• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2 wheel GAF UNITE!

Flo_Evans

It's like a Range Rover... sure it can go off road but you wouldn't buy one if you were serious about doing it you'd buy a Defender. No slight against the R1200GS though, I'd love one, and its lack of offroading ability isn't really an issue as, like you say, most of them will never see more than a gravel car park.

I have it on pretty good authority BMW has another HP2 enduro type bike in the works.

Basically a 1200GS on a diet, 21" front wheel and traditional forks.

Another update.

YDpyXqC.jpg

Figuring out the rear fender / new seat set up.

Dirt pegs. Watch your ankles.

It's like a Range Rover... sure it can go off road but you wouldn't buy one if you were serious about doing it you'd buy a Defender. No slight against the R1200GS though, I'd love one, and its lack of offroading ability isn't really an issue as, like you say, most of them will never see more than a gravel car park.

was riding next to a guy on the Speed triple 2015 plate... I tried to give him the tumbs up for a super nice looking bike but he was not interested. I was surprised to see how high the bike is... he was tip toeing

Seat mounted and rear fender good to go. Pains me to know that the most expensive stuff is what's left haha. Since I'm going with a 19 inch front and a 17 rear I need to have new wheels built which are gonna come in at around 2k. Custom high mount exhaust I'm looking at I'd around 1300.

I wish I could make a kick starter for someone to finance the fun I'm having in the future hahaha.

Seat mounted and rear fender good to go. Pains me to know that the most expensive stuff is what's left haha. Since I'm going with a 19 inch front and a 17 rear I need to have new wheels built which are gonna come in at around 2k. Custom high mount exhaust I'm looking at I'd around 1300.

I wish I could make a kick starter for someone to finance the fun I'm having in the future hahaha.

Looking very nice so far.

Piggus

I will have to go and have a look at the pcx as an option. Cheers for the feedback. Also what is the cost of the tax on the pcx?

Hey man sorry for missing your question. There's a $300 destination charge on motorcycles here typically when you buy, but beyond that all motorcycles just have to have their registration renewed every two years for $48 (or four years for $96), at which point they test your vehicle to ensure it meets emission standards. We don't pay any kind of congestion charge or emission taxes. In fact my state doesn't even have sales tax.

They must have made some kind of adjustments during my first service because I'm now averaging about 10 mpg more than I was before. Gonna need to get my monthly $5 fillup soon though. :p

Hey guys, amateur question here, maybe some of y'all will get a laugh out of it but I am honestly curious:

I've got a fuel injected bike, and I've stalled the bike a couple times learning in the parking lot. If I stall, do I need to turn off the ignition and re-do the whole FINE-C process, or can I just push the engine start button again?

Dougald

Richard, that single seat looks great. I love that style of custom, very bobber-esque.

Hey guys, amateur question here, maybe some of y'all will get a laugh out of it but I am honestly curious:

I've got a fuel injected bike, and I've stalled the bike a couple times learning in the parking lot. If I stall, do I need to turn off the ignition and re-do the whole FINE-C process, or can I just push the engine start button again?

*Should* just be able to start it per. your bikes normal starting safety requirements (clutch in, no sidestand, etc). If the starter doesn't crank then you probably aren't meeting one of those

You should be able to just pull the clutch in and hit the start button. Last thing you want is faffing when/if you stall in real life eg at a set of lights with impatient drivers behind you

Watevaman

Went out for a ride this morning, had a great time for about an hour and a half. Came home, ate, decided it's too nice not to be out riding again. Got the bike out, made it about a mile down the road before I started feeling some sluggishness in the steering. Pulled over, got gas, checked everything on the front and it was all ok, so I kept on going. Still sluggish, so I decided I'd check the rear and boom, it was flat. Put it on the stand and found a slit about a centimeter long in it. Damn it, and I was hoping I'd get the whole summer out of this tire.

While in Limburg last week, we met a guy in the tent next to us (on the camping) who turned out to be the owner of 8 motorcycles (mostly Ducati). He'd also had plans to buy a Desmosedici actually. But that wasn't even the best part. Once my girlfriend mentioned I also had a Ducati for sale, he was interested. With a bit of luck, he's comin round to see the bike tomorrow or the day after.

Already (finally) transferred the GPS mount from the Monster to the Ulysses and fixed a little tear near the rear indicator on the Ducati. It's ready to be sold and I'm ready to sell. Hope he shows up.

Very pleased with the GPS on the Uly though. Also took it to the shop yesterday. They checked a bunch of things, most notably the wheel bearings:

Pics posted by Twin Motorcycles

(my bike is the first one in that album, with the exception of that oil pump drive gear, luckily not mine)

Dougald

My Sunday afternoon was spend diagnosing my troublesome cooling. I am pretty sure some air got into the system thanks to my brain fart with the overflow pipe and radiator cap (coolant should probably not be boiling and radiator caps hissing!). No more leaks though so at least that is sorted.

A couple hours of painstakingly tightening hose clamps, shaking the bike and squeezing tubes yielded a few air bubbles.. ran the bike around enough that the fan came on full-force and no more boiling so far.

