• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2 wheel GAF UNITE!

If a helmet is rated SNELL/BSI/ECE 2005 you're going to be alright. The helmet is "safe".

However, more expensive helmets often have features that make wearing it more comfortable, and a more comfortable fit means less distractions for the rider.

I personally tend to favour Shark helmets at the moment. I have a nice RSX that's done me for the past little while.

Anyone have some advice for me?

I just looked at a bike from a private seller that I am totally stoked on buying. Only problem is that he still owes on it with a loan from the bank.

Any advice on how to conduct the sale?

I'm thinking about going to the bank with him and we pay it off there, then the title gets signed over to me, then when he gives me the bike, I pay off the remainder to him. Does that sound like the normal way to do this?

opticalmace said:
If the helmets meet the same classification, shouldn't they all protect you well enough? How do you know if one will fare better in a crash than another? I don't think price is necessarily a valid reason, as that seems to be the entire point of the ratings boards, no?

I'm not being smug, I'm really asking. Thanks.

The classifications are just test standards. Each manufacturer meets them a little differently. A huge part in helmet cost is the production variance. My helmet (the Shoei X-11) has a different shell size for every single helmet size, meaning production cost for them is higher. Many helmets only come in one or two shell sizes and just have different padding. A better fitting shell means one that won't be too big and can potentially save on weight. The features (such as venting, padding, breath guard, and visor mechanism) also are unique among the brands and can play a part in your choice. Also, the higher end helmets tend to be lighter. My friends have HJC's helmets and a Joe Rocket helmet. When they compare mine side by side mine is featherweight in comparison. Yes, you need your helmet to protect you, but you need to feel good in it and have it not be a distraction in any way to your riding.

edit: On the standards, don't think that two different helmets with the same cert are going to necessarily perform equally in a crash. My helmet and the Arai RX-7 Corsair both meet DOT/SNELL, but SHARP rated the Corsair 3/5 whereas mine got 4/5 (it's hard to get 5/5 from SHARP while still getting SNELL M2005). If you want to go the softer shell route, the Shark RSR2 is rated 5/5 by SHARP, and I know they are well-thought of lids.

SnakeswithLasers said:

I just looked at a bike from a private seller that I am totally stoked on buying. Only problem is that he still owes on it with a loan from the bank.

I'm thinking about going to the bank with him and we pay it off there, then the title gets signed over to me, then when he gives me the bike, I pay off the remainder to him. Does that sound like the normal way to do this?

Usually in these sorts of situations you need to write up a bill of sale, anyway (and in my state it has to be notarized for the DMV). The bank I had a previous bike loan through also notarized documents, so that might be an option for you as well.

ChanHuk

Banned
SnakeswithLasers said:

You can do that, its obviously the easiest way. They'll give you a paperless title transfer form and a bill of sale. Head to the DMV and wait the hours and you'll be the new owner.

ChanHuk said:
Also retailers should be clearing out soon their RF-1000 and X-11 inventory for the new X-12 and RF-1100.

Indeed. If the X-12 meets SNELL M2010 (not sure if they have given the specs to the manufacturers or not) I'll definitely buy it and make my X-11 my spare. That, or if the helmet just has some really good improvements I'll give it a shot. Otherwise my X-11 is pretty damn sweet, so I'd be cool with riding it the rest of its life.

LiveFromKyoto said:
DOT certification is a joke.

This counts as a legal helmet:

41gJfAXrk-L._SL500_AA280_.jpg

Tell me that's going to do anything if you ram your head into something at even 30 mph.

There are plenty of websites and magazines which do helmet comparison tests - drop tests, crash tests, etc. There are definitely levels of quality, as well as secondary functions like ventilation, aerodynamic stability, avoiding fogging, etc. There are differences in the material used, whether fibreglass or polycarbonate.

DOT certification isn't a joke (at least not for full face helmets). For the most common crashes (~30mph), DOT may be superior to Snell/ECE. But you HAVE to be wearing a full face helmet.

http://www.motorcyclistonline.com/gearbox/motorcycle_helmet_review/index.html

^^^ Is an excellent read for anyone shopping for helmets.

SnakeswithLasers said:
DOT certification isn't a joke (at least not for full face helmets). For the most common crashes (~30mph), DOT may be superior to Snell/ECE. But you HAVE to be wearing a full face helmet.

http://www.motorcyclistonline.com/gearbox/motorcycle_helmet_review/index.html

^^^ Is an excellent read for anyone shopping for helmets.

