• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2 wheel GAF UNITE!

Had the same thing once on my (long since sold) Honda Monkey (well, cleverly disguised Jincheng Singa). Wiped out in an icy corner. Taught me a valuable lesson to drive like an old man (in the corners at least) on anything other than a warm and dry summer day.
The reaction of the guy behind me was classic. Honked his horn then drove around me. lol

Speaking of winter riding, dropped my Grom today on the icy roads, less than a mile from my house. Grom factory tires plus icy road plus corner = wipeout.

Stupid going out in that weather but lesson learned and more damage to my pride than the bike. Just need to replace the brake pedal (I could bend it back but will probably replace), and a bit of a scrape on the mirror and indicator.

this morning, i came REAL close to a low side wipeout pulling out of a gas station today with cold tires and a road temp of 28 degrees. :-( "when it doubt, throttle it out" saved the moment, but MAN did i pucker up

CFMOORE!

so i went and bought the bike before the license. so i am half way to being one of you

yfNG8yU.jpg

i doubt you all remember, but 3 years ago i took the MSF (posted about it here) and in the last hour of on the bike training, i had a nasty accident that while i wasn't hurt too bad, shot my nerves when i told the instructors i wanted to finish. i could only then sit on the bike with the engine on but that was about it. ever determined, i always wanted to ride and own, so i came across this bike and knew i had to have it.

i plan on retaking the class after some personal one on one training in parking lots.

question about the clips ons though, how hard is it to alter the angle? in the two images above, one shows how close to the tank the left one sits when tilted on the kickstand. you guys think they are fine as is?

Watevaman

I think that angle is ok (the clubmans on my GS500 almost hit my tank), but if you want to sweep them forward a bit more it should just be that pinch bolt that's holding each onto the forks. If you keep them how they are the only thing you'll have a hard time with is really small u-turns, which you shouldn't be doing much of.

I'm pretty sure it was a "get out the way you idiot" honk. At least by the way he drove off in a rush. And I was an idiot to be out there so fair dues to him.

Not great to go down but I have a simple rule... anything under 4 degrees I stay away. As much as I like riding you never know when the ice is around a shady corner.

So how do you like your GROM? I am still itching

Not great to go down but I have a simple rule... anything under 4 degrees I stay away. As much as I like riding you never know when the ice is around a shady corner.

So how do you like your GROM? I am still itching
Yeah love it. Although I will likely be selling it once I get the 2 bikes I'm planning on. Just because it doesn't fit my lifestyle so much. The commuter and the Harley will fit my needs & wants better. But while doing my DAS it was great, and it certainly puts a smile on my face every ride (except when I went down on the ice of course). Then again it only costs me £20 a month for insurance so we'll see.

Yeah, I can't wait to see how that 883 turns out. I've been looking at that Iron variant for a while, but I'll stick with my Buells for the time being :). Probably not getting sick of them in this lifetime...

Congrats to all the new bike owners, you guys did good.

Speaking of Buells: my dad and I finally managed to put the X1 back together after that oil pump drive gear failed last spring. Hope the winter won't last long so I can ride it again.

Now that all is said and done we've replaced the pistons, cilinders, every last gasket, front fork seals, the drive gear, the oil pump, oil filter, we've fitted improved hydraulic lifters for the valves, it's got a forcewinder air intake with better knee clearance and I found a Corbin seat for it (to replace the worn through og seat). Hope all that did the trick. Hehe.

Crappy phone pic:

img-20141228-wa0029d2uss.jpg

Yeah, I can't wait to see how that 883 turns out. I've been looking at that Iron variant for a while, but I'll stick with my Buells for the time being :). Probably not getting sick of them in this lifetime...

Congrats to all the new bike owners, you guys did good.

Speaking of Buells: my dad and I finally managed to put the X1 back together after that oil pump drive gear failed last spring. Hope the winter won't last long so I can ride it again.

Now that all is said and done we've replaced the pistons, cilinders, every last gasket, front fork seals, the drive gear, the oil pump, oil filter, we've fitted improved hydraulic lifters for the valves, it's got a forcewinder air intake with better knee clearance and I found a Corbin seat for it (to replace the worn through og seat). Hope all that did the trick. Hehe.

