• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2 wheel GAF UNITE!

Mengy

wishes it were bannable to say mean things about Marvel
Ooh bike history posts, nice idea :)

It is a cool idea. I've owned a total of ten motorcycles in my lifetime: one dirtbike, three Kawasaki road bikes, and six Harleys. I'll have to dig up pics of all of them tonight when I get home and post them up too.

After my XT250 -

Yamaha TZR250 grey import and was a pain to get registered

udFvUmV.jpg

Next was my KLR650 Thumper.... damn I needed two people to help kick start this monster

v0Rqzkd.jpg

Next was one of the best riding bikes I had as it had no problems doing a 2 week 7600km trip around South Africa, Botswana and Zimbabwe. Trying to convince my dad to buy it back from his friend

DVlp6cN.jpg

This was my first brand new bike. Damn it costed me allot of money but it was a great ride

lEX433v.jpg

First time in the UK and I bought this beast BMW 1150GS. 255KG tank and what colour is that mustard haha

vwZijnI.jpg

Then jumped to the then new BMW 1200GS. Grey

Wn1pPUa.jpg

Then to a BMW 1200Gs red Adv... damn this is fun to ride and you feel like driving a mothership. They should have had an option to allow other bikers to do inflight refueling

KyUYuMn.jpg

I jumped to my first real road type of bike and did a EU tour on this bike. Great to ride but it gave me back pain... off you go

s4N6zvM.jpg

And now my current bike... that I just love. It just does everything slow cruising, high speed blasts and long distance riding without issues.

xbQjBny.jpg

Damaged

Brilliant for commuting (except filtering, too damn wide), I rode that all winter long and barely felt the chill. It still had all the police buttons too (even the flashers). If you wear high-vis and a white helmet, it's a sea of brake lights in front. Thing is surprisingly good at corners too, I only sold it because I'm just too damn short.

The only problem was the Swingarm on the one I had was rotten through, had to remove and have it welded - common problem on the ST1100 in the UK, so that's the main thing to watch out for. The engines are totally bulletproof, and it's a shaft drive so no real maintenance, just change the gearbox oil and grease the shaft every year or two.

I honestly did read all that but at the moment im trying really hard to not make a joke about greasing shafts

It is a cool idea. I've owned a total of ten motorcycles in my lifetime: one dirtbike, three Kawasaki road bikes, and six Harleys. I'll have to dig up pics of all of them tonight when I get home and post them up too.

Looking forward to seeing them all :)

After my XT250 -

Yamaha TZR250 grey import and was a pain to get registered

udFvUmV.jpg

Next was my KLR650 Thumper.... damn I needed two people to help kick start this monster

v0Rqzkd.jpg

Next was one of the best riding bikes I had as it had no problems doing a 2 week 7600km trip around South Africa, Botswana and Zimbabwe. Trying to convince my dad to buy it back from his friend

DVlp6cN.jpg

This was my first brand new bike. Damn it costed me allot of money but it was a great ride

lEX433v.jpg

First time in the UK and I bought this beast BMW 1150GS. 255KG tank and what colour is that mustard haha

vwZijnI.jpg

Then jumped to the then new BMW 1200GS. Grey

Wn1pPUa.jpg

Then to a BMW 1200Gs red Adv... damn this is fun to ride and you feel like driving a mothership. They should have had an option to allow other bikers to do inflight refueling

KyUYuMn.jpg

I jumped to my first real road type of bike and did a EU tour on this bike. Great to ride but it gave me back pain... off you go

s4N6zvM.jpg

And now my current bike... that I just love. It just does everything slow cruising, high speed blasts and long distance riding without issues.

xbQjBny.jpg

Love those little Yamahas, noticing a distinct pattern on your other bikes though ;)

I honestly did read all that but at the moment im trying really hard to not make a joke about greasing shafts

Looking forward to seeing them all :)

Love those little Yamahas, noticing a distinct pattern on your other bikes though ;)

haha indeed... I am blaming it all on my Dad... he was a BMW fan and so the story goes.

Scotch

Well, may as well have my first post in this thread be my short motor history. Long time lurker here, and a friend of Fallout-NL.

