• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2 wheel GAF UNITE!

Dougald

Now we need a video to hear what that scoot sounds like! I imagine it sounds a whole lot better than the de-baffled mopeds all the kids ride round here.

Couple of shots left over from my vacation to Corsica. Hadn't gotten around to pulling em off my camera yet.

img_38028hsge.jpg

img_3809kqs7w.jpg

img_3816essuy.jpg

img_3782r3smf.jpg

Yeah, makes the bike a lot more pronounced. Glad you like it :D.

/edit: also, holy shit you guys, 'Hitting the Apex', that new documentary on the MotoGP is pretty fucking phenomenal. Make sure you see it!

Watevaman

Question for those of you that have wrecked: did you find your post-wreck riding to be different (less cautious, more cautious) than your riding style before you wrecked?

I'm curious, because I think my two little lowsides have really made me a more cautious rider for the worse. It may just be the ZRX being a heavier bike, too, but no matter what, I can't get back into riding how I did on the GS500. I find myself target fixating a lot more, because I'm on the lookout at every turn for something loose on the road, and I also am nowhere near as smooth as I was on the GS. It's at the point where I'm not enjoying roads I used to love because I always feel like something's gonna go wrong.

Flo_Evans

I'm always a little more cautious after a get off, but I find I get back to pace pretty quick. Most of my "crashes" have been extremely low speed goofy things though... I've never had a high speed crash or any significant injury/damage other than cosmetic and or embarrassment.

I've even told myself to slow down and try and ride leisurely... IDK what it is but my hooligan side is strong. I always end up opening the taps and riding aggressively. I find it easier to focus on riding when going fast. It's when you are putting along I get distracted looking at scenery, thinking about other things.

To me riding a bike is amazing therapy... if it made me more anxious the whole time I would probably stop.

Having said that a bigger bike is not always the solution. If you prefer the light weight and easy handling of a smaller bike don't feel like you need a 100hp monster. There seems to be a lot of "upgrade" culture around bikes, I say ride whatever puts a smile on your face. A big heavy bike has its place, but small bikes are fun as hell too :)

Other than my harley I've wrecked on every bike I've had. Worst being a low side at 45 when I was learning on a drz. I got up and checked the bike and hopped back on. I always told myself I wouldn't get shaken up by it because I feel like that would make it worse later on. I've had a handful of spills here and there but the love of riding keeps me from ever quitting.

Dougald

There seems to be a lot of "upgrade" culture around bikes, I say ride whatever puts a smile on your face. A big heavy bike has its place, but small bikes are fun as hell too :)

There is something to that. It's not so bad in itself, but a lot of people end up discounting great rides because they're a "downgrade" in engine size from what they currently have. I had someone tell me they loved my Street Triple but would never get anything under 1000cc, even though the Speed Triple is almost a worse bike as it stands right now.

Flo_Evans

I've had tons of people question why I would get a scooter when I already have a "real" motorcycle (even some people don't consider anything but a hog "real") My response: "because I can"

Another rider told me a funny anecdote, someone asked him why he got a 250 dirt bike, he said cause they where sold out of 125s :p

Yeah, I'm totally adding a Honda Grom or a classic Dax (if I can get my hands on one) to the collection somewhere in the next few years. (When speaking of 125s).

I always end up opening the taps and riding aggressively. I find it easier to focus on riding when going fast. It's when you are putting along I get distracted looking at scenery, thinking about other things.

This is very true.

There is something to that. It's not so bad in itself, but a lot of people end up discounting great rides because they're a "downgrade" in engine size from what they currently have. I had someone tell me they loved my Street Triple but would never get anything under 1000cc, even though the Speed Triple is almost a worse bike as it stands right now.

I see your point, but 'worse' is not a term I would ever use to describe the amazing Speed Triple :p. Maybe 'slightly less incredible'.

Just a little over a month...(taken today)

20880576903_4c73c2bf7e_b.jpg

At least I have been told I can stop using the sling (unless I need to wear it to "remind" myself not to use my left arm to lift heavy stuff...I think I got it)

Also, I guess when they said "stayed in place", what they really meant is it wasn't some crazy compound fracture or whatever. I guess the shock trauma people are probably used to seeing much worse.

I've had tons of people question why I would get a scooter when I already have a "real" motorcycle (even some people don't consider anything but a hog "real") My response: "because I can"

Another rider told me a funny anecdote, someone asked him why he got a 250 dirt bike, he said cause they where sold out of 125s :p

scooters are insane fun. they have a bad rep due to the chinese 49cc "liquorcycle" crowd (people with suspended licenses due to dui buy 'em, ride 'em drunk. i suspect there are MORE of these types of scoot riders in urban areas than aficionadoes). but if you live in the city or the 'burbs, omg are they fun to twist and crank and lean and thrash around with.

i ALSO kinda want an aprilia sr50 two-stroker. local shop has 'em on sale for under $2k, and they're normally $3.5k. they'd be MAD parking lot fun. MAD. wife traded her pcx DOWN for a ruck because she likes life at 50cc better. i wish she'd let me mod it... :-(

Going to be getting another opinion on that X-ray...

