• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2 wheel GAF UNITE!

I once met one of your countrymen in the middle of nothing on a spanish plateau :)

It was actually last October. I was in the middle of a rushed "Cabo da Roca and back" (6500 km in 12 days) while he was traveling the continent on a post-diploma trip. We did several hundred of km that day together. It was one of the most pleasant encounters of my journey.

Nice to hear you met one of the pleasant ones :D. Also, Cabo da Roca and back? That sounds interesting, what sort of trip is that exactly? Sounds like quite a lot, 6500km in less than two weeks...

I never got a good impression from that dealership to be honest. What about the guys in Swindon that used to be George White?

Its hard to find a good dealer, I'm lucky that I have had good experiences with my local Triumph guys.

Its just they are so close to get to and so on. I might go back to the guys where I test rode the little one the first time. Much smaller dealer but they where at least helpful.

Dougald

I have again been lusting after a Royal Enfield. There is just something about the history of the marque and the Bullet that makes me just want to own one, even though I know it'll be

- slow
- have terrible brakes
- be unreliable

At least the new bikes actually have fuel injection and a front disc brake, the height of luxury!

If I can ever justify a second bike again..... this or a Grom!

NLCCR4z.jpg

Accidentally popped into GetGeared Leatherhead today. And accidentally bought a new jacket. The Rev'it Defender GTX (not the new Defender Pro which is £600)
It's end of line so was down from £500 to £380, should see me through a good couple of years, and it matches my Rev'it trousers (not to mention my Harley) better. And I can now zip my jacket & trousers hurrah no more jacket riding up and flappy shirt gap!

FJT110_1010UF_300RGB08_detail.jpg

Accidentally popped into GetGeared Leatherhead today. And accidentally bought a new jacket. The Rev'it Defender GTX (not the new Defender Pro which is £600)
It's end of line so was down from £500 to £380, should see me through a good couple of years, and it matches my Rev'it trousers (not to mention my Harley) better. And I can now zip my jacket & trousers hurrah no more jacket riding up and flappy shirt gap!

FJT110_1010UF_300RGB08_detail.jpg

Nice looking jacket... they do have some nice deals there. I need a new pair of summer gloves as mine is way past there sell by date.

I have again been lusting after a Royal Enfield. There is just something about the history of the marque and the Bullet that makes me just want to own one, even though I know it'll be

- slow
- have terrible brakes
- be unreliable

At least the new bikes actually have fuel injection and a front disc brake, the height of luxury!

Invest in an (original) S1 Lightning. You can already see the prices going up in Europe! And they're so much fun.

Damaged

- slow
- have terrible brakes
- be unreliable

NLCCR4z.jpg

Give the continental GT a try, chassis is by Harris and the brakes and suspension are much improved. Still that lovely relaxed motor but in something that corners well :)

Cheers for the feedback about the gloves guys. I will have to make a turn there. I am looking for a pair that has a wiper in as in the UK you are 80% likely to catch some of that.

Dougald

I have a great pair of short gloves but need some new gauntlet-styled ones. Unfortunately I have tiny hands and most shops only seem to carry size L and up for men, even the Dainese retailer I bought my new jacket at didn't have anything my size.

Yeah, motorcycle gear... I thought I had solved all of my problems when I got a pair of rev'it kevlar jeans. Was really happy with them, but when I stretched my legs a bit too much when I mounted the mighty Ulysses last weekend, I seemed to have caused a tear to appear right around the crotch area of the jeans. Kind of disappointing. Wondering whether this might qualify as a warranty issue.

It has once again confirmed though that even the expensive stuff is just a bunch of overpriced garbage. Makes you wonder how it would stand up in an actual crash.

The pair of hugely expensive Icon gloves I got also feel a bit flimsy, though they're not falling apart just yet. My Alpinestars gloves were less expensive but are just about the most uncomfortable things I've ever worn.

