• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2 wheel GAF UNITE!

I always wonder about Harley maintenance. A coworker of mine has the dealer do the maintenance on his Heritage Softail. They have to change the primary drive fluid and all sorts of other shit. Do ALL belt driven bikes have this sort of design?

One thing's for sure: Japanese brand bikes are more or less guaranteed to be cheaper to own/maintain.

Scarecrow said:
So, I've had my bike for a little over a year. It's got around 5500 miles on it. What are some maintanence issues I should keep up with? Milestone stuff?

Also, it's getting chillier here in Florida. I know it's not as bad as it can get in other areas, but what are some tips for colder weather riding?

Tires. If you let it sit for a while it can develop flat spots in the tires which are never good. Make sure you change your oil/filter at least every year/season. I usually change mine about ever 3,000 miles. I don't know if your bike is a chain final drive or not, but if so, make sure it has the proper tension. Make sure your throttle action still works as expected, check its cable for any excess wear. Check your clutch cable in the same way. Make sure your brake lines are in good condition and that your brakes work properly. Your bike manual may have some other scheduled checks for your mileage that I have not mentioned.

The other things that are more by your manual that I can think of are valve clearance checks and spark plug condition/gap.

As for cold weather riding, take it easier on the gas. The roads are cold and your tires will take longer to heat up. Even when they warm up they will not stick the same as on a summer day. If it's consistently cooler out throughout the day, consider dropping your tires' psi by one or two.

ChanHuk

Banned
Sweet got into another accident. ironically at the same spot as my first accident at school. Long story short, girl didn't yield to me correctly and I didn't have enough road to stop in time so my tire hit some part of her car and then my head went into her fender. Little concussion and a banged shoulder but I'm fine. Anyone know how AAA handles things such as helmets? I know State Farm will replace my helmet but I'm not at fault.

Just waiting on the estimate from the dealer for repairs now, which shouldn't be much as my slider took most the impact. My tank is a little scratched as is my lower fairing. Bent brake lever and pedal, but otherwise the damages shouldn't be too bad. Just hoping there's no damages to the forks.

ChanHuk said:
Sweet got into another accident. ironically at the same spot as my first accident at school. Long story short, girl didn't yield to me correctly and I didn't have enough road to stop in time so my tire hit some part of her car and then my head went into her fender. Little concussion and a banged shoulder but I'm fine. Anyone know how AAA handles things such as helmets? I know State Farm will replace my helmet but I'm not at fault.

Jesus! I'm glad you're safe. I can't imagine that the opposing insurance company won't pay for a new helmet. It's kinda what they have to do.

Just waiting on the estimate from the dealer for repairs now, which shouldn't be much as my slider took most the impact. My tank is a little scratched as is my lower fairing. Bent brake lever and pedal, but otherwise the damages shouldn't be too bad. Just hoping there's no damages to the forks.

Well the other person's insurance is paying at least. So don't worry too much.

ChanHuk

Banned
Dragona Akehi said:
Jesus! I'm glad you're safe. I can't imagine that the opposing insurance company won't pay for a new helmet. It's kinda what they have to do.

Well the other person's insurance is paying at least. So don't worry too much.

Well I'm hoping she doesn't pull some BS saying that its my fault and what not, but she was already indicating that she didn't want to go through insurance and wanted to pay for it out of pocket.

Dragona Akehi said:

Geico didn't pay me shit for my helmet. Granted they did pay for the bike as well as injuries etc.

And glad to hear you are OK, ChanHuk

This picture was taken of me a couple weeks ago on a group ride. The photographer was a passenger on one of the other bikes :)

Gear: Shoei X-Eleven helmet, Spidi GP Kangaroo jacket, Spidi Penta gloves, Bohn Armor under the jeans (partially why I look like I have extra fat thighs...the thigh padding does not help! :lol ), Sidi Vortice Air boots

edit: you can almost see the HID's running, though they're not all that bright at that angle, you can still see my lights are kind of blue-ish

4031044394_13dace138a_o.jpg

DeathNote said:
you'll probably see some at a motorcycle saftey course along with other bikes around 200cc's. so, it's a prefect bike to learn the basics. before or after taking a course, i'd got to honda shop and sit on one and then sit on the 500-700cc bikes. the rebel is too small to own for me IMO.