I got my license last year, and the first bike I bought was a Ducati 900ss.

Yeah, probably not the best starter bike. I heard that even for experienced riders it can be quite a handful. But look at it! I felt like a boss on that thing. Anyway, long story short, I crashed it after two weeks... yeah. I didn't take any pics from the wrecked bike, I think it just hurt too much.

My second purchase was a lot more sensible, a Honda CB-1. Now this is a great starter bike. Incredibly nimble, great for city driving. Not so great on the highways of course. After a year with the CB-1 I do start to feel the itch for something new, but still, I'm having a lot of fun on this thing.

Dougald

At least it sounds like the only thing that got hurt other than the Ducati was your ego.

How do you find the CB-1? I've been on the lookout for a good, cheap bike for the missus to move up to once she gets her license, and that certainly fits the description

StuKen

Started off on a brand new Honda Zoomer

Sold that after about a year and went with a brand new YBR125. Which I got knocked off 3 days into owning. That didn't spook me from riding and i wasnt letting that €2000 go down the drain.

The YBR125 was kept for about 6 months and a traded it in at almost cost price even with some smashed clocks from the crash against another brand new bike, aGS500F. Fuck me I spent a lot of money a to get to this point.

The GS500F proved to be quite the workhorse and I put in almost 40000km commuting over the next 2 years. I then spotted a nice XT660X for sale in my local dealer and bought that as a second bike.

The XT had to go though after a routine traffic stop revealed a problematic past on the bike. I was riding and didn't have my license or ID on me so the police ran the plates and found that it hadn't been correctly put in my name and had almost 100 item of police intelligence associated with it, including being used as a getaway bike for a shooting. One of the old owners was a major gangland figure in Dublin. It took a while to get things cleared up that I actually owned it but after that I couldn't keep it and she was sold. Shame really because it was an absolute blast to drive. It was back to the GS500F again.

Fast forward another 3 years. I sell the trusty GS500F and go for a mint fully loaded 2007 DL650. A fantastic bike that didn't suffer the finish issues that plague most Suzuki bikes. Engine was a peach to. Loads of torque from that vtwin.

Less than a year later and 2 weeks after I finish paying off the vstrom it's stolen. Luckily the insurance pay out quick and full price on the actual listed amount on the policy. It's time for something with a little more poke. My boss sorts me with a dealer he's friends with and I get another fully loaded mint bike. a 2006 CBF1000 with next to nothing on the clock. That thing was built like a swiss watch. All you can hear while driving is a purr from the exhaust and gear whine. The fireblade engine and gearbox are basically asleep after the detuning and the whole thing just feels relaxed. Amazing underrated bike.

Finally we're up to this year and i was looking for something different. The CBF while a beautiful machine was just not up to handling the kind of roads in Ireland. The suspension was too hard with not enough travel and I wanted to go back to the Vstrom and XT adventure bike type but wanted the motorway prowess of the CBF and with that the R1200GS Adventure was the only choice. The CBF1000 was sold and the current monster was picked up in April.

Started off on a brand new Honda Zoomer

Sold that after about a year and went with a brand new YBR125. Which I got knocked off 3 days into owning. That didn't spook me from riding and i wasnt letting that €2000 go down the drain.

The YBR125 was kept for about 6 months and a traded it in at almost cost price even with some smashed clocks from the crash against another brand new bike, aGS500F. Fuck me I spent a lot of money a to get to this point.

The GS500F proved to be quite the workhorse and I put in almost 40000km commuting over the next 2 years. I then spotted a nice XT660X for sale in my local dealer and bought that as a second bike.

The XT had to go though after a routine traffic stop revealed a problematic past on the bike. I was riding and didn't have my license or ID on me so the police ran the plates and found that it hadn't been correctly put in my name and had almost 100 item of police intelligence associated with it, including being used as a getaway bike for a shooting. One of the old owners was a major gangland figure in Dublin. It took a while to get things cleared up that I actually owned it but after that I couldn't keep it and she was sold. Shame really because it was an absolute blast to drive. It was back to the GS500F again.

