• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2 wheel GAF UNITE!

Jackson

Had a crazy experience!

Just got off the 520 bridge to Seattle which is a almost a mile long two lane highway bridge over Lake Washington with a concrete divider separating on coming traffic.

I'm cruising along in the fast lane and I see this car next to me and notice a man in his late 60's glance into his side mirror. I'm like "I bet he doesn't see me". So I was just about to gun it to get out his blindspot. Sure enough he just merges into my lane to pass a car ahead of him with me still in my lane... I lay into my horn which startles him, he slows down but get closer to me since now there's a car to his right. So I'm half a foot from a 3 foot concrete barrier to my left and a big sedan about 2 feet to my right as we do 60+ mph to pass the other car. I keep going slower to squeeze backwards away from him. After about 20 seconds or so he passes and I'm free and clear. I flip him off as he looks in his rear view (which is super rare for me...) and he merges to the slow lane and I drive me and he waves at me and looks sheepish. I just shake my head and go on.

I remembers my MSF course instructor saying either pass a car or stay away, don't get I their blindspot, just as I did guy merges. Glad I had the teaching to be aware as it happened.

I wasn't panicked or scared during or after. Just angry lol

Had a crazy experience!

Just got off the 520 bridge to Seattle which is a almost a mile long two lane highway bridge over Lake Washington with a concrete divider separating on coming traffic.

I'm cruising along in the fast lane and I see this car next to me and notice a man in his late 60's glance into his side mirror. I'm like "I bet he doesn't see me". So I was just about to gun it to get out his blindspot. Sure enough he just merges into my lane to pass a car ahead of him with me still in my lane... I lay into my horn which startles him, he slows down but get closer to me since now there's a car to his right. So I'm half a foot from a 3 foot concrete barrier to my left and a big sedan about 2 feet to my right as we do 60+ mph to pass the other car. I keep going slower to squeeze backwards away from him. After about 20 seconds or so he passes and I'm free and clear. I flip him off as he looks in his rear view (which is super rare for me...) and he merges to the slow lane and I drive me and he waves at me and looks sheepish. I just shake my head and go on.

I remembers my MSF course instructor saying either pass a car or stay away, don't get I their blindspot, just as I did guy merges. Glad I had the teaching to be aware as it happened.

Damn, shitty situation. Was there a car directly behind you?

Evo X

Unfortunately, there is not much we can do to guard ourselves against dumb drivers other than to always be on the lookout and anticipate their dumb movements.

Hell, I was riding my brother in laws bike last week, and a lady in an SUV just ran a stop sign and almost clipped me. I always breakaway from traffic whenever I can, and ride as if everyone else on the road is out to kill me.

Yeah thick traffic. Beginning of rush hour. In another 30 mins it would be bumper to bumper.

The only thing I can suggest is double tapping your brake lights if you see a situation like that about to happen. It won't slow you down but the guy behind you might give you some extra room in case you need to brake suddenly.

Wolfe

Had a crazy experience!

At least this didn't happen in the slow lane, I'd hate to feel like I was close to being knocked off the bridge lol.

I actually had an issue on that bridge myself in the slow lane just as I crested the hill on the bridge going eastbound during the week of sea fair back in 09 I think (was that year with the week or so long heat wave that got up into the hundreds). It was early afternoon and traffic was fucked, bumper to bumper stop and go. I was so hot I had to unzip my jacket to air out and I had sweat pouring down my torso. Then the heat killed my battery, fucking killed it. Just sitting there on the bridge in shitty ass traffic with a dead battery just as the long straight started.

I got lucky and there was a SDOT guy not far behind that hooked me up with a tow to that little park and ride (that used to be there?) at the other side just past the first underpass. From there I had a buddy help me out with a ride to get a new battery but damn that series of events fucked up my day at the time lol. Now that I think about it that was also well before that toll got put in, stupid damn toll.

Now that I think about it I'm also reminded of another story that is more similar to yours also in that area.

One morning I'm heading to work, it's daylight out but I left early so the traffic is pretty light at this point. Again I'm heading eastbound on 520 towards Redmond, in the fast lane approaching the bridge with no cars directly in front of or behind me on the road (basically just me cruising along by myself). I'm coming up on that last freeway entrance before the bridge and there's a single white BMW with this blonde girl heading towards the merge. With my speed I catch up to her just as she merges into the slow lane and immediately my spider sense imagines her merging into my lane, even though there is no one in front of or behind her on the road at this point. Before I even have time to react, sure enough, she decides she instead desires to be in the fast lane for no reason whatsoever and without even a glance to the side or her mirrors she moves over. At this point I'm directly to the side of her and I swerve a bit while blaring the horn, she of course gets startled because she had no idea I was there since she couldn't even be bothered to look and goes back into the slow lane.

