• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2 wheel GAF UNITE!

Fixed1979

I reuse my crush gaskets and washers usually 2-3 times. I've never had a leak. Id be surprised if the leak is actually from that washer.

The leak appears to have disappeared since replacing the washer...I can't really say that it's because of the washer getting reused because when I removed the bolt it was quite apparent that I over-torqued the shit out of it when I put it on the first time. I made sure I had my Torque wrench this time around. 25nM is not much...

Lots of great pictures on this page, I should really make an effort to snap some pictures before summer is over again. I don't think I've posted anything since I the last couple mods.

Hot as hell here in Western Canada over the weekend, excellent riding in the evenings (especially when it stays light until 11PM). Too hot during the day though, I needed to open my jacket and visor every red light to avoid over-heating.

Yeah, the long evenings are a god send:

img_20150629_222413y1ut8.jpg

This bike is dangerously comfortable...

Watevaman

That sucks, if you ever need more parts ordered direct from ABBA I'd be happy to have them delivered locally to me then send them on to you.. save at least one customs trip

In the meantime, do what the guy at one of my local Triumph dealerships does, stick it on the sidestand, then lift up the rear wheel and spin it to get the chain lubed!

Never got back to you on this. I'd love to try this method, but with the ZRX being as heavy as it is and with a sidestand as steep as it has, I'm content with waiting for the stand.

Was actually thinking, might send my shifter off to a guy on the ZRX forum who rebuilds them while I wait for the stand. It has a ton of slop in it, both vertically and horizontally, that I'd love to get rid of.

Dougald

I took some really cool footage on the way to get an SD card that doesn't suck, but obviously the one I borrowed really was bad as the video corrupted

By really cool, I mean, I rode through the British countryside and did the speed limit, because I'm boring, but still. It was sunny!

Awesome shot!

Got my bike serviced last week, which also included needing new tyres. Of course this meant I 'had' to go out and scrub them in properly :) Even though it's winter it was a relatively dry week, which meant a blast up the mountains. You know you had a good day when this was your view:

Man, I'm so jealous of those roads. Though the view of the 1100S cockpit is familiar ;)

Dougald

I'll post something up later but the test footage was very good. Have it mounted on top of my GT Air as I already have the bluetooth headset on the side.

One thing I will say is the app for it is TERRIBLE. Just slow and buggy all around, though if you get the ghost s it has a screen so I'm not sure why you'd bother.

I'll post something up later but the test footage was very good. Have it mounted on top of my GT Air as I already have the bluetooth headset on the side.

One thing I will say is the app for it is TERRIBLE. Just slow and buggy all around, though if you get the ghost s it has a screen so I'm not sure why you'd bother.

post a photo of where its mounted if you have some time

Dougald

I did have one already. The mount isn't the prettiest thing in the world without the camera at about 1.5cm high, but it's not too ugly

One other thing, the Ghost S comes with a remote and strap which is very useful if you aren't running it in dashcam mode and want to quickly record something without stopping

StuKen

The GS was in the shop yesterday for its annual service so I got my hands on an S1000XR for the day.
Goes like a rocket, handles like a sports bike, has a great upright riding position and the power delivery is fantastic. Its just not as practical as a GS. The bars are as wide as a GS for control but its not tall enough. The ends are just at the level of almost every car wing mirror out there making filtering a nightmare. The GS is much taller and sails over and sports bikes are much narrower and lower letting you go under. The XR sits in the just wrong spot. Its also not as manoeuvrable at low speeds as the GS is which is strange since its smaller and lighter. The bar lock is smaller yet still almost interferes with the tank, the more aggressive rake angle and the weight distribution is higher than the GS meaning its a little unstable at low speeds.
There is also vibrations. pretty bad ones in fact. Between 4-5k rpm the engine resonates badly and this can be felt quite very strongly in the bars. Its the kind of vibrations that would really numb the hands on a long drive. That rpm range is also where you sit for motorway cruising in 6th gear. There is no escaping it.

