• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2 wheel GAF UNITE!

Haha, looks great. Are there going to be gauntlets/pants/boots as well? This is definitely something you should be taking all the way :p

Looking forward to some shots of the helmet. And of you on the Ruckus in the entire getup of course.

/edit: Looks like I'm taking the bike to work today, so that's another whopping 24 miles for me.

Interesting. If I do brake in(to) a corner I always do so conservatively. And if there is something that requires me to come to a full stop (while in a corner) I stand the bike up asap on purpose. Which is how you would want to go about it, right? A. it lowers the chance of wiping and B. you can't stop leaning over at an angle.

I suppose this system simply makes it easier to stand it up in a controlled fashion?

I have ABS on the Monster 1100 by the way (a simpler version of it). If a bike has the option, I would always take it. It never got in the way of 'a proper brake feel' and it works exactly as shown in the video.

Interesting. If I do brake in(to) a corner I always do so conservatively. And if there is something that requires me to come to a full stop (while in a corner) I stand the bike up asap on purpose. Which is how you would want to go about it, right? A. it lowers the chance of wiping and B. you can't stop leaning over at an angle.

I suppose this system simply makes it easier to stand it up in a controlled fashion?

I have ABS on the Monster 1100 by the way (a simpler version of it). If a bike has the option, I would always take it. It never got in the way of 'a proper brake feel' and it works exactly as shown in the video.

I have never even used my abs or the traction control to what they kit can really do and I think the hardcore track guys might get the best benefit from it. I never ride hard in the rain and when its dry and I dont know the road especially back country roads I try to keep it cool. You never know when a tracktor dropped some mud or gravel. I think if you compare the road in Germany to here in the UK then the German roads does make you feel more relaxed to put on some speed. But then again its all where you live and how well you know the roads you ride.

Gritesh

Going on a trip on the Monster in just under 3 weeks.

Either going to be through BC Canada in the Rockies, or down into Montana.
We are leaning towards BC as it is closer and I know the highways there.

Will be gone for three days, riding about 18 hours in total, around 1600 km's.

Going on a trip on the Monster in just under 3 weeks.

Either going to be through BC Canada in the Rockies, or down into Montana.
We are leaning towards BC as it is closer and I know the highways there.

Will be gone for three days, riding about 18 hours in total, around 1600 km's.

Second that ... photos

Gritesh

I'll do you guys one better there is 4 riders going all going to have go pros mounted one of the guys that's going does video editing so you'll get a nice video at the end :)

Friday eye candy

TvDblDr.jpg

Probably went with some small sized, low weight li-ion battery.

/edit: though there does appear to be something underneath the bike there. Near the kickstand (under the beginning of the driveshaft?).

Dougald

Must be tiny. If I were planning to keep the Street Triple for more than 2-3 years, I'd probably get a Lithium just because of the extra capacity

Finally got a front paddock stand yesterday, and was able to confirm what I suspected every time I pushed the bike about - the front brakes are dragging. Time to clean down the front calipers and change the seals I guess.. I love it really.

Dougald

Yep, did a full teardown on the rear, which now spins freely

I cleared up the fronts a little but obviously the pistons are still sticking as the wheel won't even do a full rotation spinning free. I'll drop the pistons out and give it a proper go. Most people don't seem to bother, but it wears down the pads/discs quicker, so I like to make sure everything is smooth.

Yep, did a full teardown on the rear, which now spins freely

I cleared up the fronts a little but obviously the pistons are still sticking as the wheel won't even do a full rotation spinning free. I'll drop the pistons out and give it a proper go. Most people don't seem to bother, but it wears down the pads/discs quicker, so I like to make sure everything is smooth.

Looks like it might rain tomorrow so you have some time. I was keen to go for a ride but if its going to pour then I might do the ride on Sunday.

It's definitely going to rain tomorrow, because my wife has her first "big bike" lesson in the afternoon!

damn that is not good, she might strike it luck and only get the last bit of the rain as Sunday is going to be much better. Good luck to her for doing the lesson

test rode some harleys today as i cruiser shop. tried a v-rod and a sportster xl1200.

the v-rod is surprisingly light feeling even in parking lots despite the 670ish pound curb weight, but for 115 hp and 75 ft. lb. on torque, it still felt pretty sluggish. handling was okay; scraped pegs in a roundabout. not terribly comfortable. a lot of sound; not a lot of excitement even with a strong roll-on. gearbox was REALLY slick, like rotax smooth. all in all, a pretty boring, mediocre power cruiser despite having a broad rev band to play in.

