! Wait are you in Seattle area too? :) Did you say that earlier? Maybe I missed it.

Izayoi

Banned
My helmet has a built-in sun visor as well (use a slider on the top to pop it into place - has a couple different settings), and it's incredibly useful.

405?! Wait are you in Seattle area too? :) Did you say that earlier? Maybe I missed it.
Yup, I live in Snohomish county! :>

Caius

Banned
One of the days I will do a track day... just need to get some leathers. I am looking to do it next year. This year I am upgrading my driving to work gear.

Nice bike and I am jealous like hell
Careful. Once you start, there's a good chance you'll be addicted to it. You can get a two piece track suit, so you can still wear the jacket when commuting.

TCRS

Banned
new Ducati Monster 821:

ducati-monster-821-004-1.jpg

Powered by the latest edition of Ducati's highly successful 821 Testastretta 11° engine, the highly accessible new Monster combines 112hp and 65.9ft-lb of torque with an impressively lightweight 179.5kg &#8211; 395.7lb (dry weight) overall package. This stylish mix of minimalism and performance paves the way back to the original essence of the Monster concept, where less-is-more and made-in-Italy combine to create a motorcycle lifestyle.

High-spec brakes, excellent suspension and stylish componentry merge with Ducati's best-yet ergonomics to offer the Italian manufacturer's most attractive mid-range Monster ever. Super comfortable and with an innovative adjustable seat height, the model also combines 8-level traction control, 3-level ABS and 3-level Ride-by-Wire into Ducati's user-friendly, press-button Riding Modes.

http://www.autoblog.com/2014/05/28/ducati-monster-821-official/

nice. though the 796 in black/red remains my favourite. one day.

I feel like my speedometer is SUPER optimistic. Like 10mph at least optimistic. Is this normal for the SFV650s?

it's normal for most non-honda bikes/scoots. the gladius is about 8-10% optimistic. (my zed is even worse -- it reports 80 mph when i'm going a gps-measured 70. although i like the short gearing for the fast launches, i may switch to a 16t sprocket up front just to fix the nearly 13% optimistic speedo. it annoys!)

my old ctx and my wife's pcx150 scoot were/are dead-on accurate, speedo-wise. other forums confirm it. SHARE THIS TECH, HONDA.

iamblades

no single-sided swingarm, no sale. i'll take the 796, thanks! (like the new exhaust, though.)

I'm anti single sided swingarm with the exception of shaft drive bikes.

standard swingarms are mechanically superior, so I'm actually glad ducati is going away from them on the middleweight bikes(ie. the ones I can afford :p ).

Also looks wise I prefer the exhaust under the seat of the current bike (though the stock cans are hideous, but a pair of termis fix that).

Dougald

It doesn't feel weird at all. Feels like a normal tinted visor. It's nice to not have to switch visors at night (if you're even bothered to do that).

Sorry I have a GT Air Wanderer, not Journey. Different color scheme (got white to be more high vis and to match my jacket) which is the only difference.

The sun visor can fog up if I'm stopped and I have my main visor down with it. But with the front air vent the fog goes away as soon as I start moving. With the pinlock system my main visor never ever fogs, which is great.

Before I bought it, some folks were like "I heard that your inside visor will cut the tip of your nose off in an accident". I checked the interwebs for an actual claim to such a story and none exist. Also if the sun visor cuts the tip of your nose off it's because the helmet caved in and your forehead is probably pushed into your brain about 3 inches (i.e. you're dead).

I also like to ride at city speeds with just the sun visor down and main shield up. Gives me way more protection against flying debris than sunglasses, but nearly the same amount of air whooshing into my face.

The slide to work the sun visor is backwards which takes a little muscle memory to get used to (pushing the slide up makes it go down and pulling it down makes it go back up) but you get used to it.

Hah, that's the exact same lid I just ordered, for the same reasons (safety). Of course it would have been safer and cheaper to just get plain white, but when you're already spending that much..