I do agree in a way. The Nighthawk I rode was a little bit larger than the Rebel, and that thing was ridiculously tiny for me. The Rebel would feel almost like my elbows were touching my knees (OK, maybe not that drastic).

If you need something a little bit bigger but want to stay around 250cc, check out the Kawasaki Nnija 250R. It is a very, very popular starter (and may fit you better ergo wise). On the other hand, a bigger engine bike such as a 500 would not be the worst way to go, either. Just keep in mind the larger of an engine you start the easier you will have to take it and, in a way, the slower you will learn (that is unless you buy something too big for you to start with, then you have the chance to learn very fast, assuming you survive).

Dragona Akehi said:
Remember, it's only your first bike, not your last. Ride it for a couple of seasons and then move up to your dream bike, whatever it may be.

Kinda depends on your dream bike :p

Sometimes a multi bike gradual approach is best (I'd advise against doing something like going from a 250 twin to a Hayabusa [a 1340cc or so i4 hyperbike]). Also keep in mind you may change your mind a few times along the way about what kind of rider you want to be and what kind of riding you want to do. I never bought my first dream bike (and at this rate I may never).

But seriously, Dragona's right. Buy something you can live with, learn on and abuse. Assuming you're young and healthy you have many riding years ahead of you to explore.

C.Dark.DN

Banned
Tater Tot said:
Honda rebel is an okay beginner cycle?
you'll probably see some at a motorcycle saftey course along with other bikes around 200cc's. so, it's a prefect bike to learn the basics. before or after taking a course, i'd got to honda shop and sit on one and then sit on the 500-700cc bikes. the rebel is too small to own for me IMO.

ChanHuk said:
Well I'm hoping she doesn't pull some BS saying that its my fault and what not, but she was already indicating that she didn't want to go through insurance and wanted to pay for it out of pocket.

You didn't have the cops come to the scene? Oh... that isn't good. Insurance companies hate bikes with a passion and will side with a driver whenever they can...

Tater Tot said:
Honda rebel is an okay beginner cycle?

The 250CC? Fantastic!

Remember, it's only your first bike, not your last. Ride it for a couple of seasons and then move up to your dream bike, whatever it may be.

ChanHuk

Banned
Dragona Akehi said:
You didn't have the cops come to the scene? Oh... that isn't good. Insurance companies hate bikes with a passion and will side with a driver whenever they can...

She wanted to pay for the damages out of pocket and so we didn't call, we did exchange info. I guess they'll need a lot of proof to prove that I wasn't at fault as I had to be speeding in excess of 20mph to hit her where I was at. Basically, I was at a stop sign letting people walk across and once they were across I went and she turned left (She had to yield to me) in front of me in about 20-30 feet? This should all be in my school's camera system, I'll give them a call tomorrow.

Critical Jeff said:
I ride two wheels daily, can I be cool too?

bicycles>motorbikes: imo

I've done a lot of bicycle riding. The only thing I can think of that comes anywhere close is flying down a mountain path on an off-road bike. A large part of my liking riding motorcycles has to do with the thrill.

thesoapster said:
Kinda depends on your dream bike :p

Sometimes a multi bike gradual approach is best (I'd advise against doing something like going from a 250 twin to a Hayabusa [a 1340cc or so i4 hyperbike]). Also keep in mind you may change your mind a few times along the way about what kind of rider you want to be and what kind of riding you want to do. I never bought my first dream bike (and at this rate I may never).

But seriously, Dragona's right. Buy something you can live with, learn on and abuse. Assuming you're young and healthy you have many riding years ahead of you to explore.

