• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2 wheel GAF UNITE!

I'm surprised BMW don't sell a (pricey) minimalistic endcap accessory for the third configuration...

EoqR1N2.png

Q8ncMTQ.png

I trained on a CBR250, and I've been riding my friends Ninja 300 for a while now. I initially thought about getting a Ninja 650, cause I feel I've outgrown the 300 but I don't want to buy it new, so I've been looking for a decent used one.

Nothing really good on the radar and I need to return my friends bike :p

I might get anything for now until the new GSXRs are out.

Edit: Just found a brand new R3 for $5k, good?

If you want a small jump from the CBR250, the R3 would be good. It's widely reported to be the best 300 right now. It sounds like you've been riding slightly more upright bikes than full on sportbikes. Gixxers are probably the most comfy race replica bikes, but they're certainly more aggressive than what you've been on. What makes you want to switch? The Ninja 650 is a better street bike than a GSX-R much of the time.

OraleeWey

Guys, I have the opportunity to ride with a group, if I don't go to work that is. I should note that they're not troublemakers, they're just looking to take secondary roads and enjoy the scenery. However, these people are older than me and I would be the youngest of the group (I'm in my lower 20's). Most of them are probably almost to twice my age (I'm assuming here but I'm sure I'm accurate), do you guys think I should take the opportunity even though the age difference? I'm mainly looking to see that scenery. That's what riding is all about after all. But they are "formal" they'll require me to stay in a staggered position. I don't know if I'll be able to pull that off. At this time I don't know how many there will be. So far it's 3 + myself. This could change, could be more, could be less.

Guys, I have the opportunity to ride with a group, if I don't go to work that is. I should note that they're not troublemakers, they're just looking to take secondary roads and enjoy the scenery. However, these people are older than me and I would be the youngest of the group (I'm in my lower 20's). Most of them are probably almost to twice my age (I'm assuming here but I'm sure I'm accurate), do you guys think I should take the opportunity even though the age difference? I'm mainly looking to see that scenery. That's what riding is all about after all. But they are "formal" they'll require me to stay in a staggered position. I don't know if I'll be able to pull that off. At this time I don't know how many there will be. So far it's 3 + myself. This could change, could be more, could be less.

Are you a novice rider? If so, I'd gain some experience first before riding in a group. Some groups I find tend to ride very tight formations, and if you're not confident in your skills yet you might find it offputting to have someone right behind you. I don't see how the ages come into it though, as long as you're not getting yourself into a lemon party...

edit: 3+you is a pretty small group though, I thought you were thinking 10+.

OraleeWey

Are you a novice rider? If so, I'd gain some experience first before riding in a group. Some groups I find tend to ride very tight formations, and if you're not confident in your skills yet you might find it offputting to have someone right behind you. I don't see how the ages come into it though, as long as you're not getting yourself into a lemon party...

edit: 3+you is a pretty small group though, I thought you were thinking 10+.

I would say I am novice. I'm fairly new. Regarding the number, I'm not sure how many there would be. More could turn up, or it could just be two of us. The leader has said that he has been in clubs with up to 300 riders.

Dougald

The best advice I can give about riding with others is to know the route beforehand and ride at your own pace. As a newer rider the last thing you want is to be riding outside your comfort zone in order to keep up

If you want a small jump from the CBR250, the R3 would be good. It's widely reported to be the best 300 right now. It sounds like you've been riding slightly more upright bikes than full on sportbikes. Gixxers are probably the most comfy race replica bikes, but they're certainly more aggressive than what you've been on. What makes you want to switch? The Ninja 650 is a better street bike than a GSX-R much of the time.

They hold track events for bikes in Yas Circuit (I'm staying in Abu Dhabi) and I'd like to have a bike ready for the track

And I can't finance more than one bike switch so I'd like to make a jump that can last me years, I'd really like to get an R3 or a Ninja 650 (I was set on getting the 650) as the ladder of jumping into slightly better bikes until I reach a leader bike is far more interesting to me than one or two big jumps.

In the end I might get a used R6 unless the 2017 model is a brand new one

Dougald

Given the way the 600 sportbike market is, I wouldn't count on a new r6 next year. By all accounts the current model is great, so I say go for it

Dougald

In more light hearted news, this Ducati Monster parked outside my friends office yesterday

7abnm7R.jpg

Yes, instead of using a kickstand, he's just propped it up with a bit of wood. Don't worry though, apparently today he didn't use the wood, instead he just left the bike leaning against his van...

Man :(

Balancing the bike against pieces of wood is probably more work than just fixing the damn kickstand. Poor bike.

