• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2 wheel GAF UNITE!

Flo_Evans

I was thinking a zuma 125... I *think* the ruckus will just be too slow without hardcore moding it. But then yeah grom.

2015-yamaha-zuma-125-price.jpg

Dougald

The Grom is also totally impractical and has no underseat storage

I'd still have the Grom over a scooter though, because it looks way more fun

StuKen

Day one of the euro trip done. Dublin to London. Got the entire way there on one tank of fuel. GS, the only way way fly. Tomorrow is London to Poitiers. 700km, the channel tunnel and 30° heat. It's going to be tough.

Dougald

Day one of the euro trip done. Dublin to London. Got the entire way there on one tank of fuel. GS, the only way way fly. Tomorrow is London to Poitiers. 700km, the channel tunnel and 30° heat. It's going to be tough.

Good luck! Channel Tunnel is a breeze on the bike, as are French motorways.. just keep a credit card in your tankbag for the toll booths

Dougald

Twin round headlights just make everything better, fact. My opinion clearly has nothing to do with owning a classic Street Triple.

Dougald

Got my mic for the Drift, so I'll try and do up a better video soon. Unfortunately normal British summer weather has resumed (it's raining right now)

Two different questions, sorry for the long post.

1. How can I tell when my bike will be losing grip?

I just bought myself those Pirelli Diablo Rosso II tires, and they are supposed to be pretty grippy, I'd like to start throwing my bike around a track, but I can't build the confidence to really lean in the turns, how can I tell when I'm at the limit? In a car it just starts sliding, but on two wheels, I don't want to low side and wreck my bike, never pushed it hard enough to know what happens.

2. Mods.

When I installed the new tires on my Gladius (Suzuki 650cc), I asked them to remove the exhaust just for a test, I wanted to see what it would sound like.

Turns out it sounds dead on like a Ducati 1299, shit is MEAN sounding, huge rumble, but clean sound, I expected something way "cheaper" sounding.

I originally wanted to upgrade to a bigger, better sounding bike, but now I kinda want to keep this one, it's a lot cheaper and it's a reliable machine. I just don't really like the way it looks. How can I fix that? Anyone know of mods available for a SV650 Gladius?

StuKen

Day two done. London to Poitiers 780km, 3 hour channel tunnel delay, wind rain and humidity and the insanity of French tolling. Totally shattered now. Last leg tomorrow should be easier. A minuscule 550km to Guernica.

Day two done. London to Poitiers 780km, 3 hour channel tunnel delay, wind rain and humidity and the insanity of French tolling. Totally shattered now. Last leg tomorrow should be easier. A minuscule 550km to Guernica.

Any pics to keep us excited. Enjoy the ride

I just bought myself those Pirelli Diablo Rosso II tires, and they are supposed to be pretty grippy, I'd like to start throwing my bike around a track, but I can't build the confidence to really lean in the turns, how can I tell when I'm at the limit? In a car it just starts sliding, but on two wheels, I don't want to low side and wreck my bike, never pushed it hard enough to know what happens.

Yeah, well, like you mentioned, the margin of error is a lot smaller on a bike though a small slide doesn't have to equal a crash, at least not immediately. A good tire will slide for a little bit before losing grip completely to provide you with an opportunity to decrease speed and lean angle. There's also different ways in which you might lose grip: just the front wheel, just the back, or both at the same time. Just the back is usually a matter of too much power applied and can actually be controlled if you're a total badass. This is advanced stuff though and should never be practiced on public roads. Just back off the throttle a bit when this happens. Front wheel is more dangerous and is usually caused by poor road surface, rain, spilled diesel or a combination of these. When both go a the same time (for me) it's always been because of slightly damp roads with very cold tires. Maybe I've simply been extremely lucky, but every time this happened I was allowed a quarter of a second to adjust for it by letting off the brakes or setting the bike a bit more upright.

Not having the confidence to really lean into corners might be the result of a couple of things: suspension not properly setup for your weight, literally not having the confidence to do it or your tires simply not giving you said confidence. I know tire preference can be a very personal matter, but I've never felt comfortable on Pirellis. It wasn't until I tried Michelin that things really started to come together. Though I still scan the road ahead of me for spots/debris and I've never ever put a knee down on public roads.