A scientist friend of mine (actually the one who was riding in front of me when the accident happened...) was appalled by the X-ray and said I absolutely should have surgery. Also, when my general doctor saw the X-ray he was "displeased". This shitshow could be going on much longer...I imagine if I have surgery it will prolong my recovery time by a decent amount. On the other hand if my function will be much better, I guess I'll go for it. I haven't had hardware installed in me yet, but maybe it's time.

Yeah, I was wondering actually - having just seen a couple of broken collar bones in that Hitting the Apex documentary - why the hell they don't go in there and just rivet that thing back together?

If anything it will decrease your recovery time. Thing looks fucked up and painful right now :(. I would most definitely have someone else take a look at it.

Flo_Evans

Yikes ! I'm hoping the weird distortion correction is making it look closer than he is.

Looks like my plastics are back ordered but I got my dual headlight mod cable in. for some reason (probably battery drain) only one headlight is active at a time on the Zuma. Now both are on at the same time! Just have to wait for nightfall...

Makki

My new R6 was just stolen yesterday from the parking lot. Had it for a whole 2 months AAAAND it was taken on my birthday lol.... fuck. At least it was insured but it fucking sucks.

No motorcycles for me until I rent a garage or move.

Dougald

I'm sorry to hear that. At least you'll get money from the insurance, but we all know there's more to your bike than monetary value

Makki

Going to be getting another opinion on that X-ray...

A scientist friend of mine (actually the one who was riding in front of me when the accident happened...) was appalled by the X-ray and said I absolutely should have surgery. Also, when my general doctor saw the X-ray he was "displeased". This shitshow could be going on much longer...I imagine if I have surgery it will prolong my recovery time by a decent amount. On the other hand if my function will be much better, I guess I'll go for it. I haven't had hardware installed in me yet, but maybe it's time.

Dude that fracture is not coming together on its own what the fuck.

Dougald said:
I'm sorry to hear that. At least you'll get money from the insurance, but we all know there's more to your bike than monetary value

Yep, I was buying expensive mods since I really loved this bike, a Yoshimura tail delete, proper flush mount LEDs, nice swingarm spools and I had a double bubble Zero Gravity windshield on the way. Fuck thieves man

Dougald

All that money and memories gone. Makes me mad just thinking about it.

Look on the bright side though, you get to start again with something completely different!

Makki

Goddamn, Makki. That's not cool.

Sucks that it's so easy and low risk to just nick someone's fucking motorcycle :(.

As easy as loading it onto a ramp in the back of a truck. Thats what my girlfriend heard at around 3 AM last night while I was down in Orlando. We thought this was a good area so she went back to sleep thinking it was her being paranoid.

I will keep you guys updated as far as how much of a headache the process with State Farm will be. I had an officer come over yesterday and filed the theft claim with State Farm within a couple of hours of me noticing the theft.

MutFox

Banned
So sorry to hear that Makki.
Especially with all the mods. :(

And yeah, dealing with insurance is a bitch. :/
Hope you get compensated well.

Is there any added security other members use here?

Yesterday I had TLC time with the bike. A deep wash abnd dry. I also checked and corrected my tyre pressure. All now spot on.

This morning I did a rain ride to the office. All back to dirt all over. lol

Dougald

ACF-50 is your friend this time of year... Every October I clean the bike thoroughly, coat it liberally in ACF-50, then ride it all winter. Clean the muck off in the spring and there shouldn't be any rust at all.

ACF-50 is your friend this time of year... Every October I clean the bike thoroughly, coat it liberally in ACF-50, then ride it all winter. Clean the muck off in the spring and there shouldn't be any rust at all.

I have a can of that magic stuff. Will have to do another clean. I also need to invest in a one piece over suit as I think that is going to be the best option. My kit is waterproof but its not as good as when I bought it.

My new R6 was just stolen yesterday from the parking lot. Had it for a whole 2 months AAAAND it was taken on my birthday lol.... fuck. At least it was insured but it fucking sucks.

No motorcycles for me until I rent a garage or move.

That sucks, man. Sorry to hear.

Watevaman

Well, no more hard riding of the ZRX until I can get take a look at the valve clearances. There's a very noticeable tick on the left side of the engine and I think it's gotta be either the valves or the cam chain. Shame, I don't have the time (or money tbh) to do the work and I'm moving away from the bike for a couple months so I guess my season is ending pretty soon.

dem buells :drool:

It's been especially fun now that the Uly is fitted with a loud (but not too loud, Doug!) pipe as well. Feels like sitting on top of a low flying P51 mustang. So good.

almost walked out of the local mv shop with a stradale 800. perfect bike for me, but dat lack of reliability... :-(

Part of the charm :D.