I should probably have said "start moving up towards your dream bike". :p

Because I totally agree: going from a 250 Rebel to a Hayabusa is also pretty dangerous.
If you were going to go for one of the really fast sports bikes I'd recommend something like:

Honda Rebel/Kawasaki Ninja 250 -> Honda CBR600 -> You crazy man Hayabusa

Another thing I'd recommend is that if you're after a Hayabusa, you should probably take track lessons as well as a regular MSF course, in order to learn how to properly handle such a beast in a safe environment.

ChanHuk said:
She wanted to pay for the damages out of pocket and so we didn't call, we did exchange info. I guess they'll need a lot of proof to prove that I wasn't at fault as I had to be speeding in excess of 20mph to hit her where I was at. Basically, I was at a stop sign letting people walk across and once they were across I went and she turned left (She had to yield to me) in front of me in about 20-30 feet? This should all be in my school's camera system, I'll give them a call tomorrow.

I hope you can get your evidence, but really, next time insist on calling the cops if the other person is at fault and you're riding a bike. The deck is always stacked against us, because of the "reputation" bikers have. It's ridiculous. :/

Flo_Evans

opps!

I am normally pretty good mechanically but I FUBARED my clutch. :(

I broke the clutch adjustment thingy after getting a little off trail on my last ride. No biggie, got a new one for $5 but when I went to put it on I somehow popped the throw-out bearing out of the clutch plate... Pissed of my mechanic real bad. :lol

Lucky my mechanic likes me. He had to take the whole clutch apart and re-assemble it. Only charged me for an oil change woohoo!

I keep thinking about getting my motorcycle license, but the only thing that makes me hesitant is what my mother would say about me riding around a motorcycle.

Anyone have any advice to clam down family members that you wont die while riding a bike?

daw840

Flo_Evans said:
opps!

I am normally pretty good mechanically but I FUBARED my clutch. :(

I broke the clutch adjustment thingy after getting a little off trail on my last ride. No biggie, got a new one for $5 but when I went to put it on I somehow popped the throw-out bearing out of the clutch plate... Pissed of my mechanic real bad. :lol

Lucky my mechanic likes me. He had to take the whole clutch apart and re-assemble it. Only charged me for an oil change woohoo!

Always good to have a mechanic you trust. ;)

Flo_Evans

YuriLowell said:
I keep thinking about getting my motorcycle license, but the only thing that makes me hesitant is what my mother would say about me riding around a motorcycle.

Anyone have any advice to clam down family members that you wont die while riding a bike?

Take a safety course, invest in gear, wear your gear...

Sometime you just have to do what you want. My mom would never let me get a bike when I loved at home, as soon as I moved out it was one of the 1st things I bought :lol

Not to scare you but here are some recent motorcycle injury findings:

Findings from the Hurt Study Motorcycle Accident Cause Factors

1. Approximately three-fourths of these motorcycle accidents involved collision with another vehicle, which was most usually a passenger automobile.
2. Approximately one-fourth of these motorcycle accidents were single vehicle accidents involving the motorcycle colliding with the roadway or some fixed object in the environment.
3. Vehicle failure accounted for less than 3% of these motorcycle accidents, and most of those were single vehicle accidents where control was lost due to a puncture flat.
4. In the single vehicle accidents, motorcycle rider error was present as the accident precipitating factor in about two-thirds of the cases, with the typical error being a slideout and fall due to overbraking or running wide on a curve due to excess speed or under-cornering.
5. Roadway defects (pavement ridges, potholes, etc.) were the accident cause in 2% of the accidents; animal involvement was 1% of the accidents.
6. In the multiple vehicle accidents, the driver of the other vehicle violated the motorcycle right-of-way and caused the accident in two-thirds of those accidents.
7. The failure of motorists to detect and recognize motorcycles in traffic is the predominating cause of motorcycle accidents. The driver of the other vehicle involved in collision with the motorcycle did not see the motorcycle before the collision, or did not see the motorcycle until too late to avoid the collision.
8. Deliberate hostile action by a motorist against a motorcycle rider is a rare accident cause. The most frequent accident configuration is the motorcycle proceeding straight then the automobile makes a left turn in front of the oncoming motorcycle.
9. Intersections are the most likely place for the motorcycle accident, with the other vehicle violating the motorcycle right-of-way, and often violating traffic controls.
10. Weather is not a factor in 98% of motorcycle accidents.
11. Most motorcycle accidents involve a short trip associated with shopping, errands, friends, entertainment or recreation, and the accident is likely to happen in a very short time close to the trip origin.
12. The view of the motorcycle or the other vehicle involved in the accident is limited by glare or obstructed by other vehicles in almost half of the multiple vehicle accidents.
13. Conspicuity of the motorcycle is a critical factor in the multiple vehicle accidents, and accident involvement is significantly reduced by the use of motorcycle headlamps (on in daylight) and the wearing of high visibility yellow, orange or bright red jackets.
14. Fuel system leaks and spills were present in 62% of the motorcycle accidents in the post-crash phase. This represents an undue hazard for fire.
15. The median pre-crash speed was 29.8 mph, and the median crash speed was 21.5 mph, and the one-in-a-thousand crash speed is approximately 86 mph.
16. The typical motorcycle pre-crash lines-of-sight to the traffic hazard portray no contribution of the limits of peripheral vision; more than three-fourths of all accident hazards are within 45deg of either side of straight ahead.
17. Conspicuity of the motorcycle is most critical for the frontal surfaces of the motorcycle and rider.
18. Vehicle defects related to accident causation are rare and likely to be due to deficient or defective maintenance.
19. Motorcycle riders between the ages of 16 and 24 are significantly overrepresented in accidents; motorcycle riders between the ages of 30 and 50 are significantly underrepresented. Although the majority of the accident-involved motorcycle riders are male (96%), the female motorcycles riders are significantly overrepresented in the accident data.
20. Craftsmen, laborers, and students comprise most of the accident-involved motorcycle riders. Professionals, sales workers, and craftsmen are underrepresented and laborers, students and unemployed are overrepresented in the accidents.
21. Motorcycle riders with previous recent traffic citations and accidents are overrepresented in the accident data.
22. The motorcycle riders involved in accidents are essentially without training; 92% were self-taught or learned from family or friends. Motorcycle rider training experience reduces accident involvement and is related to reduced injuries in the event of accidents.
23. More than half of the accident-involved motorcycle riders had less than 5 months experience on the accident motorcycle, although the total street riding experience was almost 3 years. Motorcycle riders with dirt bike experience are significantly underrepresented in the accident data.
24. Lack of attention to the driving task is a common factor for the motorcyclist in an accident.
25. Almost half of the fatal accidents show alcohol involvement.
26. Motorcycle riders in these accidents showed significant collision avoidance problems. Most riders would overbrake and skid the rear wheel, and underbrake the front wheel greatly reducing collision avoidance deceleration. The ability to countersteer and swerve was essentially absent.
