• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2 wheel GAF UNITE!

Watevaman

Full Ohlins for $1850? I would take the R just because of that, seeing as that would probably go for $2000+ if you wanted it later.

Damn that Thruxton...

giphy.gif

Anybody here picked up one of them fancy new 959 Panigales? Im thinking about getting rid of my 1098 for one.

959-Panigale.jpg

Its soo purrrdy.

Thank god we dont have to have that ugly shotgun Euro 4 compliant exhaust here in the states!

Dougald

The Euro 4 exhaust on the Panigale is ridiculous because it basically guarantees that everyone who buys the bike will replace it. Because there are no emissions tests for motorcycles other than at manufacture, they'll all end up polluting way more than a sensible design

The Euro 4 exhaust on the Panigale is ridiculous because it basically guarantees that everyone who buys the bike will replace it. Because there are no emissions tests for motorcycles other than at manufacture, they'll all end up polluting way more than a sensible design

I heard that a big reason for it was sound deadening as well; new bikes have to pass a decibel level test, but testers have said that it sounds just as loud as the 899.

Whatever the case is, it definitely looks like an afterthought and makes a beautiful bike a little fugly.

The Thruxton R got some good reviews from MCN and both looks to be a good buy. They say its very much the same styling at the RnineT but much smoother. Where the BMW gives you a torque punch this is more refined. We will have to wait for some reviews. Its priced at 200 notes cheaper than the BMW.

Jackson

Anybody here picked up one of them fancy new 959 Panigales? Im thinking about getting rid of my 1098 for one.

959-Panigale.jpg

Its soo purrrdy.

Thank god we dont have to have that ugly shotgun Euro 4 compliant exhaust here in the states!

Funnily enough that's an 899 not a 959 in the picture. But they're almost incidental. I own a white/red '15 899 and I still love it. It's soooooo pretty and sounds amazing stock. I actually rode it to work yesterday.

The 899 is light years ahead of the 1098 (I rode my friend's). Review say the 959 is a better 899, so if I didn't own an 899 already I'd totally want this. But it's not enough of an upgrade to replace the 899.

It's a fun bike, but if you want a track weapon there are better bikes.

Watevaman

Man, I brought my ZRX out of storage at my parents house this past weekend and its been so nice that I wanted to ride these past few days. Problem is, my driveway is about a quarter mile long gravel hill. Going up, I have no issues but coming down is a butt pucker ride. First time down I was on the front brake with both my feet down at less than walking pace. This morning wasn't so bad but its still some of the scariest stuff I've encountered. I definitely hope one of my future bikes is a dual sport so I don't have to worry so much about it.

Funnily enough that's an 899 not a 959 in the picture. But they're almost incidental. I own a white/red '15 899 and I still love it. It's soooooo pretty and sounds amazing stock. I actually rode it to work yesterday.

The 899 is light years ahead of the 1098 (I rode my friend's). Review say the 959 is a better 899, so if I didn't own an 899 already I'd totally want this. But it's not enough of an upgrade to replace the 899.

It's a fun bike, but if you want a track weapon there are better bikes.

Whoops! I just searched 959 and found the first image without the shotgun exhaust. Yeah, visually they are almost identical with the exception being the wider from cowl bodywork.

How is the 899 light years ahead of the 1098? Care to elaborate? Just looking for some feedback on it.

Also, I might do the occasional trackday, not really worried about lap times. As long as Im out there having fun, its a good day. Plus, there are usually plenty of guys on faster bikes putting down slower lap times :D.

Jackson

Whoops! I just searched 959 and found the first image without the shotgun exhaust. Yeah, visually they are almost identical with the exception being the wider from cowl bodywork.

How is the 899 light years ahead of the 1098? Care to elaborate? Just looking for some feedback on it.

Also, I might do the occasional trackday, not really worried about lap times. As long as Im out there having fun, its a good day. Plus, there are usually plenty of guys on faster bikes putting down slower lap times :D.

Crap it was an 848 Evo, not a 1098. But anyway it was just a much more enjoyable riding experience. Rake, egro, softer ride, lower center of gravity, more electronic nannies (which I personally like). Felt easier to flick around and more compliant. It's just a more compliant package for street use (which is the purpose of it, a street 1199). The 848 Evo to me was super stiff and uncomfortable. It was a clear upgrade for me. But like I said the 899 isn't really a track bike. It's a fast, pretty street bike.