My Sunday afternoon was spend diagnosing my troublesome cooling. I am pretty sure some air got into the system thanks to my brain fart with the overflow pipe and radiator cap (coolant should probably not be boiling and radiator caps hissing!). No more leaks though so at least that is sorted.

A couple hours of painstakingly tightening hose clamps, shaking the bike and squeezing tubes yielded a few air bubbles.. ran the bike around enough that the fan came on full-force and no more boiling so far.

that is job done for a sunday... hope its now sorted.

Hope you all don't mind the flood of newbie questions.

I'm having some trouble downshifting. When I downshift, the the engine screams while the RPMs jump and the bike drastically slows down. From what I've read this is engine braking? But, it's not smooth. I mean I immediately lose a significant amount of speed and it jerks while I feel like it should be a more gradual thing. Here's my process:

1. In 3rd gear
2. Driving 25mph
3. Hold clutch
4. Close throttle
5. Down shift to 2nd
6. Slowly (imo anyway) release clutch (at this point my bike jerks as I'm slowed down dramatically)
7. Open throttle a bit

Any tips?

Watevaman

Yeah, that's engine braking. If it's as sudden as you mention, it's probably because you're not letting the clutch out slow enough. In time, you'll get the dexterity in your hands to know how fast is too fast and adjust to it. Just keep letting the clutch out slower and slower until you reach a point where you feel comfortable with how the bike is reacting.

There's also rev-matching, which is where you clutch in>downshift>blip the throttle to bring up the RPMs>let the clutch out, all in quick succession which smooths out the process but isn't really needed on the street.

Dougald

If it's that violent you're probably just changing down too soon, unless you want to get into rev matching as watevaman said. I am guessing you aren't used to manual gearboxes from driving?

You should feel the engine braking as though you are using the brakes, but it shouldn't be intense

Thanks Watevaman

If it's that violent you're probably just changing down too soon, unless you want to get into rev matching as watevaman said. I am guessing you aren't used to manual gearboxes from driving?

You should feel the engine braking as though you are using the brakes, but it shouldn't be intense

No, I'm not at all. Been wanting to learn that too. But I took a look at the owners manual and you're correct. In looking at the recommended shift points I was simply at too high a speed to shift down. I needed to brake more.

Getting the hang of this. Too bad I won't be able to get back on until Saturday thanks to work

Ever have those days where you think, I should have taken the train today. First ruin my Kriega, then have 3 individual near misses with assholes on mobile phones driving down the A2. The third one of which undertook me in the outside lane while I was doing ~75...and he was still half in my lane.

Stiff drink needed to celebrate being alive!

Damaged

Was doing a photography job last weekend for a historic racing series and spotted this in the paddock,...

I now have a very unhealthy lust for early C90's :(

I've had better days no doubt.

I was following a friend on a ride. I was looking down the road and he seemed to suddenly brake hard out of nowhere (it was for a turn I didn't realize he was going to take). I was unprepared and swerved a bit and braked but was so close I still clipped him.

20630918762_a6ec1f004d_b.jpg

I spent a few hours at University of Maryland Shock Trauma. I have a fractured left clavicle (luckily the least severe type) but am otherwise OK. The bike is not overly horrible but I do think there are a couple pricey items to fix. The radiator is dented pretty good, and there are also some scuffs/dents on the headers. The plastics were already shit and were due to be replaced.

I gotta say I'm really thinking I'm done with the street. I've said it before but I'm just growing more and more tired of dealing with all the extra bullshit to try and extract a couple fun moments. My jacket was a snug, proper fit, so it had to be cut off. Gloves are done (Handroids that have been crashed in once before), helmet done, pants basically ready to be retired. Those Supertech Rs, though...still trucking along.

Makki

Glad you made it out with non life threatening injuries. I think right now its the salt talking when you say you are done with the street. It was an easily avoidable accident that you can prepare better for given this experience. Hope your insurance is easy to deal with and you get your stuff all replaced. If you have good insurance all those things, jacket, gloves, helmet and fairings should all be replaced for whatever your deductible is.

The cheapest insurance offering collision coverage is still a couple thousand more per year than no collision, therefore I do not have it. I will be fixing out of pocket.

Dougald

Glad to hear you are ok, and I think you may be right about switching to track riding (at least for sportbikes). The roads are so bad and the performance of the bike so high that there aren't that many places to enjoy it legally and safely.. roads you might enjoy cruising on a slower/more relaxed bike are just frustrating

I know a guy who gave up road riding sportbikes and just trailers his Ducati around to trackdays instead. Loves it.

I've had better days no doubt.

I was following a friend on a ride. I was looking down the road and he seemed to suddenly brake hard out of nowhere (it was for a turn I didn't realize he was going to take). I was unprepared and swerved a bit and braked but was so close I still clipped him.

20630918762_a6ec1f004d_b.jpg

I spent a few hours at University of Maryland Shock Trauma. I have a fractured left clavicle (luckily the least severe type) but am otherwise OK. The bike is not overly horrible but I do think there are a couple pricey items to fix. The radiator is dented pretty good, and there are also some scuffs/dents on the headers. The plastics were already shit and were due to be replaced.

