• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2 wheel GAF UNITE!

nico1982

ADL3KBf.jpg

Here are the specs for the bike according to Visordown
Eh, if true they definitely missed their target of 199 kg (440 lbs) empty :/ DCT is the usual 10 kg weight tax.

StuffRuff

Hey BikingGAF, only just spotted this thread.

Currently ride a 1996 Honda VFR750F which I bought for a bargain price after getting rid of my 2003 ZX6R B1H until I can decide on what to buy next.

I'm in a really hard place (first world problems eh?) on what to get. I loved the fun and power of my ZX6R, love the touring part of my VFR750 and really liked the upright adventure style of the R1200GS which I test rode a few months back. So I figure that points me at the sporty on road adventure style bikes (KTM, MTS, Tiger, etc)

At 26 I think I'm still too young for a R1200GS as much as I enjoyed the ride. Don't get me wrong, its more than capable, it would easily keep up with average sports bike riders in the bends but I did find the motor a bit dull and I missed that smack of power from a I4/V4 (some people describe them as really torquey but I didn't really get that). That and I wouldn't hear the end of it from my other biking friends who are still primarily riding sports bikes and sporty nakeds.

So I think I've narrowed my next bike down to either a KTM 990 SMT or a Ducati Multistrada. (A S1000XR would do lovely if I suddenly win the lottery). I also like the Tiger 1050 but it doesn't really excite me like the other two.

The KTM is the slightly cheaper option (~£6500) and I hear nothing but good things but also that they are quite snatchy. You also don't see a lot of them on the roads so it would be a good head turner.

The Ducati is the exotic option but stretching my budget to the limits (~£7500-8000). That bike has nothing but praise in heaps and oft referred to as the 'perfect allrounder'. I also figure if I'm spending 6.5k on the KTM why not an extra 1k for the Ducati and all its extra gadgets and wizardry.

Now I just need to go and test ride them and then convince my other half to actually go through it ("yes darling I really do need to spend that much on a bike!").

If anyone has advice/personal recommendations feel free. Otherwise this has just been a vent! There's just too much damn choice in the world....

Flo_Evans

I think DCT would be a deal breaker for "true" off road, but lets be honest most big adventure bikes rarely see anything that technical where slipping the clutch is actually required...

edit: they just rolled a S1000 XR out of the crate at the BMW dealer... I think this bike will do well. Can't wait till they have a demo ready :)

Hey BikingGAF, only just spotted this thread.

If anyone has advice/personal recommendations feel free. Otherwise this has just been a vent! There's just too much damn choice in the world....

Both brands have their own idiosyncrasies... honestly I would go with whatever has better dealer support in your area. KTM parts are hard to come by here, and the big Ducati dealer is kind of a dick.

I think DCT would be a deal breaker for "true" off road, but lets be honest most big adventure bikes rarely see anything that technical where slipping the clutch is actually required...

edit: they just rolled a S1000 XR out of the crate at the BMW dealer... I think this bike will do well. Can't wait till they have a demo ready :)

Both brands have their own idiosyncrasies... honestly I would go with whatever has better dealer support in your area. KTM parts are hard to come by here, and the big Ducati dealer is kind of a dick.

Agreed.... what dealer is the closest and gives you the best deal. I would have loved to have a touno but I only have a dealer 2 hours away. Also buys something you like the look of as it needs to make you feel good. Also go and test ride the lot and then put your money down. The dealers need to work for you not the other way around

Was at my local Kawasaki Dealership to talk about the Vulcan S. The Only one they had in was away for the weekend to a show!

The PCP deal they had (£915 deposit, £89 a month for 24 months and a final payment of £2300 - I forgot exact amount and left info in car) was very tempting, of course I don't have a full licence yet.

Thing is they had the Ninja Z300 for £225 deposit and 24months of £95. I really want a Vulcan S but part of me thinks this could be a better option, as once I've priced up helmet etc that would really eat in to any savings before I even get a bike.