I also demo'd a 1299S and that had all the same comforts of the 899, but even better handling and more helpful nannies. I dug it, but at double the price of my 899 I don't think it was worth an upgrade.

Dougald

Got my new stator in the post, I ran the same check with a multimeter I ran on my current one with different results, so I'd say that should be the problem.. Just waiting for some other bits now.

(The current one is short circuited)

R1 needs a few parts (not too big of a deal), plus all-new plastics (bigger deal money-wise). But really, I need to pretty much buy a new set of gear. All together it's going to be around $3K :(

edit: It's going to be 80F outside today, too...already 55F :'(

Yes if you add up all the bit its allot of money. I hope you can get the bike and yourself out some time in the summer.

Dougald

Hope you get it soon up and running

Cheers, I'm just waiting for the Battery now, I may not have time to work on the bike this weekend though so it may have to wait... I am keen to get it fixed ASAP though to take advantage when the weather turns. In the end to keep my confidence in the charging system I decided to replace the stator, rectifier and battery. All in cost me a shade under £300.

Heat can easily destroy regulator/rectifiers, Triumph in their infinite wisdom placed the Street Triples unit 2 inches from the exhaust

He makes a valid point:

One assumes the bikes coming off the line on March 17th will be those same bikes that have been sitting on the shelf for roughly a year— bikes that are no different than when introduced in 2014.

Whereas two years is practically nothing considering the pace of change adopted by most American motorcycle companies, it's a decent stretch in EBR's chosen field of sport/performance bikes.

Two years ago, the 1190RX was almost as good as the Ducati Panigale 1199, according to many moto-journalists. But now the Panigale is a 1299 and the 1190RX lacks the ABS and Euro4 compliance needed for it to even be legal in the European market, where the largest concentration of sportbike riders is found.

However, even in Europe, the popularity of sportbikes has plummeted in recent years. Wherever EBR sets up shop (it's still trying to put together a dealer network) it will be selling an outdated product to an ever-shrinking crowd. And once the current stock of bikes runs out, once those bikes from 2014 are sold off at fire sale prices to sentimental patriots, what then?

What then? Back to torque focused air cooled greatness I say :p

Dougald

At least anecdotally, the younger riders want classic, beardy bikes like the Ducati Scrambler, or they want a naked street bike. All the older riders are falling over themselves for ADV bikes. Sport bikes just don't have the appeal they once did, I think that's why Suzuki struggles so much in the UK now

nico1982

Sport bikes just don't have the appeal they once did, I think that's why Suzuki struggles so much in the UK now
The fact that almost all of their models are either dated, cheap or both doesn't help, either. The only GSX-R with ABS is the 1000... since last year (or something like that).

Dougald

The fact that almost all of their models are either dated, cheap or both doesn't help, either. The only GSX-R with ABS is the 1000... since last year (or something like that).

Yep, all they are really good for is "cheap sportsbikes". The Chinese have nicked the cheap low-cc market, and nobody wants to buy a Suzuki when they could spend a grand more and get a Yamaha, etc.

Though saying that the new SV650 looks absolutely cracking for a cheap no-nonsense naked, and I do have a soft spot for the GSX-S1000. But these are exceptions to a line up that can be mostly summed up as "meh"

nico1982

I do have a soft spot for the GSX-S1000. But these are exceptions to a line up that can be mostly summed up as "meh"
Exactly.

I wanted to like the GSX-S1000F a lot. Actually, I do except for two things: a bit too much plastic and the unusable pillion seat. Especially the latter. Seriously, is divorce material. Suzuki could have ended up with the *only* true sport tourer on the market but they didn't even put proper luggage mounting points...

Dougald

I don't care about pillion seat, but stick some hard luggage on it and I'd be sold. Suzuki sell a damn chrome oil filler cap, but apparently luggage is too space age for them.

You want to talk dated, their product page for the GSX-S1000FA touts the engine is from the "Legendary" 2005 GSXR-1000. So it's 11 years old then.

But it's been a while since they've had something truly desirable. In terms of sales though, doesn't the V-Strom still do really well for them?

I think the GSXR750 and the V-Strom are their only bikes that actually sell in any numbers over here

Actually, if we're criticising dated line-ups, Honda should be getting some criticism. The only relatively interesting bikes they have are the Grom and Africa Twin. The ST1300 hasn't been updated in over a decade for goodness sake. Everything they sell is just "safe". In terms of Japanese manufacturers the only one who doesn't look to be asleep at the wheel is Yamaha, who are just consistently knocking it out of the park with the MT series.