Also a good read (response from SNELL): http://www.smf.org/articles/pdf/btlo_tech_response_2.pdf

edit: The other thing about DOT certification is that there is no testing done by DOT. The certification is given from the helmet manufacturer. Finally, any helmet you buy here in the U.S. has to meet DOT specs, anyway. I would feel much safer owning a DOT/ECE or DOT/SNELL certified helmet than one with just the DOT cert.

Flo_Evans

Been too long since I took a trip. I am seriously thinking of going to the tail of the dragon this weekend.

Anyone else got a trip planned? :D

I'm doing some riding this weekend, but nothing that awesome. Have fun :)

I've been trying to put together a new on-board video with footage from a few different rides. Still playing around with it.

Ashhong

ChanHuk said:
Also retailers should be clearing out soon their RF-1000 and X-11 inventory for the new X-12 and RF-1100.

theres an RF-1100 coming out? any idea when? i am going to need to buy a helmet for my new bike soon. i had an RF1000 the first time around and liked it. would love for the prices to fall on that, unless i should get the 1100...

Ashhong said:
theres an RF-1100 coming out? any idea when? i am going to need to buy a helmet for my new bike soon. i had an RF1000 the first time around and liked it. would love for the prices to fall on that, unless i should get the 1100...

The RF1100 has some new features to it that seem nice. Also, it meets SNELL M2010.

http://www.smf.org/standards/m/2010/m2010_cover.htm

They have made some important updates. I'm picking up an X-Twelve when they come out.

Nice Shadow, DeathNote. Blinded by the chrome!!!!111

Mengy

wishes it were bannable to say mean things about Marvel
Flo_Evans said:
Been too long since I took a trip. I am seriously thinking of going to the tail of the dragon this weekend.

Anyone else got a trip planned? :D

I just got back from the Smoky Mountains last week. A bunch of us go down to Maggie Valley every August, and the Dragon is always one of our stops.

Bad_Boy

time to take my meds
DeathNote said:
Someone earlier said it seems like they are the only one with a crusier.

Well, this is my bike buried in the thread:
http://i37.tinypic.com/2ueio8h.jpg[IMG][/QUOTE]
looking...familar. nice bike :)

My 250r and my dad's honda
[IMG]http://xs343.xs.to/xs343/09366/shadownninja802.jpg
....hmm....shadow ninja.

Oh an btw, I sat on a Honda CBR600 a few days ago. And I fell in love. Next summer hopefully that bike will be mine. And I would like to keep my 250r if possible.

Mengy

wishes it were bannable to say mean things about Marvel
Scarecrow said:
Seems like everyone has sports bikes. I think I'm the only one with a cruiser model.

There are a few cruisers, but I think I'm the only one with a Harley.

I got a few PM's asking me if I had any pics of my trip to Nova Scotia, so I thoiught I'd post a few up in this thread for the fellow bikers:

NovaScotia2009058.jpg

NovaScotia2009243.jpg

NovaScotia2009249.jpg

NovaScotia2009253.jpg

NovaScotia2009261.jpg

NovaScotia2009267.jpg

NovaScotia2009288.jpg

NovaScotia2009297.jpg

NovaScotia2009299.jpg

NovaScotia2009312.jpg

NovaScotia2009318.jpg

NovaScotia2009320.jpg

NovaScotia2009323.jpg

NovaScotia2009338.jpg

NovaScotia2009342.jpg

NovaScotia2009345.jpg

NovaScotia2009354.jpg

NovaScotia2009361.jpg

NovaScotia2009362.jpg

NovaScotia2009391.jpg

NovaScotia2009419.jpg

NovaScotia2009437.jpg

NovaScotia2009443.jpg

NovaScotia2009466.jpg

NovaScotia2009485.jpg

NovaScotia2009530.jpg

NovaScotia2009565.jpg

Some great pictures there, Mengy!

Ashhong said:
never followed helmets before, can i expect prices for the 1000 to fall? i believe i got it at 300 a year ago

Yeah, looking online I'm seeing prices of my X-Eleven (which I just bought in January to replace the previous fallen X-Eleven) are now a good $80-$100 less. I'd expect the same thing for the RF-1000's. Would not surprise me if they really drop in the next few months as the newer models are released.