I gotta say I'm really thinking I'm done with the street. I've said it before but I'm just growing more and more tired of dealing with all the extra bullshit to try and extract a couple fun moments. My jacket was a snug, proper fit, so it had to be cut off. Gloves are done (Handroids that have been crashed in once before), helmet done, pants basically ready to be retired. Those Supertech Rs, though...still trucking along.

Wow man... thanks for the post as it make people think a bit more about how carful you need to be on the road. I am just glad you are not badly hurt and you can get up and go again. Hope you get fixed up soon and see you back on the bike.

Evo X

Damn, that sucks soapster, but good to hear you made it out alright. Rather the gear get damaged than your body. That's it's purpose.

Were you riding staggered? When I go out with a group, that's what we do to try and avoid situations like this.

Watevaman

Bummer about the accident :( I hope you recover safely, and yeah, if you feel like street riding isn't gonna cut it, it's perfectly fine to switch to track-only. I know I have some friends that are pretty much at that point.

Damn, that sucks soapster, but good to hear you made it out alright. Rather the gear get damaged than your body. That's it's purpose.

Were you riding staggered? When I go out with a group, that's what we do to try and avoid situations like this.

When riding straight it's often staggered, but for sections with turns it helps to give yourself all the room of the lane. I was a little offset to his left, but not enough! His bike stayed upright but suffered a bent rear wheel (we couldn't immediately tell what part of my bike was responsible for the wheel) along with a couple extra scrapes.

Shit, sorry to hear it soapster. Could've been worse, but that's just a minor consolation.

Being done with the street is something I'd probably go for if I could haul my bike out for track days etc.

Heal up soon.

Dougald

I'll never give up street riding, but going fast/twisties/etc isn't really why I ride

After dismissing Buell as too unreliable/hard to source parts for, I spent all week looking at Guzzis, almost certainly more unreliable and they probably sell about 50 a year in the UK so I can't imagine parts are readily in stock. That sideways mounted V-Twin looks so much fun though.

Watevaman

So, put the new tire on:

wp_20150821_16_28_10_pro_by_watevaman-d96n4mw.jpg

Also bled the front brakes and clutch and lemme say that I should've done it a lot earlier. Even on my GS500 there wasn't as much sludge as there was in these master cylinders. I also love how the front brakes actually grab a lot more now, it's like a whole new system. Previously, I'd mostly use the rear coming to a stoplight (weird, I know), but now my fronts are super grippy and smooth, so I don't feel bad using them.

I'll never give up street riding, but going fast/twisties/etc isn't really why I ride

After dismissing Buell as too unreliable/hard to source parts for, I spent all week looking at Guzzis, almost certainly more unreliable and they probably sell about 50 a year in the UK so I can't imagine parts are readily in stock. That sideways mounted V-Twin looks so much fun though.

Despite there being 3 Guzzi shops near my place it's STILL a chore to find parts. I had to replace a clutch lever after my friend dropped my bike and I had to wait almost 2 months for them to ship it from Italy.

Don't get a guzzi if you like wrenching on your bike.

Dougald

I suppose at least parts are quicker to come from italy to the UK (thank you single market)

That is assuming they're in stock... ha

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
Just bought a Poloni variator for the Ruckus. I'm gonna be close to 50mph this time Tuesday. Trust me, 50 on a Ruckus is a big deal. More importantly I'm installing it myself like a proper man.

VASPER

Banned
Hope you all don't mind the flood of newbie questions.

I'm having some trouble downshifting. When I downshift, the the engine screams while the RPMs jump and the bike drastically slows down. From what I've read this is engine braking? But, it's not smooth. I mean I immediately lose a significant amount of speed and it jerks while I feel like it should be a more gradual thing. Here's my process:

1. In 3rd gear
2. Driving 25mph
3. Hold clutch
4. Close throttle
5. Down shift to 2nd
6. Slowly (imo anyway) release clutch (at this point my bike jerks as I'm slowed down dramatically)
7. Open throttle a bit

Any tips?

This is engine braking not recommended IMO, break pads are cheaper than a new clutch. Down shift for the speed your going,(for me its every 10-15 MPH) from my experience down shifting while at speed is no good, slow down and then down shift. Any time you are shifting gears give it a little throttle. IMO you should take a class and get your licence.

Dougald

Just bought a Poloni variator for the Ruckus. I'm gonna be close to 50mph this time Tuesday. Trust me, 50 on a Ruckus is a big deal. More importantly I'm installing it myself like a proper man.

Awesome! Those things can just about hit 40 (going downhill with a tailwind) stock, can't they?

Progress on the bike is kinda in the final stages at this point. Exhaust is getting welded by a friend of a friend and the wheels are being made at another shop. Overall I'm super happy with it. I really hope do be riding it by the end of the month. All in all I've sank around 4500 into it so far. I really want to do a custom seat pan since I don't like how the tank and seat lines look but that's gonna have to wait for a bit. Also planning on doing racing cams / replacing all the chrome bits.

Top Bottom