• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2 wheel GAF UNITE!

Duderz

Banned
If I weren't so short I'd take the Indian Chieftain any day. (minus the tassels of course...but I love that leather!) I'm not so in love with the Scout as much as I was hoping. Liquid cooled engine + enormous radiator just doesn't do it for me. I wish the wheels were spoked too...I guess I'm just looking for a more classic looking bike, and less of what it is.

Of course, I wish them well, as any competition to Harley is a welcome thing. I'll be sure to test ride it as soon as they start arriving at the dealers at the end of the year, as everything I've read about them so far is pretty glowing.

Hey 2 wheel Gaf! I see you admiring those beautiful bikes but could help out someone who will soon join your ranks?

So, I'm in the UK, just got my CBT. I can ride any 125cc bike, no passengers, no highway/motorway allowed.

I've been looking at the CBF125, CBR125 and now MSX125. All seem like good bikes, obviously different styles of bikes but I just wanted to get your opinion, any previous experience etc. Also, alternatives like the Yamaha etc.

I want something I can get rid of quickly (lets say a year) without losing a lot of money, I want to move up to a bigger bike once I get a hang of riding.

I'm test riding the MSX this weekend, any tips on how judge if the bike is good or rubbish?

Also, advice for novice bikers, what kind of shit do you have to deal with as a biker? Essential kits? Hidden Costs?

Well, might as well do it right I guess :p

/edit: the longer I look at that Indian, the more I start to like it. Can't decide what the best color is, they all look really great.

good write-up on the scout: http://www.motorcycle-usa.com/155/18963/Motorcycle-Article/2015-Indian-Scout-First-Ride.aspx

spec-wise, it shits all over the sportster. that said, i can't imagine why anyone would want to ride a sportster.

me, ghastly badging side, i've got a boner for the victory gunner:

2015-victory-gunner-wallpaper-16.jpg

i'd pick one up, but i've got friends at the local triumph dealership and i'm pretty sure i'll go with a speedmaster or a thunderbolt storm, depending on how i feel about pushing 750 lbs around in my tiny garage and hilly driveway...

Mengy

wishes it were bannable to say mean things about Marvel
good write-up on the scout: http://www.motorcycle-usa.com/155/18963/Motorcycle-Article/2015-Indian-Scout-First-Ride.aspx

spec-wise, it shits all over the sportster. that said, i can't imagine why anyone would want to ride a sportster.

There are several reasons why someone would pick a Harley sportster over the Indian scout:

1. Aftermarket parts - tons of options for customization and upgrades
2. Harley dealer network - many people like the idea that no matter where or how far away they ride there is an extensive dealer support network that is willing to go the extra mile to help them if needed.
3. Looks - the scout looks nice, but some people prefer something more "rugged" looking. I know I prefer the look of the sportster.
4. Ride feel - the scout sits more aggressive and is a higher revving bike. A lot of people prefer a more upright position and a lower revving motor.

Choosing a bike for you is not always about the best specs nor the fastest ride. Different strokes for different folks and all that. :)

I barely use the back brake (it has a tendency to lock the wheel on my Bonneville).

Smooth, progressive use of the front brake is all you need in most situations. Gently apply the back brake just before stopping to prevent the forks diving, and you should come to a smooth stop every time

i use the rear brake exclusively for low speed control (0-5 mph) and parking lot maneuvers.

There are several reasons why someone would pick a Harley sportster over the Indian scout:

1. Aftermarket parts - tons of options for customization and upgrades
2. Harley dealer network - many people like the idea that no matter where or how far away they ride there is an extensive dealer support network that is willing to go the extra mile to help them if needed.
3. Looks - the scout looks nice, but some people prefer something more "rugged" looking. I know I prefer the look of the sportster.
4. Ride feel - the scout sits more aggressive and is a higher revving bike. A lot of people prefer a more upright position and a lower revving motor.

Choosing a bike for you is not always about the best specs nor the fastest ride. Different strokes for different folks and all that. :)

this is true, especially the dealer network advantage.

that said, i never woulda associated the "sportster" and "rugged-looking" -- it's a damn clean city-lookin' bike.

what's the appeal of a lower-revving motor? while they put the torque out lower, they just feel sluggish to me unless they put down a LOT of flat torque and spin up quick.