Fast forward another 3 years. I sell the trusty GS500F and go for a mint fully loaded 2007 DL650. A fantastic bike that didn't suffer the finish issues that plague most Suzuki bikes. Engine was a peach to. Loads of torque from that vtwin.

Less than a year later and 2 weeks after I finish paying off the vstrom it's stolen. Luckily the insurance pay out quick and full price on the actual listed amount on the policy. It's time for something with a little more poke. My boss sorts me with a dealer he's friends with and I get another fully loaded mint bike. a 2006 CBF1000 with next to nothing on the clock. That thing was built like a swiss watch. All you can hear while driving is a purr from the exhaust and gear whine. The fireblade engine and gearbox are basically asleep after the detuning and the whole thing just feels relaxed. Amazing underrated bike.

Finally we're up to this year and i was looking for something different. The CBF while a beautiful machine was just not up to handling the kind of roads in Ireland. The suspension was too hard with not enough travel and I wanted to go back to the Vstrom and XT adventure bike type but wanted the motorway prowess of the CBF and with that the R1200GS Adventure was the only choice. The CBF1000 was sold and the current monster was picked up in April.

Nice range of bike... that damn Zoomer is just awesome and cool. I wish they was here in the UK.

Scotch

At least it sounds like the only thing that got hurt other than the Ducati was your ego.
Yeah, I luckily missed a tree by a few yards and landed in the grass. Only had some bruises and was sore for a week.

How do you find the CB-1? I've been on the lookout for a good, cheap bike for the missus to move up to once she gets her license, and that certainly fits the description
I love it. For one I really like how the CB-1 looks. It has aged really well and most people wouldn't guess that it's 25(!) years old. The Honda engine is also incredibly reliable of course, and for a 400cc engine it can have a surprising amount of torque (below 120 kph at least). As I said, the highways are less fun but it's doable. Max speed is about 190kph if your wife is in that sort of thing.

It is of course small, and is probably more suited for women that way. I'm 6'4"/193cm and most people my size will find it way too small but I actually kinda like it. The seating position is somewhat sportive and not too upright, which I also prefer. Handling is a dream thanks to its size.

Dougald

I love it. For one I really like how the CB-1 looks. It has aged really well and most people wouldn't guess that it's 25(!) years old. The Honda engine is also incredibly reliable of course, and for a 400cc engine it can have a surprising amount of torque (below 120 kph at least). As I said, the highways are less fun but it's doable. Max speed is about 190kph if your wife is in that sort of thing.

It is of course small, and is probably more suited for women that way. I'm 6'4"/193cm and most people my size will find it way too small but I actually kinda like it. The seating position is somewhat sportive and not too upright, which I also prefer. Handling is a dream thanks to its size.

Thanks, sounds like it would be perfect for her as she's only likely to go legal speeds, and as the fastest roads here are 115km/h it would probably be a good shout. I'll add it to "the list"

I'm visiting Seattle for a few days. Man...weather is so damn nice here! I know the late fall - early spring time is supposed to be pretty shitty weather (though I think that's typical for most of PNW and even northern California to a degree). However, most of spring - fall...good riding? How long does it take to get to good backroads from inside the city? Are "microclimates" an issue (like...going from sunny and warm to downpour and wind or some crazy shit)? And, if it's drizzly/shitty in the city, can you escape to warmer, dryer roads/areas in a reasonable amount of time?

Thanks, sounds like it would be perfect for her as she's only likely to go legal speeds, and as the fastest roads here are 115km/h it would probably be a good shout. I'll add it to "the list"

Lots of fun to be had on that bike as well. Especially after you had it serviced it seemed like, Scotch. It was incredibly feisty last time I rode it.

There's one more alternative that comes to mind when talking about the CB1, which is another Honda actually, the NTV 650 Revere or Hawk:

honda20nt20600v20revehefpc.jpg

It has similar (though maybe not as) good looks, but instead of a higher revving 4 cylinder, it's a v-twin (!) with a shaft drive (!) and a single-sided swing-arm (!). Aw yiss.

Dougald

She really digs the 80s/early 90s boxy-ish looking bikes so that would be right up her alley.