And though I'm very pleased with the used Vanson Buell jackets I've managed to get a hold of, they don't offer much in terms of shoulder/elbow protection. Maybe I should just start wearing my Kushitani racing overall again.

Hmmm.

nico1982

Yeah, motorcycle gear... I thought I had solved all of my problems when I got a pair of rev'it kevlar jeans. Was really happy with them, but when I stretched my legs a bit too much when I mounted the mighty Ulysses last weekend, I seemed to have caused a tear to appear right around the crotch area of the jeans. Kind of disappointing. Wondering whether this might qualify as a warranty issue.

It has once again confirmed though that even the expensive stuff is just a bunch of overpriced garbage. Makes you wonder how it would stand up in an actual crash.
Strictly speaking of jeans/denim, I'd only consider Jofama/Halvarssons/Lindstrands. Some of their models are a bit dated in looks but head and shoulder above the crap Dainese/Alpinestars/Spidi pass off as abrasion resistant jeans.

I have a great pair of short gloves but need some new gauntlet-styled ones. Unfortunately I have tiny hands and most shops only seem to carry size L and up for men, even the Dainese retailer I bought my new jacket at didn't have anything my size.

you must check out that getgeared place... really worth the ride out to it so you can fit the glove on and then go outside and feel it around your handle bar.

Dougald

you must check out that getgeared place... really worth the ride out to it so you can fit the glove on and then go outside and feel it around your handle bar.

Good idea, I'll have to run over there sometime.

Infinity Motorcycles actually have a clearance warehouse in Camberley which is excellent for cheap branded gear.. but of course no small gloves! Their Farnborough shop has a lot of Dainese kit so I would recommend it to anyone looking for Dainese specifically.. The pricing is as you would expect from Dainese.

Good idea, I'll have to run over there sometime.

Infinity Motorcycles actually have a clearance warehouse in Camberley which is excellent for cheap branded gear.. but of course no small gloves! Their Farnborough shop has a lot of Dainese kit so I would recommend it to anyone looking for Dainese specifically.. The pricing is as you would expect from Dainese.

Very true, those two shops is the places I visit if I need some gear.

Finally gonna start working on the Harley. I decided against a premade exhaust and I'm going with a custom on. Hoping for a high mount on it instead of something low. I need to find a good set of like 80/20 street / dirt tires. Anyone got ideas?

And the MSX is sold. A bit sad to see the little beast go but it's off to a better home where it will be loved and used (well after the dealer onsells it)

Damn selling to reputable dealers is SO much easier than private buyers. You don't get the same money but it's worth it IMO.

(will NOT look at the dealers site and see what they try to onsell it for!)

Flo_Evans

Riding has its advantages

qbVFOuj.gif

What is the best practice for filtering? do you split the lanes or stay off to the shoulder? I always seem to get 1 or 2 assholes upset whenever I cut to the front in the midwest USA town. I can't decide if the time saved is worth the potential road rage, esp on the scooter where I can't exactly escape at high velocity.

Dougald

What is the best practice for filtering? do you split the lanes or stay off to the shoulder? I always seem to get 1 or 2 assholes upset whenever I cut to the front in the midwest USA town. I can't decide if the time saved is worth the potential road rage, esp on the scooter where I can't exactly escape at high velocity.

Splitting the lanes is best and safest, in the UK where we have lane discipline you should normally overtake between the fast/outside lane and the next lane over, squeezing between the lorries in the slower lanes is a recipe for getting run over. The rules are pretty simple, don't filter where you can't overtake (don't cross a solid white line, basically), don't filter through traffic moving >20mph, don't be stupid/dangerous.

I never really encounter much road rage as filtering is both legal and part of the culture here. Do get the very occasional person moving over to block you, or trying to race you off the lights. Best thing to do in those situations is let them go ahead. Most people don't care and some will move over for you, which always gets a friendly thumbs-up from me.