Dougald

Hey 2 wheel Gaf! I see you admiring those beautiful bikes but could help out someone who will soon join your ranks?

So, I'm in the UK, just got my CBT. I can ride any 125cc bike, no passengers, no highway/motorway allowed.

I've been looking at the CBF125, CBR125 and now MSX125. All seem like good bikes, obviously different styles of bikes but I just wanted to get your opinion, any previous experience etc. Also, alternatives like the Yamaha etc.

I want something I can get rid of quickly (lets say a year) without losing a lot of money, I want to move up to a bigger bike once I get a hang of riding.

I'm test riding the MSX this weekend, any tips on how judge if the bike is good or rubbish?

Also, advice for novice bikers, what kind of shit do you have to deal with as a biker? Essential kits? Hidden Costs?

Congratulations for taking on the increasingly bureaucratic nightmare that is the process to get a British motorcycle license! Are you over 25? That's the easiest way to progress to a full endorsement

On bikes, well, hands down the MSX *is* a good bike! Heck half of us here with full licenses wouldn't mind one. You didn't mention if you're buying new or used, though. If you're buying used then I'd probably look at
- Check for scratches on forks, fairings, tank etc to see if its been dropped (very likely with a 125 here). You're in the UK so RUST too..
- Condition of chain & sprocket, brake discs, pads, tyres.. raise the front wheel if you can and check if the steering is notchy. Simple things like checking all the lights etc work too.
- If you're test riding then check for any vibration under heavy braking, make sure you can smoothly select all gears etc.
- Any service history is probably good. These little bikes get ragged around by 17 year olds who will range in ownership from loving care to "left it in a ditch overnight" (okay, maybe a little exaggeration)

If you're buying new then all I can say is, ride a bunch of different bikes and see what you like/don't like. What's your budget? The Yamaha MT-125 is an awesome looking little bike, and if I were buying a brand new 125 it would be between that and the MSX, but maybe both of these are a little pricey for something you're keeping a year.

You are invisible to everyone on the road over here. If you never assume anyone's seen you then you'll be fine. Oh, and filtering past stationary/very slow moving traffic is perfectly legal if done safely, but I wouldn't be tempted to do it until you've got a bit of experience under your belt. Just don't cross any solid white lines or go around traffic islands on the wrong side of the road!

That is gorgeous. I want it.

The new Indian looks great too. I saw some when I was up at the shop the other day getting new tires.

It pulls like a freight train. When I tested the Street Triple my friend came with me and rode the Rocket III. Lets just say he effortlessly overtook me when I thought I was giving my bike a workout up to the speed limit.

this is true, especially the dealer network advantage.

that said, i never woulda associated the "sportster" and "rugged-looking" -- it's a damn clean city-lookin' bike.

what's the appeal of a lower-revving motor? while they put the torque out lower, they just feel sluggish to me unless they put down a LOT of flat torque and spin up quick.

Well, the appeal of a lower revving motor (provided it actually generates some torque down low) is that it's good for a lot more fun at speeds that won't cost you your license. Trouble is that standard sportster engines aren't exactly impressive in that department. Test-rode the 883 Roadster last year for shits and giggles but man, that thing was just asthmatic. Really needs to be a 1200 (and even then I've read those don't really compare to what those engines are like in Buell bikes).

Mengy

Just the way it rides. What some call sluggish others call meaty. For example, my tour glide will never beat a Goldwing or a KG1600 in a race, but I can pull any hill in sixth gear with a passenger and 100 lbs of cargo on board with the engine under 3000rpm. It's just a ride style that a lot of people like, one that most other bikes do not replicate. Hard to explain unless you've spent a lot of time in the seat of both Harleys and other brands for comparison.

Test-rode the 883 Roadster last year for shits and giggles but man, that thing was just asthmatic. Really needs to be a 1200 (and even then I've read those don't really compare to what those engines are like in Buell bikes).