Other things I've been keeping my eye out were bikes like the Kawasaki GT550, Suzuki GS500, Suzuki SV650, etc. She won't need lots of power but will be riding to work which involves 20 minutes on the motorway, so as long as it can sit at 70mph for that long it's powerful enough. Anything that can be had for around £1000.

...Of course she needs a license first. Did not gel well with her first instructor, so having to go to a different school.

Dougald

Love it!

I still wonder if I made the right choice taking the Street Triple over the Ducati... if only the Ducatis were cheaper (to buy and run)

Dougald

Well I think it's the better bike, at least vs the 696 which is what I could afford for the same budget.

But I'm sure the Ducati "feels" different. Oh well, I'll just have to get that Diavel someday instead....

my old monster

Still miss her :(

I remember that picture, still a very good looking specimen.

Love it!

I still wonder if I made the right choice taking the Street Triple over the Ducati... if only the Ducatis were cheaper (to buy and run)

I haven't really done any side by side comparisons. But the only costs I've had with my Monster 1100 in 4 years (!) is for the 12.000km service. 680 euros, and they really did everything. New belts (internal), valve adjustment, oil, oil filter, brake fluid, air filter cleaning, etc. Seemed no more expensive than most other big maintenance jobs. In fact, I think Scotch spent nearly the same amount on his CB1 for the same sort of work.

Well I think it's the better bike, at least vs the 696 which is what I could afford for the same budget.

But I'm sure the Ducati "feels" different. Oh well, I'll just have to get that Diavel someday instead....

The Street is definitely twice the bike if they cost about the same, much faster than the 696, better brakes. Though the Monster perhaps, just barely, edges it out in the character department (thanks to its engine if you're into that sort of thing).

Dougald

Stuck at home this weekend on-call for work and discovered that Netflix (UK) have now put up the entire Long Way Round series.... and now I want a BMW GS again. Though I really think they should have gone with the lighter GS on that trip, those bikes are clearly too heavy at points.

Did wonders for BMW UK's sales though. KTM really fucked up refusing to sponsor them.

Just came back from test riding a Street Triple R and I am in complete and utter love.

Hah. I know that feeling, it really is a brilliantly built bike. I ended up not paying a premium for the R because I didn't feel I really needed the 4-pot calipers on the front (vs the standard 2), or the stiffer suspension. Also, I'm a shortarse and the R is a good inch higher..

The quickshifter Triumph had installed on their demo bike was great fun though. I keep thinking about putting one on mine, but for £250 + insurance hike, it doesn't seem worth it.

Evo X

Just came back from test riding a Street Triple R and I am in complete and utter love.

That induction sound is intoxicating, right? On my test ride, I kept slowing down then gunning it just to hear it. :D

The Street Triple R is such a wonderful motorcycle, and so easy to ride. I've been wanting to pick one up in Crystal White for the longest time, but might go for a Daytona 675R or 899 Panigale instead just because I'm a sucker for sexy sport bikes.

Had a test ride on the BMW c-Evolution and what a great piece of kit. Its got allot of power off the line and keeps on going to 80mph. I had about 45min in town driving and then a half hour on the motorway and its a pleasure. In town you can pull away from pretty much anything as the power is instant on the motorway I found that the 80mph is a bit restricting but then again its fast enough to keep up with the traffic and you dont feel like you riding a scooter.

Here is a short little video... excuse the shaking as I was so excited to get going. I also did not get onboard footage as I forgot one of my helmet mounts. Not impressed.

http://vimeo.com/103164284

Notes: Its allot of money £13000 and you can only buy it on lease as they dont know what value the bike will have in 3 years but then the batteries is built to be replaced or upgraded. If you have the money for a second bike and you are looking for an awesome piece of tech then this is great. There are a few electric bikes out there but nothing as polished and functional as this bike.

Dougald

Nice vid... if only it wasn't £13k I'd consider it, but I suppose it's more a test bed than anything, can't see them selling many.

I ordered a couple of Sena SMH10 headsets from the USA yesterday. Thanks to the current exchange rate, buying the twin-pack from the US including customs fees costs £5 less than buying a single headset retail over here.

