• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2 wheel GAF UNITE!

Dougald

I'd having a small psychological problem riding the BMW in that I keep thinking I'm going to scrape the engine on the corners, so I end up taking them a lot slower than I would on the Triumph. I'm pretty sure that the footpeg would touch down before the boxer twin, but it's so wide I can't quite bring myself to test it.

My poor bike is not being ridden at all though. Given the choice at this time of year I'll take the one with handguards and heated grips every time.

Flo_Evans

I'd having a small psychological problem riding the BMW in that I keep thinking I'm going to scrape the engine on the corners, so I end up taking them a lot slower than I would on the Triumph. I'm pretty sure that the footpeg would touch down before the boxer twin, but it's so wide I can't quite bring myself to test it.

My poor bike is not being ridden at all though. Given the choice at this time of year I'll take the one with handguards and heated grips every time.

Your boot should touch down before the cylinder heads don't worry :p

Flo_Evans

Not if your toes are in the proper position :p

Maybe on the R1150R, but the foot peg position of the GS makes it pretty tough to not drag a boot 1st.

Uk9FwSq.jpg

Dougald

I think I just need to force myself to scrape a footpeg to prove to my brain it won't be the engine. Those hero blobs on the pegs are massive on the r1150r, despite how wide the engine crash bars are.

Yes you will have to go very low to get to the headers. I would also not try that on the uk roads with cold tyres and the chance of hitting a bit of diesel. Roundabouts is the best place to try it. Find a business park and go around going lower and lower.

Best place is to go to a track get the tyres up to temp and have some fun

htBmKGP.jpg

Dougald

Roundabouts are the only place I ever get that close, what with the adverse camber..

Took it out again this morning, leaned over far further and was in no danger of scraping anything at all, it's all in my head!

Roundabouts are the only place I ever get that close, what with the adverse camber..

Took it out again this morning, leaned over far further and was in no danger of scraping anything at all, it's all in my head!

Its something you get use to... I blame my dad for getting me into the boxers. Now its difficult to move away.

Dougald

They are definitely different to a regular motorcycle. There is no shortage of power on public roads, but no sense of urgency to use it either.

I'll never get used to the BMW indicators though

Dougald

Really? When I rode the R1200GS a few years ago it was still one button either side, though it also let you press both to cancel

Dougald

Hurrah, the horn is in a logical place now too

h59AH6O.jpg

When BMW built this thing they said "lets have as many buttons and dash lights as possible"

OraleeWey

You guys aren't making it any easier for me! I signed up for the classes. I start on March 9th and end March 11th. This coming week when I register my bike, I'm going to take the DMV (multiple choice?) test and get my learners permit. I'll probably ride it before I start the MSF BRC. If the weather isn't too cold.

Maybe on the R1150R, but the foot peg position of the GS makes it pretty tough to not drag a boot 1st.

Uk9FwSq.jpg

Looks like the toes on the right peg are actually on the peg (and therefore not dragging) or am I seeing it wrong?

Knee down is quite an achievement on the GS btw. Nice.

Rizific

anyone have any input on the uclear bluetooth communicators? i dont ride in groups so the rider to rider features dont interest me. im mainly looking for hands free phone operation, answering and making calls, turn by turn gps, and streaming music. ive been eyeing the Uclear HBC100 and reviews seem to for the most part positive. also less than half the cost of the sena smh10 that i was also considering.

ravien56

anyone have any input on the uclear bluetooth communicators? i dont ride in groups so the rider to rider features dont interest me. im mainly looking for hands free phone operation, answering and making calls, turn by turn gps, and streaming music. ive been eyeing the Uclear HBC100 and reviews seem to for the most part positive. also less than half the cost of the sena smh10 that i was also considering.
Hey man. I actually had that exact model as a demo through work. Used it for about two years before upgrading. The unit is... Fine. Music volume is sufficient but if you're going over 100km/hr it can be a little tough to hear the music, especially podcasts. The unit itself is pretty easy to use, skipping tracks is a two button press and whenever my wife would call me, she said she could hear me but it sounded like I was in a tunnel which is expected.

Rizific

Hey man. I actually had that exact model as a demo through work. Used it for about two years before upgrading. The unit is... Fine. Music volume is sufficient but if you're going over 100km/hr it can be a little tough to hear the music, especially podcasts. The unit itself is pretty easy to use, skipping tracks is a two button press and whenever my wife would call me, she said she could hear me but it sounded like I was in a tunnel which is expected.

i actually just finished setting mine up, pretty painless. after some pretty quick tests, ive come to the same conclusion. its fine for what i want to use it for. still havent tried it on the streets, but the speakers are definitely loud enough for music and gps directions in the city. the speaker cutouts in my rf1200 dont fit the speakers perfectly because of the mic, so that part sits on top of the lower edge of the cutout but my cheek pads keep me from feeling them. not a bad unit for $75.