Also, this thread is blowing up. A warm welcome to all the new participants.

Given the way the 600 sportbike market is, I wouldn't count on a new r6 next year. By all accounts the current model is great, so I say go for it

I'll wait until the weather gets a bit cooler and fortunately that's around the time new models are out.

I'll cross my fingers but I'm not keeping my hopes up, sadly.

Dougald

8w7efnu1zAaoo.gif

If all goes well I'm picking my Ducati up tomorrow!

I'll wait until the weather gets a bit cooler and fortunately that's around the time new models are out.

I'll cross my fingers but I'm not keeping my hopes up, sadly.

Shame really, I feel like the 600 class is much more versatile for the average person than a literbike, but people want power and they're neglected a bit. At least the 250/300 market is seeing a great revival

Kickstands are for pussies, anyway. It is dead weight and you loose in ground clearance... no?
:p

Maybe he likes to pretend he has a racebike and only uses paddock stands? That poor, poor Ducati.

Just found this thread.

Awesome looking bike you have there man, I'd love to get into off-road riding but there are virtually no green lanes around here where I can legally give it a go

^ Aw yiss

I trained on a CBR250, and I've been riding my friends Ninja 300 for a while now. I initially thought about getting a Ninja 650, cause I feel I've outgrown the 300 but I don't want to buy it new, so I've been looking for a decent used one.

Nothing really good on the radar and I need to return my friends bike :p

I might get anything for now until the new GSXRs are out.

Edit: Just found a brand new R3 for $5k, good?

I'd put that 5k towards something used. 5k buys a lot of bike these days. There's probably a bunch of MT07s (or FZ07s across the pond) to be had for that price over in the US? Maybe a Ducati 796 that's done some miles even. Don't buy an R3 if you feel you've outgrown the Ninja 300 :)

I would recommend a twin over a revvy inline 4 anyway. Apologies to anyone who's heard me say this over a thousand times now, but they are much more fun to drive at the speeds that are actually legal and better suited for beginners as well.

I do love the howl of 4 cilinders though, big and small. It's just too good.

They hold track events for bikes in Yas Circuit (I'm staying in Abu Dhabi) and I'd like to have a bike ready for the track

And I can't finance more than one bike switch so I'd like to make a jump that can last me years, I'd really like to get an R3 or a Ninja 650 (I was set on getting the 650) as the ladder of jumping into slightly better bikes until I reach a leader bike is far more interesting to me than one or two big jumps.

In the end I might get a used R6 unless the 2017 model is a brand new one

If you're going to be spending a good bit of time at the track, it's worth getting a bike with good suspension (fully adjustable). That often means going for a sportbike. The current R6 is a really good track bike, but is somewhat miserable for street use IMO. Unfortunately most smaller bikes, being targeted for cheaper price points, skimp on suspension and brakes. If you want one bike to do both, the GSX-R might indeed be a solid pick.

If I get a GSXR I'll get the 750 but it would nice of Suzuki if they updated it to look like the new 1000

I just want that digital dashboard and the new headlights

C78T9K3.jpg

2 days before I leave for Utah I burn out the clutch on my bike. Son of a bitch. I had to call 5 different harley dealers to find a clutch basket. Ended up having to drop $425 on a new one. Luckily my friend has all the other parts I need.

2 days before I leave for Utah I burn out the clutch on my bike. Son of a bitch. I had to call 5 different harley dealers to find a clutch basket. Ended up having to drop $425 on a new one. Luckily my friend has all the other parts I need.

damn man, that is not great to spend money when you are all ready for a holiday. Atleast you know its sorted for the trip. Hope you get it all sorted before you leave

Dougald

Clearly all that sweet trail riding is hard on the clutch... At least it happened before your trip and not during, hope you get it all sorted out

Wolfe

In more light hearted news, this Ducati Monster parked outside my friends office yesterday

7abnm7R.jpg

Yes, instead of using a kickstand, he's just propped it up with a bit of wood. Don't worry though, apparently today he didn't use the wood, instead he just left the bike leaning against his van...

Forget about the lack of stand, is that tire cord I see?