It's a weird machine. Slick refined and compromised. The compromises made as a street bike go too far when compared to the S1000R and the compromises made in terms of the riding position, touring capacity and ground clearance don't go far enough when you look at the GS. Very nice bike but not really for me.

There is also vibrations. pretty bad ones in fact. Between 4-5k rpm the engine resonates badly and this can be felt quite very strongly in the bars. Its the kind of vibrations that would really numb the hands on a long drive. That rpm range is also where you sit for motorway cruising in 6th gear. There is no escaping it.

Seems BMW has a knack for getting that just wrong (on some of their bikes at least). Riding the F800R also numbed my hands after 30 minutes or so.

I spent the weekend at Born Free (motorcycle show with invited builders and a bunch of other stuff). Pretty nice bikes all around even if they were 98% harleys haha. I took a few pictures of some tank art work / bikes that I really dug. My girlfriend rode my guzzi and needless to say she stuck out like a sore thumb. She got everything from "Oh is that one of those chinese bikes?" to "wow that's a really clean honda".

Watevaman

Meh, decided to just lube the ZRX chain by moving the bike up the driveway. It's been a few weeks since I've ridden and I was itching for a ride on this beautiful day, so I took it out. Tried a new camera angle since I can't mount the Drift to my helmet at the moment. Excuse the shakiness.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8Bu8gdMZvcM

*disclaimer: this isn't me nor my bike nor my youtube channel. if anyone asks, you didn't watch it

For sure, though it would be nice to hear the striple instead of the wind. Watevaman's approach works nicely in that regard. The ZRX sounds pretty damn good :D.

And thanks for the pics Richard, I'd say with the Guzzi your girl had one of the best looking bikes there ;).

Dougald

The guy in the shop told me the best thing to do is to attach an external mic to the bike somewhere and plug it in... might give that a go

nico1982

I was perplexed by the fact that there were not bike-related threads in the Off Topic section. Now I understand why: there's a motorcycle community :O

Anyway, my first motorcycle has been a 2011 Hornet. Done 70000 km on it in 4 years. I moved to a Tuono 1100 last month, 1600 km up and counting.

I was perplexed by the fact that there were not bike-related threads in the Off Topic section. Now I understand why: there's a motorcycle community :O

Anyway, my first motorcycle has been a 2011 Hornet. Done 70000 km on it in 4 years. I moved to a Tuono 1100 last month, 1600 km up and counting.

welcome and photos photos photos... we need photos lol

Watevaman

On my EXO1100, I ran the mic under a cheekpad. That way I could vlog if I wanted to but it also did a good job of picking up the bike sounds even when I wasn't talking. You can buy a pack of 3 or so lapel mics on Amazon for really cheap.

Fixed1979

So it took about a week but my oil leak is definitely back. Sorry I doubted you Poindexter!

It's still incredibly slow so I feel pretty safe using it for short commutes. I'll take it in to our warehouse this weekend to see if I can track down exactly where it's coming from. This has always been my biggest fear as I know nothing about fixing engines and the closest dealer is +400KM away...

That sucks, man. I was hoping you'd got it with the new washer. I hope it's something simple. Since it started right after your last change the next thing I'd check is the oil filter. It's never happened to me but I've read about the gaskets on oil filters sometimes being defective out of the box

Dougald

I normally coat the gaskets in a thin layer of oil, not sure if its a an old wives tale but seems to help the seal. Hopefully it's that.

I normally coat the gaskets in a thin layer of oil, not sure if its a an old wives tale but seems to help the seal. Hopefully it's that.
Most service manuals I've seen recommend this as well. It helps create a seal, keeps the gasket from cracking and failing from heat and helps keep the gasket from seizing. I know the last one is definitely true. The one time I forgot to do this I ended up pulling the filter off in pieces.