I am grateful that I didn't have to experience what being smashed between a car and the center divider feels like and I give her looks (which she of course can't see through my tinted visor) before shaking my head and accelerating away from her. I should have anticipated the events better but in the end I avoided harm so I will call it a win. Still boggles my mind thinking back to that day though and even though it only happened in a few seconds, seeing this lady move over into my lane like that without even glancing. Eyes completely ahead the entire time.

Also, un moto related (although I was riding at the time) but also going eastbound just as I got onto the start of the bridge I witnessed the bald eagle that got hit by the bus as it happened. Shit sucked, don't know if you recall that but I remember looking it up online later that day and seeing that people had apparently named him Joe (I think) and whatnot. Loved seeing those bald eagles chilling on the light posts as I took the bridge back and forth, always wondered if the female ever found another mate in the area as I've now moved back to Cali.

Any opinions on the Kawasaki ZX14R? I was dead-set on getting a cruiser but a lot of the reviews I read / watch abut this one says that it's actually a smooth ride in a "sport tourer" sense.

Plus it looks fucking hot.

maxresdefault.jpg

So it's down to this OR the Triumph Thunderbird LT. Both different bikes around the same price range i'm willing to spend.

Have you considered the Storm variant or does that go over budget?

Seriously. My bike is still in the same condition it was in because I haven't had money I could put towards the aesthetics...it still has Gorilla Tape <_<

Well, you know, that can also add a certain 'je ne sai quoi'. Hehe.

Jackson

Any opinions on the Kawasaki ZX14R? I was dead-set on getting a cruiser but a lot of the reviews I read / watch abut this one says that it's actually a smooth ride in a "sport tourer" sense.

So it's down to this OR the Triumph Thunderbird LT. Both different bikes around the same price range i'm willing to spend.

It'll definitely attract a certain kind of attention around bikers. It's like a Busa in that it's known for being a squid dragster. Ya know? If you don't mind the stigma, I'm sure it's a great bike.

Yeah, there is that.

Though I've never actually driven one of those weird supersport/cruiser hybrids, so I'm not in the best position to say much about them. I do think those bright green stripes go a long way toward making that ZX look a lot better. Heavy fucking bike though. 584 lbs? Thunderbird is even heavier at 747 :D.

Fixed1979

The black and orange looks really nice. Not liking the red... looks like a VFR.

It's always Kawi green for me...but I really dig the special edition.

w6oj3g1vja_15_ninja_zx_14r_abs_red_c.jpg

Of course I've only seen the black one out and on the road and there's something awkward about bit, maybe it was just the fat guy riding it though.

Have you sat on one? It has quite the forward lean. You might want to consider the Ninja 1000, it's pretty upright in comparison.

Check out http://cycle-ergo.com/ to see the ergonomics.

Dougald

Hah they are pretty different bikes... I think the similarities start and end at "big engine"

Both would be great for touring with lots of torque, I think it really just boils down to which style and riding position you prefer (and how fast you want to get up to speed, of course). Personally I think they are both awesome looking bikes, I would probably have the Triumph myself just because I couldn't trust myself with that Kawasaki engine! I don't think you could really be disappointed with either one though

Sat on a ZX14R at the dealership and the ergos felt good. Couldn't take it for a test ride so i just leaned it side to side with my feet planted on the ground and it felt good. I wish i could get that AND the Triumph but i'm starting to lean more towards the ZX14R as a purchase because:

- The bike is lighter
- My legs aren't splayed wide open
- Some good tech on the bike that will let me grow with it

On the other hand, I see myself owning the Triumph Thunderbird for 20 years. It's got that classic design and I can probably still ride that thing when I turn 60 years old.

Decisions decisions....

Sat on a ZX14R at the dealership and the ergos felt good. Couldn't take it for a test ride so i just leaned it side to side with my feet planted on the ground and it felt good. I wish i could get that AND the Triumph but i'm starting to lean more towards the ZX14R as a purchase because:

- The bike is lighter
- My legs aren't splayed wide open
- Some good tech on the bike that will let me grow with it

On the other hand, I see myself owning the Triumph Thunderbird for 20 years. It's got that classic design and I can probably still ride that thing when I turn 60 years old.

Decisions decisions....

You'll probably be able to do that with the ZX as well, maybe better even seeing as it weighs one whole person less. Hehe.

And it looks fucking incredible in that red/black/gold colour scheme. You should totally get that one.

Dougald

I'd get the ZX if you like it... simple fact being that the Thunderbird's style is timeless and you're always gonna be able to get a very similar big cruiser later once you tire of the ZX

Watevaman

Dent in the tank, scraped to hell and back on that side, bent bars or forks. I've just got some scrapes on my knee because I was wearing jeans. Overall, stuff is ok, but I may actually go buy a new bike now if I can find one for cheap enough. The GS has done me well for my first 13k miles of riding so I appreciate all it's been through.