My brother used to have Buell as his second bike just for fun, man was that a great bike to ride. I'd never own one because I'd kill myself, it just wanted to go fast. The stock 883's are kind of dogs, but lots of people buy them and hop them up because it's real easy to get them running like demons. You can get them to a crazy horsepower to weight ratio fairly cheaply.

Still, if you want to go fast in the curves then IMHO a Harley is not what you should be buying in the first place. There are tons of better and more affordable bikes for riding like that.

Evo X

QW7s3Nw.jpg

aah I still need to see if I can get a test ride on this beast

I had one of these for a week while my 848 Evo was at the dealer for service. Crazy torque beast. Combined with the fat rear tire, it just launched you like a rocket from a standstill. Termi exhaust sounded badass too. Super comfortable for rolling around town. If I was getting a cruiser style bike, this would definitely be at the top of my list.

I had one of these for a week while my 848 Evo was at the dealer for service. Crazy torque beast. Combined with the fat rear tire, it just launched you like a rocket from a standstill. Termi exhaust sounded badass too. Super comfortable for rolling around town. If I was getting a cruiser style bike, this would definitely be at the top of my list.

See, now that is a smart dealer.

Round here you have to bring your own ride if you want to get back after you've dropped off your bike.

Evo X

See, now that is a smart dealer.

Round here you have to bring your own ride if you want to get back after you've dropped off your bike.

Yeah, I love my dealer. So much so, that I will buy from them even if I can get a lower price elsewhere. The level of attention and service is unparalleled.

They always have fun rides and meetups in the city and organize great track days. They also let me borrow whichever bike I want from their fleet of Triumph and Ducati demo bikes. It's given me a chance to try so many different bikes that I never would otherwise, and see how they would actually be to own and live with on a daily basis.

Damn, I'm totally missing out over here. Guess I'll have to inform my dealer of the existence of these practices, perhaps it'll serve as an inspiration.

Mengy

Yeah, I love my dealer. So much so, that I will buy from them even if I can get a lower price elsewhere. The level of attention and service is unparalleled.

They always have fun rides and meetups in the city and organize great track days. They also let me borrow whichever bike I want from their fleet of Triumph and Ducati demo bikes. It's given me a chance to try so many different bikes that I never would otherwise, and see how they would actually be to own and live with on a daily basis.

Most of the Harley dealers in my area have meetups and events like rides, movie nights, open houses, etc. However, they certainly aren't letting people borrow bikes and stuff, your dealer sounds freaking awesome. Taking bikes out for little test rides sure, but not like what you are talking about. Make sure you appreciate that dealer!

Hilti92

I will be joining 2 wheel GAF next week as I have a motorcycle course booked and paid for. Two 9 hour classes and a 3 hour class and I will have my Learner Motorcycle license!

Congratulations for taking on the increasingly bureaucratic nightmare that is the process to get a British motorcycle license! Are you over 25? That's the easiest way to progress to a full endorsement

On bikes, well, hands down the MSX *is* a good bike! Heck half of us here with full licenses wouldn't mind one. You didn't mention if you're buying new or used, though. If you're buying used then I'd probably look at
- Check for scratches on forks, fairings, tank etc to see if its been dropped (very likely with a 125 here). You're in the UK so RUST too..
- Condition of chain & sprocket, brake discs, pads, tyres.. raise the front wheel if you can and check if the steering is notchy. Simple things like checking all the lights etc work too.
- If you're test riding then check for any vibration under heavy braking, make sure you can smoothly select all gears etc.
- Any service history is probably good. These little bikes get ragged around by 17 year olds who will range in ownership from loving care to "left it in a ditch overnight" (okay, maybe a little exaggeration)

If you're buying new then all I can say is, ride a bunch of different bikes and see what you like/don't like. What's your budget? The Yamaha MT-125 is an awesome looking little bike, and if I were buying a brand new 125 it would be between that and the MSX, but maybe both of these are a little pricey for something you're keeping a year.

You are invisible to everyone on the road over here. If you never assume anyone's seen you then you'll be fine. Oh, and filtering past stationary/very slow moving traffic is perfectly legal if done safely, but I wouldn't be tempted to do it until you've got a bit of experience under your belt. Just don't cross any solid white lines or go around traffic islands on the wrong side of the road!