Dougald

I tried putting a little bit of foam over the mic of the Drift, but it didn't really help with wind noise much. I have just gone ahead and ordered their external mic which should solve the problem

Damaged

I tried putting a little bit of foam over the mic of the Drift, but it didn't really help with wind noise much. I have just gone ahead and ordered their external mic which should solve the problem

You have got me looking at external mic's for my go pro now haha. I use a chest mount for the camera so thinking a long cable and mounting the mic under the plastics near the back of my bike by the exhaust. Should kill any wind noise and keep plenty of engine note and I ll just have the cable connect at the base of my seat at the front

Watevaman

You have got me looking at external mic's for my go pro now haha. I use a chest mount for the camera so thinking a long cable and mounting the mic under the plastics near the back of my bike by the exhaust. Should kill any wind noise and keep plenty of engine note and I ll just have the cable connect at the base of my seat at the front

As I said, buy a pack of these and you'll be set.

Dougald

^those turn signals look great, the stock ones were a bit awkward looking. I don't know why they don't integrate them into the fairing like on say, the mid-90s CBR1000F

As I said, buy a pack of these and you'll be set.

Yep, that's what I got, looked at the Drift mic then found one that looked the same for 1/3 the price on eBay! I'm not vlogging so I figure I'll just clip it down on my jacket out of the wind

Took me mum out for a quick (slow) ride earlier, she loved it! Hadn't been on the back of a bike since the late 50s when my Grandad used to take her camping for the isle of man TT. My gear kind of dwarfs her though, hah

Test rode the ER-6F (Ninja 650) yesterday. That's a fun little bike for the money. I'm quite keen on buying either that or the Yamaha Diversion F (FZ6R) but they're both in the need of a refresh. The Kawasaki came out in 2012 and the Yamaha in 2010! Yamaha seem to be just pushing the MT and Rs at the moment. The forthcoming MT-07 Tracer could be good when it get's here. To be unveiled in November apparently.

i-Lo

I am going to get my bike license next year and as such I am torn between two bikes (beginner): The Kawasaki Vulcan S and Honda Shadow Phantom.

If anyone has experience with either bike, I'd love to hear your personal experience. Thank you.

I've read very good things about the Vulcan S. I particularly like they'll change the handlebars, pegs and seat out of the shop so it fits right. Their parallel twin (out of the Ninja and Versys) is a great engine.

Cranzor

I've been thinking about getting a scooter lately (not sure how many people ride one here). The Honda Ruckus is the main one I'm considering. Anyone have experience with them? I don't need anything that goes too fast (not planning to ever ride a motorcycle on the highway). But it'd also be nice to not have to deal with cars constantly riding me and honking and such.

I'm also a little worried about safety. I would take a course from the MSF and wear proper gear, but still, there's that part in my mind that can't help but think this isn't a great idea. Not riding on the highway takes out some of the risk, but still. I'm not expecting anyone to reassure me about the safety, but how do you deal with the risk?

but how do you deal with the risk?

I'm almost 40 and have been a road user of some sorts since I was 10, starting cycling to/from schools, then driving, then more cycling through central London, and now riding a motorcycle through central London. I definitely think my experience on the road has saved my ass a few times.

I treat everyone else like they're trying to kill me. Don't expect other road users to see you, or to follow road rules (give way when they're supposed to, indicate when they're supposed to etc.). Ride confidently but not aggressively. Take the center of the lane etc.

Once you do get your license, get some more advanced rider training (not sure if they do this for scooters but they should cause it's a lot about roadcraft)

And the highway/motorway is actually safer...there are no intersections which is where most accidents happen.

you handle the risk by developing a hyperawareness and an advanced sense of road strategy (that pays off in all aspects of life, frankly).

i'd definitely take the msf class, as it will start you off on the right foot. then, i'd get a 125/150cc scooter, as the extra juice really helps in certain traffic situations.

I am going to get my bike license next year and as such I am torn between two bikes (beginner): The Kawasaki Vulcan S and Honda Shadow Phantom.

If anyone has experience with either bike, I'd love to hear your personal experience. Thank you.

vulcan s. the shadow is more sedate, a little heavier, and less nimble overall.