This looks like the new BMW S1000F that is based on the S1000RR and S1000R naked chassis. Its going to compete with the Ducati multistrada. It has a more upright riding style and the front end look of the S1000RR. For me it looks like a Yam Fazer but then I will have to see how it looks in real life. If it gives you loads of fun for daily riding with a more upright riding style it might be a winner. Price is also between £9K and £11K.

PuS4jnn.jpg

gVbRqle.jpg

I much prefer the look of your own K1300 actually. Though this is probably meant to occupy a more tour oriented spot in the range BMW offers?

Dougald

I'm not sure how well it'll do, there are much nicer bikes in that "area", and if you want a more relaxed BMW to tour there is the excellent RT or of course the untouchable GS 1200.

Certainly a good looking design though. How long until Triumph make a complete copy and slap a Triumph badge on the side (Triumph Trophy and Tiger Explorer anyone?). A lot of their recent design philosophy seems to be "copy whatever BMW is selling a lot of"

Dougald

I do like that new-look multistrada a *lot*.... would definitely own one if I could afford it

sure seems to work well enough, I mistake a lot of Tigers for GSs :p

They are *so* damn similar I swear it just boils down to whether you want the triple engine or the boxer twin.

Oh no, I forgot Triumph actually already have their own competitor here, the Tiger 1050 Sport. Which I personally think is hideous, both in the flesh and in pictures.

Finally had some time do my own bike history:

First bike - a 2005 Ducati Monster 620 i.e. Owned 2005-2008

Great bike to start on (it was fitted with a power restriction kit in accordance with local laws that applied back then in the Netherlands), had to ride around with 25kw for two years until it could come off. Luckily it's a twin, so with all that torque I never really noticed much of the restriction. It was a mechanical limiter on throttle (couldn't go any further than like 5 or 6000 rpm), no messing around with air intake or shit like that. Loved it, and did about 13.000km on it (in four years) before I traded it in for the next bike.

Second bike - a 2003 Ducati 998 Owned 2008-2010

Ever since the introduction of the 916 in 1993 of 1994 - this, to me, always seemed like the most beautiful bike ever made and I'm glad to have owned a version of it, even if only for a short time. I bought this one used and it had run for about 23000km when I got it, I think. When I traded it for the next bike (the 1100s) I had only done about 5000 more. This bike just wasn't suited for road use. That thing absolutely needed to go fast or it was massively uncomfortable. When you did go fast though... fucking amazing bike. Razor sharp really. This one time I even managed to do this awesome thing you sometimes see people do on the racetrack where they sort of 'lift' the wheel over the corner (like in this video, though way less extreme :p https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-bbRn2R_w8U )

Had a bit of bad luck with as the previous owner hadn't really kept up with the maintenance while I was told all the necessary work was done. It wasn't... and it never ran quite as good as it should have. The dealer where I ended up trading it in later told me I had dodged a bullet getting rid of it when I did, since some massively important bearing had apparently been just about to give. They had quite a lot of work getting it ready for the showroom again.

Third bike - 1995 Yamaha YZF 750 R Owned 2010-2013

During ownership of the 998 I lived in Amsterdam and didn't have access to a garage, so in early 2010 I bought something to supplement the Duc with (which could be parked on the street relatively safe), the Yamaha YZF 750 R. When I think about it, it was almost as incredible a bike as the 998, but much more comfortable. It used massive amounts of oil, but as long as you kept pouring it in it was all good. Useful issue too. When someone would tailgate me, I'd let them get really close and then fully open the taps, smothering them in massive plumes of smoke. Excellent fun.

Other than the oil issue, it was a brilliant bike with almost telepathic handling and the smoothest 4 cylinder I've ever driven.

Fourth bike - 2010 Ducati Monster 1100s ABS Currently own 2010-

Bought this one new in 2010 (trading in the 998) hoping to avoid all the issues that (for me) came with buying used Ducati's and it seems to have worked thusfar. No issues at all. very reliable.