Thanks for all the tips man. I'm only 22 so I'll be on the 125 till I turn 24.

I'm buying new but my budget isn't great either so at this point it'll probably be the CBF. I might be able to sell it for a good price one I upgrade.

I've possibly bumped into another issue. A dealer I went to might have put incorrect data into the finance application. I haven't worked for 3 years so I don't qualify for Honda finance but I think the other lender - motonovo - might have the same clause. I've apparently been approved but haven't got the paperwork yet.

The guy's being shady right?

Also, thanks for the road tips. Luckily I'm fairly sensible about these things.

Thanks for all the tips man. I'm only 22 so I'll be on the 125 till I turn 24.

I'm buying new but my budget isn't great either so at this point it'll probably be the CBF. I might be able to sell it for a good price one I upgrade.

I've possibly bumped into another issue. A dealer I went to might have put incorrect data into the finance application. I haven't worked for 3 years so I don't qualify for Honda finance but I think the other lender - motonovo - might have the same clause. I've apparently been approved but haven't got the paperwork yet.

The guy's being shady right?

Also, thanks for the road tips. Luckily I'm fairly sensible about these things.

Just a few notes from my side... the CBR125 and CBF125 is a full size bike where the MSX125 is a smaller bike and is a different ride. The CBR125 is better looking in my opinion. The MSX is a excelent fun bike to ride but its a very smaller feel. If you want to get use to a full size bike then the CBR and CBF.... if you looking for something like a monkey bike type of ride then the MSX is awesome.

I test rode the msx and its good fun and for the price its a good buy. But then again it goes for the other two bikes too. They are all great little bikes.

So its up to you... full size bike or a smaller bike.

Good luck - CBR125r is my choice for looks lol

ad9ouN2.jpg

Or the YZF-R125

uNxEM1e.jpg

Horseticuffs

Full werewolf off the buckle
Okay, I know it isn't advisable to order online. That said, there's no dealerships in my area and if I had a vehicle at my disposal I wouldn't need to buy one.

So, all that said, I'm in the market for a 50cc scooter. Has anyone had any luck or recommendations of a reputable dealer that sells online to the continental US? Ideally one that will ship fully assembled for a nominal fee?

Cool. So the article pretty much says the ybr is better and I'm happy go with that, not a brand whore. Outside of the product features is there something that makes either one a better choice? One thought is that the honda hold its value better.

What do you think?

I have a mate that uses the Honda CBF125 everyday here in the UK and he has had no trouble with it. The reason he went for the CBF is that it did have a small wind protector screen and here in the UK you take what protection you can get. If I was you go to the dealers around your area and go and test drive the bikes. You might be surprised to which one you lean to.

Dougald

I'm of the opinion you can't go wrong with a CBF. It's the spiritual successor to the bulletproof CB125 after all

The Yamaha isn't a bad bike either, there's a reason my wifes Chinese bike is a straight up copy of it. But for my money I'd buy the Honda. Lots of reasonable used examples around too, might be worth considering as you're likely to drop it in some hilariously embarrassing manner. But then if you buy new at least you don't know some Teenager has ragged it to pieces, so it's up to you.

Alright guys. Thank you all so much for the advice. I'm gonna go for a test ride on both asap and get whichever feels the best.

I'll post my 125cc beast on here when I get it.

I know you'll be waiting with bated breath ;)

Not sure if this link works: click (my bike starts a bit lower down in the album)

But the shop where I took the M2 to keeps photo albums from the work they do on the bikes and today they did mine. Very good use of facebook imho.

Not sure if this link works: click (my bike starts a bit lower down in the album)

But the shop where I took the M2 to keeps photo albums from the work they do on the bikes and today they did mine. Very good use of facebook imho.

That is a good use... but I can think it does take time to take the photos while you work. Maybe they have someone just taking the photos.