27. The typical motorcycle accident allows the motorcyclist just less than 2 seconds to complete all collision avoidance action.
28. Passenger-carrying motorcycles are not overrepresented in the accident area.
29. The driver of the other vehicles involved in collision with the motorcycle are not distinguished from other accident populations except that the ages of 20 to 29, and beyond 65 are overrepresented. Also, these drivers are generally unfamiliar with motorcycles.
30. The large displacement motorcycles are underrepresented in accidents but they are associated with higher injury severity when involved in accidents.
31. Any effect of motorcycle color on accident involvement is not determinable from these data, but is expected to be insignificant because the frontal surfaces are most often presented to the other vehicle involved in the collision.
32. Motorcycles equipped with fairings and windshields are underrepresented in accidents, most likely because of the contribution to conspicuity and the association with more experienced and trained riders.
33. Motorcycle riders in these accidents were significantly without motorcycle license, without any license, or with license revoked.
34. Motorcycle modifications such as those associated with the semi-chopper or cafe racer are definitely overrepresented in accidents.
35. Likelihood of injury is extremely high in these motorcycle accidents-98% of the multiple vehicle collisions and 96% of the single vehicle accidents resulted in some kind of injury to the motorcycle rider; 45% resulted in more than a minor injury.
36. Half of the injuries to the somatic regions were to the ankle-foot, lower leg, knee, and thigh-upper leg.
37. Crash bars are not an effective injury countermeasure; the reduction of injury to the ankle-foot is balanced by increase of injury to the thigh-upper leg, knee, and lower leg.
38. The use of heavy boots, jacket, gloves, etc., is effective in preventing or reducing abrasions and lacerations, which are frequent but rarely severe injuries.
39. Groin injuries were sustained by the motorcyclist in at least 13% of the accidents, which typified by multiple vehicle collision in frontal impact at higher than average speed.
40. Injury severity increases with speed, alcohol involvement and motorcycle size.
41. Seventy-three percent of the accident-involved motorcycle riders used no eye protection, and it is likely that the wind on the unprotected eyes contributed in impairment of vision which delayed hazard detection.
42. Approximately 50% of the motorcycle riders in traffic were using safety helmets but only 40% of the accident-involved motorcycle riders were wearing helmets at the time of the accident.
43. Voluntary safety helmet use by those accident-involved motorcycle riders was lowest for untrained, uneducated, young motorcycle riders on hot days and short trips.
44. The most deadly injuries to the accident victims were injuries to the chest and head.
45. The use of the safety helmet is the single critical factor in the prevention of reduction of head injury; the safety helmet which complies with FMVSS 218 is a significantly effective injury countermeasure.
46. Safety helmet use caused no attenuation of critical traffic sounds, no limitation of precrash visual field, and no fatigue or loss of attention; no element of accident causation was related to helmet use.
47. FMVSS 218 provides a high level of protection in traffic accidents, and needs modification only to increase coverage at the back of the head and demonstrate impact protection of the front of full facial coverage helmets, and insure all adult sizes for traffic use are covered by the standard.
48. Helmeted riders and passengers showed significantly lower head and neck injury for all types of injury, at all levels of injury severity.
49. The increased coverage of the full facial coverage helmet increases protection, and significantly reduces face injuries.
50. There is not liability for neck injury by wearing a safety helmet; helmeted riders had less neck injuries than unhelmeted riders. Only four minor injuries were attributable to helmet use, and in each case the helmet prevented possible critical or fatal head injury.
51. Sixty percent of the motorcyclists were not wearing safety helmets at the time of the accident. Of this group, 26% said they did not wear helmets because they were uncomfortable and inconvenient, and 53% simply had no expectation of accident involvement.
52. Valid motorcycle exposure data can be obtained only from collection at the traffic site. Motor vehicle or driver license data presents information which is completely unrelated to actual use.
53. Less than 10% of the motorcycle riders involved in these accidents had insurance of any kind to provide medical care or replace property.