The X-Twelve page on Shoei's site is only showing 3 non-solid color schemes. Dick faces. My current top choice among the three is this:

X-Twelve_Martyr_TC-5.jpg

I want something wild looking. Not Suomy wild, though :lol :lol

thesoapster said:
I want something wild looking. Not Suomy wild, though :lol :lol

If you're willing to go down to the next level, the RF-1000s have some nice designs, and I don't think there's a big difference in the amount of protection you're getting. I <3 my Camino:

2009_Shoei_RF-1000_Camino_Helmet.jpg

So classy, so stylin'.

LiveFromKyoto said:
If you're willing to go down to the next level, the RF-1000s have some nice designs, and I don't think there's a big difference in the amount of protection you're getting. I <3 my Camino:

So classy, so stylin'.

I have an RF-1000 already. I like my X-Eleven a LOT more. You're right, it's probably not any safer, but it's a better helmet to wear for sure. That's why I'm looking at the X-Twelve instead of the RF-1100.

Ashhong

thesoapster said:
Some great pictures there, Mengy!

Yeah, looking online I'm seeing prices of my X-Eleven (which I just bought in January to replace the previous fallen X-Eleven) are now a good $80-$100 less. I'd expect the same thing for the RF-1000's. Would not surprise me if they really drop in the next few months as the newer models are released.

The X-Twelve page on Shoei's site is only showing 3 non-solid color schemes. Dick faces. My current top choice among the three is this:

http://www.shoei-helmets.com/products/X-Twelve/X-Twelve_Martyr_TC-5.jpg[IMG]

I want something wild looking. Not Suomy wild, though :lol :lol[/QUOTE]

damn i took a quick look around and i dont see anywhere selling the 1000 for less than 300 with an extra shield...maybe i have to call to get the cheapest price? not sure if thats still a necessity

Bad_Boy

time to take my meds
Ashhong said:
god. dammit. i want my black 250 backkkkkkk
me too. :lol

(i had a black 250r, totaled it. this red one is my second one...but i miss the black.)

edit:

moar pics...

IMG_1437-1.jpg

IMG_1378.jpg

IMG_1384.jpg

IMG_1422.jpg

IMG_1426.jpg

IMG_1371.jpg

Scarecrow

It's been about a year since I started riding a motorcycle, and I had my first real close call with crashing last week. I was riding on the interstate on the way home from work at about 1am. The road was slick with rain from earlier in the day. As I was cruising along, I noticed a small blob in the center of the road. As I got closer, and as my headlights illuminated the blob, I realized it was a opossum. It was also still alive, hauling ass accross the road, timing itself just right to cross my path. I froze, afraid to keep going straight and hitting the animal, afraid to swerve due to the slick road.

That sound effect from FEAR when you slow down time played in my head.

As the main cone of light from my headlight hit the face of the opossum, it freaked out and did a tactical jump roll backwards away from my path. I was a little shaken up, but couldn't help to laugh at the situation. I don't know if hitting it would have made a harmless bump, or if I would've flown into the air, Last Crusade style.

Scarecrow said:
It's been about a year since I started riding a motorcycle, and I had my first real close call with crashing last week. I was riding on the interstate on the way home from work at about 1am. The road was slick with rain from earlier in the day. As I was cruising along, I noticed a small blob in the center of the road. As I got closer, and as my headlights illuminated the blob, I realized it was a opossum. It was also still alive, hauling ass accross the road, timing itself just right to cross my path. I froze, afraid to keep going straight and hitting the animal, afraid to swerve due to the slick road.

That sound effect from FEAR when you slow down time played in my head.

As the main cone of light from my headlight hit the face of the opossum, it freaked out and did a tactical jump roll backwards away from my path. I was a little shaken up, but couldn't help to laugh at the situation. I don't know if hitting it would have made a harmless bump, or if I would've flown into the air, Last Crusade style.

Have you had to do an emergency stoppie yet? Those are always fun.

Took a few more pictures after getting it all cleaned up a couple days ago:

r1side9-5-09.jpg
r1front9-5-09.jpg

Getting the mileage up there a little ways (closer to 6k now, time for oil change!). You can see my arm in the tach reflection heh.

r1gauge9-5-09.jpg

Fonds

thesoapster said:
Took a few more pictures after getting it all cleaned up a couple days ago:

QUOTE]

Holy shit, beautiful bike man. Haven't seen that colour scheme in Europe yet. Is it unique to the US?

Ashhong said:
damn i took a quick look around and i dont see anywhere selling the 1000 for less than 300 with an extra shield...maybe i have to call to get the cheapest price? not sure if thats still a necessity

http://www.compacc.com/md/Shoei_RF-1000.cfm

There are a few there that you have to have the price emailed to you, but those are some great deals.

