• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2 wheel GAF UNITE!

Watevaman

I wonder if anyone's ever done a triple light setup on that. Take a big, round lens and then add smaller lights similar to those as "ears" or something. Big could be low beam and the others could be high or something.

This morning it was warm gloves and under jacket. This weekend I think its time to swap out to the clear visor. Winter is on its way as it was a nice 4 degrees on the bike.

New Speedy:

I like the rounder headlights. That exhaust is a terrible mistake if they end up putting it on the finished model, though

yeah, the front looks mad betta but still not a patch on the iconic round duallies.

the exhaust is still a 3-into-2, right? not so bad if you slap some arrows or akras on it

This morning it was warm gloves and under jacket. This weekend I think its time to swap out to the clear visor. Winter is on its way as it was a nice 4 degrees on the bike.
I ended up buying Sedici heated gloves. I've been wearing my jacket in the morning (not heated) and my hands have been getting a bit cold by the time I get to work.

Third winter with a bike as my daily driver is the charm. 1st year I was not prepared and layered up on regular clothes. 2nd year I bought winter gear but my boots and gloves were not up to the task. I bought new boots Saturday and gloves yesterday so BRING IT ON WINTER!

Dougald

Winter is definitely on the way because my Triumph wouldn't start :(

If it's cold and I leave it off the tender for a week it runs the thing flat. Of course the 20 year old Honda that hasn't moved in a month started up straight away

Makki

If it's cold and I leave it off the tender for a week it runs the thing flat. Of course the 20 year old Honda that hasn't moved in a month started up straight away

What Honda?

And speaking of them, the ZRX sale fell off since the guy sold the thing before I could pick it up, but I did buy something... a 1996 Honda Magna for 1,300 doll hairs:

yK0XkOx.jpg

No one is gonna want to steal this turd and Im gonna open up the exhaust for some sweet V4 noises.

I will get back on sport bikes whenever I can afford a garage.

Watevaman

Dunno if it's the angle, but it looks due for a new front tire to me.

And congrats! Magna's are pretty cool and if I remember right, you can get some good power from them.

Dougald

What Honda?

My wifes bulletproof Fresh Prince of Bel-Air colour scheme '96 CBR600F3. Shame she wants to sell it really (can't deal with clip-ons)

Came back to it to find that Kawasaki H2 parked next to me. I'd say the man is taunting me but I'd be too intimidated to even sit on it with the engine off.

I ended up buying Sedici heated gloves. I've been wearing my jacket in the morning (not heated) and my hands have been getting a bit cold by the time I get to work.

Third winter with a bike as my daily driver is the charm. 1st year I was not prepared and layered up on regular clothes. 2nd year I bought winter gear but my boots and gloves were not up to the task. I bought new boots Saturday and gloves yesterday so BRING IT ON WINTER!

nice man...

Winter is definitely on the way because my Triumph wouldn't start :(

Have the same problem with my Ducati. Trouble is, my parking spot doesn't have any power near it :(.

Luckily the Buells always start.

What Honda?

And speaking of them, the ZRX sale fell off since the guy sold the thing before I could pick it up, but I did buy something... a 1996 Honda Magna for 1,300 doll hairs:

yK0XkOx.jpg

No one is gonna want to steal this turd and Im gonna open up the exhaust for some sweet V4 noises.

I will get back on sport bikes whenever I can afford a garage.
That looks awesome! I'd ride and mod the crap out of it!
Have the same problem with my Ducati. Trouble is, my parking spot doesn't have any power near it :(.

Luckily the Buells always start.
My 2013 Iron 883 was dead after a 3 day weekend in the winter. It was awful. I bought a battery jumper and tender unit but have not had to use it once for the Road King

Dougald

Motorcycle batteries just suck in the cold. Every bike I've ever had has had issues with them, despite me using an Optimate most of the time.

The problem is compounded on the Street Triple due to the undersized battery that Triumph went with

Watevaman

I don't remember if I liked it when they revealed (I'm sure I can go back and find my post) but I do now. Depending on price, maybe I'll try and pick one up in the future.

knowing Honda it will be overpriced for what it is (NM4 Vultus a prime example for me).