That's what I tell myself anyway

Flo_Evans

I *think* they may be contracting my company to shoot video (brother was going to come down regardless to take pics/video for our BMW shop) so I should have some pretty awesome stuff to share.

Assuming I don't die. :p

Good news. I visited a well-respected ortho surgeon/doctor today. I don't need/shouldn't have surgery, and the calls previous doctors have made in my treatment have more or less been good. He said the level of healing I'm at is expected for an X-ray taken at that four weeks mark.

Well I am registered...

wish me luck! Hope I don't kill myself too hard :p

glhf ;)

uh, this may have happened last week

04DiaGW.jpg

2015 triumph t-bird storm. powercommander, bc "hog slayer" shorties (will post a pic here with them on), cat-ectomy. dynos at 95 rwhp, 112 ft. lbs of rear wheel torque OH MY GOD

rode the fat bob before hand. liked the gear indicator, the look, and the early vibes; hated the mid-range gutlessness, stonky steering, and trash suspension. the trumpet has kinda naff suspenders as well, but it's precise and light in the corners despite the extra 50 lbs over the competition AND OMG THE FRONT WHEEL COMES UP ON HEAVY 2ND GEAR ROLLON THAT TORQUE HITS SO HARD

SO HARD

also abs is stock on the trumpet. and it doesn't have the lame boring stock t-bird looks; the front looks like a pissed off fat-ass 2010 speed triple. fit-and-finish and general construction are equal to or better than the fat bob; paint defs is not but oh well. harley is the GOD of oem paint jobs.

here it is without the gross flesh creature:

YCfjkHJ.jpg

also this is why i will never test ride any interesting bike again.

on the other hand, a test ride turned me OFF the stradale 800, so i 'spose there's that in the SAVING ME MONEY AND GUILT department

Makki

ugh someone stole my brothers husky te449 last night >_<

Asses... fucking asses. It's angering to know they probably will get away with it. Im sorry for your bro's loss.

On my end, State Farm finally got back to me and had me answer a questionnaire while being recorded. Lady said she would take into account the stuff I bought for it so cover, tail delete, flushmount signals, swing arm spools and cover will all be taken into account since I have receipts. Bad news is I gotta wait 20 days for the police to try to find it... I very much doubt anything will come of it, we had no witnesses unfortunately.

uh, this may have happened last week

04DiaGW.jpg

2015 triumph t-bird storm. powercommander, bc "hog slayer" shorties (will post a pic here with them on), cat-ectomy. dynos at 95 rwhp, 112 ft. lbs of rear wheel torque OH MY GOD

rode the fat bob before hand. liked the gear indicator, the look, and the early vibes; hated the mid-range gutlessness, stonky steering, and trash suspension. the trumpet has kinda naff suspenders as well, but it's precise and light in the corners despite the extra 50 lbs over the competition AND OMG THE FRONT WHEEL COMES UP ON HEAVY 2ND GEAR ROLLON THAT TORQUE HITS SO HARD

SO HARD

Dude, excellent! Good on ya for picking the Triumph. It does look meaner than most Harley's do. What's the sound like?

ugh someone stole my brothers husky te449 last night >_<

Oh man, that sucks :(.

Asses... fucking asses. It's angering to know they probably will get away with it. Im sorry for your bro's loss.

On my end, State Farm finally got back to me and had me answer a questionnaire while being recorded. Lady said she would take into account the stuff I bought for it so cover, tail delete, flushmount signals, swing arm spools and cover will all be taken into account since I have receipts. Bad news is I gotta wait 20 days for the police to try to find it... I very much doubt anything will come of it, we had no witnesses unfortunately.

Let's hope they don't find it. Unless they did not use it for a couple of joyrides and then left it in a ditch somewhere. Trouble is, that is the only scenario where the police are likely to find it.

getting it pro tuned on saturday. will post a vidja then. and a dyno graph! :-D

i love the "speed triple raped a harley which had a hatebaby" looks of it ;-)

Gorgeous Drinky! The B motors in the Harley softails rob them of any midrange power. Gotta drop a more aggressive cam in them to get them decent.

Out of curiosity did you test ride any of the softails with the 110 CI?

Flo_Evans

How many bikes are you up to now drinky? I feel like I would have more if it weren't for these meddling kids!

Loading up for GS trophy...
fa5aNwF.jpg

Dougald

Way to go Drinky, I thought you were overdue for a new bike! I approve of the choice, I am a fan of the Thunderbird, especially the storm with those twin front lights

i love the "speed triple raped a harley which had a hatebaby" looks of it ;-)

That's probably the best way I've ever heard the T-Bird described

Watevaman

Getting ready to move from my parents' house again, leaving the ZRX and GS here. I just fired up the GS for the first time in almost a year, it's been sitting with stabil'd gas and the battery on a tender. It sounds like crap now, not sure if that's a side effect of the wreck (I only rode it about 3 miles after I wrecked), or the shitty gas. But anyway, I'm gonna drain the gas, then pop it back into storage. I need to just sell the POS...

Top Bottom