• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2 wheel GAF UNITE!

green with the leather seat for me. that said, early impressions say the fueling is spotty and the throttle snatchy (at least the us version, thanks epa) so i'd wait a year and let the bike get sorted and for some folks to dump some better fuel maps

i suspect it's like the fz-09 and eminently tolerable given the rest of the bike's qualities, but man, as a commuter, i really hate a grotty, snatchy throttle.

green with the leather seat for me. that said, early impressions say the fueling is spotty and the throttle snatchy (at least the us version, thanks epa) so i'd wait a year and let the bike get sorted and for some folks to dump some better fuel maps

i suspect it's like the fz-09 and eminently tolerable given the rest of the bike's qualities, but man, as a commuter, i really hate a grotty, snatchy throttle.

Will have to check it out... they might update this on launch I hope. But damn there is allot of nice bikes out there for 2015.

KMZIRTT.jpg

Makki

I hope it's something minor. Be sure to report back here once they've had a look at it. I'm curious to find out what it is.

Last guess would be maybe be a misalignment of the rear wheel after tightening the chain? Though if the problem was there before you made some adjustments there... hmmm, weird.

Got the bike back today. Its hard to believe that such a terrible chrunching noise and vibration was coming ONLY from the chain having stretch points all throughout it causing really uneven sections of tension - loosening.

They blamed it on me running the bike too long without adjusting the chain to spec, which I cannot argue with as all I have as far as proof is words since I tightened it myself. If I had to guess what started the damage it would be a really bumpy road I had to ride on for a couple of hours on a trip to the middle of nowhere. A new chain and 200 bucks out of my pocket for part and labor and it runs like new.

Here is the vid for the 2015 Ducati Scrambler Termignoni Exahust

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KVNBqyPgS5M

Pretty serious noise to come from such a tiny and friendly looking bike.

Got the bike back today. Its hard to believe that such a terrible chrunching noise and vibration was coming ONLY from the chain having stretch points all throughout it causing really uneven sections of tension - loosening.

They blamed it on me running the bike too long without adjusting the chain to spec, which I cannot argue with as all I have as far as proof is words since I tightened it myself. If I had to guess what started the damage it would be a really bumpy road I had to ride on for a couple of hours on a trip to the middle of nowhere. A new chain and 200 bucks out of my pocket for part and labor and it runs like new.

Right, how many miles did you say the bike has done? 6k? I suppose it's possible to wear out a chain in that time (especially if some of those miles were rough). 200 for parts and labor is alright though I guess. Worth it to ride around without horrible crunching noises :p.

Jackson

So the cold and rain of Seattle got to me and I picked up a 4 wheel motorcycle. :( Seriously, I was bumming my wife's SUV since I can't ride my bike, but my bike fever just bugged me too much. I missed my weekend rides. I mean I was planning on getting a new car anyway, but I was supposed to get it in the spring/summer.

And yeah, I know this is a bike thread, but this car feels so much like a bike they way it handles. I even took it on some of my bike twisties already. Soooo much fun. lol I was afraid getting into bikes would kill my love of sports cars, but the experiences are so different it's still fun even if my bike is way faster at accelerating (not that this car is slow).

Don't worry dude. I think we're petrolheads here one and all. And at least part of the reason we love bikes so much is that we can't afford full blown sports cars. Well, maybe I could, but it would mean selling my bikes. And I can't let go of them just yet, haha.

Having said that... holy shit! That is pretty much a mid engined 911 i.e. the Cayman, right? Did you get it in that color?

Fucking awesome. Congratulations.

Jackson

Don't worry dude. I think we're petrolheads here one and all. And at least part of the reason we love bikes so much is that we can't afford full blown sports cars. Well, maybe I could, but it would mean selling my bikes. And I can't let go of them just yet, haha.

Having said that... holy shit! That is pretty much a mid engined 911 i.e. the Cayman, right? Did you get it in that color?

Fucking awesome. Congratulations.

Actually that's a pic of my car at the detail shop. Had 'em install a clear bra and window tint. They have a Lightroom for pics.

Thanks! It's a 2015 Cayman GTS. :)

Here's a crappy iPhone pic with the bike!
PJaZEgE.jpg

Yes it's the same V-Twin, I heard that its so good theres almost no point in going for the V-Strom 1000. Of course it's a Suzuki so it'll probably feel a bit cheaper than the others... because it is! My shortlist when I replace the St3 is currently that or a Ducati Scrambler

Or you could buy a Street Triple like everyone else in this thread! But that's not that great for regular motorway runs due to the lack of fairing. What are your requirements?