It's an air cooled, 2 valve per cylinder, 1100cc L-twin. Not as much horsepower as the 998 and it doesn't rev as high, but it's got torque for days. Which means it's more fun to use at lower speeds. I also think this model of monster looks much better than the latest water cooled one. Too heavy, and it shows as well imho.

Fifth bike - 1999 Buell X1 Lightning Currently own 2013-

You know, I thought I couldn't possibly be any more in love with motorcycles... until I rode one of these. What a fucking machine man, I utterly adore it. I still can't quite figure out what it is this thing does so well and it could be that I'm just more susceptible to the Buell's offerings than others (because my friends don't seem to be grabbed by it quite as much). But yeah, for me, this is the absolute pinnacle.

In spring of 2012 I was looking at a Buell XB9 Firebolt, but the price wasn't right as the bike had been out in the rain for a few seasons. My dad and I lowballed the guy a little bit too much and the whole thing fell through, but it was all for the best. After riding the Lightning a year later I figured out I much preferred the tube-frame models. Which led to purchasing the next bike.

Sixth bike - 2002 Buell M2 Cyclone Currently own 2014-

Alright, I will admit this one may have been a bit stupid, being the third bike and all that (and the second one that needs quite a lot of TLC to keep it going). But as I explained in the previous paragraph, I love this brand to bits and I wanted to have another one. This particular example isn't quite standard - it has an expensive dual disc brake setup up front, a more powerful nissin brake caliper at the rear wheel, custom aftermarket rear suspension, an open air filter and a very pricey tail/seat modification - but the guy wasn't asking the world for it (very low mileage as well), this was probably due to it being set up like total shit, but we managed to fix all that. And now I feel like I got a pretty good deal, if you add up the price of all the modifications you can get pretty close that what I paid for the entire bike... of course, I'm going to end up eating some of that paying the bill for the work the local Buell specialist did to iron out the last transmission related kinks. Hopefully I can ride around the remainder of the summer relatively problem-free. Fingers crossed, hehe.

Finally had some time do my own bike history:

First bike - a 2005 Ducati Monster 620 i.e. Owned 2005-2008

Great bike to start on (it was fitted with a power restriction kit in accordance with local laws that applied back then in the Netherlands), had to ride around with 25kw for two years until it could come off. Luckily it's a twin, so with all that torque I never really noticed much of the restriction. It was a mechanical limiter on throttle (couldn't go any further than like 5 or 6000 rpm), no messing around with air intake or shit like that. Loved it, and did about 13.000km on it (in four years) before I traded it in for the next bike.

Second bike - a 2003 Ducati 998 Owned 2008-2010

Ever since the introduction of the 916 in 1993 of 1994 - this, to me, always seemed like the most beautiful bike ever made and I'm glad to have owned a version of it, even if only for a short time. I bought this one used and it had run for about 23000km when I got it, I think. When I traded it for the next bike (the 1100s) I had only done about 5000 more. This bike just wasn't suited for road use. That thing absolutely needed to go fast or it was massively uncomfortable. When you did go fast though... fucking amazing bike. Razor sharp really. This one time I even managed to do this awesome thing you sometimes see people do on the racetrack where they sort of 'lift' the wheel over the corner (like in this video, though way less extreme :p https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-bbRn2R_w8U )

Had a bit of bad luck with as the previous owner hadn't really kept up with the maintenance while I was told all the necessary work was done. It wasn't... and it never ran quite as good as it should have. The dealer where I ended up trading it in later told me I had dodged a bullet getting rid of it when I did, since some massively important bearing had apparently been just about to give. They had quite a lot of work getting it ready for the showroom again.

Third bike - 1995 Yamaha YZF 750 R Owned 2010-2013

During ownership of the 998 I lived in Amsterdam and didn't have access to a garage, so in early 2010 I bought something to supplement the Duc with (which could be parked on the street relatively safe), the Yamaha YZF 750 R. When I think about it, it was almost as incredible a bike as the 998, but much more comfortable. It used massive amounts of oil, but as long as you kept pouring it in it was all good. Useful issue too. When someone would tailgate me, I'd let them get really close and then fully open the taps, smothering them in massive plumes of smoke. Excellent fun.