Has anyone been able to haggle riding gear for free or a good discount when buying a new bike?

Looking up the essentials for riding (Shoes, Gloves, Jacket and Jeans) I'm at £400 excluding a helmet, I like the Shark Raw at £200. I don't fancy getting a helmet for £50 because I really want to be protected and don't trust them

Personally I think it suffers from a curse, a curse Yamaha has placed on their triples to look like complete ass. I've ridden both FZ09 and FJ09 and they were amazing, but they look like a donkey.

I'm with you on the standard version, but the Tracer, that I actually kind of like. No worse than any of the other dual sports and it channels what I like about some of the old Fazers.

Dougald

Was at my local Kawasaki Dealership to talk about the Vulcan S. The Only one they had in was away for the weekend to a show!

The PCP deal they had (£915 deposit, £89 a month for 24 months and a final payment of £2300 - I forgot exact amount and left info in car) was very tempting, of course I don't have a full licence yet.

Thing is they had the Ninja Z300 for £225 deposit and 24months of £95. I really want a Vulcan S but part of me thinks this could be a better option, as once I've priced up helmet etc that would really eat in to any savings before I even get a bike.

Has anyone been able to haggle riding gear for free or a good discount when buying a new bike?

Looking up the essentials for riding (Shoes, Gloves, Jacket and Jeans) I'm at £400 excluding a helmet, I like the Shark Raw at £200. I don't fancy getting a helmet for £50 because I really want to be protected and don't trust them

Being as you're in the UK and I assume going for a full A license, I honestly wouldn't want to be sat on a Ninja 300 for 2 years, you'll get bored... Especially as you'll be taking your test on something with at least twice as much displacement (unless you're going for an A2). Any reason you're not looking at a used bike, seeing as you are likely to comically drop it on the driveway at some point? PCP is definitely a good way to go if you want a new bike every 2 years, and want a fixed monthly cost, but I personally prefer to own

I would not buy the Shark Raw for safety, as it's an open-face helmet and the "chinbar" is cosmetic only. If you must have the goggle look, take a gander at the Shark Vancore, which is homologated as a full-face lid. On safety, all full face helmets in the EU have to reach a certain standard - take a look at the Sharp website, you'll be surprised how well cheap helmets perform. Personally I have a Shoei GT-Air but that's mostly out of comfort, that's what you're really paying for IMO. Once you buy an expensive lid you'll never go back in terms of fit. HJC make some great full-face helmets at the £100-200 mark, I advise you to buy white or another bright colour if safety is your concern.

StuffRuff

Being as you're in the UK and I assume going for a full A license, I honestly wouldn't want to be sat on a Ninja 300 for 2 years, you'll get bored... Especially as you'll be taking your test on something with at least twice as much displacement (unless you're going for an A2). Any reason you're not looking at a used bike, seeing as you are likely to comically drop it on the driveway at some point? PCP is definitely a good way to go if you want a new bike every 2 years, and want a fixed monthly cost, but I personally prefer to own

I wish I could stomach going for a PCP deal. I love the idea of a new bike every two years but dont love the idea of basically renting a bike.

Dougald

I wish I could stomach going for a PCP deal. I love the idea of a new bike every two years but dont love the idea of basically renting a bike.

Different strokes. Like you, I prefer to own my bike outright and have less committed monthly outgoings, so if something did come up I'd just have to live with my bike a bit longer rather than sell it/risk losing it if I can't make payments. That being said I can totally understand the appeal if you buy a bike every few years anyway, it's a fixed, low-ish monthly cost for a new bike.

MCN had a feature on PCP last week and it seems like its partially responsible for the massive upturn in new bike sales in the UK in recent years. If its getting more people on two wheels (and they can afford it), then it's great

Different strokes. Like you, I prefer to own my bike outright and have less committed monthly outgoings, so if something did come up I'd just have to live with my bike a bit longer rather than sell it/risk losing it if I can't make payments. That being said I can totally understand the appeal if you buy a bike every few years anyway, it's a fixed, low-ish monthly cost for a new bike.