the sportster xl1200 -- supposedly the "hooligan" hog -- was also meh. rattled a lot and felt fairly gutless, although comfort was decent and it turned well enough. stupid light feeling; almost trivial, in fact. nice sound but no real juice until the mid-range, and even then, an 865cc triumph speedmaster felt more quick and agile.

fit-and-finish was absurdly excellent on both bikes, though, and on ALL the harleys i looked at. unlike the triumph cruisers, all the cabling was clean, the fitments were perfect, and there weren't any unsightly weld seams. i thought of apple computer produckt -- great perceived manufacturing quality, but pretty mediocre performance. you really do buy them for the lifestyle.

also FUCK AIR COOLING. i thought the v-rod was gonna set my right leg on fire.

at least the dealer was really nice! the saleslady did not mock my textile coat and full-face helmet, even when i called the ultraglide an "old man's bike". she did kinda cluck at me when i complained about the heat from the v-rod, though. COME ON LADY, MY RICE BIKES DON'T TRY TO SET MY JEANS ABLAZE.

currently, the new honda valkyrie and the triumph thunderbird storm are in the lead for my dollaz.

edit: hm, i guess the new v-rods are liquid cooled and put down 85ish ft. lbs. of torque? not sure which year i rode (it was burnt orange), because if it WAS liquid cooled, it was still a scorcher.

edit edit: ah, she was full of shit. the v-rod's been water-cooled since it was introduced in like 2003. there's no excuse for the heat from that bike! OFF THE LIST.

Dougald

Harley Really are above the others in fit and finish..

The Thunderbird storm is a decent ride, though I'd rather have the (rare as hell in the UK) valkyrie for my money from those two

You should try the Rocket 3 if you haven't yet. Not that I'm saying you should BUY it, but just to experience it...

^nice, does your wife know? :D

edit: hm, i guess the new v-rods are liquid cooled and put down 85ish ft. lbs. of torque? not sure which year i rode (it was burnt orange), because if it WAS liquid cooled, it was still a scorcher.

edit edit: ah, she was full of shit. the v-rod's been water-cooled since it was introduced in like 2003. there's no excuse for the heat from that bike! OFF THE LIST.

Yeah, I wanted to say... that particular engine was codeveloped with Porsche if I'm not mistaken. And yep, liquid cooled. Sounds great. But no guts though? Interesting... My Buells have plenty luckily :D.

Took the M2 to the shop this morning with my buddy. They're going to get the transmission sorted out and fit it with a Torque Hammer exhaust to give it that proper noise.

Mengy

wishes it were bannable to say mean things about Marvel
fit-and-finish was absurdly excellent on both bikes, though, and on ALL the harleys i looked at. unlike the triumph cruisers, all the cabling was clean, the fitments were perfect, and there weren't any unsightly weld seams. i thought of apple computer produckt -- great perceived manufacturing quality, but pretty mediocre performance. you really do buy them for the lifestyle.

also FUCK AIR COOLING. i thought the v-rod was gonna set my right leg on fire.

at least the dealer was really nice! the saleslady did not mock my textile coat and full-face helmet, even when i called the ultraglide an "old man's bike".

The Ultra's may be "old man's bikes" but man do I love them. By far the most comfortable bike I've ever owned or ridden for long trips. This is my old man's bike:

There is much more to a Harley than just the lifestyle. They really do ride like no other bike on the market. And I'm not saying they ride better than other bikes, that would be a lie. But it's a feeling while riding that other bikes just don't provide. It's kind of like comparing an old MG to a modern Miata. Sure the Miata is a "better" car but the MG has a feeling to it that no modern car can provide. I love the low RPMs but high torque and HP of the Harleys. I suppose it all just comes down to preference.

And I actually prefer air cooling on the Harleys. The less moving parts and the simpler the better, that just means less to break down when you are 4000 miles from home.

Watevaman

Speaking of Harleys, I rode my friend's Iron 883 back from the shop for him the other day and forgot to mention that, after actually riding on real roads, it's pretty uncomfortable. My GS500 is sprung for someone who weighs at least 20 pounds more than I do with gear on, but this Sportster just took everything up a notch. It wasn't terrible, but it was stiff to the point that every little bump in the road went straight into my back. I'm really hoping the larger bikes in their lineup are more generous in their damper strength.

Then there's the vibrations. I honestly can't see a point of having a bike vibrate that much at idle.

