• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2 wheel GAF UNITE!

That's attempted murder right there.

regardless of how annoying those guys were being

Also, glad you're ok Dougald. Those close calls always creep me the hell out.

Jackson

That's attempted murder right there.

regardless of how annoying those guys were being

Also, glad you're ok Dougald. Those close calls always creep me the hell out.

No the wheelie is the lesser of two evils by an order of magnitude.

But squids man... Not even wearing a jacket while doing highway wheelies is ridiculous.

Jackie-Chan-meme-face-1.jpg

But squids man... Not even wearing a jacket while doing highway wheelies is ridiculous.

Jackie-Chan-meme-face-1.jpg

Lesser of two evils but the biker will always be worse off. I try not to piss off other road users. Some people are serious about their road rage.

went ridin' with jackson and a few of his cronies on sunday.

some pics to inspire envy in ye folks of lesser states:

group shot: jackson had the panigale 899, his pal and coworker the mv agusta f3 800, a forum pal had the ninja 300, and yet another jackson pal/coworker rocked the dr650 dual sport. since my z is in the shop with a flaky oil pump and the beamer is waiting for a replacement body panel post-crash, i showed up on the triumph cruiser. yes, i threw up many sparks chasing their asses. DON'T MOCK AN OLD MAN YET, BRATS.

Txb3BVA.jpg

la panigale:

uEgIIEl.jpg

hey, it puts my roids at ease:

ghcteW2.jpg

the nv agusta f3 800:

5GvOyqp.jpg

LIVE TO RID, motherfuckers:

O2HNdsC.jpg

oh, washington. show us again how you are better than those other disgusting states:

XgnF7X5.jpg

also, NO SQUIDS. everyone was atgatt, everyone rode their own ride. i was very pleased. it's easy to get a new italian bike and squid the fuck out, but these guys treated their new toys thoughtfully and didn't push the limits beyond reason (at least not in any foolish ways. i mean don't get onna bike if you don't plan to hoon a BIT) on our gorgeous backroads.

the rider is a relative n00b, and he handled the bike pretty well. there was no showing off or hapless hotshottery, so the mv never had the chance to teach the rider a painful lesson (despite the touchy throttle/fueling). it never seemed more than he could handle, and any mistakes/errors or limitations were those you'd expect from someone with only a couple thousand miles under their belt. both he and jackson showed, shall i say, UNCOMMON good judgment -- they came into a few corners hot and had to pull back, but they never pushed those bikes anywhere NEAR what they're capable of, and it was clear they did so with intent rather than cluelessness.

Jackson

Yeah that was a fun time. Great twisties. I want to go back soon before it gets nasty haha. You should totally join us MutFox. :)

We're not squids cause we're married in our 30's :p My deathwish days are over. I just wanna riiiiide.

Dougald

Told the wife about my near-miss last night and she's still ridden to work, unfazed. A true biker in the making... I realized that the bloke had actually run a red light now too, as the road he exited from is traffic controlled, so an idiot all-round. Hasn't put me off either though.

Washington state looks like it has some great country to ride in. I always think of the USA as having long, flat, straight roads, but I guess they are as good as you want them to be! If only it was cheaper to rent bikes in the US (or anywhere for that matter). That America is looking great too. The blue is probably the nicest colour scheme for it, IMO, makes the bike stand out more. Seems like Jackson has the hang of that beautiful Paningale too, good news!

As promised... ;D

IMG_20140908_200457_zpssjgqjsjs.jpg

Pretty happy with it so far.
Seems like a good bike for a novice. :p

Looks like a great little bike for hooning around town

Looks like Matchless is the latest British brand to be relaunced

DnPsDft.png

Looks fun, but at north of £30,000, I expect they'll make about ten of them and then go bankrupt - that's getting on for twice the price of a new Norton, and Matchless doesn't have anywhere near the brand recognition of Norton

went ridin' with jackson and a few of his cronies on sunday.

some pics to inspire envy in ye folks of lesser states:

group shot: jackson had the panigale 899, his pal and coworker the mv agusta f3 800, a forum pal had the ninja 300, and yet another jackson pal/coworker rocked the dr650 dual sport. since my z is in the shop with a flaky oil pump and the beamer is waiting for a replacement body panel post-crash, i showed up on the triumph cruiser. yes, i threw up many sparks chasing their asses. DON'T MOCK AN OLD MAN YET, BRATS.