Dougald

That's a really nice touch of the garage actually. Nice to see what work has actually been done on the bike

I also really like that VanVan.. there are a lot of nice learner-legal bikes out there

StuKen

I had a ybr125 about 6 months as my proper first bike. Its cheap, frugal and almost indestructible. You wont be doing any motorway or even national roads on it though. The fastest you will get out if it is 110kph and that's downhill with a tailwind. You are going to miss out on a big chunk of skills as you learn by not being able to use it effectively on the majority of roads out there. Go for the cheapest junker 500cc you can find. It will be more capable, less stressful riding at traffic speed and you will not care about dropping it. While the 125 might seem like a good choice now you will be bored of it in 6 months as your skills increase and you will be out of pocket as you upgrade to a larger bike. It happened to me. I went for a ybr125, kept it for 6 months and sold it for a brand new GS500F. That thing was so good I kept for 5 years even after upgrading to an XT660.

Awesome, always had a soft spot for the XT600 after reading the Joe Bar Team comics.

joebar_f.faeding_xt605icmu.jpg

oh shit, they aren't that expensive here either. Couple of good ones (in supermotard guise) on the local craigslist equivalent. Shouldn't have looked.

Dougald

Problem is in the UK, you can't easily go for anything over 125cc as anything over 125 requires going through the painful licensing process.

Category AM (moped) – minimum age 16

two-wheeled vehicle with a maximum design speed of 45 km/h (28 mph)
three- or four-wheeled vehicle with a maximum design speed over 25 km/h (15.5 mph), up to 50 cc and with a power output not exceeding 4 kW.

Category A1 – minimum age 17

motorcycles up to 125 cc, with a power output not exceeding 11 kW
tricycles with a power output not exceeding 15 kW.

Category A2 – minimum age 19

motorcycles with a power output not exceeding 35 kW.

Category A

unrestricted motorcycles with a power output over 35 kW (minimum age 24 under direct access, or 21 under progressive access)
tricycles with a power output over 15 kW (minimum age 21).

Category AM/A1 can be ridden with a provisional license (you just need to take a safety course), but you cannot go on the Motorway, or take pillion passengers. The safety course expires every two years.

You cannot gain an A2 license unless you have held an A1 license for at least two years

You cannot gain an A license unless you have held an A2 license for at least two years, OR you are over 25 years old.

Every full license requires the rider to pass a safety course, written theory test, and two practical tests. The new system is frankly insane.

StuKen

Didn't know about the minimum holding time for an A2 in the UK. You can go straight onto an A2 in Ireland as long as you have done the IBT and have a bike that meets the power requirements. I thought that the licencing requirements were being standardised across the eu to avoid this kind of rubbish?

Dougald

Well as usual here's how it went:

- EU made some guideline legislation
- DVLA misread it and applied it over-zealously
- Everyone complains, DVLA blames EU

You used to be able to take the standard A1 test and then upgrade automatically to an A license after 2 years. Now if you start riding a bike at 17 you have to take 3 lots of tests, each comprising of theory and 2x practical

All in the name of "safety", irony being there are less people taking their motorcycle test now than ever before. Which means that most new riders have a whopping 6 hours of training on the road before they are given a motorcycle. At least if you're over 25 you can still go straight to an A license, though the tests are painful.

This was my first bike. Was not allowed to ride it on the road as I did not have a license but in that time you could get away with it if no one was looking.... hehe. My Dad bought it for himself and then it became mine after two years. This thing was bullet proof and was a pleasure to ride.

neg7Awc.jpg

Dougald

Awesome little bike, mechanically simple..

I kind of wish I'd owned a small bike for a while instead of starting on a larger-displacement, my first bike was the Bonneville.

Mengy

This was my first bike. Was not allowed to ride it on the road as I did not have a license but in that time you could get away with it if no one was looking.... hehe. My Dad bought it for himself and then it became mine after two years. This thing was bullet proof and was a pleasure to ride.

neg7Awc.jpg

Cool. This was my first road bike that I ever owned:

22101_0_8_3_kz%20250%20ltd_James%20Lachapelle.jpg

It was a 1980 Kawasaki 250 LTD, I bought it used back in 1986 for $200, I was 16 years old, lol. It was fun to ride but such a dog, I could barely do the speed limit at 55mph solo. I had to adjust the points every 500 miles because they would constantly go out of alignment. It did get insane gas mileage though, but heck back then gas was $0.80 per gallon so who cared!!!!

