• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2 wheel GAF UNITE!

Yeah well done! And it looks like there's no damage at all from that little mishap earlier.

Careful not to go too straight on those bars, human wrists like a bit of an angle there :D

Watevaman

so i bought something

mnTI27z.jpg

2 wheel GAF, how does one choose a bike if you really like all the bikes you tested? I've done my rides, I've poured over specs and I'm still at an impass. I like them all for various reasons (triumph Tbird, zx14r, speed triple).

so i bought something

Congratulations man, that's great! That color scheme is awesome. What's it like to ride after all those miles on the GS?

2 wheel GAF, how does one choose a bike if you really like all the bikes you tested? I've done my rides, I've poured over specs and I'm still at an impass. I like them all for various reasons (triumph Tbird, zx14r, speed triple).

You end up buying them all.

Serious answer, if you're going to be owning one bike, pick the one that offers the best combination of use-ability and fun - or pick the one that excels in the area you find most important.

Looking at those bikes though (and if you want an outside opinion), I'd probably go with the Speed Triple. It's the best looking (though a case could be made for the Tbird storm) and best handling bike. Also, the triple engine (while not low on bhp) has a focus on torque, excellent for fun on public roads without breaking too many laws.

I'd only start looking at a bike like the Tbird when it's there to supplement something else.

The zx14r might be even more comfortable than the Speed Triple, so if you're planning on doing - a lot - of miles that could be worth considering as well.

For me its looks... I like to ride a bike that looks good and performs sweet. Not that I will ever use all the power. If you want no fairing and going to do shorter trips the Triple as it just looks mean and you can add some nice bits to it. The ZX14r is a beast and will give you all day riding with a bit more protection and weight. The triumph is again a nice cruzer and a total different look and riding style.

Personally if I would buy a bike now it will be the triumph speed triple with a smoke screen or the R version or the "DARK" version if you can get hold of it.

r1uaaYj.jpg

Dougald

If you're buying used just get whatever good deal you see first, that's how I ended up with a Street Triple over a monster 796

If you're buying new go for the most fun, everything else is irrelevant really

Jackson

From recent experience... Buy what excites you (but obviously don't go in over your head in debt with it).

My new 899 has all kinds of issues other bikes don't have, but it doesn't matter (and some amazing things other bikes don't have too). But I'm completely in love with it. :) Sometimes I just stare at it in the garage haha!

Best bike purchase ever for me personally.

Bikes are like shoes: you need a number of them for different occasions.

this man is correct.

got my f800st back from the shop and hustled it out on the backroads. forgot how easy it is turn that bike in hard. the parallel twin in it is beefier than it feels off the line!

Dougald

The Lexmoto is up on eBay, she should get about £700 for it.

Sadly the bike has just hit 1000km, and after I did the 1000k service it's now running great. Turns out that the valve clearances and carbs are set up to the point where the engine fires and that's it. I'll be glad to see the back of it, even though she'll end up buying some 20year old Japanese bike on its last legs, it'll doubtless be better in every possible way. At least I learnt how to do valve clearances out of it.

Yup, definitely starting to get colder, but it's still well over 10 degrees here in the Netherlands. Had some rain yesterday though. Not sure what the deal is with the Pirelli tire that's still fitted at the rear of the M2, but I was fishtailing all over the place. Little bit too much excitement for a Sunday evening.

Dougald

GPZ500 (I think it was the EX500 Ninja in North America?) looks like a decent shout for a cheap first "real" bike. Less powerful than what you'd take your test on these days, but certainly not underpowered..

Crucially a half-decent example can be had for about 900 quid so affordable.

MutFox

Banned
So next year I'm gonna go for another bike...
Now I'm looking at the FZ-07 and the FZ-09.

They look like pretty sweet naked bikes.
I'm leaning towards the FZ-07, but I maybe I'd regret not getting the FZ-09...

Any of you guys have experience with either of these bikes?

So next year I'm gonna go for another bike...
Now I'm looking at the FZ-07 and the FZ-09.

They look like pretty sweet naked bikes.
I'm leaning towards the FZ-07, but I maybe I'd regret not getting the FZ-09...

Any of you guys have experience with either of these bikes?

9 apparently has harsh suspension (front?) and a notchy throttle. 7 doesn't seem to have those issues. I'd go for the 7 personally but I need a forward leaning riding position for a lower back problem.

MutFox

Banned
Though with the FZ-09 you can set the throttle to 3 separate modes right?

And yeah, heard complaints about the FZ-09 front suspension,
supposedly it was made like that for rougher road conditions?
How much would it cost to modify the suspension?
(Supposedly the FZ-07 has similar suspension, just less power)

Still, I'd probably be happy with the FZ-07...
Though just watching video's of people riding the FZ-09, that thing is a beaut.

Though with the FZ-09 you can set the throttle to 3 separate modes right?