OraleeWey

I tried giving my KLR650 a go today. Man you really have to respect the power on those things. I didn't get too far. My issue is the clutch/gas. I can't quite get it right. I was wearing full gear and everything. I didn't fall. I just need to get the whole shifting process right before I can ride.

Anyway, 8 more days for my first class.

I did ride it a little bit when I managed to get it going. It was SUPER FUN.

Flo_Evans

KLR being a big single is very torquey. You should be releasing the clutch low in the rpm scale and slowly adding more throttle after it grabs.

You should be able to get it rolling with very little throttle input / possibly zero with slow enough clutch release.

Gritesh

Ive been in here before talking about my Monster 1100 Evo

I do love the bike its been such an enjoyable experience.

However lately I have been gravitating towards the BMW R1200R and was wondering if any of you have any insight on if its worth the....6 grand or so I would have to pay on top of what I get for my 1100 EVO to make the switch.

Looking for the same experience my monster brings, naked roadster with power and cornering ability, not a heavy pig.

But I'm looking for something with longer range, a smoother ride, water cooled, and more comfort for those long trips.

Thoughts?

OraleeWey

KLR being a big single is very torquey. You should be releasing the clutch low in the rpm scale and slowly adding more throttle after it grabs.

You should be able to get it rolling with very little throttle input / possibly zero with slow enough clutch release.

Yeah, will try again. I was stalling it because I didn't know about the "friction zone". I was always told, "as you release the clutch give it gas". But there is a friction zone which is when you give it gas.

Question, when you're shifting into 2nd, 3rd, 4th, and 5th, gear is it the same principle as first gear -- meaning that you give it gas as it is on the 'friction zone"?

@Dougald I spotted a ducati this weekend. The guy and his girl was riding around Reading. So the duc's are out. Time for you to dust off the bikes.

Flo_Evans

Yeah, will try again. I was stalling it because I didn't know about the "friction zone". I was always told, "as you release the clutch give it gas". But there is a friction zone which is when you give it gas.

Question, when you're shifting into 2nd, 3rd, 4th, and 5th, gear is it the same principle as first gear -- meaning that you give it gas as it is on the 'friction zone"?

Shifting through the other gears can be done very quickly, off throttle - pull clutch - kick gearbox - release clutch - back on throttle. Once you get a feel for it you really don't need to even use the clutch but at first I would concentrate on being smooth with the clutch.

Best practice for starting out is just try and keep it a 1-2k rpm, slowly let out clutch and get used to where it starts grabbing, pull the clutch back in as you start to move, repeat.

Use your nose to tell you when your clutch has had enough (i.e. You smell burning!) in no time it will become 2nd nature.

I do love the bike its been such an enjoyable experience.

However lately I have been gravitating towards the BMW R1200R and was wondering if any of you have any insight on if its worth the....6 grand or so I would have to pay on top of what I get for my 1100 EVO to make the switch.

Looking for the same experience my monster brings, naked roadster with power and cornering ability, not a heavy pig.

But I'm looking for something with longer range, a smoother ride, water cooled, and more comfort for those long trips.

Thoughts?

6 grand for an inferior bike in terms of weight, cornering ability and power. Not that an R1200R is a bad bike in those areas, far from it. It's just that the Monster 1100 is better (again, in those areas). Feels much more eager to deliver its power and more ready to be flung around. In terms of sportiness, coming from the Monster, it will be a step down. But it sounds like that might not be your primary concern going forward. I've made some long trips on the Monster 1100 back when I still had it though and wasn't necessarily uncomfortable on it... So I dunno, considering the trade-offs and the money required to make the change, I wouldn't do it personally. What about a Multistrada though? Haven't ridden one yet, but it sounds like that would offer both of the things you're looking for.

Damaged

So after getting messed about by my bosses at the Aprilia dealership I decided enough was enough and started looking elsewhere. Long story short after a few interviews I start working at the local Harley Davidson dealership next week! Really looking forward to seeing what they are all about, the bikes aren't really my sort of thing and I'll miss the Italian stuff but they seem a really good company to work for and its learning something new which is always good.

Any particular models in the Harley range I should be excited that I can test ride?

So after getting messed about by my bosses at the Aprilia dealership I decided enough was enough and started looking elsewhere. Long story short after a few interviews I start working at the local Harley Davidson dealership next week! Really looking forward to seeing what they are all about, the bikes aren't really my sort of thing and I'll miss the Italian stuff but they seem a really good company to work for and its learning something new which is always good.

