• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2 wheel GAF UNITE!

Dougald

Think the wifes going with an SR125 as a decent-ish one can be had for £700, something like this:

ipIoMSq.jpg

I'm going to have to test ride it, one test ride I'm not looking forward to. Hate those tiny wheels/tyres. I predict she will want to sell it the moment she gets her first lesson on a big bike.

Going up to the dealer Saturday to confirm everything is to my liking and that they can keep my deposit, I'll get some pics then!

Unfortunately it's been taken down from their website but it's pretty near identical to this one, except with the stock cans instead of the Arrows:

sGgN5yG.jpg

That is a good looking bike... I see that one has the bigger front screen. Does yours also have it. Also what are they knocking you for insurance. Stuff you already know but check tyres, service history, chain runs smooth and all the bits work. Check that the front shocks are not pitted and there are no stone chips on the silver parts of the shocks as this can ware out the seals.

Good luck and I hope its all good.

Dougald

Yep it has the flyscreen + extended screen, same as in the pic, as well as the belly pan. Insurance will be about twice what I pay now, but that's still only £280ish, and that includes commuting whereas my current certificate does not. Works out about the same price as insuring both my previous bikes when I had 2.

Good tips, I normally check everything but didn't think of the forks, I always forget them! Will also try and check steering head bearing. From the photos I've seen the only things that look like they're on their way out are the tyres, but they should have another MOT in them. Given the mileage they're probably the original rubber anyway.

Yep it has the flyscreen + extended screen, same as in the pic, as well as the belly pan. Insurance will be about twice what I pay now, but that's still only £280ish, and that includes commuting whereas my current certificate does not. Works out about the same price as insuring both my previous bikes when I had 2.

Good tips, I normally check everything but didn't think of the forks, I always forget them! Will also try and check steering head bearing. From the photos I've seen the only things that look like they're on their way out are the tyres, but they should have another MOT in them. Given the mileage they're probably the original rubber anyway.

All the little things that you can use to bargain the price down. Just check that the rear and front tyres are not flat in the middle.

Good luck and that insurance is really good.

Caius

Banned
Going up to the dealer Saturday to confirm everything is to my liking and that they can keep my deposit, I'll get some pics then!

Unfortunately it's been taken down from their website but it's pretty near identical to this one, except with the stock cans instead of the Arrows:

sGgN5yG.jpg
Nice! You want the Arrow tho, you NEED the Arrow. It's like some 50lbs weight saving or something like that. It's ridiculous.

Helmet talk always makes me start looking at new lids. I currently have a Bell RS1. I've had it for like 4-5 years now I think but I'm ready to replace it.

Thinking of either going with

http://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/bell-bullitt-helmet

or

http://www.biltwellinc.com/index.php?l=product_detail&p=352

With a bubble shield. Anyone else ride with an 3/4 helmet? Shopping for helmets is a huge pain in my ass since I have a really huge head (my rs1 is 2XL) none of them seem to fit me right.

That Bullitt looks awesome... now to get a retro machine

Dougald

I've often thought of getting a 3/4 helmet when riding the Bonneville for the "look", but ultimately could never get past the safety aspect of it. I'm partial to the Bell open face lids, though - they look great.

I seem to have stumbled upon the fact that ordering a Sena headset from the US via eBay is half the price of getting one over here (plus customs obviously). Next on my list I think!

Caius

Banned
Also there are a host of issues that associated with the 675 platform. Some might be fixed in the later models, might not be (I have the original 06 graphite back when it was a limited production run). After owning the bike for 8 years, I have first hand knowledge of most of them.

-Check the radiator for dents and leaks, might be a good idea to get a radiator guard if you are going to be riding on the street a lot
-Check the elbow on the coolant reservoir, it's plastic and tends to harden and break; replace it with a metal one
-Listen for knocks at around 7k rpm, the cam chain could come loose, you'll need to replace the tensioner with a manual adjustable one. I do think that issue has been addressed in the 08 revision tho
-On hot days, the mid-pipe get HOT and will roast your nuts and right thigh, no real solution unless you get a shorty exhaust (I think several companies make those)
-If you are having electrical issues like battery not charging, check rectifier first, it sits right behind the midpipe and get very hot as a result, some people remount theirs to outside the subframe
-I would also swap out the factory steering damper as it's not very helpful

Dougald

So the bike is in for a service. The muppet that had the loan bike phoned in to tell them he is only going to drop it off later today so they only a Husky... no problem as I have not ridden one. But man its weird to ride a bike that does not have any wind protection. I will add some photos later of the 1000S and the new R nine T. They do look awesome in the flesh

wTZP5Pk.jpg

Izayoi

Banned
Rode from Snohomish, WA to Long Beach, WA today... Damn man. I'm going to bed now, but I have some thoughts to post tomorrow.

