• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2 wheel GAF UNITE!

Flo_Evans

Has anyone here ridden one of these epic roads?

If you have, share your experience and pics please!

I would love to check them all out someday.

http://www.buzzfeed.com/geico/incredible-roads-every-motorcyclist-should-ride-in-their#.nbz2KzOm13

Deals gap:

d0EmXpw.jpg

7PkdTP4.jpg

4LfDhLx.jpg

Amazing area, even if the "tail" is an overcrowded tourist trap at this point. Highly recommended for sport and off road.

Now Mark Twain forest is my backyard, that is where I primarily ride...

rMTNxEwh.jpg

zBdzPDYh.jpg

6g8XGLZh.jpg

QjQErrLh.jpg

Miles and miles of good twisty 2 lane and untold amounts of forest service roads, ATV trails and single track.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NsEcEgf1VOs

:)

Kick myself everytime I am in LA and don't ride muholand/canoyons/highway 1

senahorse

During a recent adventure trip in May my gf had the worst of luck on her XT. First off she lost her numberplate, I had loctite'd the bolts but it had somehow snapped clean off, oh well no big deal. Further along the ride she screamed "oh shit" over the headset, I asked her what was wrong "umm my seat is missing". We had been going through some fairly gnarly terrain and she was standing up the whole time (good girl :D) and somewhere along the way the seat had come off. We had her bike in the shop about 2 weeks before as part of a warranty service and we believe they hadn't tightened the bolts up or put them in at all grrrrrr. I road back a couple of km's and found it down a ditch (must have bounced off). This had shot her confidence a bit, never mind we kept going.

About 2 hours later (about 200km in deep forest/bush, basically the middle of nowhere) she dropped her bike, it was a fairly low speed drop but just the perfect drop to put all the wait on the right handguard, which bent up and then snapped her front brake lever clean off. On inspection the brake line was leaking fluid as well :/ We were able to fix the leak but without any spare levers there was nothing we could do for the lever which meant she was relying on gears and rear brake entirely, we pressed on.

We started going through rougher and tougher terrain and eventually we came to a point where there was no choice but to turn back, as it was getting too dangerous for her with no front brake to go down some of these near vertical (obviously not but it feels like that when you are on them) rutted out single track hills. Also right at this point our Sena headsets ran out of battery (I have power on my bike to charge them but it does take a good hour or so), which meant I could no longer alert her to obstacles and best paths.

So we turned back and came home, we learned a valuable lesson that day. Always ride with spares. To that end I have been going through the Toolkit thread at ADVrider.com and have started working on a spares/tool list, next time nothing will stop us :)

In that thread I came across this hilarious video and wanted to share it:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zsLPIMr6MWc

Wow that looks amazing Flo. I really need to get my ass our more during summer. Got the boy this weekend so next weekend better be good riding weather :)

A Fish Aficionado

I am going to make it through this year if it kills me
Kick myself everytime I am in LA and don't ride muholand/canoyons/highway 1

OMG. Mulholland just freaks me out. Way too much for me, even though it's one or two turns.

I prefer Angels Crest. Gent on hwy 18 to go to Big Bear. My playground while I was at uni.

Holy shit I finally have my bike mechanically sound (cosmetics are another story). I picked it up yesterday after getting the suspension work done. I had the front seals (and guide pieces etc.) replaced along with fresh oil. What a difference. I am a fool for letting it go this long - it performs so much better. It feels great to be on the road...I hadn't really ridden since 26 December. That said I'll never take it to another shop for this to be done. It wound up costing $440! There are a few replaceable Öhlins pieces with the cartridge kit that ran about $50 alone. I watched a few videos and read about it and I probably could have done it myself for under $300 for the first time (have to buy the tools) and then for under $100 every time after. I'll probably just do that :p

Flo_Evans

Yeah the front fork seals on my x challenge are shot. Not looking forward to the bill but the bike is almost 8 years old. I could probably do it but it's 100 degrees in my garage right now...

Got a hitch hauler from harbor frieght to take the scoot to the lake:
Also hacked the gigantic rear mudflap off.

Finally put my MSX/Grom up for sale. I just don't use it since getting my Harley. It's not really motorway capable and I don't have a need to ride around locally. I wish I had it when I lived in London proper because it's a hell of a fun ride.

The money will likely go towards deposit on a ER-6F (aka Ninja 650), Diversion F (aka FZ6R), or CBR650F. Or possible even the MT-07 Tracer aka FJ-07 when it comes out.

Something middleweight, comfortable, sporty-ish, with motorway wind protection.