Some people like to say, it's not a matter of "if" you crash a bike, its "when".

daw840

Flo_Evans said:
Take a safety course, invest in gear, wear your gear...

Sometime you just have to do what you want. My mom would never let me get a bike when I loved at home, as soon as I moved out it was one of the 1st things I bought :lol

Not to scare you but here are some recent motorcycle injury findings:

Some people like to say, it's not a matter of "if" you crash a bike, its "when".

I HATE this statement with a passion. While riding a motorcycle you have to accept the RISK of a crash, but it is not an inevitability.

Thanks for those tips.

I might just wait until I get out of the house to get a cycle.

My dad had one and rode for 40 years and never got into an accident.

I live in a very rural area in virginia, and the bike would only be used for leisure and not as a primary mode of transportation.

Flo_Evans said:

Judging by that list, it's overwhelmingly doofuses who get in accidents - particularly the "92% had no formal training" and "only 10% had any kind of insurance" line. Kinda surprised at the "60% weren't wearing helmets" part - it's mandatory in most places these days, isn't it? Heck, I don't even like wearing an open face helmet because of all the rocks/gravel/bugs that bounce off my face on a ride.

LiveFromKyoto said:
Judging by that list, it's overwhelmingly doofuses who get in accidents - particularly the "92% had no formal training" and "only 10% had any kind of insurance" line. Kinda surprised at the "60% weren't wearing helmets" part - it's mandatory in most places these days, isn't it? Heck, I don't even like wearing an open face helmet because of all the rocks/gravel/bugs that bounce off my face on a ride.

I know in Virginia its illegal to not have a helmet on.
How do ride a bike without insurance? Thats like picking up a hooker without a raincoat.

What I don't understand is riding a bike in shorts and a T-Shirt.

Flo_Evans

daw840 said:
I HATE this statement with a passion. While riding a motorcycle you have to accept the RISK of a crash, but it is not an inevitability.

You can be the best, safest rider in the world but:

7. The failure of motorists to detect and recognize motorcycles in traffic is the predominating cause of motorcycle accidents. The driver of the other vehicle involved in collision with the motorcycle did not see the motorcycle before the collision, or did not see the motorcycle until too late to avoid the collision.

Sometimes you just get plowed into.

That said I have never been in an accident - on the road. Just about everytime I go off road though I am banging something up. :lol

daw840

Flo_Evans said:
You can be the best, safest rider in the world but:

Sometimes you just get plowed into.

That said I have never been in an accident - on the road. Just about everytime I go off road though I am banging something up. :lol

I completely understand that the risk is higher, much higher, but I still don't agree that EVERYONE who rides a MC will go down at one point.

YuriLowell said:
I know in Virginia its illegal to not have a helmet on.
How do ride a bike without insurance? Thats like picking up a hooker without a raincoat.

What I don't understand is riding a bike in shorts and a T-Shirt.

People are fucking retarded.

As for the saying, daw480, it's really meant to put you in the right mindset whilst riding. If you're a paranoid fuck, you're far more likely to catch things that another person wouldn't, thus perhaps preventing a collision. I've ridden for years and I've never been in a collision... a few close calls, and I credit the fact I've not been hit to the fact that I ride like everything is out to get me.

Compare that attitude to that of a 16 year old punk who just has to have a Hayabusa as his first bike, learned "from friends" and only wears a helmet because he'd get a ticket. His attitude whilst riding probably isn't going to be the same as mine.

While the latter is a horrible stereotype, it does help show the disparity between responsible riders and those that shouldn't even have looked at a bike.

ChanHuk

Banned
So got a call back from my service rep at the dealer and it's going to be $1198 to repair the bike excluding a new helmet and my sliders because they don't carry that particular brand. If she doesn't call me by tonight I'll file a claim through my insurance and hers. I'm still a little sore from my accident and went and tried on the new RF-1100 and an outgoing X11 and there's virtually no difference between the two. The RF-1100 is every bit as good as the X11, the X12 on the other hand is a full on straight up race helmet that you don't need riding on the streets unless you got the money to burn.

daw840

Dragona Akehi said:
People are fucking retarded.

As for the saying, daw480, it's really meant to put you in the right mindset whilst riding. If you're a paranoid fuck, you're far more likely to catch things that another person wouldn't, thus perhaps preventing a collision. I've ridden for years and I've never been in a collision... a few close calls, and I credit the fact I've not been hit to the fact that I ride like everything is out to get me.

Compare that attitude to that of a 16 year old punk who just has to have a Hayabusa as his first bike, learned "from friends" and only wears a helmet because he'd get a ticket. His attitude whilst riding probably isn't going to be the same as mine.

While the latter is a horrible stereotype, it does help show the disparity between responsible riders and those that shouldn't even have looked at a bike.

Oh absolutely, I ride like every car, dog, person, stick, tree, etc is going to suddenly jump in front of me at any moment. That's why I haven't been down and I don't plan on going down.

*furiously knocks on wood*

daw840 said:
Oh absolutely, I ride like every car, dog, person, stick, tree, etc is going to suddenly jump in front of me at any moment. That's why I haven't been down and I don't plan on going down.