I got myself a pair of AlpineStar Andes boots as my boots where more than 7 years old and the protection was not that great. How I dont like to break in new boots.

Also got a new top box adapter (SW motech) so I can re-use my Givi top box. The bracket arrives Monday and looking forward to this as my work backpack is just getting too heavy.

The boots are getting better after the first 2 weeks.

Actually, if we're criticising dated line-ups, Honda should be getting some criticism. The only relatively interesting bikes they have are the Grom and Africa Twin. The ST1300 hasn't been updated in over a decade for goodness sake. Everything they sell is just "safe". In terms of Japanese manufacturers the only one who doesn't look to be asleep at the wheel is Yamaha, who are just consistently knocking it out of the park with the MT series.

True, Honda isn't exactly blowing my mind either. And while I'm not a huge fan of most of the styling in the MT lineup (though the 10 is pretty damn cool), they're definitely good choices in terms of value and fun for the road type bikes.

The only Honda out there now that gets my vote is the new African Twin. Good looking machine and its a do all type of bike that does not scare people with mad power. I am really keen to give it a test ride

OraleeWey

I've done it guys. I have my M2 class. MSFBRC was super easy and fun. Plus you learn a lot.

Now, I have to move on to my bike, thanks to MSFBRC, I am better prepared.

Edit: Nailed it. No issues with a small ride I had on my bike! Now I just need more practice! I'm a bit afraid to go into the main roads. I should lose that fear soon though. With a little more practice. First thing I shall do is fill it up with gas!

Flo_Evans

Man, I brought my ZRX out of storage at my parents house this past weekend and its been so nice that I wanted to ride these past few days. Problem is, my driveway is about a quarter mile long gravel hill. Going up, I have no issues but coming down is a butt pucker ride. First time down I was on the front brake with both my feet down at less than walking pace. This morning wasn't so bad but its still some of the scariest stuff I've encountered. I definitely hope one of my future bikes is a dual sport so I don't have to worry so much about it.

Rear brake is your friend down gravel hills, esp with a smaller front street tire. Try and slide back as far as possible to keep the front as light as you can, YOLO.

Dougald

I've done it guys. I have my M2 class. MSFBRC was super easy and fun. Plus you learn a lot.

Now, I have to move on to my bike, thanks to MSFBRC, I am better prepared.

Edit: Nailed it. No issues with a small ride I had on my bike! Now I just need more practice! I'm a bit afraid to go into the main roads. I should lose that fear soon though. With a little more practice. First thing I shall do is fill it up with gas!

Well done! I'm glad you had a good time on your first lesson - when I did my CBT I was fine until I went out on the road, where I proceeded to mount the pavement and nearly ride into a lamp post - I was nervous!

Practice, practice, practice... and try not to let any bad habits sneak in! I highly recommend this book and the associated cheesy video

Watevaman

Rear brake is your friend down gravel hills, esp with a smaller front street tire. Try and slide back as far as possible to keep the front as light as you can, YOLO.

Unfortunately using the rear brake would mean I couldn't have both feet on the ground, which I need since I am literally at sub-walking pace on the last stretch. If I were to rely on the rear brake, I'd already be going too fast and I would either roll down into the road or lock up trying to stop and fall.

On all the stuff that I can actually take at a speed that allows the bike to stay upright, I use the rear brake.

Dougald

Well, it took me 7 hours but I got the bike up and running again. 14.3V to the battery when the engine is going. It'll take a me a little while to trust it again, especially as I had to replace one of the connectors as the pattern part I used was *just* different enough for it to not plug in snugly.

OraleeWey

Well done! I'm glad you had a good time on your first lesson - when I did my CBT I was fine until I went out on the road, where I proceeded to mount the pavement and nearly ride into a lamp post - I was nervous!

Practice, practice, practice... and try not to let any bad habits sneak in! I highly recommend this book and the associated cheesy video

That must've been a scary situation you had there. I've seen that video once, I stumbled upon it on this thread as I was skimming through from page one. It has been suggested to me as well a couple of times. I'm going to go ahead and watch it again. No doubt that it is very useful.