Hope it reaches UK, could be a great bike Dual bike that looks rugged enough to work

Someone might come in to look at the Monster 1100 tomorrow. Been up for sale for nearly a month now. Had to come down in price before someone bit. Asking 8k now, including all the goodies. Paid over 15k new :(. Oh well. It really does need to go.

Dougald

Hate waiting to sell. When the Street Triple goes I'm definitely going to just run an eBay auction, you may get less money but its less hassle and more than part exchanging. Good luck!

I'm almost definitely decided on my next bike.. Multistrada 1200. Unless I really love the new Africa Twin when I try it. Of course even the used pricing means it'll be a couple years before I can afford to change

Dougald

I was looking at a 2010-2011 model, about £7-8k here, which while expensive isn't too bad when you consider I can get half that for the Street Triple, and should be a bit cheaper in a year or so. Only problem is that major service cost (£800!), but it's only every 15k miles.

I figure it should be great to last me a few years as its both practical (with panniers!) and has more than enough power. I actually prefer it in white, but seems a shame to have a Ducati that isn't red.

bKyEQuE.jpg

Of course if I was buying new, I'd probably get the BMW S1000XR but that's safely out of my price range for 4-5 years.

HKGaB9c.jpg

That XR you can get for

Based on a loan amount of £9,899.15 over 36 months at an interest rate of 9.90% per annum. Your monthly payment will be £149.00.

Not too bad for a new bike with 5000miles a year. That 9.9% is just a starter. They can drop it way down if you give them a hard time. If you ready to go you can get them down to 5.2% easly. Its coming to winter and they need to move bikes.

Obviously I still have some time, but I really cannot decide on what I'm going to do going forward. I love track riding and have barely gotten to do it (relatively speaking). I should be moving within the year and making more money, which in theory should make riding track far more feasible.

On the other hand, there is something great about waking up on a Sunday, throwing on the gear and heading out on some great roads with some fun place at the end "waiting" for me. My most recent incident would be "solved" by just riding alone...of course down the line who knows what awaits on the road.

Who knows what awaits on the track? Who knows anything? It's a dangerous game. I love it but I've had these reminders of my mortality a couple times (plus two less serious traction-related incidents). I've been "sport riding" for ~43k miles. That's basically an incident every 10k miles on average. Maybe I'm prone to fucking up and should wise up. I dunno.

i test rode the s1000xr and found it unpleasant. it's fast as balls, but the vibes in the upper rev band are high resonance and nails-on-chalkboard grating. the s1000r doesn't have this problem, so i dunno what's up.

Obviously I still have some time, but I really cannot decide on what I'm going to do going forward. I love track riding and have barely gotten to do it (relatively speaking). I should be moving within the year and making more money, which in theory should make riding track far more feasible.

On the other hand, there is something great about waking up on a Sunday, throwing on the gear and heading out on some great roads with some fun place at the end "waiting" for me. My most recent incident would be "solved" by just riding alone...of course down the line who knows what awaits on the road.

Who knows what awaits on the track? Who knows anything? It's a dangerous game. I love it but I've had these reminders of my mortality a couple times (plus two less serious traction-related incidents). I've been "sport riding" for ~43k miles. That's basically an incident every 10k miles on average. Maybe I'm prone to fucking up and should wise up. I dunno.

Yeah, I know the feeling. Luckily nothing has happened to me in ten years of riding, but who knows when something might. I've done about 50.000 km on mostly Dutch roads. Which might be both a hazard and a boon. Dutch drivers are pretty good for the most part, but it's incredibly busy as well.

Made a conscious decision to no longer ride sport bikes though. Not that you can't hurt yourself on a sporty naked, but at least the seating position allows a better view of your surroundings (you don't have to crane your neck as much). And the Buells simply top out around 160 / 200 km per hour (depending on which one I'm riding). However, not all accidents involve excessive speed. A simple diesel spill might even do the trick.

Keep your eyes peeled I guess :p

Dougald

For what it's worth as someone who recently took out life insurance, riding two wheels doubles it, but riding two wheels *and* trackdays triples it

Yeah, I've heard some trackday horror stories. If trackday visitors are anything like those idiots you (quite often) encounter at indoor karting, there's no way I would share a track with them on bikes.

Dougald

who did you go with and how much can I expect to pay?