Cranzor

I'm almost 40 and have been a road user of some sorts since I was 10, starting cycling to/from schools, then driving, then more cycling through central London, and now riding a motorcycle through central London. I definitely think my experience on the road has saved my ass a few times.

I treat everyone else like they're trying to kill me. Don't expect other road users to see you, or to follow road rules (give way when they're supposed to, indicate when they're supposed to etc.). Ride confidently but not aggressively. Take the center of the lane etc.

Once you do get your license, get some more advanced rider training (not sure if they do this for scooters but they should cause it's a lot about roadcraft)

And the highway/motorway is actually safer...there are no intersections which is where most accidents happen.

Good advice. Also, didn't think about that regarding highways. I guess I was just thinking about it from a speed perspective. Makes sense though.

you handle the risk by developing a hyperawareness and an advanced sense of road strategy (that pays off in all aspects of life, frankly).

i'd definitely take the msf class, as it will start you off on the right foot. then, i'd get a 125/150cc scooter, as the extra juice really helps in certain traffic situations.

It seems like riding a scooter/motorcycle would help with anything I'd drive on the road, and like you said, in other aspects of life.

A lot of people seem to love that Ruckus. You think I'd be better off with something more capable? I'm not really looking for speed but I'd be willing to consider something with more power.

Took me mum out for a quick (slow) ride earlier, she loved it! Hadn't been on the back of a bike since the late 50s when my Grandad used to take her camping for the isle of man TT. My gear kind of dwarfs her though, hah

Great picture Doug. Reminds me that I should take my mom out for a ride sometime as well. Did she enjoy it?

Dougald

Another vote for the Vulcan S for me!

Great picture Doug. Reminds me that I should take my mom out for a ride sometime as well. Did she enjoy it?

When I was filtering past a car I could hear her going "woohoo!"... so I'd say so! Thought it was very fast, though I only used maybe 1/8 of the throttle the whole time ;-) Wants to ride with me and the wife on this years Christmas toy run now.

Wolfe

I'm not expecting anyone to reassure me about the safety, but how do you deal with the risk?

Like others have said you kind of have to become more aware, it's a reaction to your changed environment and greater exposure (not that everyone chooses to mind you, YOLO hashtag etc etc). Don't be stupid and always be aware of your surroundings as best you can, should keep you out of any danger.

^those turn signals look great, the stock ones were a bit awkward looking. I don't know why they don't integrate them into the fairing like on say, the mid-90s CBR1000F

Yep, that's what I got, looked at the Drift mic then found one that looked the same for 1/3 the price on eBay! I'm not vlogging so I figure I'll just clip it down on my jacket out of the wind

I was trying to get my mum on the back when she was here a couple of weeks ago but no luck.

Dougald

Looks great, the boxy form factor is one of the reasons I went for a Drift instead so its nice to see they are addressing it

$100 more than a Ghost S is too rich for my blood though.

Looks great, the boxy form factor is one of the reasons I went for a Drift instead so its nice to see they are addressing it

$100 more than a Ghost S is too rich for my blood though.

The second version should have all the recording modes the Hero 4 has. I am not going to drop cash if its not the same or better. The form factor is awesome. I use mine on the bike and for suba diving and the smaller block shape would just work better.

Flo_Evans

IlpI7qYh.jpg

My cousin bought a 500cc scoot. He doesn't really know how to ride it so I was giving people rides. By the 3rd loop around the neighborhood I was scraping the kickstand :)

I think I am going to get a little vespa/honda or something... why are bikes so much fun? :p

Dougald

Scooters get a lot of hate in the UK but I could totally see myself getting a nice maxi scooter like that for commuting if I actually had to leave the house to go to work, they are just so much more practical

Plus that looks comfy as hell

Been also looking at the new Yamaha scooter (125cc).

Really cheap to run and I can get about 150mpg's. But then the Grom is the same price. So Grom that looks like a bike and has all the bike stuff or Scooter with twist and go. mmmmm

HeglqIY.jpg

Top Bottom