Let's just take a moment to consider that I posted this on February 2nd:

GAF thinking of joining "2wheels". I've been heavily looking at the Kawasaki KLR650 2015/2016. Especially the camo one.
f8df695f-40bc-45fc-80cd-6b7bec7a1e42.jpg

I'll be using it as a commuter bike in NOVA (Northern Virginia). I can't wait. I'm still deciding but I've got a lot more to research. If I do choose to get this bike I'll be getting the proper gear. Most likely overpants/overjackers. I'm just not sure if they'll also work for winter riding as well?

Edit: What do you guys with some experience think of the KLR650? I know it does a lot of things, it just doesn't do anything in particular well. But people who ride them, Love them.

And now I can't believe that just over a month later, I have a motorcycle, I have a license, and I can actually ride it. Time flies.

Btw, yesterday I decided to drive on the main roads. I think I did okay -- and I didn't really have any fear. However, I know that accidents happen within a split second. So I need to develop some experience when dealing with how to safely ride. I can only do that by actually going out there and riding. Next week I plan on going on the highway to see how my bike performs. I'm only doing so because it isn't a terribly long trip. I'm just going to pick up a new pair of glasses!

I don't know if I have posted any pictures of my bike but Here it is.

I've got a question for you guys. Any of you use GoPros, or any cameras while riding? I plan on doing so for almost every time I ride it. What's the best way to mount the camera and are you guys okay with using an adhesive mount on your expensive helmet?

Dougald

I've got a question for you guys. Any of you use GoPros, or any cameras while riding? I plan on doing so for almost every time I ride it. What's the best way to mount the camera and are you guys okay with using an adhesive mount on your expensive helmet?

I've got a Drift HD mounted to the top of my Shoei. It works okay (low light performance isn't great). I doubt I'll remove the mount but I have taken one off once, if you use a hair dryer and take your time, you shouldn't damage the colour scheme of that nice Arai

Makki

I've got a Drift HD mounted to the top of my Shoei. It works okay (low light performance isn't great). I doubt I'll remove the mount but I have taken one off once, if you use a hair dryer and take your time, you shouldn't damage the colour scheme of that nice Arai

Word, I have mine mounted on the side of my Shoei and I did remove it once from another location (I had the sticky mount from GoPro) with a hairdryer and it left no residue or damage behind.

Took a little drive down to Bahnstormer in Alton on Sat and man the place was busy and damn that XR sounds like a beast. There where test drives going out and it was just great to sit in the sun with a nice coffee.

Found these, looks like its build on the Roland Sands. The red is just awesome in real life

tHAAGgO.jpg

Alright, don't laugh, bought another Buell with my dad. But it's a bit of a project. We'll be lucky if the crankshaft survived the carnage (previous owner continued riding after one of the oil lines became disconnected). We'll see though, got a good feeling (and an incredible deal on a Firebolt).

img_20160312_130230sguu1.jpg

Dougald

You're going to end up with the largest Buell collection in Northern Europe, aren't you

not that there's anything wrong with that

You can get old Erik Buell to come and help you sort the bike out. He has a bit of time while he starts up production again.

Man I do love those brakes

Dougald

Obsessive man that I am, I ordered a new connector to replace the one that didn't fit. It was the hookup from the stator to the ECU so it would probably strand me if it died. I nearly just replaced it with a couple of standard looking spade connectors I had lying around, but that just feels wrong.

Going to tackle the BMW service next Sunday, then we should be ready to ride Easter weekend. I saw that wemoto now sell a portable jump start kit for bikes, think I may invest in one after my adventure in push-starting. It's small enough to fit under the seat and will charge your phone in a pinch as well.

I use a Contour Roam 2, which you can get for quite reasonable prices. On all the time when I ride. Mounted to my helmet on the right side, although I have a cheap HJC 17, so haven't been worried about damage. About to buy a Shoei RF1200 I think, also not worried there, though.

Kids love it when I come home with the helmet on, want me to record them and then let them watch it, super dorky narcissists.

I saw that wemoto now sell a portable jump start kit for bikes, think I may invest in one after my adventure in push-starting. It's small enough to fit under the seat and will charge your phone in a pinch as well.

Yeah, those kits really work. Managed to get both Scotch's old CB1 and my other buddy's Speed Triple going again (more than once, on a single charge). Sadly, the battery on the CB1 had truly died. But the jump starter worked like a charm.

Top Bottom