Crappy phone pic:

img-20141228-wa0029d2uss.jpg

Damn good effort... that bike is looking good.

Dougald

Nice new bikes everyone, I love that little 100cc suzuki, it sounds perfect for where it's being used, and small bikes in their element are great fun!

Nice looking Buell fallout, shame about all the work, but it *is* a Buell! At least you're doing it for such a unique and beautiful bike

CFMOORE!

Nice bike! Love the new CB1100. My dad used to take me on the back of his Kawasaki Z440 in the 80s and the CB reminds me a lot of those.

thanks! i didn't know about the cb1100, this is a 1990 gb500. absolutely love its look so i fell in love with it. it is also the same color as my favorite guitar that i own, so it was like meant to be :)

belt drive sport bikes 4 life

Damn good effort... that bike is looking good.

Nice looking Buell fallout, shame about all the work, but it *is* a Buell! At least you're doing it for such a unique and beautiful bike

Thanks guys. And yeah, with all the work we're putting in it's getting increasingly less likely I'm ever going to sell it (or be able to). Kind of a bonding experience :p.

thanks! i didn't know about the cb1100, this is a 1990 gb500. absolutely love its look so i fell in love with it. it is also the same color as my favorite guitar that i own, so it was like meant to be :)

I bet it sounds real awesome too.

Oh, and check it out. As kind of a late 50th birthday present and a thank you for helping me with the X1 all those weekends, I bought this 1998 Yamaha YZF750R for my dad:

img_20150103_121844v6utr.jpg

He worked at Yamaha when these bikes were around and he always wanted one of these late models (because this color scheme is rather pretty and in later years they all came equipped with ohlins suspension). I made up a stupid excuse to have him go look at something in our garage on Christmas eve (we had invited my brother and parents over) and I made sure the bike was parked in sight (but not on my spot you know). So when we walked past it, he couldn't help but notice that someone in our building owned a pretty spotless YZF750. After we had admired it for a while, I pulled out the keys and told him it was his.

Haha, the look on his was face was quite literally priceless.

That is awesome! Both the bike and as a gift. I'd have loved to had been able to do something similar for my dad during his riding days.

I've just gotten off the phone from putting the deposit down on my Harley Davidson Iron 883. Denim black, V&H short shots, SE Heavy Breather, and SE Tuner :)

Oh, and check it out. As kind of a late 50th birthday present and a thank you for helping me with the X1 all those weekends, I bought this 1998 Yamaha YZF750R for my dad:

img_20150103_121844v6utr.jpg

He worked at Yamaha when these bikes were around and he always wanted one of these late models (because this color scheme is rather pretty and in later years they all came equipped with ohlins suspension). I made up a stupid excuse to have him go look at something in our garage on Christmas eve (we had invited my brother and parents over) and I made sure the bike was parked in sight (but not on my spot you know). So when we walked past it, he couldn't help but notice that someone in our building owned a pretty spotless YZF750. After we had admired it for a while, I pulled out the keys and told him it was his.

Haha, the look on his was face was quite literally priceless.

BEST. SON. EVER.

Ha and since I did it my fiancée phoned the dealer and has put the deposit down on HER Iron 883 (hard candy silver flake). Sweet.

Going through the accessory catalogue - this is going to get bloody expensive.

Dougald

Harley ain't cheap... But you are paying for the brand like almost any other western marque.

Think of it this way... In the UK, the resale value on a harley is incredible. Things never seem to lose value. I'm sure you'll love the 883 it looks like a great "little" Harley, were it cheaper used it would have been on my list when I got my first big bike

That is such a great looking bike and a super present. He must be a very happy man.

Went to look at some Duc mosters this weekend and mmmm that red frame looks great.

Dougald

With helmets I tend to be of the opinion that as long as they have met proper safety standards, that the biggest factor in normal riding is fit. A Shoei that doesn't fit isn't going to protect you like a £60 lid that does.

Dougald

I have actually had to go to the office this week which means I've been riding. Got to compare the 3-finger rukka gloves I bought vs my regular winter gloves, they do keep you warmer for longer.