MCN had a feature on PCP last week and it seems like its partially responsible for the massive upturn in new bike sales in the UK in recent years. If its getting more people on two wheels (and they can afford it), then it's great

I would love to own my bike but this is the affordable option for me, and after 2 years I would hopefully have the money to buy it off.

I have always been unsure on PCP the only debt I have is my mortgage and before that it was a sofa. I bought my cars outright through saving but this is one of the only workable solutions. If I was better mechanically et a second hand bike would be viable but I am quite useless.

StuffRuff

Yeah I guess if its generating sales and not putting people in debt they can't afford then its only a good thing.

I'm sure theres also a certain sweet spot with buying used bikes where depreciation, servicing, MOT etc means you may as well have got a PCP deal instead and saved yourself the hassle. Same for cars as well I guess. But whoever comes up with that sweet spot/used vs new vehicle buying guide will be a very popular man.

Dougald

If I was better mechanically et a second hand bike would be viable but I am quite useless.

Well, if you ever wanted to start learning, a bike is the easiest way! I was also useless when I started. No shame in not wanting to twirl spanners though, like I said, everyone has different priorities!

Myself if I was buying brand new I probably would go for PCP unless I knew I wanted to keep the bike a long time, or there was a manufacturer 0% deal, it's more flexible.

Passed my MSF course, there were some ladies there who should really practice before they hit the streets. I'm actually worried about one who ended up passing. Anyway, license in hand, gonna buy a 250 manana!

Anyone have horror stories from craigslist? I was thinking of going that route but theres a dealer that has a ninja 250 1K miles for $3K that i figured i'd grab

Jackson

Passed my MSF course, there were some ladies there who should really practice before they hit the streets. I'm actually worried about one who ended up passing.

'Murcia.

Land of the free, home of the just because you can doesn't mean you should. I really like the way the EU handles motorcycle licensing based on age/engine size better.

Also... Congrats! Always be a defensive rider, because it doesn't matter if the other person was at fault if you're dead.

senahorse

Weekends are great :)

xawm5NUnsC2SUbJnfm3ltRXofqEhcZPbWNEJbjjvV7c=w1274-h956-no

Lovely weather here in Brisbane, Australia. It's the middle of winter and today had a low of 16C (61F), what are riding seasons? :p

yeah, i was beyond useless with mechanical (read: non electrical) tools before i started riding. now i can quickly change tires/wheels and do all mods myself, as well as routine service. still strip bolts (because i'm not patient) and crack clips from time to time, but, y'know.

valve clearance checks? still pay for that shiz.

probably gonna get a victory gunner here as a (lol) third bike, unless i can find a low mileage 2013 burnt orange judge in the area. also considering the vulcan s

Can you all help me with purchasing advice?

I'm looking at two Honda CBR 250r's.

Bike 1 is a 2012 with 1,200 miles for $3,299 from a dealer. They've indicated that the bike has a perfect history and has passed all inspections.

Bike 2 is a 2012 with 4,200 miles for $2,950 from a private seller. This one comes with a cover, throw over saddle bags, and chain maintenance items. It has passed the state inspection. Based on conversations with the seller, it has been well maintained.

I really like the bike with lower miles because its from a dealership with a very good reputation, one that they have to uphold. On the other hand, that price is probably going to creep up to $4,000. I guess I could haggle down to $3,500, but that is me literally just guessing.

But I also like Bike 2 because it comes with extra items, and the price is exactly what is stated. But, I'm a beginner, and I can't look at a used bike and tell you what needs work. The buyer has said that he can provide maintenance records, but I'm 60 miles away, so when I asked if my mechanic could take a look, he said he doesn't want to drive all the way up just for that, especially since he's gotten it inspected yearly. None of my biker friends are available right now to help.