Dougald

I'd like to take a moment to personally extend my gratitude to the previous owner of my bike for starting the job of removing the front-left brake caliper, totally rounding out the banjo bolt on the brake line, then giving up

oh, i ain't belittling the "harley experience" outside of my own inability to connect with it. me, i like the manic edge of an inline-4, and to me, both the v-rod (which revved high at least) and the sportster just felt luggy and loud.

i really REALLY liked the new honda valkyrie, and it's probably my choice, but i got until mid-september to sample other wares...

There is much more to a Harley than just the lifestyle. They really do ride like no other bike on the market. And I'm not saying they ride better than other bikes, that would be a lie. But it's a feeling while riding that other bikes just don't provide. It's kind of like comparing an old MG to a modern Miata. Sure the Miata is a "better" car but the MG has a feeling to it that no modern car can provide. I love the low RPMs but high torque and HP of the Harleys. I suppose it all just comes down to preference.

Agreed. It's why I love my Buells so much. There is nothing that even comes close, it's just so... alive, I guess. I really should be able to do a better job of describing it, but I guess that's what it is.

And I actually prefer air cooling on the Harleys. The less moving parts and the simpler the better, that just means less to break down when you are 4000 miles from home.

Ooh, yeah, well, about that :p.

Speaking of Harleys, I rode my friend's Iron 883 back from the shop for him the other day and forgot to mention that, after actually riding on real roads, it's pretty uncomfortable. My GS500 is sprung for someone who weighs at least 20 pounds more than I do with gear on, but this Sportster just took everything up a notch. It wasn't terrible, but it was stiff to the point that every little bump in the road went straight into my back. I'm really hoping the larger bikes in their lineup are more generous in their damper strength.

That's a problem with most bikes that have a really upright riding position. I think having your spine upright puts it precisely in line with the shockabsorbers with every little bump going straight up there. It's why I feel my more sporty nakeds actually offer more comfort than say... a GS1200 or something.

Then there's the vibrations. I honestly can't see a point of having a bike vibrate that much at idle.

Seeing the bike almost shake itself to pieces at idle is a sight to behold imho. Fucking love it.

I'd like to take a moment to personally extend my gratitude to the previous owner of my bike for starting the job of removing the front-left brake caliper, totally rounding out the banjo bolt on the brake line, then giving up

Haha, oh jeez that's rough man.

oh, i ain't belittling the "harley experience" outside of my own inability to connect with it. me, i like the manic edge of an inline-4, and to me, both the v-rod (which revved high at least) and the sportster just felt luggy and loud.

When you get the chance, try a YZF750R sometimes. Both crazy quick and incredibly smooth. Coolest I4 I've ever driven.

Dougald

That's nice, quite a different take on the cruiser (well, as different as you can really go). It's something Indian will need to do to be successful really, as, much as I think their full-dress tourer is awesome, you can't trade on nostalgia forever.

Sign me up for an Indian Chief Vintage any day, though

dFhMzIw.jpg

Dougald

Why **WOULDN'T** I do that?

Apart from that fact that you'd look like an utter idiot in England doing that. But then that's never stopped me before

Dougald

I wholeheartedly agree. Still think its awesome though, in a "portal to the tacky dimension" way

But then I want my retirement bike to be a Goldwing starship complete with running lights. So I probably have no taste in that respect

I wholeheartedly agree. Still think its awesome though, in a "portal to the tacky dimension" way

But then I want my retirement bike to be a Goldwing starship complete with running lights. So I probably have no taste in that respect

Well, might as well do it right I guess :p

/edit: the longer I look at that Indian, the more I start to like it. Can't decide what the best color is, they all look really great.

Mengy

wishes it were bannable to say mean things about Marvel
2015 indian scout

scout-indian-red.jpg

Eh, it's alright, but I'd much rather have a Harley or a Triumph. I hope it does sell well though, as I like the history of Indian and want them to succeed. They just aren't for me, something about the look of it puts me off.

However, a test ride could entirely change my opinion of it. Maybe I'll have to visit a dealer and take one for as spin...

Dougald

For the man who wants a cruiser, but can't bear to lose the torque of a smaller bike

In the words of my local dealer "the torque setting required on the gearbox is so high we just send it back to the Hinckley factory"

For the man who wants a cruiser, but can't bear to lose the torque of a smaller bike

In the words of my local dealer "the torque setting required on the gearbox is so high we just send it back to the Hinckley factory"

That is gorgeous. I want it.

The new Indian looks great too. I saw some when I was up at the shop the other day getting new tires.

Top Bottom