LV Life, the base cost of ours to cover our mortgage over 25 years with a decreasing term was about £14 a month. Added about £6 each over that for the privilege of riding motorcycles. We're in our late 20s.

See the new range of ZERO bikes are out. Looks like they are getting better and better. All electric with a 150 mile range.

Was just watching some videos on their bikes, look great fun. Not sure they are that available in the UK though? 150 miles is spot on for a bike as it's what I get out of a tank anyway, and I rarely do more than that in a day.

The new Zero 2016 models looks really good and they have improved the ride very much according to the press. So a brand to look out for. KTM also do one but its only got a 18 mile range...

c58HDUT.jpg

Dougald

That pricing though... I could buy a lot of tanks of petrol for £12k

It's definitely the future though. In a decade we'll all be on them

Dougald

I am still learning (125CC only), but what would an electric bike be classed as?

Licenses in the UK are based on kW, not cc, so it depends on the bike.

According to Zero, all their bikes are below 35kW, so they should all be fine on either an A2 restricted license or full A license. Unless you particularly wanted to spend £12k you'd probably be better with something like a CBR500, or if buying new the clear best A2 bike is the "almost secret" A2-compliant Street Triple that you can only order direct from the Triumph factory.

My wife is going to look at bikes on Saturday, she has her heart set on a Honda Deauville... I'm not sure why, I even offered my Street Triple but to no avail. Once the 2016 season starts up the CBR will be going on eBay

Now she knows she can't handle clip-ons, I think its prep work for getting an ST1300 once she has the experience.

Having (briefly) owned the 1100 they are bloody comfortable and surprisingly maneuverable... but forget about getting through traffic. Personally if I go the big and comfortable route again, it's going to be American and covered in far too much chrome.

Made a conscious decision to no longer ride sport bikes though. Not that you can't hurt yourself on a sporty naked, but at least the seating position allows a better view of your surroundings (you don't have to crane your neck as much). And the Buells simply top out around 160 / 200 km per hour (depending on which one I'm riding). However, not all accidents involve excessive speed. A simple diesel spill might even do the trick.

i'm with ya, breh. i don't get to more'n 3 track days a year, i don't have much interest in racing (bike prep and storage is a hassle, plus the expert group kiddies eat my ass for breakfast), and on the street, well, things only get interesting top of second -- and i've got the tickets to prove it. :-(

i won't say i don't miss the absolute rush, but tiddling around on my tiger 800xc and power cruiser at 90-100 will hafta do. ;-) tiger's still great in the corners and i've got the absent chicken strips to keep SOME cred. :-( thrashing harleys might be like winning the special olympics, but, well, you gets yer validation where you can!

thaaaat said, i still kinda want a daytona 675r or s1000rr...

dougald, in some way, the 600 supersports SUCK for new riders, and i'd argue moreso than a literbike. a 600rr is really a bike for pros who can work th' fuck out of the rev band; otherwise, you might as well ride a 250/300. liter bikes can tiddle around all day in the first 3 gears in a way even a noob can feel like a god. the 50 or so lbs weight difference is kinda a non-issue; after all, we recommend chesty 650-800cc cruisers to noobs and they do fine (in most cases)...

Dougald

dougald, in some way, the 600 supersports SUCK for new riders, and i'd argue moreso than a literbike. a 600rr is really a bike for pros who can work th' fuck out of the rev band; otherwise, you might as well ride a 250/300. liter bikes can tiddle around all day in the first 3 gears in a way even a noob can feel like a god. the 50 or so lbs weight difference is kinda a non-issue; after all, we recommend chesty 650-800cc cruisers to noobs and they do fine (in most cases)...

Well, the '96 600F is a bit of a slouch compared to a modern 600. But even though she had to pass her test on a comparable bike she never really used the power of that CBR anyway... and we all know the adage "more fun to ride a slow bike fast than a fast bike slow". Whatever she's happy with is fine by me, after all, that's the point

It mostly reaffirms my belief that clip-on handlebars are horrible and anyone who can use them for more than 10 minutes without hating themselves is either a god or insane.

Anyone Ridden a Honda MSX 125 (Or Grom in America)?

Looking at a fun 125 to help me learn more which after passing any test I can still have fun with and enjoy. Reviews seem to be favourable but just wondering what Neogaf thinks?

Top Bottom