Fonds said:
Holy shit, beautiful bike man. Haven't seen that colour scheme in Europe yet. Is it unique to the US?

There is a white EU version, but it's not the same. The frame/swingarm are colored a darker-almost-wine red.

2009-YZF-R1-action-02_tcm26-266410.jpg

Flo_Evans

Nice photos everyone! :D

Just got back to St. Louis. Tail of the dragon was the shit. :D

15661zn.jpg

One quick photo taken by a roadside guy with a website. More later after I take a nap. :lol

Ashhong

thesoapster said:
http://www.compacc.com/md/Shoei_RF-1000.cfm

There are a few there that you have to have the price emailed to you, but those are some great deals.

There is a white EU version, but it's not the same. The frame/swingarm are colored a darker-almost-wine red.

http://www.yamaha-motor-europe.com/Images/2009-YZF-R1-action-02_tcm26-266410.jpg[img][/QUOTE]

280shipped for 1000 solid and an extra visor, not bad. will keep these guys in mind, thanks. hopefully it goes down even more in a month or so, or even more when the 1100 come out.

and goddamn i love the color scheme of your bike. not more than simple solids, but its up there.

Flo_Evans said:
Nice photos everyone! :D

Just got back to St. Louis. Tail of the dragon was the shit. :D

15661zn.jpg

One quick photo taken by a roadside guy with a website. More later after I take a nap. :lol

I'm jealous of you. I want to go there on a weekday when less people are around and just tear up that piece of road. :lol

Flo_Evans

thesoapster said:
I'm jealous of you. I want to go there on a weekday when less people are around and just tear up that piece of road. :lol

I highly recommend and motorcyclist at least go once to ride it. I would post more photos but I am a little drunk right now. Tommorow for sure. :lol

Best road I have ever riden hands down though. Sucks we where held up by hardly riders half the time but we did have a few miles of clear road. :D

There also was a serious accident that the guy had to be choppered out to the hospital from. I wish we would of gone backwards and run it 2-3 times but we only got to do it one way east to west. Next trip we will plan a little better and make sure we have a solid week to explore all the roads. There where allot of gravel roads I wanted to go down but my buddy was on a ducati monster (my old bike I sold to him for my engagement ring, worst mistake of my life but thats another story :p) :lol :lol :lol

:D

LiveFromKyoto said:
Dude! I've never been big on the alien face front design on the new R1s, but that colour scheme makes that bike look crazy!

EDIT: Looking at the dash, is that puppy throttle by wire?

Yeah, chip controlled. The "STD" mode is the normal throttle setting. "A" mode opens the throttle 30% quicker at lower revs. It's fun a lot of the time, but when trying to do fine-tuned throttle motion when it's nearly closed, the opening/closing motion makes the bike jerk a lot, which is not ideal for low-speed turns. On the highways it's pretty nice for top gear roll ons. "B" mode is only really worth using if the road/tires are cold or the road is wet, as it slows it down 30% from standard.

Flo_Evans

345gchk.jpg

Didn't get the trailer loaded and out of town until 11PM

2laaheb.jpg

Got to the campsite at 8am, took a 2 hour nap, then went riding :D

v7xwgi.jpg

Cherohala Skyway. This road is also amazing 50 miles long 3000 feet of elevation change. Awesome views that I wish I would of taken more pics of :lol

29ljsr5.jpg

Sweet dam we stopped at for a bit before we took on the dragon.

1zqyfk2.jpg

I wish I could of got more pics of all the amazing corners. Next time I will bring a better camera and spend more time taking photos. This trips was all about riding.

149yu6x.jpg

I miss my old ducati. But I love my new bike too :)

kckkyo.jpg

East side of the dragon. Harley city. I tried to get a photo with all the bike in one shot, but there was just too damn many of them. At LEAST 300 harleys on the east side.

2z4brkn.jpg

This guy was a packers fan I think...

2mg9h7q.jpg

Even more harleys

rku4iq.jpg

Gift shop. Got lots of cool stickers and a t-shirt :p

a58eiw.jpg

Battle tested Kawa. Fairing was held together with zip ties.

10wvgd1.jpg

Stupid pose by me. :lol

1scqrm.jpg

There where guys set up every other mile taking pics. Most of the time we didn't know they where coming up and didn't have time to strike a cool pose. They also seemed to be conveniently placed every time we where going slow held up by a harley. There where a few other pro photographers there that haven't uploaded photos from the weekend, hope they get some better shots.