Txb3BVA.jpg

la panigale:

uEgIIEl.jpg

hey, it puts my roids at ease:

ghcteW2.jpg

the nv agusta f3 800:

5GvOyqp.jpg

LIVE TO RID, motherfuckers:

O2HNdsC.jpg

oh, washington. show us again how you are better than those other disgusting states:

XgnF7X5.jpg

Cheers for sharing... looks like nice roads and weather you had

Yeah, I'm jealous. Went for a ride this weekend with my girlfriend and two of her friends (one on a Z750 and the other on a fucking VMAX, the new one). My girlfriend doesn't have her license, but we bought some gear earlier last week so this was the first time she could accompany me on the Buell. We had a lot of fun, but I wish it was half as beautiful as the scenery in Washington state!

Also congrats on the purchase Mutfox!

Agreed.

But yeah, stunt-riding in a tshirt is just... wow.

Nics pics, looks like a good time.

A question:

Sell now/buy next bike now (lower values all around)
Sell in Spring/buy in Spring (both more $$$)

I guess it kind of doesn't matter. Any thoughts? The riding season here ends in October and doesn't start up again until April generally.

Dougald

Depends if you know you can definitely get what you want now

Lower prices this time of year also comes with there being less choice out there as people are putting off selling until next year. If you can get what you want now, then just do it!

Depends if you know you can definitely get what you want now

Lower prices this time of year also comes with there being less choice out there as people are putting off selling until next year. If you can get what you want now, then just do it!

There are a couple SV650 nakeds for sale I'm interested in, both around $3500~3600 CDN.

Only downside is I think I'll have to sell my bike for about ~$300-$500 less than I think is about right.... hmmmmmm...

Dougald

If you're rich enough, just buy it!

Do you ride AT ALL over the winter? If not, maybe just wait 6 months.. Or you could always stick your current bike up at the inflated price and see if anyone bites, can't hurt.

Those SV650s look great, I was looking at one for the wife but unfortunately her budget is a lot less.... substantial than yours (under a grand)

If you're rich enough, just buy it!

Do you ride AT ALL over the winter? If not, maybe just wait 6 months.. Or you could always stick your current bike up at the inflated price and see if anyone bites, can't hurt.

Yeah, I have my bike up at the moment. Can't ride at all over winter, it gets very much below zero and we get lots of snow. Only thing to do is work on fitness for the next season. :p

I do have enough money to buy the second bike outright before selling the first, but I don't want to be stuck with 2 bikes... insurance, no garage, etc.

Dougald

I'd just sell it, but don't be afraid to refuse to take a lot less than what you think its worth for the sake of the last few weeks of the season

Once its gone then you'll have the whole winter to find a decent SV, or you can give in and relist in the Spring

Yeah if anything regard the coming of winter as the perfect opportunity to just take your time selling the bike.

No rush in acquiring a new one since you're not going to be riding it soon anyway. You're not, are you? SVs don't like roadsalt.

Watevaman

I'm trying to find a plan to buy that ZRX that's for sale. Actually contacted the guy, but there's the whole fiasco of me currently only having a motorcycle, being 5 hours from him, and not having a car to go back and forth between the two locations (well, three if you consider my parents house where I'd probably keep a bike).

For people that have bought used before, is it rude to, after asking questions and even inquiring about flexibility on price, tell them you may need more time? I wanted the guy to know I was interested in the bike, but I may have to wait until the end of September when I'll have an actual car and will feel a lot better about my transportation situation. I realize that he may sell it to another person (although it has been up for at least 2 months now) and will be perfectly fine, but it's also a really nice bike and I would hate to see it slip past.

Moral/ethical dilemmas be damned!

Shouldn't be an issue if you explain the situation. 5 hours there and back on a bike is impossible. You would have to book a motel for the night.

Fixed1979

the rider is a relative n00b, and he handled the bike pretty well. there was no showing off or hapless hotshottery, so the mv never had the chance to teach the rider a painful lesson (despite the touchy throttle/fueling). it never seemed more than he could handle, and any mistakes/errors or limitations were those you'd expect from someone with only a couple thousand miles under their belt. both he and jackson showed, shall i say, UNCOMMON good judgment -- they came into a few corners hot and had to pull back, but they never pushed those bikes anywhere NEAR what they're capable of, and it was clear they did so with intent rather than cluelessness.