Watcher

Ive had my ninja 300 for about a year now and im ready for something new. I just dont get that same feeling on the bike anymore. Ive been drooling over a white ducati 899 panigale for weeks now. Somebody stop me

Ive had my ninja 300 for about a year now and im ready for something new. I just dont get that same feeling on the bike anymore. I've been drooling over a white ducati 899 panigale for weeks now. Somebody stop me

Do it! The 899 Panigale is beautiful. Or something the middle of the road like the Triumph Daytona 675.

Watcher

Do it! The 899 Panigale is beautiful. Or something the middle of the road like the Triumph Daytona 675.

The daytona was my 2nd choice but ive sat on one and it was too small. Im 6'2 so most bikes will feel small to me but im hoping the 899 will be more comfortable. The ninja with its upright seating position has spoiled me

Finally put my MSX/Grom up for sale. I just don't use it since getting my Harley. It's not really motorway capable and I don't have a need to ride around locally. I wish I had it when I lived in London proper because it's a hell of a fun ride.

The money will likely go towards deposit on a ER-6F (aka Ninja 650), Diversion F (aka FZ6R), or CBR650F. Or possible even the MT-07 Tracer aka FJ-07 when it comes out.

Something middleweight, comfortable, sporty-ish, with motorway wind protection.

how much you selling it for? Can you post a photo if you dont mind. Year and miles and all the detail.

Ive had my ninja 300 for about a year now and im ready for something new. I just dont get that same feeling on the bike anymore. Ive been drooling over a white ducati 899 panigale for weeks now. Somebody stop me

Try a Buell at least once before you make any decisions.

Also...

You should try a Speed Triple before you make any decisions.

Buy the Triple if you want perfection.

Buy the Buell if you want the other kind of perfection. Flawed, but with a personality that I haven't found in any other bike.

the 899 isn't a bad choice for a second bike if you're determined to have a supersport. it's eminently streetable (much like the daytona), has good manners and throttle response, and is reasonably reliable, relatively speaking.

Watcher

the 899 isn't a bad choice for a second bike if you're determined to have a supersport. it's eminently streetable (much like the daytona), has good manners and throttle response, and is reasonably reliable, relatively speaking.
Im not dead set on a supersport in fact the seating position is a huge turn off as my height makes it even more uncomfortable than it should be but damn that ducati is sexy. I have to ride one before i can make up my mind

Makki

It's not good for short people, in case anyone here is short and considers one. My knees ended where the frame bolt was right before the fairing where someone with longer legs would reach. I'm 5'-6" and it was painful to try to hug the tank with my legs, so I had super sore wrists by the end of the test ride.

lem0n

Never ridden a bike before, but kind of considering one. What should I look into? Anything I should know? Sorry if it's been asked a million times before. I hear a 250 could be a good starter but I'm a big dude and I feel like it would be a little under-powered.

Never ridden a bike before, but kind of considering one. What should I look into? Anything I should know? Sorry if it's been asked a million times before. I hear a 250 could be a good starter but I'm a big dude and I feel like it would be a little under-powered.

If you're in the US, start by taking the MSF Basic Rider Course. That will at least give you some idea of how you like it and will help ease your decision process. I've seen beginners do OK starting even up to a 650 two cylinder, but I don't recommend starting that big for the first. There are some 300 and 500 offerings now that are great.

Wolfe

Maybe this is a bit assholeish of me but I cringe every time I see someone riding with the arch of their foot on the peg instead of the ball.

Doesn't help that I'm still working up the spare cash for a downpayment on a new bike (and am driving a borrowed car in the mean time) and am therefore jealous.

Maybe this is a bit assholeish of me but I cringe every time I see someone riding with the arch of their foot on the peg instead of the ball.

Doesn't help that I'm still working up the spare cash for a downpayment on a new bike (and am driving a borrowed car in the mean time) and am therefore jealous.

You have to start somewhere... hope you get a bike sorted out

Hehe, more like two months.

I washed the Monster yesterday. Took pictures of all the extra bits (original exhaust, seat, booklets, etc.). Slowly readying everything for its sale. Really not looking forward to having some random dude taking a small fortune for a test ride...

LeBoef

you dont talk people out of those lovely v2s

Dougald

Hehe, more like two months.

I washed the Monster yesterday. Took pictures of all the extra bits (original exhaust, seat, booklets, etc.). Slowly readying everything for its sale. Really not looking forward to having some random dude taking a small fortune for a test ride...

How do you handle the test ride when selling it privately? It seems to be pretty common here to take the full price as a cash deposit, which is what I've asked in the past (but oddly no one who has ever bought a bike from me has wanted one).

