• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2 wheel GAF UNITE!

MutFox

Banned
An exhaust is the only must have for that beautiful bike to shine through. Good buy, it's way better looking than the FZ-09, congrats! Show us some pics when you got it all sorted!

Hehe, yeah, I have a few things I wanna do.
A few cosmetic and eventually the suspension and exhaust. :)

Grats on the bike... photos photos photos

Here she is:
DSC_0014_zpshwwzqbmx.jpg

Went for a ride up a twisty mountain today. :p

Dougald

Went for a ride up a twisty mountain today. :p

I was confused for a minute until I remembered that the MT series are FZ in the USA. I really do think all of them are great looking bikes, and the 07 is phenomenally good value. The 09 is a serious Street Triple killer, Triumph will be in trouble if they don't respond

MutFox

Banned
Get a fly screen :p

Probably gonna be my 1st accessory,
then maybe some different mirrors. :)

Nice panorama. Where's that place?

It's Vancouver BC, Canada.
To the left of the trees you can see the city and the Lionsgate Bridge. :p
I was up Cypress Mountain on the North Shore.
(Road up Seymour Mountain today.)

I was confused for a minute until I remembered that the MT series are FZ in the USA. I really do think all of them are great looking bikes, and the 07 is phenomenally good value. The 09 is a serious Street Triple killer, Triumph will be in trouble if they don't respond

While looking for a fly screen, saw this customized FZ-09
Really like that styling.

That same fly screen attaches to the FZ-07.
Think I might get it. :p

Dougald

I was just reading about this. The tank looks funky, but the real good news is the supposed 1100cc range topping version, as well as the twin front discs - fixes both of the main gripes I had with mine

Anybody know good resources for deals on bikes outside of cycletrader/ebay? Looking for a used pre-2006 v-strom for under 4k and it seems like options are pretty limited everywhere.

Duderz

Banned
I dig the new Bonneville tank, but the name really should be Speed Twin - and not Street Tracker. Nothing about that bike is reminiscent of a street tracker.

Also, shame about the liquid cooled engine, but so it goes.

Anybody know good resources for deals on bikes outside of cycletrader/ebay? Looking for a used pre-2006 v-strom for under 4k and it seems like options are pretty limited everywhere.

Craigslist? Also check ADVrider, sometimes you can get a good deal there if you're in the right area.

I don't remember if anyone here is in or around LA but i'll be hitting this next month. Last years was a ton of fun and I recommend it to anyone. Booze, bikes, bbq and camping. What more could you ask for. Plus it's only $37!

Duderz

Banned
I don't remember if anyone here is in or around LA but i'll be hitting this next month. Last years was a ton of fun and I recommend it to anyone. Booze, bikes, bbq and camping. What more could you ask for. Plus it's only $37!

I went to last year's event - Hwy 33 is absolutely sublime. My only complaint is that I should've brought ear plugs. I'm missing this year unfortunately due to a wedding.

the ENGINE kills the trumpet's mill, but the rest of the bike? waaaayyy too budget. you're looking at $2.5k to $3k to get it up to a solid spec. (and the ride-by-wire is still choppy-nasty, even after the oem reflash.) even now, the u.s. mags are admitting the striple -- especially the "r" -- is a far better sorted bike.

Watevaman

ha ha. my last ticket was ~95 in a 45. :-( still not ballsy enough for a proper performance award.

That didn't get your license revoked? I'm always cautious as hell when I know I'm going to be approaching triple digits. As much as I say I wouldn't, I can't say the thought of running hasn't crossed my mind.

Dougald

The police tend to take a dim approach to anything in triple digits here... I have read of bikers getting 12 month sentences, but losing your license is probably a given

That's what I tell myself when I'm stubbornly pottering around at the speed limit anyway.

Flo_Evans

Most cops here will pull you over, check you have a license and then tell you to slow down.