Dougald

Well, wife just bought a Lexmoto Arrow (YBR125 clone), with the reasoning that you can't really go wrong for £850, and the only used Learner Legal options round here at that price were all 15 years old with 60k on the clock

It's either going to be a brilliant little bike or fall apart in 5 minutes. Bets anyone?? Her car is a Dacia Sandero so you can probably sense a pattern here..

Well, wife just bought a Lexmoto Arrow (YBR125 clone), with the reasoning that you can't really go wrong for £850, and the only used Learner Legal options round here at that price were all 15 years old with 60k on the clock

It's either going to be a brilliant little bike or fall apart in 5 minutes. Bets anyone?? Her car is a Dacia Sandero so you can probably sense a pattern here..

Most of the little cheap bikes will last a long time... but that all depends on how you really ride it and look after it. Most of the little bike is used in Thailand and they use it like toilet paper... if its busted they just toss it away. Its weird to see all the little bikes and scooters lying next to the road. They have trucks picking it up and dumping it. Mind boggling

Dougald

Well we went to china last year and saw how they treat em.. awfully!

It's a fiver to change the oil so I reckon if she stays on top of that and keeping it clean it should be fine. Won't have it more than 2 years anyway as she wants a full license and a big bike as soon as she can.

Is that Husky fun then???

Well we went to china last year and saw how they treat em.. awfully!

It's a fiver to change the oil so I reckon if she stays on top of that and keeping it clean it should be fine. Won't have it more than 2 years anyway as she wants a full license and a big bike as soon as she can.

Is that Husky fun then???

its fun but not on the highway... above 70mph you have to hold on as you get all of the wind. Its also different to ride a thumper engine... but with some knobbly on and some gravel it will be loads of fun. Feel very light and fun in the twistys. Almost had my foot out around the roundabout lol

Dougald

Ahh wind protection... I suspect that will be the one regret with a Street Triple

Once you get a Pan European (which has as much wind blast as a car), everything feels bad.

Dougald

er... YEP!

Problem then will be waiting until I pick it up next week. Gonna take the morning off and pick it up as early as possible, hah. Advantage of the place being 2hrs away is I get a nice long ride home on the Triple..

Out of the 6 bikes I've bought, only one was purchased within 30 minutes of where I live. The others all two hours or more away. I guess it's tradition.

So the K is serviced and it feels so much better... its like they gave it a tune up. I had a chance to have a look at a RnineT. Awesome bike in the flesh

xO5bBGX.jpg

f9oRJwc.jpg

pMiQKbr.jpg

Have to go back for a little test drive.

That you? Handsome chap :D

Bike looks great as well. I was in Berlin about a month ago and the Germans were, of course, already riding around on that thing in numbers. It sounds very nice, bit more snarly than what they give the other boxers in terms of exhaust note I guess. Tad pricey though, how much does that go for in the UK?

hot. good call getting the 2010 with the round fronts. every time i've thought i really wanted to get a street/speed triple, the bug lights kept me away. which is a shame, because they're really two of the best pure motorcycles on the market. (still kinda wished i'd waited and got the speed triple over the z, but, you know. you can't be in this hobby without wanting.)

Dougald

Ahh I think the Z is a nicer looking bike than the newer Street/Speed anyway! If I were going for a 1000 I definitely think it would be the Kawasaki, or the big Monster.

Wife managed to do so badly on her CBT that she has to go back tomorrow. To be fair she didn't mount the pavement and ride into a lamp post, which is what may have happened on my first lesson

Here she is... all serviced now but unfortunately no MOT or tax yet. Picking her up Thursday morning!

Nice looking bike... its does look in very good condition. Did you check all the bits and they are all fine?

I have also preferred the round lights to the new ones.... and man later you can fit some aftermarket cans for some awesomeness

Dougald

Only concern was the tyres are starting to look a little tired, but good enough for the rest of the season, I'll probably pop a brand new pair on in the winter. Everything is stock apart from the screen and crash bungs too, which is great.

Always hard to tell general condition as Triumph tend to clean every last nut and bolt! Front downpipes are looking a bit less shiny than I'd like, but no real problems. Reckon it'll do me fine for 2-3 years, until I get the itch to change again..

Watevaman

Had an oil leak from my right side crankcase cover last week so I spent yesterday fixing up a bunch of stuff while I was at it. As I put the gasket back on and am in the process of torquing all the bolts down (to a mere 8 ft-lbs), one of them breaks off. Now, I'm being completely lazy and possibly stupid here, but with the advice of my ex-mechanic father, I'm going to just run it with that bolt broken off. The cover has at least 12 other bolts holding it on and this bolt is one of two that goes behind the signal generator, so I'm not sure exactly what's going to happen.I was up all night last night just thinking about what's going to happen but man am I crossing my fingers that I don't have to find a way to get the bolt out of there.