Something I can commute on comfortably through London traffic & winter. ~25 miles each way down the motorway. Something with a bit of character, 600-800cc ish. And with a reasonably low seat height (I'm only 5'7"). Some kind of fairing or screen nice to have (I don't mind wind too much at 70mph). Luggage not an issue as I'll use Kriega bags. Not a supersports of any kind (not my thing at all).

I'm planning to test ride the 2014 BMW F800R next week. The 2015 is the top of my list at the moment.

Actually that's a pic of my car at the detail shop. Had 'em install a clear bra and window tint. They have a Lightroom for pics.

PJaZEgE.jpg

Wow. Love the car. And the bike although I could never own one (even if I did have the spare cash)

Watevaman

The clubmans on the GS pushed me away from sport bikes given they have a similar position. The seat/upright position on the ZRX is awesome for my cruising, but I can see how it's awkward on those knee-draggers.

Fixed1979

Congrats on the new ride, that's a pretty car.

Triple has been put into our warehouse for the past month or so but I finally got around to properly winterizing it this past weekend. It had to let it run to get the fuel stabilizer to run through, it was everything I could do not to drive it around the warehouse. Now comes the part of the year where I lust about a new bike until spring comes again.

Dougald

That Porsche is horrible, you'd better ship it over to me right away...

In terms of bad backs and sportbikes, I think it's subjective. I can't ride them for long periods because of my back, but my wife has a terrible back and she finds leaning forwards on the CBR is the best position for her!

Oh and Merry Christmas to all, I normally take a ride on the empty roads on Christmas morning but unfortunately will be missing out this year. Today and the world cup final are the best times to go out, no traffic.

That Porsche is horrible, you'd better ship it over to me right away...

In terms of bad backs and sportbikes, I think it's subjective. I can't ride them for long periods because of my back, but my wife has a terrible back and she finds leaning forwards on the CBR is the best position for her!

Oh and Merry Christmas to all, I normally take a ride on the empty roads on Christmas morning but unfortunately will be missing out this year. Today and the world cup final are the best times to go out, no traffic.

Thanks, same to you!

And indeed, world cup finals are a great time to go out riding. Shame the Dutch didn't get all that far this summer.

yeah, i find sportbike lean far more comfortable than a cruiser with full forward controls. i need serious knee bend and lean for long hauls.

GONZO

I got to sit on the scrambler at the NYC motorcycle show. I put my money down on the full throttle bike last weekend. Bike felt just great for a daily rider. The only thing that I'm going to change out are the cheap looking grips. Looking forward to the addition to the stable.

So it's been 5 months since I've really ridden my bike. With the new baby and the wife back to full time work I barely squeeze in 30 mins every couple of weeks just to get me closer to my 600mi service.

At what point do you go and re-take a riding course? I don't think I'm getting worse at riding but I aldo don't feel like I'm developing better skills. I'm considering a refresher course if this stretches to 7 months of no rides. I figure by then my grasp of fundamentals could uses refresher.

Dougald

Do you have a bikesafe, roadcraft, police motorcycle safety course or similar over there? In the UK we have lots of "advanced" programs available for those who have their license but want to improve further, there must be something out there for you too

Any cruiser guys around here? I've been test riding a couple of Harleys (883R and Iron). Planning to put a deposit down in the new year on an Iron. Choosing the bike was easy - choosing the stage 1 kit is downright ridiculous. I've narrowed down to two options...

Option 1:
RSD Slant 2 into 1 Black Ops exhaust
RSD Slant air filter
Screamin' Eagle Pro Super Tuner or V&H Fuelpack FP3

Option 2:
V&H Short Shots Black
Screamin' Eagle Heavy Breather

^ I'd go with 2. But that's just because I like V&H better for completely unfounded reasons. Awesome that you're getting an Iron 883 btw. Love the look of that bike.

I got to sit on the scrambler at the NYC motorcycle show. I put my money down on the full throttle bike last weekend. Bike felt just great for a daily rider. The only thing that I'm going to change out are the cheap looking grips. Looking forward to the addition to the stable.

Congrats Gonzo! Seems like a great combination (Brutale / Scrambler).

^ I'd go with 2. But that's just because I like V&H better for completely unfounded reasons. Awesome that you're getting an Iron 883 btw. Love the look of that bike.

Yeah that's what I'm leaning towards. Much cheaper too. I want to hear the RSD slant in real life...it's hard to know how accurate the sound on YouTube clips are. They do have an 883R with the RSD slants in the showroom so I'll ask if they can crank it up for me.

So that'll be bike 2, then either the BMW F800R or the Yamaha Diversion for bike 3. Should be test riding the 2014 F800R next week to get an idea of what the 2015 will be like.

Edit: Actually the Yamaha doesn't have ABS. What the hell it's almost 2015?! Well they'll have to fix that during next year to comply with EU laws stating ABS is mandatory on 125cc+ motorcycles from 01 January 2016.