That new Ducati looks great, but I have to admit that I'm more a fan of the older model with the Single Swingarm.

Incredible that someone with such excellent taste in bikes would choose to wear that outfit on what is otherwise a work of art. Get that man some black leathers.

Must have missed this on the last page. Is this the first time you posted a pic of your bike? You should do so more often. Always loved these BMW's quirky, though awesome approach to the naked I4. Also think this looks better than the S1000 naked spin off.

Friend of mine ended up pulling the trigger on that Speed Triple by the way :)

Yes I will do some more photos... just been lazy. Bike is going in for a service tomorrow and they are getting me a 800 GS Adv for the day....mmm I love riding different bikes.

Yeah the flipdown was the biggest reason I went for the Shoei instead of a new Arai Chaser. Good to know you recommend it! Next step will be to get a decent Bluetooth set, thinking of the Autocom unit, as the wired Autocom I had in my Honda was top notch.

Got Triumph to knock off almost as much off the asking price of the S3 + p/x as the minimum I wanted in cash for the Bonneville, so decided to just part exchange for less hassle. IMO, the black/gold is the nicest colour in that year (I prefer the white that was introduced in 2011 though), so I'm pretty happy. Should be serviced/MOTd up by end of next week.

New lid, new bike.. now when it rains in the UK all summer you know who to blame.

Great stuff... at the moment the weather is crap so it can only get better. You can take your bike out for a nice ride to Lumies Cafe.

Dougald

Great stuff... at the moment the weather is crap so it can only get better. You can take your bike out for a nice ride to Lumies Cafe.

Sounds good, I've not made the trek down there yet so hopefully they do a better coffee than Ryka's.... Making the trek up to Gloucester to view this bike on Saturday so it's the wrong direction!

My wife is doing her CBT on Saturday and is now obsessed with the idea of getting a TZR125! I think honestly she'd be better off getting a full license and buying an old CB500 or something, but the cost to get an A license from nothing in the UK is mad, looking at upwards of £1000.

new Ducati Monster 821:

ducati-monster-821-004-1.jpg

nice. though the 796 in black/red remains my favourite. one day.

ducati_monster796_260wq6q.jpg

Yeah, I have to deal with a least a bit of bias because I own an 1100. But compare that 796 to the new 821 and I definitely feel that this last Monster (along with the new 1200) is the least pretty Monster Ducati have made. Something about it is just... myeah. That's not to say it looks bad or anything, I mean, it's still a Monster.

As for our trip to Dongen yesterday, it was successful. Here's the Speed Triple that was purchased:

imag13586aq9r.jpg

imag1359ywojn.jpg

(Just a teeny tiny bit over 7.000km on the clock!)

Dougald

White, single swingarm.. making me jealous! Doesn't have the round headlights though so I'm still happy with the 2010 Street I'm getting.

Suggested that the wife and I go halves on a Grom/MSX125, got shot down.... apparently it's too small and looks "stupid". Might be time for a divorce...!

Sounds good, I've not made the trek down there yet so hopefully they do a better coffee than Ryka's.... Making the trek up to Gloucester to view this bike on Saturday so it's the wrong direction!

My wife is doing her CBT on Saturday and is now obsessed with the idea of getting a TZR125! I think honestly she'd be better off getting a full license and buying an old CB500 or something, but the cost to get an A license from nothing in the UK is mad, looking at upwards of £1000.

Man I had a TZR250 and damn the smell of two stroke in the morning is super. Mine got stolen, that was a fun little bike but not the best for longer trips. The CB 500 is a great bike but its fun vs sensible.

Dougald

Going up to the dealer Saturday to confirm everything is to my liking and that they can keep my deposit, I'll get some pics then!

Unfortunately it's been taken down from their website but it's pretty near identical to this one, except with the stock cans instead of the Arrows:

sGgN5yG.jpg

Top Bottom