Wow, glad you are ok. Did you determine what caused the crash? Looks like the road had some fresh rain on it.

The 30th Anniversary colors are nice but not sure if it's worth the $1k premium price over a brand new 2014 zx14-r. Black with red still looks pretty slick.

Insurance....fucking $2k a year?

Hello Thundirbird LT.

Watevaman

Thanks guys. Glad my first crash wasn't somewhere worse or where I was going faster.

Yeah, I'm just gonna chalk it up to wetness because I didn't touch the brakes and I can't seem to find a leaf where I lost it when I go frame-by-frame in the video.

Evo X

Bought my new ride today 2 Wheel GAF!

Crystal White 2014 Triumph Street Triple R with ALL the goodies.

Which include a quickshifter, heated grips, flyscreen, bellypan, engine guard, and frame sliders.

Already took off those garish orange reflectors on the front and getting my Competition Werks fender eliminator on Tuesday, which should clean up the bike even more.

Only other mod I might get is the Arrow exhaust + ECU flash.

I'm so happy right now. This bike is fast as hell, while also being super comfortable and easy to ride. The engine is smooth as butter, and the handling is light and effortless.

Q3LGkGI.jpg

Fixed1979

Which include a quickshifter, heated grips, flyscreen, bellypan, engine guard, and frame sliders.

Already took off those garish orange reflectors on the front and getting my Competition Werks fender eliminator on Tuesday, which should clean up the bike even more.

I'm so happy right now. This bike is fast as hell, while also being super comfortable and easy to ride. The engine is smooth as butter, and the handling is light and effortless.

Q3LGkGI.jpg

Congrats bud, welcome to the Triple club. Excellent choice! =)

Did you get the triumph heated grips? I'm curious to how good they are, I've had them in my shopping cart for months but never pulled the trigger, might be a winter install.

Jackson

Q3LGkGI.jpg

Congrats! Sweet naked bike!

Dougald

Q3LGkGI.jpg

Congrats, nicest colour they make the new style triple in too!

Evo X

sweet ride!

Thanks!

Congrats bud, welcome to the Triple club. Excellent choice! =)

Did you get the triumph heated grips? I'm curious to how good they are, I've had them in my shopping cart for months but never pulled the trigger, might be a winter install.

Thanks, happy to be a member. 3 cylinders is like the Goldilocks of motorcycles. Smooth like a 4, but wider torque powerband like a twin. :D

Yeah, these are the Triumph heated grips. They actually came in quite handy today as it was around 50F when I was bringing her back home. They have a high and low setting. I never had heated grips before. Was surprised how much of a difference they make in keeping your body warm. The bike is also pre-wired for a heated vest underneath the seat.

Congrats! Sweet naked bike!

Thanks! I was so close to picking up an 899 identical to yours, but figured it wasn't going to be too different from my 848 Evo and wanted a change of pace.

Congrats, nicest colour they make the new style triple in too!

Thanks. I agree on the color. My Alpine stars GP Pro jacket has the same white/black/red color scheme so everything flows together nicely.

alpinestars_gopro_leather_jacket_redblack_front_1000.jpg

Paired to a Bell Star Carbon helmet and white Alpinestar Supertech R boots, I look like a power ranger every time I go riding. lol

57F1BC58-0EE9-4788-85B1-5F6547F20288-513-0000007014FB420E.jpg

alpinestars_2011_supertech_r_boots_black_white_vented-1.jpg

Wolfe

Are you US? Try Statefarm. My 899 was quoted $3500 from Allstate and $5600 from Progressive... But $395 from Statefarm.

Also Rider's is good I hear.

I second the Statefarm recommendation, at least get a quote. My 2005 R6 (back in 2005) was only 30 bucks a month with full coverage and it remained at 30 a month after making it the main/only vehicle on my policy.

Watevaman

Shame Statefarm doesn't seem to have an online quote service for motorcycle policies. I'll have to call them and get a quote for the ZRX, seeing as on Geico (who I'm currently with), it's only marginally more per year than my GS500 is.

Thanks for the tip folks. Will chat with a state farm agent this week. I'm getting ready to pull the trigger hopefully in the next week or two. Too bad dealerships are closed on Sundays (except Harley). Would love to get one more day of test riding some more bikes and decide on my new ride while the riding season is still good.

Jackson

HY7ryeW.jpg

So this is at my local Agusta dealer.

F4CC. $120,000 new, in 2009.

This guy is selling his for $75,000. It's #24 of 300 ever made. Only 50 miles.

Top Bottom