*furiously knocks on wood*

Sorry for transposing your numerals. :p

But yes, if you ride that way, it's far less likely you'll get into an accident. So don't be angry at the saying. :p

daw840

Dragona Akehi said:
Sorry for transposing your numerals. :p

But yes, if you ride that way, it's far less likely you'll get into an accident. So don't be angry at the saying. :p

I get angry at people who tell me that all the time because they see I am riding a MC.

Random Guy: Nice Bike
Me: Thanks
RG: Have you ever been down?
Me: No, and I don't plan on it.
RG: You know what they say, hur hur? Two types of riders out there, etc.

This is what infuriates me.

Flo_Evans said:
OK dudes (and Dragona...) please please please do NOT try and clean your chain with the bike running in gear!

Should seem fairly obvious, but I ran across this today...

WARNING GRAPHIC IMAGES!!!! do not click if you have recently eaten!

I am nervous enough getting my fingers around the chain/sprocket with the bike off in neutral...

Fuck I think I am going to invest in a proper chain brush.

697481Lrg.jpg

uggg.

BE SAFE!!!
Holy hell...my wife just cleaned the chain on her bike too. Luckily she researched it a lot more than that guy did and she still has all of her digits.

I'm looking to buy a new bicycle this spring and my boss keeps telling me to get the Trek Portland (har, I work in Portland). It looks interesting, but I have so much time to think about I'm open to other suggestions. My daily commute is 5 miles one way on a paved road, and I don't try to take it easy while I'm riding - I do the 5 miles in 20 minutes. I currently have a Marin, but it doesn't seem to fit me very well. From the position of the seat to where the handlebars are, I just feel cramped. I think if I were 5 inches shorter I'd be fine.

Any thoughts? Thanks.

ChanHuk said:
went and tried on the new RF-1100 and an outgoing X11 and there's virtually no difference between the two. The RF-1100 is every bit as good as the X11, the X12 on the other hand is a full on straight up race helmet that you don't need riding on the streets unless you got the money to burn.

On the topic of Shoei, does anybody know if there are custom breath guards or different sizes? The RF-1000's is decent, but doesn't come back far enough, I'd want an extra inch or so. It just touches the tip of my nose as it is.

Flo_Evans

daw840 said:
I get angry at people who tell me that all the time because they see I am riding a MC.

Random Guy: Nice Bike
Me: Thanks
RG: Have you ever been down?
Me: No, and I don't plan on it.
RG: You know what they say, hur hur? Two types of riders out there, etc.

This is what infuriates me.

Most of the time these people are the ones that wish they could be riding a bike. It is a bit odd at 1st, for some reason everyone and their brother wants to come up and strike up a conversation when you are out and about on your motor. They used to ride, they had an uncle killed on a bike, where did you come from, where are you going? I just pay them no mind, nod my head and leave. :lol

Ghostmate

Neo Member
Ok GAF: I'm in the market for a daily commuter while my gixxer is being converted to a track bike. Ideally, it will be another recent model 600 supersport. I live in southern California and want to avoid craigslist for the time being, although both of my previous bikes were bought through that site, because I cannot afford to pay for the full cost of the bike up front. Any suggestions on good, trustworthy (I will settle with least conniving) dealerships?

daw840

Ghostmate said:
Ok GAF: I'm in the market for a daily commuter while my gixxer is being converted to a track bike. Ideally, it will be another recent model 600 supersport. I live in southern California and want to avoid craigslist for the time being, although both of my previous bikes were bought through that site, because I cannot afford to pay for the full cost of the bike up front. Any suggestions on good, trustworthy (I will settle with least conniving) dealerships?

I have heard good things about this place. I'm sure you could get financing through them.

OTD Cyclesports of Inglewood

www.otdcyclesports.com

977 W Hyde Park Blvd
Inglewood, CA 90302-3307
(800) 261-8397

On the other hand, you could just go to your bank and see what they would approve you for a loan. Then they will write you a check for the full amount and you could still buy from CL.

Dragona Akehi said:
Was his first sentence "YOU FUCKER, YOU DENTED MY GRILL"?