I can afford both in cash, but why spend more than you have to? Based on this limited information, what bike would you go for? Or, what info would you ask for?

Damaged

Yep. One of these thingies. The straps are all elastic, so it is a lot easier to get on over my jacket than I expected it to be, but it tangles easily when you are not wearing it.

Actually just gave my chest mount a quick try tonight, seem to be having problems with it flopping down at high speed but will give it another try after adjusting it. This was with a Hero 3 Silver though. Bike is my usual Aprilia Dorsoduro Factory, left the engine map in touring though as Im on a fresh rear tyre and the roads were a bit damp.

Obviously this was all done on private, closed roads.. *ahem*

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mK8TtqTRRgM&feature=youtu.be

Dougald

See, I'm going to go the other way and say buy privately. Both bikes have silly small miles, and unless I know a dealer is decent I've always had better luck buying privately. The private bike is literally a year old so as long as its had its initial services and hasn't clearly been dropped, I can't see what is likely to go wrong.

See, I'm going to go the other way and say buy privately. Both bikes have silly small miles, and unless I know a dealer is decent I've always had better luck buying privately. The private bike is literally a year old so as long as its had its initial services and hasn't clearly been dropped, I can't see what is likely to go wrong.

Exactly, a bike that young... Nearly impossible to go wrong.

Also, buying from a dealer is no guarantee you're not going to get burned. And work under warranty (if warranty is what you're interested in) is nearly always done after hours, by the intern, if it is done at all. I'd much rather save some money, money I can later pay to a mechanic I trust to actually do the job and do it well.

If the owner of bike 2 can tell you what has been done in terms of maintenance (with bills or pictures of maintenance in progress or a well stocked garage that is indicative of the man's own skill), you should be good. Not that a 4200 mile bike would need to have a lot of maintenance done in the first place. Depending on the service intervals, the first oil change should be more than a couple thousand miles away.

Dougald

According to the internet, a 250R has an initial oil service at 600 miles, and another service at 4k (which seems to just be checks, no oil change). I'm sure that it will have had that break-in service. Oil only needs changing every 8000 miles/12 months

Actually just gave my chest mount a quick try tonight, seem to be having problems with it flopping down at high speed but will give it another try after adjusting it. This was with a Hero 3 Silver though. Bike is my usual Aprilia Dorsoduro Factory, left the engine map in touring though as Im on a fresh rear tyre and the roads were a bit damp.

Obviously this was all done on private, closed roads.. *ahem*

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mK8TtqTRRgM&feature=youtu.be

Allot of guys have been using the chin mount. I would have loved it but my helmet does not have a long enough flat spot to mount. The nice thing about the chin mount is that you get the stabilisation from your head and a nice clear view of the road

What problems have you had with dealers in the past?

And I made a typo, both bikes are actually 2012!

Damaged

Allot of guys have been using the chin mount. I would have loved it but my helmet does not have a long enough flat spot to mount. The nice thing about the chin mount is that you get the stabilisation from your head and a nice clear view of the road

See I'm really unsure of mounting anything on a helmet, all I can see is a massive potential pressure spot in the event of an off. I know the chest mount isn't any better really but it doesn't worry me as much for some reason.

Dougald

What problems have you had with dealers in the past?

And I made a typo, both bikes are actually 2012!

Most of my problems have really been with car dealers, so I tend to lump them all into one bracket (apart from my local Triumph dealer who are very good). I very rarely am able to buy at a dealer without feeling I'm getting ripped off in some way either

I've bought 3 bikes privately and maybe I'm lucky, but because the seller tends to be a hobbyist they tend to come across a lot more honest. Not that I wouldn't buy from a dealer (I did for my last bike), but they only care about the sale and have no real emotional investment in the bike.

...you also have to bear in mind that myself and Fallout (okay, mostly the Buell-owning Fallout) tend to do a lot of work on our own bikes, so might feel a bit more comfortable without a warranty.

Top Bottom