Wolfe

You have to start somewhere... hope you get a bike sorted out

Don't get me wrong I've been riding for 10 years now, just had to sell my last bike for rent before I moved out of Seattle.

I think one of the reasons I even notice the foot position thing is that's how I used to ride before I got used to using the balls of my feet.

How do you handle the test ride when selling it privately? It seems to be pretty common here to take the full price as a cash deposit, which is what I've asked in the past (but oddly no one who has ever bought a bike from me has wanted one).

Yeah, that is exactly what I'm planning on doing.

Like you though, I'm equally surprised no one has asked this of me when I bought a bike privately.

Dougald

Like you though, I'm equally surprised no one has asked this of me when I bought a bike privately.

The guy I bought my Fazer from asked for a deposit, when we bought the CBR600F we weren't asked though. Actually, it was odd that he wanted us to do a test ride anyway, as we got it for cheap at an eBay auction so technically it was already sold. I ended up taking it for a ride around the block to confirm it still handles like its 1996.

Dougald

Was it any good? When I was selling my Bonneville most of the offers I had from dealers were pretty insulting. Obviously you get less money for the convenience, but we're talking <50% of my asking price insulting.

Cool had an offer on my MSX already. These dealers move fast! (could probably get a bit more from private buyer but more hassle)

Cool man take it. If it was red, black or white I would have taken it off your hands. But thank you for the tax and mot details.

Now to plan the next buy for you. exciting stuff

nico1982

Saturday I did over 500 km on the Dolomites, destination the Giau pass. Other passes of the trip included the Rolle and Pordoi. You can spot the tiny Tuono on the roadside near the yellow guy at the bottom right of the pic :p

Saturday I did over 500 km on the Dolomites, destination the Giau pass. Other passes of the trip included the Rolle and Pordoi. You can spot the tiny Tuono on the roadside near the yellow guy at the bottom right of the pic :p

that what is some of the best roads. Thanks for sharing

nico1982

that what is some of the best roads. Thanks for sharing
Yes, Alps have some of the most breathtaking mountain roads. Quite a bunch of them in facts :) In the summer there's a bit of excessive traffic on the most renowned routes - Rolle pass was just shy of congested - but just outside of them it is almost no man's land.

Yes, Alps have some of the most breathtaking mountain roads. Quite a bunch of them in facts :) In the summer there's a bit of excessive traffic on the most renowned routes - Rolle pass was just shy of congested - but just outside of them it is almost no man's land.

I lived in Switzerland for a year and its such a great place for riding endless passes like that.

Flo_Evans

omg... this is like bucket list rides :)

Yeah, maybe not so bad to live in Europe after all. Just a bit of a shame that I live in the flat as a pancake Netherlands part of it :-/.

Still, I've made an appointment to get the Ulysses checked out before I go to Corsica for a couple of weeks in August. This time I am bringing the bike on my little trailer!

nico1982

Yeah, maybe not so bad to live in Europe after all. Just a bit of a shame that I live in the flat as a pancake Netherlands part of it :-/.
I once met one of your countrymen in the middle of nothing on a spanish plateau :)

It was actually last October. I was in the middle of a rushed "Cabo da Roca and back" (6500 km in 12 days) while he was traveling the continent on a post-diploma trip. We did several hundred of km that day together. It was one of the most pleasant encounters of my journey.

Cool man take it. If it was red, black or white I would have taken it off your hands. But thank you for the tax and mot details.

Now to plan the next buy for you. exciting stuff

Yeah I'm pretty keen on the Ninja 650. But also interested to see how the MT-07 Tracer turns out. Although I don't think that's due to debut till November.

Yeah I'm pretty keen on the Ninja 650. But also interested to see how the MT-07 Tracer turns out. Although I don't think that's due to debut till November.

the Yamaha's is up there again. Really good bikes and they have there brand and range sorted out. I have been trying to contact Honda reading now for 4 days. Now I understand why I find it hard to buy bike from other brands. Its always me doing the work to buy a bike and not the dealer making the effort to sell me something

I will keep on trying

Dougald

the Yamaha's is up there again. Really good bikes and they have there brand and range sorted out. I have been trying to contact Honda reading now for 4 days. Now I understand why I find it hard to buy bike from other brands. Its always me doing the work to buy a bike and not the dealer making the effort to sell me something

I will keep on trying

I never got a good impression from that dealership to be honest. What about the guys in Swindon that used to be George White?

Its hard to find a good dealer, I'm lucky that I have had good experiences with my local Triumph guys.

Top Bottom