Dougald

2. Mods.

When I installed the new tires on my Gladius (Suzuki 650cc), I asked them to remove the exhaust just for a test, I wanted to see what it would sound like.

Turns out it sounds dead on like a Ducati 1299, shit is MEAN sounding, huge rumble, but clean sound, I expected something way "cheaper" sounding.

I originally wanted to upgrade to a bigger, better sounding bike, but now I kinda want to keep this one, it's a lot cheaper and it's a reliable machine. I just don't really like the way it looks. How can I fix that? Anyone know of mods available for a SV650 Gladius?

I don't really know of anything specific, but you can always do what everyone seems to do...

- Exhaust (full system or slip-on end can)
- CNC style brake and clutch levers
- Flyscreen?
- Belly pan
- Tail tidy set if you like that sort of thing
- Swap out the indicators for LED ones
- Rim tape

Personally I think a belly pan always looks great on that style of bike (hence having one on my Street Triple)

I never drive in Reading, especially when motorcycles are allowed in 75% of the bus lanes there, you can't go wrong.

Its a bit of a pain at the moment as they are working on Castle hill and filtering with a big bike is not viable. That is why I am looking. I also see the new honda pcx get 125mpgs.

Infinitely bigger than the current gen Bonneville in any case. It looks quite thin though, with a big area. Apparently it's jumped to an 1100cc.

Dougald

Supposedly now watercooled (those fins are aesthetic)

A larger engined Bonneville would be something I'd like to try, it's too down on power for me to want another one right now

Flo_Evans

2. Mods.

On a 650 you can pretty much go WOT through most turns without worry of the rear breaking free. Most of your sliding will be from weight transfer, some people call it backing it in to turns, not sure where the expression came from but basically you enter the turn too fast and then lean it aggressively. This will cause the bike to push the front wheel slightly. Then you get on the power to straighten it out. Modern motorcycle rubber is pretty amazing, it has more grip than most people know what to do with. Low sides are most commonly caused by people leaning the wrong way then scraping hard parts then freaking out.

Good practice is to find a non busy traffic circle and just do loops. Gradually increase speed, practice leaning to the inside. You will notice leaning your body inside allows for less bike lean angle and more margin for course correction. Remember the bike wants to go straight. You are upsetting the balance by leaning, most of the time if you just jump off a bike mid turn it will straighten up and keep going. To feel really solid leaned over you must apply some throttle through the turn. I notice a lot of new riders coast through turns, or chop the throttle the 1st whiff of trouble. It's counter intuitive but the solution to most worries on a bike is lean harder and more throttle.

Just slowly increase your corner entry speed until you get a feel for it. Don't worry about the lean angle so much, that will come as you get faster.

Disclaimer: this is obviously hazardous. Your best bet is hands on instruction on a closed course. YOLO.

I don't really know of anything specific, but you can always do what everyone seems to do...

- Exhaust (full system or slip-on end can)
- CNC style brake and clutch levers
- Flyscreen?
- Belly pan
- Tail tidy set if you like that sort of thing
- Swap out the indicators for LED ones
- Rim tape

Personally I think a belly pan always looks great on that style of bike (hence having one on my Street Triple)

A tail tidy set seems almost mandatory for my bike, hate the current one.

Any idea for custom headlights? Can I just pick any light I want or do I need a gladius specific one?

Lots of words.

Very helpful, thanks.

Dougald

A tail tidy set seems almost mandatory for my bike, hate the current one.

Any idea for custom headlights? Can I just pick any light I want or do I need a gladius specific one?

I'm sure you could fit anything, but if its not for your model, you'll probably have to get some mounting brackets made up for it

Flo_Evans

Zuma break in.

I did not follow the recommended half throttle baloney...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eP8KXrZkNB8

:p

Of course I had to take it over some gravel, washed out the rear a few times throwing to hard into wet turns, got pretty wet! I think we imported some of your weather here Dougald. Been raining for weeks!

For reference 12 o'clock on the speedo is 40 blazing MPH. ;)

Seems quite decent putting around, you do still feel some of that "scooter going up a hill" drag at times but for my intended travel locations its good. I also discovered they didn't properly inflate the tires (so much for the setup/delivery fee... both front and rear were 10psi low >_<) that made a noticeable difference in top speed and acceleration.

