• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2 wheel GAF UNITE!

Gorgeous Drinky! The B motors in the Harley softails rob them of any midrange power. Gotta drop a more aggressive cam in them to get them decent.

Out of curiosity did you test ride any of the softails with the 110 CI?

nope. i like the characteristics of non-counterbalanced "A" motor better in the dyna platform. i did ride the fat bob with a stage 1 kit -- pipes and airbox -- and while i liked the essential character (and dat paint, drool), it didn't punch crazy off the line like i wanted. it just felt too sedate and a little unbalanced, weight-wise. wonderful bike, regardless.

How many bikes are you up to now drinky? I feel like I would have more if it weren't for these meddling kids!

Loading up for GS trophy...
fa5aNwF.jpg

"just" 3: the tiger 800xc (greatest bike of all time), the t-bird storm, and the scarabeo 500 scoot.

when we get a bigger garage, i'll, ah, negotiate a proper dual sport and/or a track bike.

izzat the xchallenge 650gs?

man, the balance and handling on the storm is unreal. i can dance this thing around in parking lots, scraping feelers, at 1-5 mph like the bike weighs HALF of its 750 lbs. the veefer at 525 lbs (front biased) and with shitty steering lock took a LOT more work at low speeds.

binders are crazy good, too. front has actual BITE.

what's with the hate for water-cooling? harley bro at work liked the bike, but bitched about it (and rushmore harleys) being water-cooled. i mean, i understand how it can be annoying on a big v-twin: a lot of heat builds up around the rear cylinder which the fans dump on your legs. but on a big stonkin' parallel twin? no heat issues, and the reliability in hot weather plus the perf gains make it great.

maybe some folks just hate worrying about the radiator and coolant lines?

Flo_Evans

There is something sexy about air cooled... Idk less clutter - more "pure"

Also - day 1 in the bag, pretty easy day waypoint nav scavenger hunt. Tomorrow shit gets real with points scored obstacles

XQVhYeQ.jpg

And yes drinky it is a g650 xchallenge :)

Flo_Evans

Well today was rough. I was in 5th spot at lunch but they made the obstacles harder for the afternoon session and I dropped down to 7th, one spot from moving on to next round tommorow.

:(

I did bite it pretty hard over the log obstacles (lucky I didn't break my neck..) so I am probably not going to be in the mood for riding tommorow anyway. :p

I am glad I tried (and wasn't dead last) but it looks like I am going to have to buy my plane ticket to Thailand.

get some rest and don't dwell on perceived failure -- that'll just hold you back. remind yourself you're doin' shit the rest of here ain't doin', and you're doing it well. keep it up! BELIEVE IN DRINKY WHO BELIEVES IN YOU!

me, i'm going to the anacortes oyster run tomorrow, which is like the pnw's mini-sturgis. it is the two-wheeled opposite of what you're doing. people there break their necks rolling drunkenly into curbs or falling off the back of their fake-patch potbelly boyfriend's wide glide in a heroin fugue.

you, my friend, are REAL MOTORCYCLIN'.

LOVE this pic. LOVE IT.

Hey, thanks man.

Well today was rough. I was in 5th spot at lunch but they made the obstacles harder for the afternoon session and I dropped down to 7th, one spot from moving on to next round tommorow.

:(

I did bite it pretty hard over the log obstacles (lucky I didn't break my neck..) so I am probably not going to be in the mood for riding tommorow anyway. :p

I am glad I tried (and wasn't dead last) but it looks like I am going to have to buy my plane ticket to Thailand.

Yeah, what Drinky said, you're doing us proud. Hang in there :D.

I am seriously thinking about trading my road King in for a 2016 Road Glide Ultra in superior blue. Someone talk me out of it please.

753618942b.jpg

I have music in my helmet and my wife barely rides with me!

But cruising with a real radio, nav, water cooled heads and a fairing for longer trips just sounds so good.

I am seriously thinking about trading my road King in for a 2016 Road Glide Ultra in superior blue. Someone talk me out of it please.

753618942b.jpg

But cruising with a real radio, nav, water cooled heads and a fairing for longer trips just sounds so good.

Do it man, you only live once haha

Dougald

753618942b.jpg

It's huge but it *is* a Harley... I don't think you'll find any of us talking you out of it... Personally the touring Harley's are my favourite so if you would get use out of it then go for it! I love the panniers

Flo_Evans

Good news - my brothers husky has been recovered :)

m7tZt1v.jpg

What a moron. Guy posted the number in the listing on his public Facebook page. We let the cops take it from there... Although for awhile we thought about having 20 or so heavily armed BMW guys show up at this guys house.

Im glad he got it back and the thief is going to get some justice!

Do it man, you only live once haha

It's huge but it *is* a Harley... I don't think you'll find any of us talking you out of it... Personally the touring Harley's are my favourite so if you would get use out of it then go for it! I love the panniers
Thanks guys. I think I'll drop by the dealer Tuesday after work haha. It will definitely get some use since my bike is my primary transportation and in a month my 80 mile daily commute (round trip) turns into a 100 mile trip year round.

And I told my wife in the long run it saves us money! Here in Houston the toll road puts the ez tag on your license and with the tour paks they aren't read by the sensor. A little sleazy but its not my fault! Having a warranty on a notoriously fickle vehicle is also a plus

Dougald

Good news - my brothers husky has been recovered :)

What a moron. Guy posted the number in the listing on his public Facebook page. We let the cops take it from there... Although for awhile we thought about having 20 or so heavily armed BMW guys show up at this guys house.