Other than the oil issue, it was a brilliant bike with almost telepathic handling and the smoothest 4 cylinder I've ever driven.

Fourth bike - 2010 Ducati Monster 1100s ABS Currently own 2010-

Bought this one new in 2010 (trading in the 998) hoping to avoid all the issues that (for me) came with buying used Ducati's and it seems to have worked thusfar. No issues at all. very reliable.

It's an air cooled, 2 valve per cylinder, 1100cc L-twin. Not as much horsepower as the 998 and it doesn't rev as high, but it's got torque for days. Which means it's more fun to use at lower speeds. I also think this model of monster looks much better than the latest water cooled one. Too heavy, and it shows as well imho.

Fifth bike - 1999 Buell X1 Lightning Currently own 2013-

You know, I thought I couldn't possibly be any more in love with motorcycles... until I rode one of these. What a fucking machine man, I utterly adore it. I still can't quite figure out what it is this thing does so well and it could be that I'm just more susceptible to the Buell's offerings than others (because my friends don't seem to be grabbed by it quite as much). But yeah, for me, this is the absolute pinnacle.

In spring of 2012 I was looking at a Buell XB9 Firebolt, but the price wasn't right as the bike had been out in the rain for a few seasons. My dad and I lowballed the guy a little bit too much and the whole thing fell through, but it was all for the best. After riding the Lightning a year later I figured out I much preferred the tube-frame models. Which led to purchasing the next bike.

Sixth bike - 2002 Buell M2 Cyclone Currently own 2014-

Alright, I will admit this one may have been a bit stupid, being the third bike and all that (and the second one that needs quite a lot of TLC to keep it going). But as I explained in the previous paragraph, I love this brand to bits and I wanted to have another one. This particular example isn't quite standard - it has an expensive dual disc brake setup up front, a more powerful nissin brake caliper at the rear wheel, custom aftermarket rear suspension, an open air filter and a very pricey tail/seat modification - but the guy wasn't asking the world for it (very low mileage as well), this was probably due to it being set up like total shit, but we managed to fix all that. And now I feel like I got a pretty good deal, if you add up the price of all the modifications you can get pretty close that what I paid for the entire bike... of course, I'm going to end up eating some of that paying the bill for the work the local Buell specialist did to iron out the last transmission related kinks. Hopefully I can ride around the remainder of the summer relatively problem-free. Fingers crossed, hehe.

There is nothing that can beat a 916 or 998 Ducati in the look and sound department. I had a mate with a 916 and the only complaint was the expensive servicing parts but the looks and sound makes up for that.

I suppose I will put up my own bike history...

First bike - 2004 Honda CBR600RR, 5,000mi:

9696932822_ae2be8df8e.jpg

Although it cannot be seen, this bike was a little beat up (had a couple owners). It ran fine and the frame was good, so that part was ideal for a starting bike. I will say the ergos of this bike sucked, especially for a first bike. That's actually now the main reason I tell people starting on a "600" (sportbike that is only a couple small mods away from being able to be used in an amateur racing class) is a bad idea - learning to ride is already difficult enough. Learning how to ride on a racing machine can be brutal.

Second bike - 2007 Suzuki GSX-R750, 6,000mi:

14730747420_83f3b98968.jpg

It's the bike that didn't have the good, long life it should have. It ended November 6, 2008 when a new driver ran a red light.

5151442178_aec4fd8f1a_z.jpg

RIP in pieces.

Current bike - 2009 Yamaha R1, 29,xxxmi:

6073137036_529170dd56_z.jpg

7469809928_dc30d84841_z.jpg

It's been my favorite so far. I love the power delivery and the way it sounds. It's not a bad-looking bike, either.

7810053118_71a61171d2_c.jpg

Total: ~40,000mi :)

Watcher

I'm looking to buy a new bike this weekend. A few months a go i bought a beat up ninja 250 off CL and it died on me. I had a blast on it tho.

I'm torn between the new yamaha fz07 or a ninja 300. Does anyone have a 300 here? I'm leaning towards the 300 because it's cheaper, gets better gas mileage, and is cheaper to insure but damn the yamaha is sexy. Any insight would be appreciated

Top Bottom