Good to hear, I've never actually ridden one, and would love to get a chance. But all I've ever heard is how incredibly touchy the throttle is on them.

I really need to get on a big bike next year just to see exactly how crazy it is...

I'm trying to find a plan to buy that ZRX that's for sale. Actually contacted the guy, but there's the whole fiasco of me currently only having a motorcycle, being 5 hours from him, and not having a car to go back and forth between the two locations (well, three if you consider my parents house where I'd probably keep a bike).

For people that have bought used before, is it rude to, after asking questions and even inquiring about flexibility on price, tell them you may need more time? I wanted the guy to know I was interested in the bike, but I may have to wait until the end of September when I'll have an actual car and will feel a lot better about my transportation situation. I realize that he may sell it to another person (although it has been up for at least 2 months now) and will be perfectly fine, but it's also a really nice bike and I would hate to see it slip past.

Moral/ethical dilemmas be damned!

I haven't bought a used bike or car before but I'd just tell him your situation, I wouldn't expect him to hold the bike though. You could ask for first right of refusal (if someone else offers to buy the bike, he calls you to give you a heads up and one chance to make the buy), but that would depend on how well the relationship has gone so far.

Holy crap, I just realized how much faster the 300 is over the Ninja 250. I had no idea it had that much more power and torque.

iCBBSh8TTFLgl.jpg

Really thinking about perhaps making this my next bike... I love little bikes. Hmmmmmm.

Good to hear, I've never actually ridden one, and would love to get a chance. But all I've ever heard is how incredibly touchy the throttle is on them.

I really need to get on a big bike next year just to see exactly how crazy it is...

I haven't bought a used bike or car before but I'd just tell him your situation, I wouldn't expect him to hold the bike though. You could ask for first right of refusal (if someone else offers to buy the bike, he calls you to give you a heads up and one chance to make the buy), but that would depend on how well the relationship has gone so far.

the f3 675 has a REALLY notchy throttle, as does the f4 1090. they cleaned up the f3 800's fueling up this year.

Jackson

Holy crap, I just realized how much faster the 300 is over the Ninja 250. I had no idea it had that much more power and torque.

iCBBSh8TTFLgl.jpg

Really thinking about perhaps making this my next bike... I love little bikes. Hmmmmmm.

What are you looking for? Everyday commuter? Weekend bike? Sportiness? Comfort? Highway? Local roads?

There's a few more lightweights coming soon. The CBR300R just came out and the KTM RC 390 (which reviews say is an amazing track oriented bike) and the Yamaha R3 are coming soon. Also the CBR500 is still a lightweight. My F3 800 buddy rode the 500R before he traded it. It's a great super lightweight. Better than the 300, but still suffering from many of the same problems the 300 did.

I still think you should really consider moving up to middleweight. Have you test driven any 600's? You have 14k on your bike right? Plenty of practice!

If you really love lightweights then don't let me sway you otherwise, but the 300 I started on still isn't a very refined bike. The zx 636 was better in every objective way, without being scary at all. Get a naked 600!

Dougald

Given the new EU motorcycle categories (A2 in the UK), I expect a LOT of sub-500cc nippy sportbikes that are just on the 47bhp limit coming soon. It's a great time to be around for people who love smaller bikes.

Yeah, I'd at least give one of the middleweights a shot, opticalmace. There's something to be said for not having to rev your bike all the way up to the limiter when you need to pick up some pace :D. And you'll love the improved suspension and tires.

Hehe, bike number four.

Wonder when I'm due for the next one.

The coolness was in the air this morning... the crisp morning is lying ahead and I see me putting back all my linings over the next few months

Yup, better enjoy these last few weeks. Cause it's going to be nothing but roadsalt and misery for the months after.

Jackson

So you DO have the odd corner in the USA then!

Looks nice, road surfaces seem really good, no constant potholes to dodge...

That forest trail was a legit road. Super smooth, nice long flowing curves. Some other roads we did had some hairpins, but this one was just chill and fun.

Top Bottom