@Dougald are you picking up the bike today? I can just see you smiling from ear to ear. We going to need a walk around and a sound clip of the bike hehe

Dougald

What a day... I said they were a new dealership didn't I? Well, I drove the ~90 miles there and the new service hadn't been done... Credit where credit's due, they did manage to squeeze it in today so I just ended up sodding off down McDonalds for 2 hours while they changed the oil.. but I was this close to leaving empty-handed and having them deliver the bike to me on Friday

I just got home and it's bloody sodding freezing and wet, a proper British day to collect a new bike... luckily I didn't mind so much as this thing is so damn enjoyable to ride. I have changed my mind on the switchgear being terrible, it's actually pretty passable once you get used to it. Here are a couple of pics, I'll try and put up a video with startup when the weather isn't horrendous - I'm planning on doing the Ace Cafe run this monday so should get some footage of that.

trtsycR.jpg

N5AMjlt.jpg

It's so damn easy to ride, and I love the nice flat, wide bars. The bike is a little bit vibey at 70mph in 5th gear, after an hour my right thumb went numb. Mirrors are perfectly fine up to about 60, when they start to shake too! Just like the R1150R... Seat is a lot more comfortable than I'm used to and really does hold up well, nice and plush.

It's going to take some getting used to, gone are the days of easy, lazy torque from the Triumph. But when you have it in the right gear on a decent bit of road... you forget all your troubles. And that's why I ride

Edit; also, the previous owner had replaced the stock PIrelli Diablo Rosso tyres with Pilot Road 4s... a man after my own heart. You wouldn't even know it was raining with those on.

Dougald

Based on fuel use on the way home (6.6 litres), I should over 200 miles to the tank too, which is pretty damn good for a naked bike. I'd also like to add what a pain in the arse buying petrol in litres and calculating distance in miles is.

What a day... I said they were a new dealership didn't I? Well, I drove the ~90 miles there and the new service hadn't been done... Credit where credit's due, they did manage to squeeze it in today so I just ended up sodding off down McDonalds for 2 hours while they changed the oil.. but I was this close to leaving empty-handed and having them deliver the bike to me on Friday

I just got home and it's bloody sodding freezing and wet, a proper British day to collect a new bike... luckily I didn't mind so much as this thing is so damn enjoyable to ride. I have changed my mind on the switchgear being terrible, it's actually pretty passable once you get used to it. Here are a couple of pics, I'll try and put up a video with startup when the weather isn't horrendous - I'm planning on doing the Ace Cafe run this monday so should get some footage of that.

trtsycR.jpg

N5AMjlt.jpg

It's so damn easy to ride, and I love the nice flat, wide bars. The bike is a little bit vibey at 70mph in 5th gear, after an hour my right thumb went numb. Mirrors are perfectly fine up to about 60, when they start to shake too! Just like the R1150R... Seat is a lot more comfortable than I'm used to and really does hold up well, nice and plush.

It's going to take some getting used to, gone are the days of easy, lazy torque from the Triumph. But when you have it in the right gear on a decent bit of road... you forget all your troubles. And that's why I ride

Edit; also, the previous owner had replaced the stock PIrelli Diablo Rosso tyres with Pilot Road 4s... a man after my own heart. You wouldn't even know it was raining with those on.

awesome awesome... I hope you have a great weekend of riding.

trtsycR.jpg

N5AMjlt.jpg

Love the muscular look, very nice. Also what a stroke of luck with those tires! Recently had Pilot Roads fitted on my Ulysses, love em to death.

Congrats on the new bike!

OraleeWey

trtsycR.jpg

N5AMjlt.jpg

Nice bike man! Glad you can finally ride.

I was hoping I could get some insight from you guys. I have a 2014 Harley Road King and I have EBC sintered brake pads on both front and rear.

In the final couple of feet of braking I'm getting some vibration and a grinding/dragging sound from the rear brake. I pulled the rotor and it's working properly and the brake pad is not anywhere near the minimum though it is in range for replacement. They're wearing evenly and I know it's not the backing hitting the rotor. The bike still stops great too. No issues at all.

I know in some cars they're built to make a noise when they get on the thin side but I'm not sure if this is the case here. All my previous pads (not EBC) didn't do this. Either way I ordered a set but they won't be here til Friday so I thought I'd get a sanity check from you guys.

Dougald

Uhh, could be anything. I suspect pads are the likely culprit though. Brake disc could be warped a little, but I doubt you have a run off gauge to easily test that. I assume the tyre is tip top? Only other thing I can think of would be wheel bearings

My money's on the pads though

nico1982

I pulled the rotor and it's working properly and the brake pad is not anywhere near the minimum though it is in range for replacement.
The rotor shows signs of damage/deformations? Vitrified brake pads? Anyway, I'd get a new pair of pads and check if the issue persists. Keep the old ones and finish them off once the issue has been solved.

With each passing year, I feel the design just gets more busy. It looked best with the introduction of the Street and, I guess, the first years of the 'insect' headlights. Speed looks a bit better thanks to the underseat pipes and the rear swingarm of course, but yeah, I hope they tone it down some for the next iteration.

Top Bottom