Any particular models in the Harley range I should be excited that I can test ride?

That is good news. Its always great to learn more about a wide range of bike. The one I would like to ride is the livewire. Full electric bike from them.

Watevaman

Bringing the ZRX out of storage this weekend! Can't wait to ride again, but before I do anything serious I have to adjust the valves and flush the coolant. And to do that, I need some more $$$.

Not sure if you're in the US or elsewhere but if I was you i'd hope on the Low rider S. That 110 CUI engine is probably a lot of fun.

OraleeWey

Shifting through the other gears can be done very quickly, off throttle - pull clutch - kick gearbox - release clutch - back on throttle. Once you get a feel for it you really don't need to even use the clutch but at first I would concentrate on being smooth with the clutch.

Best practice for starting out is just try and keep it a 1-2k rpm, slowly let out clutch and get used to where it starts grabbing, pull the clutch back in as you start to move, repeat.

Use your nose to tell you when your clutch has had enough (i.e. You smell burning!) in no time it will become 2nd nature.

Very straightforward. I will try this, thanks!

Gritesh

6 grand for an inferior bike in terms of weight, cornering ability and power. Not that an R1200R is a bad bike in those areas, far from it. It's just that the Monster 1100 is better (again, in those areas). Feels much more eager to deliver its power and more ready to be flung around. In terms of sportiness, coming from the Monster, it will be a step down. But it sounds like that might not be your primary concern going forward. I've made some long trips on the Monster 1100 back when I still had it though and wasn't necessarily uncomfortable on it... So I dunno, considering the trade-offs and the money required to make the change, I wouldn't do it personally. What about a Multistrada though? Haven't ridden one yet, but it sounds like that would offer both of the things you're looking for.

Thanks for the feedback I looked at the multistrada but honestly I can't get over the design of the bike.
I liked the hypermotard 939sp too but don't think that solves any of my issues other than the water cooled part.

Basically I love the monster its a great machine I do alot of daily commuting in a big city and its quick nimble and enjoyable for those rides.
Where it falls short for me is when I go to the mountains for a week. Its comfortable and enjoyable to ride when I'm there, but it's range is poor and here in Canada gas stations can be so far apart they are out of range for the monster which limits where I can go.
Also now I know this isn't a cure all but the monster sitting in downtown city traffic kinda sucks it gets so hot without air flowing across it and I've had to actually shut it down and walk it down the road at times when stuck in a traffic jam I never had to do that with my water cooled machines.

And as far as commuting is concerned I like how the BMW looks with hard case saddle bags and the practically of it versus a backpack on the monster.

I dunno I understand it's a lateral move for me giving up some things to gain some different things honestly the monster is the perfect machine for me minus a few shortcomings and I feel I would be willing to trade off what it brings to the table over the BMW for a few things the BMW offers.

Also.... Reduced maintenance costs.

And a driveshaft bike would be neat.

Edit: I guess I'm trying to convince myself I'd like that bike and be happier with it I dunno

If you are looking for long range then the BMW's does offer allot in the ranges. I started off with a R80GS 1986 then moved to a 650 Dakar, great bike just could not carry two people and luggage and have enough ooph for the long roads. I upgraded to a 1150GS then to a normal 1200gs to a 1200gs adv. That 1200gs adv is like the mother ship... I think with a long hose at the back you can do in ride refueling for other bikes lol.

Enjoy looking for a new bike and go ride them all. The boxer engine is different and the telelever front is great if you trust is. The drive shaft is bullet proof and works great. The engine will go anywhere without a problem. A gel seat is a great addition.

nico1982

[...]

Thoughts?
What do you think of the FJ-09/MT-09 Tracer? I don't know if you are from the US, but given the price it should be within reach of those 6000 grand plus whatever you get for the Evo.

Another option is the Hyperstrada, that is the touring version of the Hypermotard.

Two friends of mine have them. Both are fast riders that also routinely enjoy 500+ km/day journeys. The Hyperstrada guy comes from a 1100 Evo, too :)

Anyway, both are fun bikes to ride, relatively comfortable to travel on and relatively cheap to run and maintain (especially the Yamaha). They both come with ABS and TC. Just don't expect them to be a ride as firm as the Monster, being equipped with long travel suspensions. Mileage is much better on both.

OraleeWey

Today was a good day. I rode up to 25 MPH and up to 3rd gear. Sloppy start at first but got it down when I went to my neighborhood's empty pool parking lot. There I learned the relationship between clutch and throttle. After that it was much easier to shift to 2nd and 3rd. I just rode around the neighborhood. I attracted some attention as people were taking pictures of me. It was fun.

