• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2 wheel GAF UNITE!

Watevaman

Git. At least the BMW has a shaft drive. The Street Triple doesn't even have a centre stand for working on the chain (and you can't fit one unless you remove the belly pan either)

I know I keep bringing it up here and I know you particularly were interested, but look into those ABBA stands. I think they're much cheaper for you guys in the UK than it was for me to import mine and now that I've used it a bunch of times, I love it. Also very usable on different models if you get the adapter kits. Of course, it's not as convenient as a center stand as you'd have to drag a 20 pound piece of metal around but it's nice to own if you're looking for easy chain and rear end maintenance.

I know I keep bringing it up here and I know you particularly were interested, but look into those ABBA stands. I think they're much cheaper for you guys in the UK than it was for me to import mine and now that I've used it a bunch of times, I love it. Also very usable on different models if you get the adapter kits. Of course, it's not as convenient as a center stand as you'd have to drag a 20 pound piece of metal around but it's nice to own if you're looking for easy chain and rear end maintenance.

can you link the stand please

Dougald

I've managed to make do without one as the Street Triple has bobbins on the swingarm, but I'll definitely pick one up if my next bike doesn't have a centre

Sorted out my rear mount to re-use my Givi top box for the R1200R. The guys @http://www.bykebitz.co.uk supplied excellent service as usual. Its worth giving them a visit or check out the website.

Never heard of these guys, Looks like a nice integrated system

http://www.sena.com/product/10c/

akkl5Qr.png

Rizific

any recommendations for a helmet that vents really well? im pretty satisfied with my rf1200, but since its been heating up where i live (80f) ive been noticing that my rf1200 doesnt vent as much as i think it should. during the summer, temps of 100+ for days or even weeks on end are pretty normal occurrences.

OraleeWey

any recommendations for a helmet that vents really well? im pretty satisfied with my rf1200, but since its been heating up where i live (80f) ive been noticing that my rf1200 doesnt vent as much as i think it should. during the summer, temps of 100+ for days or even weeks on end are pretty normal occurrences.

Arai Defiant helmet. Here's a YouTube video. It's at the 4:01-4:23 minute mark. I have a variation if that helmet and I can't give you my opinion on it. I haven't riden enough to know how it performs but according to the reviewer it is really good for cooling you off effectively.

My question, any things I can do to prevent my glasses from fogging inside the helmet? I wear prescription glasses and they were fogging up.

Dougald

My question, any things I can do to prevent my glasses from fogging inside the helmet? I wear prescription glasses and they were fogging up.

When you're riding faster than a few miles an hour they won't fog up. I'm afraid you'll just have to open the visor when you're stopped! A pin lock for the visor itself is a must, but you can't do a lot for your glasses

This is why I plan to get laser this year

Dougald

I foolishly left it off the tender overnight, managed to ride 15 minutes down the road and then it wouldn't start again. Probably ran it down starting/stopping the bike several times during my oil change, the battery in the street triple is criminally under specced

Luckily there was just enough power to run the fuel pump, etc, so I could push start it.

I foolishly left it off the tender overnight, managed to ride 15 minutes down the road and then it wouldn't start again. Probably ran it down starting/stopping the bike several times during my oil change, the battery in the street triple is criminally under specced

Luckily there was just enough power to run the fuel pump, etc, so I could push start it.
After 1 night off the tender? That's pretty bad. How old is the battery?

Watevaman

Yeah, I was about to ask the same. If you have to have the battery on a tender every night to be able to consistently start/stop it might be on its last legs. I can't imagine the Striple has many big drains on the system.

nico1982

It sounds like you have now a decent excuse to get a lithium battery as replacement ;)

Dougald

The battery is 2 years old (I know, because I replaced it when I bought the bike). The bike has a history of running the battery down overnight when it's cold (actually all my Triumphs have done this), plus I cranked it several times while changing the oil... still a bit suspect though.

When I got home after bump starting the bike it still wouldn't start on it's own, multimeter read 12.2V. I stuck it on the optimate which reported the battery as dead and started recovery

It sounds like you have now a decent excuse to get a lithium battery as replacement ;)

I may well do, even though I'm only keeping the bike another year! I've been eyeing them for ages, and I'm not sure I want to trust the current battery

The battery is 2 years old (I know, because I replaced it when I bought the bike). The bike has a history of running the battery down overnight when it's cold (actually all my Triumphs have done this), plus I cranked it several times while changing the oil... still a bit suspect though.