Only problem is I like to brake with 3-fingers, and these only really allow braking with 2 or 4, so it's a little confusing.

I have actually had to go to the office this week which means I've been riding. Got to contract the 3-finger rukka gloves I bought vs my regular winter gloves, they do keep you warmer for longer.

Only problem is I like to brake with 3-fingers, and these only really allow braking with 2 or 4, so it's a little confusing.

That is what I was wondering about... it gives you warmth but if you use to using three fingers is going to be something to get use to.

Hope you missed the rain

What did you think of the F800?
I liked it. Really smooth engine & gearbox, loved the seating position, sound, brakes felt fantastic. Only thing was the front end didn't feel so planted, but it was cold and on wet roads that I didn't know. They have done a lot on the front end for 2015 with new upside down forks and new brakes. Surprised although it only had a tiny fly screen it didn't seem to get as much buffeting at 70mph on the dual carriageway as I expected.

I have to pickup my Harley (hopefully Saturday), sell my MSX, and then decide between what I really want (the BMW) or the more sensible cheaper option (Yamaha Diversion/FZ6R).

I liked it. Really smooth engine & gearbox, loved the seating position, sound, brakes felt fantastic. Only thing was the front end didn't feel so planted, but it was cold and on wet roads that I didn't know. They have done a lot on the front end for 2015 with new upside down forks and new brakes. Surprised although it only had a tiny fly screen it didn't seem to get as much buffeting at 70mph on the dual carriageway as I expected.

That sounds familiar. If it's an option I would get / wait for a '15 model.

Another thing I noticed with the '10 F800R I tried a couple of years ago was that it vibrated a lot at speeds where you'll often find yourself for extended amounts of time (i.e. 65 / 70 mph).

I have to pickup my Harley (hopefully Saturday), sell my MSX, and then decide between what I really want (the BMW) or the more sensible cheaper option (Yamaha Diversion/FZ6R).

Yes I would also wait and give the F800 2015 a try before deciding. Then new F800 and the R1200R should be available in Feb so not too much waiting time.

Yes I always intended to get the 2015 model but thought worth trying the 2014 to get a feel. It's not going to be THAT different but looking forward to trying the new front end. It's due 07 Feb and I've got a vacation before then so wouldn't be doing anything till that's here anyway. Problem with the BMW is the base price is OK but keep adding on the optional electronics (ESA, ASC, TPM etc.) which racks up the price.

And just got an email from my Harley guy. It's in for pre-delivery inspection today!

Yes I always intended to get the 2015 model but thought worth trying the 2014 to get a feel. It's not going to be THAT different but looking forward to trying the new front end. It's due 07 Feb and I've got a vacation before then so wouldn't be doing anything till that's here anyway. Problem with the BMW is the base price is OK but keep adding on the optional electronics (ESA, ASC, TPM etc.) which racks up the price.

And just got an email from my Harley guy. It's in for pre-delivery inspection today!

Cool... I might also look at that new 800 but the r1200r is looking too sweet.

Watevaman

Looks nice. Word of warning, be careful about your right leg and the exhaust. Both me and my buddy burned our legs on his, with his leaving behind a little present to warn any future riders.

Cheers. Did a couple of rides today about 100km total (the speedo is currently in km for some reason I didn't get - but it will be swapped over). Weather here is crap wind and rain so took it pretty easy.

Got to replace the cheap ass stock fuel cap. Probably with the flush mount one. Nothing else planned just at the moment. Spent enough for now!

Took both the M2 and the X1 out today. It was cold with incredibly strong winds, but the roads were dry. So I rode the M2 for a little bit to recharge the battery. After that was done I took the time to reacquaint myself with the X1. Had such a great ride. Holy shit. The M2 is good. But man, that X1 with the new 1250 kit, fat Michelin tires and a suspension setup that is just right... tight as a fucking drum. Swear to god, I was actually laughing in a couple of spots.

If one of you ever thinks 'maybe I should get a Buell'... do it :p. It truly is the best kept secret in motorcycling.

Top Bottom