Wolfe

The US is a mixed pot since it's not "legal" anywhere and the one place it "wasn't illegal", and therefore considered ok (cali), the CHP took down their guidelines on how to safely split due to people making a stink about it.

I typically didn't split in Seattle much but have no problem doing it down in California. I am generally weary about doing it elsewhere since people can get really shitty about seeing you "cutting" ahead in line even though it doesn't negatively impact them at all. Hell even in Cali not everyone is aware it's an ok safe thing to do, especially if they're from out of state and thus you can get people acting like jackasses about it even here.

Watevaman

Rode on the sidewalk with my GS500 one time because I was sitting in 4th of July traffic and could literally see smoke coming up in front of my headlight from me burning oil. I was like "fuck this" and just cut down the side to get some airflow.

Splitting needs to be legal. There's some legislation going around in my state but it's been in purgatory for years.

Has anyone in the UK bought from HelmetCity.co.uk? Recommendations? They've got a very good price on the matt black Schuberth S2 I want (the previous model not the new S2 Sport)

Dougald

I ordered a Shoei for my wife from there a couple months ago. No problems, nice and quick and they ship with DPD so it'll actually show up

Nuova

Banned
Picked up a gorgeous 2013 Triumph Daytona 675! I was really torn between it and the Street Triple. I knew the street would be logical choice with it's upright ergos, but to me it didn't have much aesthetic appeal.

I got to the dealership and the salesmen gave me the keys and told me sit on it and turn it on. As soon as I sat down I had second thoughts... cause DAMN this thing is aggressive. Like you see nothing but road, you gotta look down to see the dash. But, I knew if I went home with the Street I'd always wonder what the Daytona was like. So I took a leap of faith and bought it!

Drove it 200mi home and it felt nothing short of perfect! This thing is so amazing; from that triple whine (hnnngg) to the effortless steering, Triumph caught lightning in a bottle. Put almost 1000mi and I've only got a sore right buttcheek from sitting on my wallet.

Sooooooo happy I made the right choice! :)

Rode on the sidewalk with my GS500 one time because I was sitting in 4th of July traffic and could literally see smoke coming up in front of my headlight from me burning oil. I was like "fuck this" and just cut down the side to get some airflow.

Splitting needs to be legal. There's some legislation going around in my state but it's been in purgatory for years.
My road King heats up obnoxiously fast. If I am sitting still for any amount of time and my ET is over 350 farenheit I will start to split lanes. The few times police have seen me they have not cared. I did have a dude almost hit me trying to block me.

Makki

My most wanted mod finally installed, a fender eliminator for that nasty plastic contraption to go in the trash:

Next mods will be probably ASV levers and a nice slip on. After buying nothing but chinese replica junk for the other bikes I didnt think I would keep for too long it feels nice to buy quality stuff.

Watcher

Welp. Im gonna pay off my ninja 300 and sell it on Craigslist. The right side fairing is scratched to hell and even has cracks from being dropped. Im hoping i can get at least 3 grand for it.

Ducati 899 panigale here i come (hopefully). Hey i can dream cant i. Anybody who owns one or has been on one, how is the heat issue? Is it even an issue?

Makki

wow that makes a massive difference. Nice one

Thanks! It really does, and I love the little bar of LEDS above the plate, it was the most detailed kit I found for sale since all the other ones were just sheetmetal bent to an L shape.

Welp. Im gonna pay off my ninja 300 and sell it on Craigslist. The right side fairing is scratched to hell and even has cracks from being dropped. Im hoping i can get at least 3 grand for it.

Ducati 899 panigale here i come (hopefully). Hey i can dream cant i. Anybody who owns one or has been on one, how is the heat issue? Is it even an issue?

Thats a mighty upgrade lol, be careful. I dont recomend the 899 if you have short legs, my 5' 6" frame didnt fit it and my pant leg was on fire (hot as hell) when I had to stand at traffic lights. If you are a really tall dude then it should be fine, not that much hotter than my R6.