When I got home after bump starting the bike it still wouldn't start on it's own, multimeter read 12.2V. I stuck it on the optimate which reported the battery as dead and started recovery

I may well do, even though I'm only keeping the bike another year! I've been eyeing them for ages, and I'm not sure I want to trust the current battery

Hope you can recover the batt with the tender overnight.

Dougald

I'm optimistic being as it's only 2 years old, and I would think the constant cranking of the engine without running the bike more than 5-10 minutes at a time would be what killed it

I'd like a Lithium battery but then I'd need to buy a new optimate to go with it

Gritesh

I'm back.

And I spent the entire weekend exhaustively researching what I want to buy for my next bike.
I went to a few dealerships and checked things out.

And now I'm on the complete other side of the spectrum

Its down to
BMW s1000r
KTM superduke 1290 r
Aprilia tuono v4 1100 RR

I'm about to scratch the aprilia only for two reasons. The seating position and foot controls put me into too much of supersports mode positioning and the gas mileage on it is pretty poor.

I love the seating position of the superduke and how comfy it is, but it feels so similar to my dirtbike which is a weird similarity but it's a KTM as well and I dunno I can't get that out of my mind.

The BMW is familiar riding position to me feels like my monster I love all the creature comforts but I can't get past the fact it looks like any other super sport out there and it's engine has little character to it....it just seems like another i4 to me.

I'm on holidays for the next three weeks going to try to put it out of my mind and let everything sink in.

What made you change your mind? Given the things you said you missed in the Monster, these are not the bikes I would be looking at :). They're cool though, for sure.

nico1982

And now I'm on the complete other side of the spectrum
Typical new-bike-frenzy :p

I'm about to scratch the aprilia only for two reasons. The seating position and foot controls put me into too much of supersports mode positioning and the gas mileage on it is pretty poor.
I usually get over 200 km on mine before the ominous light, which is nothing to write home about but it does the job. Anyway, have you ridden it? If you want to scratch it, do it before you ride it, because it is intoxicating.

The BMW is familiar riding position to me feels like my monster I love all the creature comforts but I can't get past the fact it looks like any other super sport out there and it's engine has little character to it....it just seems like another i4 to me.
The BMW engine is all business. Have you considered the XR?

I'd suggest you to visit a Triumph dealership and take a look at the new Speed Triple before attempting to make your decision.

A Fish Aficionado

I am going to make it through this year if it kills me
I tried a com system way back when, but it kept cutting off and no headphone jack. I mostly use IEMs for the ear plug effect, so it would be nice not to just crank the volume to 11.

Dougald

Before I started work this morning I checked the bike - Optimate reported the battery as recovered, so I dropped the multimeter on.

When the key is in but ignition isn't started, it was sat around 12.1v. But when I started the bike and let it idle, it only rose to ~12.3v. Doesn't sound too promising?

Dougald

What were we saying about doing your own wrenching? I just checked online and if I did need a new stator, aftermarket would be £150. Through Triumph would be £320 plus probably half that for labour.

Gritesh

What made you change your mind? Given the things you said you missed in the Monster, these are not the bikes I would be looking at :). They're cool though, for sure.

Honestly I don't know.

I was going to go all reserved and humble and get a pure standard bike.
Now after sitting on different machines, reading and watching videos on all kinds of machines I'm all over the map.

All I have ever ridden was supersports and then the monster 1100.
I guess I'm concerned I will miss the little bit of agressiveness. After going for the monster I have developed a real soft spot for naked "street fighters" I really wanted the r1200r to be the kinda bridge between a street fighter and a tourer.

The more I look at it and sit on it etc I feel like it's not that.

It probably didn't help that my buddies lookes with me and all agreed the r1200r was the ugliest of the litter (subjective).

Like I said I'm away for a few weeks I'll spend time thinking about it still there is snow on the ground here still so I'm in no rush.

The biggest thing is I want more than 250kms to a tank.

Out of the three I listed the BMW has the best mileage followed by the KTM then the aprilia

I just got a chance to sit on the aprilia and it felt too close to my old CBR in terms of seating position the bar position was good but the seat forces you into more of an agresive forward lean and the controls are up and back more putting your legs and more of a bent backwards placement.

Full disclosure all my buddies ride supersports so their opinions don't help as they all think everything else is boring.