I wouldn't know. I was in shock and unaware of practically everything going on around me. I do know from the story the police officer told me afterward that he was probably a scared little shit. He tried to cover his tracks by lying to the officer (saying I was doing a wheelie...cop caught him on that because his previous statement was that he didn't see me; officer: "so...if you didn't see him, how did you know he was doing a wheelie?" :lol :lol ).

thesoapster said:
I wouldn't know. I was in shock and unaware of practically everything going on around me. I do know from the story the police officer told me afterward that he was probably a scared little shit. He tried to cover his tracks by lying to the officer (saying I was doing a wheelie...cop caught him on that because his previous statement was that he didn't see me; officer: "so...if you didn't see him, how did you know he was doing a wheelie?" :lol :lol ).

OK, so he did say that, you were just knocked senseless and don't remember it.

Dragona Akehi said:
OK, so he did say that, you were just knocked senseless and don't remember it.

:lol I was probably not even on the scene anymore when that happened.

All I do remember is answering questions like my name, where I work, etc. Those were the witnesses at the scene who came and saw me later in the hospital (awesome people). The next memory I think I have is being in the ambulance and asking what happened. I have a memory of what sounded like a middle-aged woman who was likely a lifelong smoker answering "you crashed your motorcycle". I definitely remember having a strong sense of disbelief, followed by me wondering whose fault it was (as I clearly remembered having a green light, etc). All of those memories had no visual component. The first "full" memory I had was puking like a motherfucker in the ER. They had given me some sort of medicine that really lowered my blood pressure to a pretty dangerous level, so they had to get it out of my system ASAP.

Fun times. Don't crash, kids.

Ashhong

went to the same dealer i went to the first time to get another Ninja 250R for my friend. The dude wanted like 5200 OTD. i would have hoped that in this economy the prices would have dropped. he spewed some crap about how they CANNOT give it any lower without losing money. i mentioned i bought the bike at the same MSRP last year for about 500 less and he just says things have changed. lame.

half a moon said:
what should you do during the winter when you can't ride it much? let it run for a while weekly?

That is one option. By a while, it should be to let the bike warm up all the way. Alternatively, put the battery on a tender, change the oil, fill the tank most of the way then put in additives. If you are not doing any riding during winter, make sure it gets moved every so often so the tires don't get flat spots (unless you plan on changing the tires anyway).

Ashhong said:
went to the same dealer i went to the first time to get another Ninja 250R for my friend. The dude wanted like 5200 OTD. i would have hoped that in this economy the prices would have dropped. he spewed some crap about how they CANNOT give it any lower without losing money. i mentioned i bought the bike at the same MSRP last year for about 500 less and he just says things have changed. lame.

Bull. Shit. I do see the price of the bike has gone from 3k to 3.5, now it's 4.3k. It's the end of the season and he is asking 900 over MSRP? Check with dealers a couple hours away to see if that makes him budge. I do understand the 250R is in high demand, so that could be why he's being stubborn. I got my R1 (probably the first one in Maryland given the later callbacks I got from other dealers) brand new, brand new model, in February (right before the season starts) for $400 under MSRP OTD.

edit: price should say 3.5 to 4 to 4.3k.

Ashhong

thesoapster said:
Bull. Shit. I do see the price of the bike has gone from 3k to 3.5, now it's 4.3k. It's the end of the season and he is asking 900 over MSRP? Check with dealers a couple hours away to see if that makes him budge. I do understand the 250R is in high demand, so that could be why he's being stubborn. I got my R1 (probably the first one in Maryland given the later callbacks I got from other dealers) brand new, brand new model, in February (right before the season starts) for $400 under MSRP OTD.

wait wat?

Ashhong said:
wait wat?

The Ninja 250R as it is right now was introduced in 2008 for 3 grand. I'm pretty sure before the redesign it was 2.5k. For 09, it was raised to 3.5k, and now Kawasaki's site is showing it was 4.3k. It's a very popular bike and they know it. It is the model Kawasaki sells the most of out of any bike category, period.

edit: wait, I'm sorry. wrong price points. It used to be 3k prior to 08, then 3500 in 08, 4k in 09, now 4300.

Top Bottom