Cool. This was my first road bike that I ever owned:

22101_0_8_3_kz%20250%20ltd_James%20Lachapelle.jpg

It was a 1980 Kawasaki 250 LTD, I bought it used back in 1986 for $200, I was 16 years old, lol. It was fun to ride but such a dog, I could barely do the speed limit at 55mph solo. I had to adjust the points every 500 miles because they would constantly go out of alignment. It did get insane gas mileage though, but heck back then gas was $0.80 per gallon so who cared!!!!

Windshield... wow that was lush way back. I was hiding behind the light. Nice starter bike.

Damaged

Ooh bike history posts, nice idea :)

My first road bike was a Honda XLR125, rode it for a year on a CBT with L plates and loved every mile. Still some of my favourite biking memories

Passed my test and moved onto a Suzuki DRZ400 which was so much fun but I was starting to drool over supermotos already

Sure enough six months later I made the mistake of walking into a KTM dealer and walked out with a KTM 640 LC4 SM

Rode that for years and eventually had a pretty big accident avoiding a car going the wrong way round a roundabout, ended up not being able to reach the high seat for a year or two with ongoing surgery so bought this little beastie, a Kawasaki Zephyr 750, was a bit rattly but it ran okay and was low enough for me to ride while i was still on crutches

That went after a couple of years and I got the Aprillia and still have the KTM sat in the garage as well (though its currently for sale)

EDIT: I wont put pics up of the trials bikes I had as a kid but I rode a twin shock Yamaha TY80 and the last twin shock Montessa 248 cota. both great fun

Ooh bike history posts, nice idea :)

My first road bike was a Honda XLR125, rode it for a year on a CBT with L plates and loved every mile. Still some of my favourite biking memories

Passed my test and moved onto a Suzuki DRZ400 which was so much fun but I was starting to drool over supermotos already

Sure enough six months later I made the mistake of walking into a KTM dealer and walked out with a KTM 640 LC4 SM

Rode that for years and eventually had a pretty big accident avoiding a car going the wrong way round a roundabout, ended up not being able to reach the high seat for a year or two with ongoing surgery so bought this little beastie, a Kawasaki Zephyr 750, was a bit rattly but it ran okay and was low enough for me to ride while i was still on crutches

That went after a couple of years and I got the Aprillia and still have the KTM sat in the garage as well (though its currently for sale)

EDIT: I wont put pics up of the trials bikes I had as a kid but I rode a twin shock Yamaha TY80 and the last twin shock Montessa 248 cota. both great fun

Nice array of bike... and glad you are doing ok after the off.

Damaged

Nice array of bike... and glad you are doing ok after the off.

Thanks man, its been seven years now so I'm pretty good aside from some metalwork in my knee and a bit of arthritis.

Would be interested to see everyone else's past bike loves :D

Edit: would have loved your XT by the way, amazing bikes

Damaged

Bonnie

Ex-UK police escort ST1100

Yamaha FZS600 Fazer

And of course current bike, Street Triple

Bonus, wife's Chinese monstrosity. She put the Autobots badge on it

Nice varied mix, was always curious about the ex police bikes. Everyone keeps telling me they are the perfect commuter tools

Dougald

Nice varied mix, was always curious about the ex police bikes. Everyone keeps telling me they are the perfect commuter tools

Brilliant for commuting (except filtering, too damn wide), I rode that all winter long and barely felt the chill. It still had all the police buttons too (even the flashers). If you wear high-vis and a white helmet, it's a sea of brake lights in front. Thing is surprisingly good at corners too, I only sold it because I'm just too damn short.

The only problem was the Swingarm on the one I had was rotten through, had to remove and have it welded - common problem on the ST1100 in the UK, so that's the main thing to watch out for. The engines are totally bulletproof, and it's a shaft drive so no real maintenance, just change the gearbox oil and grease the shaft every year or two.

Top Bottom