Watcher

Thanks! It really does, and I love the little bar of LEDS above the plate, it was the most detailed kit I found for sale since all the other ones were just sheetmetal bent to an L shape.

Thats a mighty upgrade lol, be careful. I dont recomend the 899 if you have short legs, my 5' 6" frame didnt fit it and my pant leg was on fire (hot as hell) when I had to stand at traffic lights. If you are a really tall dude then it should be fine, not that much hotter than my R6.

Im ~6'3 so my issue is actually being too tall for the bike! My main concern is the heat coming off the bike. But damn, its so sexy i think i could live with it

Piggus

Riding has its advantages

qbVFOuj.gif

This was pretty much a necessity when I rode in Indonesia last year, but in my state it's illegal. Traffic in my town is pretty mild though, so it's not really an issue. The old people and tourists here are also awful drivers so I try to keep my distance from cars.

Its a bit of a pain at the moment as they are working on Castle hill and filtering with a big bike is not viable. That is why I am looking. I also see the new honda pcx get 125mpgs.

I have the 2015 PCX 150 and get about 105 mpg. IMO it's also the best looking scooter available at that price. Don't really like the look of anything else other than the Forza and the Ruckus.

Jackson

I upgraded from a Ninja 300 to a white 899. I passed my MSF last summer, bought the Ninja and rode it for a few months, then borrowed a friend's BMW HP4, went "Holy crap!" Then traded in the 300 a week later (I bought the 300 outright). I put 1,000m on my 300, and put 3,500m on the 899 so far. (For me, it's a weekend/nice weather thing not a DD). Thankfully I have never downed/dropped either.

My 899 next to a buddy's 675R
ebYVTf2.jpg

Speaking of damaged fairings... Don't drop a Panigale unless you wanna pay stupid money to fix it. Unlike a 300, half the reason you buy a Panigale is to stare at it and that cracked fairing will make you sad and the sadness will make you shell out cash to fix it. Hehe

What's stupid money? Well for example the fuel tank on a Panigale cost $3,000 to replace. It's just $300 for the Ninja.

Heat's not an issue. It's more of an issue than other bikes, sure... Just don't be a squid and ride in shorts and you'll be fine. :) Bonus... Yer butt feels great in the cooler fall months.

Some other issues though... There's a stupid hot start issue due to an emissions charcoal canister placed in U.S. versions, remove it (or have a shop remove it) and problem solved! The mirrors don't work well at all. Too vibratey. Also I wear earplugs when I ride any long distance... It's insanely loud stock and bonkers/ loud with Termis.

No big mods for me... I flashed mine with a Tuneboy ECU remap to add cruise control on the start button which is very nice on highway riding and I used a New Rage Cycle FE kit, which looks amazing on this bike.

899-FE-2.jpg

Panigale are like high heels, impractical and painful to walk in, but dang do they make you look good. Lol. Bottom line there's better bikes out there in super sport, 2015 R1 is bonkers... but not prettier/better sounding bikes. And it's still very good on the twisties or on the throttle.

It's a great bike and I didn't have any trouble transitioning to 150hp from 34hp. I suggest running in Wet Mode for the first 100 miles or so, to ease into the HP jump. It cuts the HP to 100, and tones down the throttle and ups the TC/ABS. Also the 300 is garbage on the highway, so nervous! The 899? Great! Going into twisties is so much better too. It's just down to superior suspension parts vs the cheap parts on the 300.

This was pretty much a necessity when I rode in Indonesia last year, but in my state it's illegal. Traffic in my town is pretty mild though, so it's not really an issue. The old people and tourists here are also awful drivers so I try to keep my distance from cars.

I have the 2015 PCX 150 and get about 105 mpg. IMO it's also the best looking scooter available at that price. Don't really like the look of anything else other than the Forza and the Ruckus.