The only time I have actually got written up was with female officers... this one wasn't having any excuses. License/insurance here is your ticket have a nice night. =/

I've only been pulled over once on my bike. Going 103 on the freeway. The cop asked me if I wanted to die I could find a better way of going about it and let me go. I was shitting bricks about the ticket I was about to get. Pretty weird that he just told me to not ride like an idiot and left it at that.

Flo_Evans

Finally got around to swapping out my variator weights

I swapped 3 of 6 12g weights for 11g, made a noticeable difference in acceleration and maybe losing a few mph top end.

Then like an idiot I was power sliding it on grass and dumped it cracking the fairing and busting off a reflector. Then being a further idiot I tried removing the fairing and totally screwed it. >_<

Now it looks like this...

If you guys have a speed problem, ride a Harley. I've only ever gotten to 90 once and she felt awful. I wouldn't dare sustain anything near triple digits. I rarely break 70 in the city except when passing on the freeway. 65 is the sweet spot on the freeway here.

Well, sounds like you had a good time at least, Flo :p

Had some stuff done to the Ulysses yesterday. The guys over at my local Buell shop had replaced my wheel bearings, but one started clicking again. They fixed it free of charge, which was nice. In addition they came across a set of original Buell cases for the Ulysses and asked me whether I was interested, which I was, so they kept them for me. They were also going to install a Torque Hammer exhaust to better unleash the bike's potential in terms of power. Here is the result:

uly2ylpyb.jpg

uly1flo1t.jpg

The yellow plastic is new (to me) as well. Some guy sold his bike and had kept these parts to sell separately for a little extra cash (his buyer didn't like yellow apparently). Was looking for a yellow set, so that was a nice coincidence.

Well, sounds like you had a good time at least, Flo :p

Had some stuff done to the Ulysses yesterday. The guys over at my local Buell shop had replaced my wheel bearings, but one started clicking again. They fixed it free of charge, which was nice. In addition they came across a set of original Buell cases for the Ulysses and asked me whether I was interested, which I was, so they kept them for me. They were also going to install a Torque Hammer exhaust to better unleash the bike's potential in terms of power. Here is the result:

uly2ylpyb.jpg

uly1flo1t.jpg

The yellow plastic is new (to me) as well. Some guy sold his bike and had kept these parts to sell separately for a little extra cash (his buyer didn't like yellow apparently). Was looking for a yellow set, so that was a nice coincidence.

That pipe at the bottom must make a very nice sound.

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
Finally got around to swapping out my variator weights

I swapped 3 of 6 12g weights for 11g, made a noticeable difference in acceleration and maybe losing a few mph top end.

Then like an idiot I was power sliding it on grass and dumped it cracking the fairing and busting off a reflector. Then being a further idiot I tried removing the fairing and totally screwed it. >_<

Now it looks like this...

I still haven't swapped in my new variator and Kevlar belt in the ruckus. And after I do, I also hope to achieve giddy velocities like 47mph...

Flo_Evans

Man, rode the G650x to work today instead of the scoot. It feels like a freakin rocketship! Amazing what you can do with 525 extra CCs. Imagine if I had more than 1 cylinder! :p

edit: new page needs pics...

2WpGo8h.jpg

My dads ride. Not sure if he will ever get back on it, suffered a pretty major stroke and lost the use of his right arm and leg. I told my mom she should probably sell it to to pay bills but she wants to keep it around so he has a goal to work towards. Probably unrealistic but I can't really argue.

Hope things can work out with your dad, Flo.

I met a guy a couple years ago at one of the popular lookout areas motorcycles (and cars) will stop at who had a newer FJR. We talked bikes a bit - he had just gotten it recently. He's one of those types who was on a bike most of his life. He'd had a stroke but recovered and said he was riding as much as he could because he wasn't sure how much longer he'd be able to ride. It made me sad inside, but at the same time it was inspiring in a way to see him fight to keep at it.

Top Bottom