Dougald

Any cruiser guys around here? I've been test riding a couple of Harleys (883R and Iron). Planning to put a deposit down in the new year on an Iron. Choosing the bike was easy - choosing the stage 1 kit is downright ridiculous. I've narrowed down to two options...

Option 1:
RSD Slant 2 into 1 Black Ops exhaust
RSD Slant air filter

Option 2:
V&H Short Shots Black
Screamin' Eagle Heavy Breather

Something you can commute on eh?? Well, as biking is 90% fun, you should be properly happy with an 883, great bike to go to after passing the DAS in the UK, just remember it's heavy for the first few rides (should have bought a Bonneville, though the defining factor for both bikes is what badge is on it, so if you want a Harley, get the Harley!)

Nice to see that you're looking at the black exhausts, personally they are pretty stylish and as someone who commuted on a Bonneville in the winter, the less chrome the better! (if I can commute on a Bonnie, you can on an 883). Personally I would go for the short pipes, they go with the style of the bike much better

Something you can commute on eh?? Well, as biking is 90% fun, you should be properly happy with an 883, great bike to go to after passing the DAS in the UK, just remember it's heavy for the first few rides (should have bought a Bonneville, though the defining factor for both bikes is what badge is on it, so if you want a Harley, get the Harley!)

Nice to see that you're looking at the black exhausts, personally they are pretty stylish and as someone who commuted on a Bonneville in the winter, the less chrome the better! (if I can commute on a Bonnie, you can on an 883). Personally I would go for the short pipes, they go with the style of the bike much better

The Harley isn't for commuting, it's for weekends and summer evenings. Hence also looking at the BMW F800R (or something) as a commuter and light tourer. Shame about lack of ABS on the Yamaha Diversion as it would have fit the bill quite nicely.

Dougald

Two bikes? I miss those days....

The F800 would fit the bill nicely, though you can tour on anything, I suspect the tank range on the 883 is as poor as the Bonneville... let me tell you on a tour filling up every 95 miles is a pain in the arse. The thing I miss most about my ST1100 is that 240+ mile range..

Two bikes? I miss those days....

The F800 would fit the bill nicely, though you can tour on anything, I suspect the tank range on the 883 is as poor as the Bonneville... let me tell you on a tour filling up every 95 miles is a pain in the arse. The thing I miss most about my ST1100 is that 240+ mile range..

The commuter pays for itself compared to the train, and I don't own a car, so can justify the two.

Yes I can imagine that about touring. I've actually been reading up and seems you might be able to get the Diversion with ABS in the UK after all, so will phone the Yamaha dealer tomorrow. That might be a smarter option than the BMW - cheaper and with wind protection.

as a triumph america owner, the speedmaster/america bonnie platform SPANKS the sporty 883 -and to some degree- the 1200 for speed and handling. but as noted above, at this point, it really is all about the marque...

Minto

Got some new stuff for my bike over Christmas.

New Zero Gravity screen to replace the old worn Honda one.

14614_10152480730671300_2455499472625272831_n_zpsc80f3534.jpg

New Yoshi bar ends.
10409114_10152480728581300_3292181294194624409_n_zps0938ed11.jpg

Rear paddock stand.

12829_10152480759656300_3791275337641611458_n_zps50244f5e.jpg

I've wanted a motorcycle ever since I was 16, but I've always lived in cities that are too dangerous for motorcycles.

Now at the age of 30, I finally got one a couple days ago so that I could ride it around Central America.

She's not much of a bike, a measly 100cc, but it's still good fun for riding along the country side and mountains.

It's a Suzuki AX 100. I went ahead and took off all the decals upon buying it, and had my own custom decals made.

Isn't she a beaut?

I know what some of you must be thinking... Should've gone with the Super Hang-On logo, and believe me, I considered it, but it just didn't look as good.

Any ways, I love riding around. It's so amazing. Ultimate views, sense of speed, and a great way to experience a country. So nice to be able to pull over anywhere and enjoy the view.

Here in Central America, basically no one rides with a helmet, and man does it feel great, but I opt to ride with one any ways. Better safe than sorry.

Speaking of winter riding, dropped my Grom today on the icy roads, less than a mile from my house. Grom factory tires plus icy road plus corner = wipeout.

Stupid going out in that weather but lesson learned and more damage to my pride than the bike. Just need to replace the brake pedal (I could bend it back but will probably replace), and a bit of a scrape on the mirror and indicator.

Had the same thing once on my (long since sold) Honda Monkey (well, cleverly disguised Jincheng Singa). Wiped out in an icy corner. Taught me a valuable lesson to drive like an old man (in the corners at least) on anything other than a warm and dry summer day.

Top Bottom