6rre3p.jpg

208h0ex.jpg

A nice Boss Hoss.

e8ljjc.jpg

East side of the dragon. This was sport bike city. Ruf Riders where there in force. Lots of stretched Busas. Not exactly the kind of bike I would want to ride down that road but some of them where pretty bad ass.

2irrgur.jpg

This one was pretty nice.

34ryg4z.jpg

Chopper coming in to airlift the guy that wiped out to the hospital. Ouch.

1e1c9z.jpg

Loaded back up and heading home. :(

It was a great trip. Will need to plan better next time and stay longer. So much win around there. I am glad though we made it without any serious incident. Although the radiator on the truck blew halfway home we where able to get it fixed and running the next day. :) Better than being airlifted out with your bike in a pretzel though!

:D :D :D

I am already planning on the next trip. Need to go back and see the fall colors I think. :)

Having seen all of your bikes in this thread I feel a little stupid posting a picture of mine...I love my bike and I've put a lot of blood, sweat and money into it since I bought it back in 2006.

Originally it was a Honda Ape 50cc but I switched the engine to a 100CC and bore it out to a 124cc with takegawa big bore kit, I switched the stock Carb to a Takegawa 28mm Carb and slapped on a nice kitaco cooling kit I also switched the wheel drum brakes to Brembo disc brakes front and back. I replace the shitty shock exhaust with a Yoshimura exhaust and fitted an over racing swing arm.

mseq69.jpg

2gt5jt0.jpg

Flo_Evans

DJmizuhara said:
Having seen all of your bikes in this thread I feel a little stupid posting a picture of mine...I love my bike and I've put a lot of blood, sweat and money into it since I bought it back in 2006.

Originally it was a Honda Ape 50cc but I switched the engine to a 100CC and bore it out to a 124cc with takegawa big bore kit, I switched the stock Carb to a Takegawa 28mm Carb and slapped on a nice kitaco cooling kit I also switched the wheel drum brakes to Brembo disc brakes front and back. I replace the shitty shock exhaust with a Yoshimura exhaust and fitted an over racing swing arm.

Nothing to feel stupid about! That is one tricked out honda. :D

My bike is almost embarrassingly stock. I did some airbox modifications to help it breathe better, added the handgaurds and the rear rack and bought some soft luggage to haul all my shit but the bike mechanically is pretty original. I really want to get a new exhast but there is so much other shit to buy. Need some new gloves, want to get a new helmet. Would love some new boots. Tires probably have 1000 more miles before the knobs are all worn down. The list goes on. :lol Not to mention I already feel pretty lucky the wife lets me go out and risk my life when I should be at home building her closets on the weekend. :D

Flo_Evans said:
Nothing to feel stupid about! That is one tricked out honda. :D

My bike is almost embarrassingly stock. I did some airbox modifications to help it breathe better, added the handgaurds and the rear rack and bought some soft luggage to haul all my shit but the bike mechanically is pretty original. I really want to get a new exhast but there is so much other shit to buy. Need some new gloves, want to get a new helmet. Would love some new boots. Tires probably have 1000 more miles before the knobs are all worn down. The list goes on. :lol Not to mention I already feel pretty lucky the wife lets me go out and risk my life when I should be at home building her closets on the weekend. :D

Shit, I'm so mechanically inept I get worried I'm going to ruin my bike when I do an oilchange. It's a good thing I have a good mechanic. :p

garath

LiveFromKyoto said:

So classy, so stylin'.

The protection will be similar but comfort features will be different. Fit is very important as well. I actually bought an RF-1000, rode with it for a week and I kept getting headaches after riding. Returned it for an X-11 and never looked back. Best helmet I've ever used. I can ride all day in comfort and the fit is perfect.

DJmizuhara said:

That bike is pretty badass (particularly after you more than doubled the displacement!)

Flo_Evans

Found some more pics on another site. I really like pics of me riding more than parking lot pics! Need to hire people to follow me around... :lol

2h7nukh.png

5u3d34.png

t0ji8i.png

These are better, but I still can't find any good mid turn ones. :( Wish he hadn't zoomed so hard on the last shot. He was probably wondering WTF it was :lol

Damaged

DJmizuhara said:

That is seriously cool :D must be great fun to ride!

Flo_Evans

I've gone from not riding my bike enough... to full throttle! Going out this weekend with the BMW shop guys. Gonna get my bike proper dirty. :D

Share your adventures people!

Top Bottom