The BMW engine is all business. Have you considered the XR?

I'd suggest you to visit a Triumph dealership and take a look at the new Speed Triple before attempting to make your decision.

I looked at the xr too but it's price point here puts it off the table.

Really I don't want to spend more than 15 approx right now is a good time because dealerships are hurting for sales and they are blowing out left over 2015 inventory so I can save some money.

Triumph is nice I never really looked into it to me it seemed like it would be too close to the monster to warrant spending the difference to move over.

Damaged

That is good news. Its always great to learn more about a wide range of bike. The one I would like to ride is the livewire. Full electric bike from them.

Good luck with your new adventure!

Same here.

Not sure if you're in the US or elsewhere but if I was you i'd hope on the Low rider S. That 110 CUI engine is probably a lot of fun.

Cool thanks for the suggestions all! I start on wednesday so will see what they let me play with.

My Honda has had most of the updates sorted now, new Hagon rear shocks and front fork internals, Pirelli Diablo Rosso II tyres, carbs cleaned and balanced. Still need to do braided hoses but money got a bit tight

Took it up to Wales for its first proper run and was pretty happy with the results, handles nicely, fuelling in top gear is a bit off though, feels like a bit like starvation but its only once you get over 90 mph

Dougald

Ok, an evening of fun with a multimeter leads me to conclude that the stator is busted on my Triumph, time to drop some money on parts...

Things aren't looking real good for me to ride this year. Maybe later in the year. I'm hopefully moving in several months and I just haven't made fixing my bike or replacing my fucked up gear a financial priority. The gear is going to cost the most for sure.

my tiger 800xc is the same. 2 years old, and if i leave if it off the ender for more than 24 hours it takes forever to crank over.

nico1982

Things aren't looking real good for me to ride this year. Maybe later in the year. I'm hopefully moving in several months and I just haven't made fixing my bike or replacing my fucked up gear a financial priority. The gear is going to cost the most for sure.
It is sad to read. That said, we all know that riding is a pastime - and a luxury one - and that it is normal for other things in life to take precedence.

Continuing my run of test rides with the R1200RS and the S1000R yesterday. Both stunning bikes in different ways.

The R1200RS is smooth, comfortable and effortless to ride. Was really surprised how easy it was through traffic. Meant to go for an hour and ended up 2 hours through traffic and motorways. Loved the quick shifter but first to second is pretty clunky (apparently a lot better if you short shift first to second, and it has plenty of torque to pull with from low). Had to move the screen up on the motorway which is practically impossible when moving which is a shame. Could put cruise control on and grab it with both hands to adjust but not easy.

The R1200RS is definitely top of my list at the moment.

The S1000R I only got 1/2 hour on through town so didn't explore it much but even that short stint was quite an experience. So nice to ride! More forward leaning than I was expecting. Super smooth engine and gearbox. Stunning sound when rolling off even with the standard exhaust. I need to get another decent ride on that one.

Next up is the 2016 Speed Triple R tomorrow.

Dougald

I really, really like the RS. Saw it in person at the bike show and it's even nicer than in photos. If the used price nudges below 10k next year it'll be a serious contender for my new bike (even if it means two boxer BMWs in the garage). It ticks pretty much all the boxes for what I'm looking for - something I could ride in comfort to the shops or to the Alps.

Ordered my new parts. I decided to go the whole hog and replace the Rectifier at the same time as apparently they are prone to failure on the triple (and may be the cause of my stators death). Ended up going for an aftermarket stator at £130, and the same rectifier as the OEM triumph one without the triumph branding for similar. Still comes in almost £100 less than the price of just the OEM stator from Triumph direct (£320).

Next up is the 2016 Speed Triple R tomorrow.[/QUOTE]

Would like to hear what you say about the new Speed Triple... loads of updates and MCN has marked it again to win the shootout in it range.

It is sad to read. That said, we all know that riding is a pastime - and a luxury one - and that it is normal for other things in life to take precedence.

Yeah. Just sucks because I've ridden pretty much nonstop since summer of 2007. Having to take a break (of a year or more) hurts, especially as it gets nice out and everyone's out riding.

Dougald

Not to mention the gear, I have cover through my insurance but if I went down it would make my recent alternator issues look like pocket change just to replace what I was wearing, not to mention the bike

Hope you manage to get back on the bike soon

Top Bottom