It was raining last night so I stink like humidity :p

Gritesh

What do you think of the FJ-09/MT-09 Tracer? I don't know if you are from the US, but given the price it should be within reach of those 6000 grand plus whatever you get for the Evo.

Another option is the Hyperstrada, that is the touring version of the Hypermotard.

Two friends of mine have them. Both are fast riders that also routinely enjoy 500+ km/day journeys. The Hyperstrada guy comes from a 1100 Evo, too :)

Anyway, both are fun bikes to ride, relatively comfortable to travel on and relatively cheap to run and maintain (especially the Yamaha). They both come with ABS and TC. Just don't expect them to be a ride as firm as the Monster, being equipped with long travel suspensions. Mileage is much better on both.

Yeah I really liked the hyperstrada but everything I read says get the hypermotard 939sp and add touring bits later.

Honestly it's the styling of the Euro bikes that really appeals to me. I've had a Honda and a Yamaha before and they are great bikes and honestly so dependable I would have a hard time recommending something else.

As lame as it sounds I like having something unique all my buddies have Jap bikes right now I'm the only one riding a euro machine and to me they just feel like they got soul to them.

Anyways in heading down to the ducati/BMW dealer today to take a serious look I'll let you guys know what I come up with.

So I went down there and took a look, its still winter here so no test rides.

Why did I do that..

I love the R1200R but even more I fucking LOOOOVE the s1000r

but if I'm honest with myself its not practical nor what I'm really looking for.

I also checked out the Hypermotard SP and the Multistrada.

I still like the r1200r, told them they need to work with me on the pricing and ill be back when I can test ride it.

Dougald

The boxer bikes are something different for sure. I know whenever I ride the R1150R I feel like I could probably sit on it for days, but its still much more nimble than size suggests. Only thing it can't really do too well is filter.

For my money if I were buying new I'd have the R1200RS or the Multistrada 1200S, but the "standard" R is a great bike too

Edit: There is also the S1000XR, which many review suggest is better than the Multistrada, though I don't think it beats it on looks.

StuffRuff

Going to stick some insurance and tax on the VFR and take it out of storage this weekend!

Maybe this year I'll swap it for something new but knowing me I'll still not have made my mind up of what I want and it'll be the end of the season again!

Edit: I guess I'm trying to convince myself I'd like that bike and be happier with it I dunno

Hey man, you probably would :p. Just because the Monster is sportier, it's not like the BMW isn't going to make you forget all about that after a couple of weeks. Great bikes in their own right.

The boxer bikes are something different for sure. I know whenever I ride the R1150R I feel like I could probably sit on it for days, but its still much more nimble than size suggests. Only thing it can't really do too well is filter.

For my money if I were buying new I'd have the R1200RS or the Multistrada 1200S, but the "standard" R is a great bike too

Yes, the RS looks very good. Probably the best looking bike BMW has right now. It's what I would go for.

The RS is a great looking machine but it can be a bit heavy if you going to use it in the traffic. This is where the R1200R is a bit lighter and it feels much smaller. RS has all the nice wind protection but also looking sporty where the R1200R is more naked. The XR is the silky smooth reving engine that feels like a adventure bike for the road only.

What about a KTM 1050 adv? Its been getting great reviews and it does look like a nice bike.

04R3zIr.jpg

Gritesh

I've slept on it.

Honestly I think I'm going to go for that R1200r

The model I'm looking at is the sport, its the white with red frame, it has keyless ride and quick shift pro on it.

One of the reasons I'm considering this bike now more than ever is the fact that this unit is a demo unit and thus they are pricing it agressively to move it. Pair that with the weak Alberta economy here in Canada and the sales department is hurting to make sales.

Comparatively, the bike with these features on it brand new OTD is $18,995.62.
They have offered me this one at $15,000 all in OTD. I walked on the deal yesterday and they told me they really want to sell the machine to me and asked what it would take. I told them to come down on the price a bit and well talk, I'm off to japan for holidays for 3 weeks and I'd call at the start of April. If they want to make a sale come down a bit more and we got a deal.

The monster is such a great machine but I am looking at riding down into the states and to the west coast of Canada this year and the more years that go by the less I can about aggressive speed and the more I care about creature comforts.
As I mentioned before I do alot of city riding in heavy traffic and I like a bike that's also nimble too.
Trying to find the best of both worlds has proven hard, I really wanted the monster to be that machine but in the end it falls short on a few things.