Dumbass. Hopefully the insurance will cover the result of his little outing on the bike. I don't know how he could have worded that ad to make it look stolen any more than he already did, except maybe "FOR SALE BIKE I NICKED"

Lucky for your brother it was an idiot joyrider and not someone who immediately broke it down for parts

Flo_Evans

quick cut of some of my gopro and other footage of me at the qualifier.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OeyxlLseY9Q

Somehow I didn't manage to get any footage of me doing any obstacles clean or my best crash, lots of "had to lay her down" in there for you though! :p

Surprising after all that I did not manage to damage my bike as much as dumb ass theif guy that stole my brothers. Based on how sore I am today I hope he is in significant pain.

Flo_Evans

Now imagine people doing that on a 1200gs...

Have to give props to the guy that won, he was a hell of a rider. The local BMW shop head mechanic was 2nd overall.

I probably should have done some serious physical training and riding practice riding to prepare (and not gotten wasted around the campfire...) but oh well. Good times :p

We captured tons of awesome footage but we have to wait for them to edit all 3 qualifiers together to release it.

Great video Flo, love the cigarette :p

Man, that bike can take some abuse.

Looks like they threw some pretty technical stuff at you guys.

/edit: and yeah, I cannot imagine doing this on a dual sport. Did anyone manage to do it?

Flo_Evans

Great video Flo, love the cigarette :p

Man, that bike can take some abuse.

Looks like they threw some pretty technical stuff at you guys.

/edit: and yeah, I cannot imagine doing this on a dual sport. Did anyone manage to do it?

Supposedly the BMW performance center instructor cleared the dry creek without a foot dab... I think the guy that won did it without dropping the bike but still got points off for touching.

Day 3 they made it even tougher and no one got away without at least a foot down on every event that I saw.

It was pretty interesting having to follow lines that are not really optimal and being scored trials style but idk if I would do it again, it's sort of anti dual sport to have to stay in the lines :p

Tires in. Went with a Metzeler Karoo after reading what seemed like every review on dual sport tires.

From what I have read these are pretty good on road but not the best off, you are building a scrambler though right?

Makki

Not having the luck of Flo_Evans, I've decided to set a budget of 1500 bucks or less and find me a nice beater bike that is less desirable than my neighbors (his CBR 600RR is still out there).

I have found me a ZRX1100 that I will be looking at friday so I can start riding again and not worry about the 20 days I have to wait for my bike to not be found. If it checks out and I do buy it I am swapping the headlight to a round one almost immediately.

Watevaman

Not having the luck of Flo_Evans, I've decided to set a budget of 1500 bucks or less and find me a nice beater bike that is less desirable than my neighbors (his CBR 600RR is still out there).

I have found me a ZRX1100 that I will be looking at friday so I can start riding again and not worry about the 20 days I have to wait for my bike to not be found. If it checks out and I do buy it I am swapping the headlight to a round one almost immediately.

I liked your second paragraph until the last statement....

JK, I'd sell you my ZRX if you lived by me. I honestly don't know if I want to keep the thing, been in a supermoto mood as of late.

Makki

I liked your second paragraph until the last statement....

JK, I'd sell you my ZRX if you lived by me. I honestly don't know if I want to keep the thing, been in a supermoto mood as of late.

I would rather buy yours since its green lol. Would have been funny if you were in Florida. I considered supermotos but the cheapest ones were 4 grand minimum. If Suzuki did a 400SM refresh with F.I. I would run to buy new once my R6 insurance money comes in.

Gotta side with Watevaman here, that square headlight is awesome. Messing around with headlights and the original design is almost never an improvement unless you're a pro with a vision.

Still, a classic round headlight is definitely the next best thing for that bike:

So

ill_allow_it_communit7osgt.gif

BubbaMc

753618942b.jpg

Do it!

If I were to buy a Harley it'd either be a Nightrod or that.

Watevaman

I may be out of line, but I can't imagine spending $13k on something that I would plan on dropping/getting beat to shit. Hell, I would probably put an upper limit around $3k for something I'd purposely take off-road.

Flo_Evans

No one plans on dropping it :p

BMW and KTM are all priced closer to $20k... These bikes are meant more for "adventure travel" and "all road" vs. true dirt bikes that you are really going to abuse. The idea is that it is capable of pretty much anything, not that you seriously go out and ride single track every weekend.

Flo_Evans

Nice work!

Heading out to a scooter rally ride this weekend myself. Finally got new plastics but I think I am going to wait to put them on there is talk of a "Gymkhana" and "obstacle course" ....

Do it!

If I were to buy a Harley it'd either be a Nightrod or that.
I went to some dealers but they were all only willing to deal on their 2015's. They wanted MSRP + about 1500 in fees for the 2016. So I'll wait another year and go back to the same dealers when they're desperate to unload their 2016 bikes.

Has anyone tried Sedici Hotwired gear? I'm looking at the gloves but my only concern is that they're not waterproof. Can anyone recommend waterproof and heated gloves?

Scooter people are crazy... :p will update with some pics later but I think my video card is fried.

This guy was so Vespa it hurt.

when yer onna scooter you got a lot to prove. i dragged a friend's nc700x dct with the supah-scabby 500 and walked away from it up to 60. (roundabout 75ish he caught up but we were neck-and-neck for a bit. his powerband kicks in from 50-70 and both of us started to drain at 90.)

street triple r crushed me :-(

Dougald

I went to some dealers but they were all only willing to deal on their 2015's. They wanted MSRP + about 1500 in fees for the 2016. So I'll wait another year and go back to the same dealers when they're desperate to unload their 2016 bikes.

Has anyone tried Sedici Hotwired gear? I'm looking at the gloves but my only concern is that they're not waterproof. Can anyone recommend waterproof and heated gloves?

I have keis heated under gloves which work well. You can then wear whatever waterproof bike gloves you like over the top

Top Bottom