I will have to go and have a look at the pcx as an option. Cheers for the feedback. Also what is the cost of the tax on the pcx?

nico1982

Speaking of damaged fairings... Don't drop a Panigale unless you wanna pay stupid money to fix it.
R&G makes a nice set of crash protectors for it. It is almost unnoticeable.

Anyway, marvelous looking bikes the Panigale, all of them. I still think our (italians) manufacturers should add just a bit more practicality in their design. We'll get there, eventually :p

Watcher

I upgraded from a Ninja 300 to a white 899. I passed my MSF last summer, bought the Ninja and rode it for a few months, then borrowed a friend's BMW HP4, went "Holy crap!" Then traded in the 300 a week later (I bought the 300 outright). I put 1,000m on my 300, and put 3,500m on the 899 so far. (For me, it's a weekend/nice weather thing not a DD). Thankfully I have never downed/dropped either.

My 899 next to a buddy's 675R
ebYVTf2.jpg

Speaking of damaged fairings... Don't drop a Panigale unless you wanna pay stupid money to fix it. Unlike a 300, half the reason you buy a Panigale is to stare at it and that cracked fairing will make you sad and the sadness will make you shell out cash to fix it. Hehe

What's stupid money? Well for example the fuel tank on a Panigale cost $3,000 to replace. It's just $300 for the Ninja.

Heat's not an issue. It's more of an issue than other bikes, sure... Just don't be a squid and ride in shorts and you'll be fine. :) Bonus... Yer butt feels great in the cooler fall months.

Some other issues though... There's a stupid hot start issue due to an emissions charcoal canister placed in U.S. versions, remove it (or have a shop remove it) and problem solved! The mirrors don't work well at all. Too vibratey. Also I wear earplugs when I ride any long distance... It's insanely loud stock and bonkers/ loud with Termis.

No big mods for me... I flashed mine with a Tuneboy ECU remap to add cruise control on the start button which is very nice on highway riding and I used a New Rage Cycle FE kit, which looks amazing on this bike.

899-FE-2.jpg

Panigale are like high heels, impractical and painful to walk in, but dang do they make you look good. Lol. Bottom line there's better bikes out there in super sport, 2015 R1 is bonkers... but not prettier/better sounding bikes. And it's still very good on the twisties or on the throttle.

It's a great bike and I didn't have any trouble transitioning to 150hp from 34hp. I suggest running in Wet Mode for the first 100 miles or so, to ease into the HP jump. It cuts the HP to 100, and tones down the throttle and ups the TC/ABS. Also the 300 is garbage on the highway, so nervous! The 899? Great! Going into twisties is so much better too. It's just down to superior suspension parts vs the cheap parts on the 300.

Thank you for your very detailed reply. That bit about wet mode in particular should be really helpful if i do end up getting the bike. Also, HNNNGG at datass of the panigale, great shot. Its such a sexy machine i 100% want the bike based strictly on looks.

Im also considering a zx6r as it is cheaper, but i know ill always be slightly disappointed that i didnt go with the panigale.

Im also considering a zx6r as it is cheaper, but i know ill always be slightly disappointed that i didnt go with the panigale.
Thing is Ducati is not going anywhere in a hurry. And you'll probably be very disappointed if you drop one. Some more miles on a slightly cheaper bike where you won't be in tears if it gets some scratches on it might be a good idea. But then you don't buy Ducati's based on logic. I admit it's one hell of an appealing bike and would be hard to turn down the opportunity to own one.

@Watcher: I would, however, recommend that you also try a standard/naked bike. Perhaps not as good looking as the 899, but they make a lot more sense on the road.

Maybe an 848 streetfighter if you like Ducati?

NukeLaser

There is a motorcycle thread!

I hope to learn a lot from you all in this thread. I have been riding for a year and some change now, and it is probably the best thing I have ever done. Here is my entry fee of a few pics of my EX300 Ninja:

I just got a GoPro Hero 4 Black last week so I am super pumped about that. Once I fiddle around enough with it I will post some footage of roads around Portland, Oregon.

Top Bottom