As far as other options I guess I can't get passed the styling on the other options. I still want a semi sporty look to my bikes and I'm really REALLY partial to a naked bike especially in the Euro flavor.

I'm going to think on it for a few weeks do some more research talk with fellow riders and make a decision its hard to see the monster go but my riding needs are changing.

I've slept on it.

Honestly I think I'm going to go for that R1200r

The model I'm looking at is the sport, its the white with red frame, it has keyless ride and quick shift pro on it.

One of the reasons I'm considering this bike now more than ever is the fact that this unit is a demo unit and thus they are pricing it agressively to move it. Pair that with the weak Alberta economy here in Canada and the sales department is hurting to make sales.

Comparatively, the bike with these features on it brand new OTD is $18,995.62.
They have offered me this one at $15,000 all in OTD. I walked on the deal yesterday and they told me they really want to sell the machine to me and asked what it would take. I told them to come down on the price a bit and well talk, I'm off to japan for holidays for 3 weeks and I'd call at the start of April. If they want to make a sale come down a bit more and we got a deal.

The monster is such a great machine but I am looking at riding down into the states and to the west coast of Canada this year and the more years that go by the less I can about aggressive speed and the more I care about creature comforts.
As I mentioned before I do alot of city riding in heavy traffic and I like a bike that's also nimble too.
Trying to find the best of both worlds has proven hard, I really wanted the monster to be that machine but in the end it falls short on a few things.

As far as other options I guess I can't get passed the styling on the other options. I still want a semi sporty look to my bikes and I'm really REALLY partial to a naked bike especially in the Euro flavor.

I'm going to think on it for a few weeks do some more research talk with fellow riders and make a decision its hard to see the monster go but my riding needs are changing.

Thats the one I have the sport. I have only added the GS hand guards to get a bit of the uk cold off my hands.

Dougald

Just ordered a feeler gauge set for the 1150R, I don't normally do valve clearances but I'll make an exception seeing as it's a boxer engine and I only have to remove the spark plug and covers. Bike was due at 42k miles and it's now on 43.

Watevaman

Ha, ha......ha. ZRX was due at 15k and it's at 33k.......

But seriously, valves are typically one of the easiest do-it-yourself jobs on bikes if you have even the slightest wrench turning ability. I think everyone should do their own unless time prohibits, it'll save so much money.

edit: Also, don't mean to go on a tirade here and it's not aimed at anyone in particular, but I feel like most bike owners are the types who are mechanically savvy and even if you aren't, bikes are usually so easy to get into working on. I read posts where people are taking their bikes to a shop to have the chain cleaned and adjusted and it blows my mind. Sure it might be an investment in tools, but you've already spent thousands on what is essentially a toy (unless it's your primary transportation). Sure, there's some things that are just so much of a pain that a shop is easier and I'm certain that newer bikes and all the stuff they come with require a bit more technical know-how so it's understandable how it happens.

Sorry, just my two cents.

Dougald

When I first started riding my mechanical ability began and ended with changing the wipers on my car - I've learnt so much in the last 6 years, and that's down to how accessible working on bikes is. The only things I'll generally pay for are where I'm buying time - example when I had the Street Triples valves/throttle bodies sorted. Looks so simple to adjust the Boxers valves though it seems like I'd be throwing a few hundred quid away taking it to a garage. Twirling spanners on my own bike is half the appeal of riding to me now.

I was just able to ride the Street Triple into town and back without dying of frostbite so I hearby declare the season open! After riding a BMW around for 2 months my Triumph feels like a Grom

Got hydraulic lifters and a belt on the Buells. So no valve or final drive adjustment for me. Buells win again :D

Git. At least the BMW has a shaft drive. The Street Triple doesn't even have a centre stand for working on the chain (and you can't fit one unless you remove the belly pan either)

When I first started riding my mechanical ability began and ended with changing the wipers on my car - I've learnt so much in the last 6 years, and that's down to how accessible working on bikes is. The only things I'll generally pay for are where I'm buying time - example when I had the Street Triples valves/throttle bodies sorted. Looks so simple to adjust the Boxers valves though it seems like I'd be throwing a few hundred quid away taking it to a garage. Twirling spanners on my own bike is half the appeal of riding to me now.

I was just able to ride the Street Triple into town and back without dying of frostbite so I hearby declare the season open! After riding a BMW around for 2 months my Triumph feels like a Grom

Git. At least the BMW has a shaft drive. The Street Triple doesn't even have a centre stand for working on the chain (and you can't fit one unless you remove the belly pan either)

hope it all goes well with setting the valves. I have done it way back on the R80GS and yes as you said not that difficult as you just pop off the rocker covers

Top Bottom