On the plus side, I now have a larger front sprocket and a shiny new set of Pirelli Sport Demons on there.

Had an oil leak from my right side crankcase cover last week so I spent yesterday fixing up a bunch of stuff while I was at it. As I put the gasket back on and am in the process of torquing all the bolts down (to a mere 8 ft-lbs), one of them breaks off. Now, I'm being completely lazy and possibly stupid here, but with the advice of my ex-mechanic father, I'm going to just run it with that bolt broken off. The cover has at least 12 other bolts holding it on and this bolt is one of two that goes behind the signal generator, so I'm not sure exactly what's going to happen.I was up all night last night just thinking about what's going to happen but man am I crossing my fingers that I don't have to find a way to get the bolt out of there.

On the plus side, I now have a larger front sprocket and a shiny new set of Pirelli Sport Demons on there.

Bolt breaks are crap as its always a pain to get out. If its just the head of the bolt you can still undo it but if its broken level with the screwthread then its a pain. Drill and re-tap or weld something onto the bolt and undo. Only tips I can think off.

Should be fine but if the gasket does not seal nicely you might get an oil leak close to that bolt. Just keep an eye on it

Dougald

You could also try dremeling or otherwise cutting a slot for a flathead screwdriver on, I've used that before. Can't think of anything else that hasn't been suggested!

A bit of plusgas or your American equivalent helps too. Heat the bolt before trying to remove if you can

Edit: a quick ask around suggests maybe using a smaller size drill bit than the thread in reverse to drop it out. No idea if that would work though.

Dougald

Shoei GT Air just arrived. All in all a quality helmet, though vastly less comfortable than my old Arai as it hasn't been worn in yet!

I think I prefer the fit of the Arai at the moment, as I have a fat head, plus the channel for glasses in the Shoei is not as nice. Time will tell though, the lid fits perfectly and I'm going to wear it in. The GT air is certainly a nicer looking lid than my Chaser, and feels higher quality, even though they're both similarly priced lids.

Shoei GT Air just arrived. All in all a quality helmet, though vastly less comfortable than my old Arai as it hasn't been worn in yet!

I think I prefer the fit of the Arai at the moment, as I have a fat head, plus the channel for glasses in the Shoei is not as nice. Time will tell though, the lid fits perfectly and I'm going to wear it in. The GT air is certainly a nicer looking lid than my Chaser, and feels higher quality, even though they're both similarly priced lids.

Last time I went out to upgrade my Shoei after 7 years... yes yes I know its way to long to keep a helmet. I tried on the lot as the shop and the only ones that fit like a glove was another Shoei. I was so keen for an Shuberth or a Arai or just something with the flip down sun visor. But no. So I have to wait another few years to upgrade. Getting into a 5 year rotation. I think that is a good time to keep a helmet

Dougald

I probably have more of an "Arai Head", but as my helmet is only just coming up on 4 years and is already starting to look/feel ratty, and Arai seem insistent on dragging their heels regarding actual features on their lids beyond an "Arai" sticker on the top, I decided to switch this time!

I probably have more of an "Arai Head", but as my helmet is only just coming up on 4 years and is already starting to look/feel ratty, and Arai seem insistent on dragging their heels regarding actual features on their lids beyond an "Arai" sticker on the top, I decided to switch this time!

Post the old pic so we can see the lid

Dougald

Your wish is my command, or something:

The Arai has a shape a bit more suited for fat heads! Overall pleased with the Shoei, and the sun visor is really smooth. I will probably miss the "eyebrow coolers" as I call them on the Arai, but the new lid seems to have much better ventilation overall

The Arai has a shape a bit more suited for fat heads! Overall pleased with the Shoei, and the sun visor is really smooth. I will probably miss the "eyebrow coolers" as I call them on the Arai, but the new lid seems to have much better ventilation overall

Going to look cool on the new bike..

Fixed1979

I don't have a lot of experience with helmets but I have the same Shoei (except in black with white and red stripe), I'm sure once it breaks in you'll dig it. Plus it matches up great with the Streety. Congrats on the bike by the way!

This thread has starting rolling pretty quick now that summer is here!

Nice helmet. I'm jealous of having both tinted and clear face shields at once.

In other news, I passed my final motorcycle licensing test. Got my full license, woot!

Sarcasm

Does anyone else's fingers get buff? I drive a scooter everyday and I only use my middle finger to brake so my middle fingers have gotten bigger lol.

Also how do I avoid getting an indent on my forehead from the helmet, I am tired of it haha.

Top Bottom