Not sure what I am going to do for mods, for my initial research adding a pipe and intake really only add noise, even kill the low end a bit for top end. To break 70mph I think a big bore kit and cam is needed, not sure if I want to do all that since I have a "real" motorcycle that can go fast if I need it. I do want to see what the clutch and transmission feel like after more break-in, it seem allot of gains could be made by tinkering with the grab point and the CVT tension.

Fun stuff :)

Going to get a hitch haul and take it on family camping trips and whatnot besides commuting and late night snack runs to the corner store.

Watevaman

ABBA shipped on Monday, so hopefully it'll be here sometime next week. All depends on how long it sits in customs at the border between the US and Canada.

Zuma break in.

I did not follow the recommended half throttle baloney...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eP8KXrZkNB8

:p

Of course I had to take it over some gravel, washed out the rear a few times throwing to hard into wet turns, got pretty wet! I think we imported some of your weather here Dougald. Been raining for weeks!

For reference 12 o'clock on the speedo is 40 blazing MPH. ;)

Seems quite decent putting around, you do still feel some of that "scooter going up a hill" drag at times but for my intended travel locations its good. I also discovered they didn't properly inflate the tires (so much for the setup/delivery fee... both front and rear were 10psi low >_<) that made a noticeable difference in top speed and acceleration.

Not sure what I am going to do for mods, for my initial research adding a pipe and intake really only add noise, even kill the low end a bit for top end. To break 70mph I think a big bore kit and cam is needed, not sure if I want to do all that since I have a "real" motorcycle that can go fast if I need it. I do want to see what the clutch and transmission feel like after more break-in, it seem allot of gains could be made by tinkering with the grab point and the CVT tension.

Fun stuff :)

Going to get a hitch haul and take it on family camping trips and whatnot besides commuting and late night snack runs to the corner store.

Nice vid man. I am so in two minds to get something small to get to work but I know I am then rarely going to use my big bike.

Dougald

Gave the Drift external mic some testing. In my jacket pocket there is still about 50% as much windnoise, stuffed inside the jacket it's maybe 25% which is pretty good. As good as I'm going to get without mounting it either under the seat or in my helmet, I think.

Yeah I am down like 30lbs this year. Look better and bikes are faster :)

Damn I lost 20 and I thought I had done well, nice one! I used to be obese and I find avoiding rebuying £1000s of bike gear is the best incentive not to get fat again... when the trousers start getting tight it lets me know I need to go on a diet lol

Flo_Evans

Nice vid man. I am so in two minds to get something small to get to work but I know I am then rarely going to use my big bike.

I kept torturing myself over another bike or a new car and just said fuck it, the cost is so low (I financed the entire thing at $80/month for 36 months) why not? Used market for scoots is pretty good (people are asking $2300 for a 2009 model...) I can always get rid of it if I get bored. Full coverage Insurance was $200/year. 70-80 mpg. Whats not to love?

I kept torturing myself over another bike or a new car and just said fuck it, the cost is so low (I financed the entire thing at $80/month for 36 months) why not? Used market for scoots is pretty good (people are asking $2300 for a 2009 model...) I can always get rid of it if I get bored. Full coverage Insurance was $200/year. 70-80 mpg. Whats not to love?

damn now I am back in... mmmm

So in the month I've had my harley the following has happened.

Lost a shifter peg (replaced with a better one and used loctite)

Oil leak from unknown place near the shifter rod (replaced gasket)

Bike completely lost power on the freeway (shop says the battery terminals are fried)

Turning signal fell off mid ride (put loctite on it and re-tightened it)

After all this I still love the bike but man I'm glad I got my Guzzi as my first bike. I never had any of these problems.

Watevaman

ABBA stand came in today, I've been busy with work and I'm gonna be out of town this weekend, but I will get a video review up asap for you guys.

Bike completely lost power on the freeway (shop says the battery terminals are fried)

After all this I still love the bike but man I'm glad I got my Guzzi as my first bike. I never had any of these problems.
Battery terminals are fried? I'd really be questioning how that happened. A really careless previous owner, something bigger or an incompetent shop diagnosis. I'd honestly think something bigger. Harleys are known to have issues with voltage regulators and stators in hot weather.

Wow man that is not good. The other bits are fixable but the battery terminals should not get fried. Electrics and engine should be solid otherwise get it checked out if you can.

Top Bottom