And yeah, heard complaints about the FZ-09 front suspension,
supposedly it was made like that for rougher road conditions?
How much would it cost to modify the suspension?
(Supposedly the FZ-07 has similar suspension, just less power)

Still, I'd probably be happy with the FZ-07...
Though just watching video's of people riding the FZ-09, that thing is a beaut.

The 9 uses a ride-by-wire system that leads to the reportedly snatchy throttle. The 7 just uses a regular cable. Not sure about the suspension cost.

You should try riding them when you can. The 7 should be really quick in its own right, it puts out more torque than a 600 supersport IIRC.

MutFox

Banned
Cool, thanks dudes.
Probably won't test ride until the start of the new riding season.
So sometime early next year I hope.

Online, all the reviews/impressions make the FZ-09 seem scary. :|
Also, the FZ-07 goes 0-60 faster than my sporty car, that's pretty sweet. :p

Though yeah, if an ECU flash can fix the throttle on the FZ-09, that would be awesome.

Watevaman

Just a reminder guys, torque your stuff properly. Ran into my first problems with the zrx trying to get the wheels off. Someone put them on way overtight, requiring a 3 foot breaker bar to even get the front off. The rear nut is semi stripped but with the same amount of torque, so its gonna be fun trying to remove.

Just a reminder guys, torque your stuff properly. Ran into my first problems with the zrx trying to get the wheels off. Someone put them on way overtight, requiring a 3 foot breaker bar to even get the front off. The rear nut is semi stripped but with the same amount of torque, so its gonna be fun trying to remove.

They had some of the problems with the cars too here in the UK. The guys where using the airguns to tighten the wheel nuts and when you got a flat you cannot undo the wheel nuts on your car because the numbties did it on to tight. Now they are not allowed to use the airguns to tighten.

But yes on a bike its a pain. I had it where my rear rack on the GS was glued in from the factory. And they found that there was something wrong with the lock tight. They replaced my parts free of charge as I have to use a saw to get the bolts out.

Good luck man

Watevaman

They actually even tightened the rear so much that the alignment marks on one side aren't in line with the other, which means the rear wheel probably isn't true. The incompetence of some just baffles me.

Dougald

That reminds me of when I had to get the front sprocket nut off my Bonneville, obviously over-torqued with an air wrench.. Eventually it took a week of sitting with plusgas to loosen the rust, half an hour of hitting it with an impact socket, heat and a 3 foot breaker bar with a piece of pipe on the end

If the bolt is partially stripped, I have used these http://www.amazon.co.uk/Irwin-Bolt-Grip-Remover-394001/dp/B0000CCXVZ/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1411561364&sr=8-2&keywords=irwin+bolt+grip (I guess an equivalent is available in the US) with great success.

Dougald

I wouldn love to use one of those, but its an Allen style:

If the shop can't get it off, I may have to weld a nut onto it.

Well....... shit.

Hammer in a brand new bit, blowtorch the hell out of it and pray...

Otherwise it sounds like welding a nut is going to be the best way forward if it's torqued on that much.

Dougald

On the plus side you'll feel a real sense of accomplishment when you finally get it off

I just hope you don't have a swear jar in your house.... good luck!

Dougald

Anyone have any opinion on the 3-finger type gloves?

rKTXspd.jpg

I have Keis heated undergloves already (damned awesome), but they don't fit too well under my regular winter gloves, and logcally it seems like keeping your fingers next to each other would be beneficial in the cold...

Now the underseat arse warmer exhaust on the Street Triple doesn't look like such a bad idea!!!

It's possible to consider it a small premium over 10 years of ownership (provided you keep it for 10 years). Haha.

But man, for serious though, 12.500 euros for that 821... quite a price-hike for those water cooled bikes (and no single sided swingarm).

Wonder where they'll be slotting in their Scrambler in the current price range.

Dougald

Have a look at there site the pricing deals are really good. You can get a moster 1200 for about 149 pounds a month. That is not bad for a high end bike

On finance it's good, as long as you accept you're buying a payment, not a bike..

If I was willing to lock myself into a single manufacturer forever, I'd probably go for one of those PCP plans... pay off as much money as you lose off the bikes new value in 3 years, then just get a new one.

edit: speaking of Ducati, looks like they are finally going to unveil this damn Scrambler on the 30th of Sept

On finance it's good, as long as you accept you're buying a payment, not a bike..

If I was willing to lock myself into a single manufacturer forever, I'd probably go for one of those PCP plans... pay off as much money as you lose off the bikes new value in 3 years, then just get a new one.

edit: speaking of Ducati, looks like they are finally going to unveil this damn Scrambler on the 30th of Sept

Yes saw that in the top corner of the website... going to keep my eyes open to see how it looks in the end.

As I never keep my bikes longer that 2-3 years I am happy to keep my payments low and get a new bike every two to three years. I can also think Ducati will be very happy to make a good deal to take a customer away from BMW if they can lol. Might go and make a turn by the Ducati shop in Aylsbury some or other time to check the bikes out.

Top Bottom